Posted

PlayStation VR is the official name for the PS4 virtual reality system

A brief update on the incoming headset

We’ve a brief update for you today on the PS4 virtual reality headset. Earlier this morning at the SCEJA Press Conference 2015 in Tokyo we announced the official name for the system: PlayStation VR.

“The name ‘PlayStation VR’ not only directly expresses an entirely new experience from PlayStation that allows players to feel as if they are physically inside the virtual world of a game, but it also reflects our hopes that we want our users to feel a sense of familiarity as they enjoy this amazing experience,” said Masayasu Ito, EVP, Division president of PS Product Business and VP, Software Design Division.

“We will continue to refine the hardware from various aspects, while working alongside 3rd party developers and publishers and SCE Worldwide Studios, in order to bring content that deliver exciting experiences only made possible with VR.”

Look out for more news on PlayStation VR in the coming months.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

41 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

turbogeek421 15 September, 2015 @ 9:37 am   1

Looking forward to seeing what comes from PS VR! Fingers crossed for good (affordable) things!

Well… could have been worse.

A name that tells everyone what it is… However, it’s a bit boring!

Oh and isn’t that the old model in the header photo. The new one has the blue light on the front centre, too.

Project Morpheus sounded so much cooler and exciting. The link to The Matrix where living in a VR world of waking up in the real world is presented by Morpheus. But. although uninspiring it’s probably more clear to the general public to what it is. I still have to wait and see if any games or experiances will tikkel my fancy before I buy into it and if the thing fits on my head.

Now the question is:

Should we tell @OttoT that Morhpeus is a name of Greek God of dreams? And that both PSVR and character in Matrix were named after him?

So yeah… no link to the matrix.

@Archacus I’m sure he knows that. Just who thinks about a Greek God if he or she hears the name Morpheus especially when that person watched “the Matrix”.

jellyhedgehog 15 September, 2015 @ 12:45 pm

I guess Archacus doesn’t know that his name is the Greek God of who gives a poop.

@jellyhedgehog
    … hmm… ok.

Have a nice day.

After buying Vita, Eye Toy, Move etc. I would have to be mad to invest my money into PSVR.

So far only FF XIV and Eve seems big… the rest? Not really.

I agree after buying all the other things Sony made a few games for then forgot about them I think I’ll keep my cash this time.

Kinky_Friedman 15 September, 2015 @ 11:46 am

Yup, just look at the new announcement for Gravity Rush 2 on the PS4…and not for the Vita! Frankly Sony need to be a bit more professional in their attitude towards these things if it wants to get people interested in future add-ons/new hardware.

Kinky_Friedman 15 September, 2015 @ 11:52 am

For the love of your own profit-margin Sony, support the thing with plenty of games please!
    Hopefully they’ve learned from the PS Vita fiasco that it doesn’t matter how cool the hardware is (and by Jove do I love my Vita) – actual games and actual advertisements are the only things that will give new hardware a decent chance.

Yep same as you really, eye toy was an utter waste of time and money 🙁 Quite liked Move especially with Killzone 3 and the Sharpshooter 😀 Now that with VR support would be pretty damn cool. My Vita is now my portable Minecraft machine, I flatten the battery every day just playing that. I’ll be exceptionally happy if No Man’s Sky gets VR support, I’d buy into PSVR just for that.

psyhakiasman2 15 September, 2015 @ 9:59 am   7

Why?
Firstly you named the coolo sounding NGP to vita,which was lame and now you change Morpheus to VR.
Don’t you have anyone with a naming sense?

I’m not mindlessly [DELETED] my hard earned money on this until they can prove it will be supported.

I got robbed on the camera. I should have known better…..but it was PS4 launch day and I was excited.

SiodhachanS 15 September, 2015 @ 3:53 pm

You’ll probably want the camera for PSVR for motion tracking the light on your DS4 when you wear the headset and move around (same idea as the PS Move controller) so don’t sell it off too quickly.

SiodhachanS 15 September, 2015 @ 3:58 pm

To both embrace the change yet retain the interest factor of the previous name, I will probably refer to the experience as PSVR, which will include the PS Camera which motion tracks the light on the DS4 as well as the “Morpheus” headset. I don’t think I could stop referring to the headset as such.

madmanwithabox12 15 September, 2015 @ 10:11 am   9

The Danganronpa VR demo looks incredible, I hope that leads to something awesomely terrifying down the line.

Should at least do a “Playstation 4 Morpheous Bundle” when it launches to keep that name alive.
I understand PS VR will just make more sense to more people in the long run but the matrix connection is there.
Who’s going to do the first matrix game?

PlayStation Morpheus or Sony Morpheus (or both: Sony PlayStation Morpheus) sounded much more interesting to me. It would definitely invoke my curiosity much more than PlayStationVR if I wouldn’t know what VR was.

Imho, a new, innovative tech product should mean a new, unique brand. Especially since that is Sony tradition:

Trinitron, Handycam, Cybershot, Alpha, Walkman, Bravia, Vaio, Aibo, Xperia, Triluminos, Exmor, PlayStation etc

Because, I think, with the name ‘PlayStationVR’, you’re saying there’s more VR than just VR with PlayStation.

With a unique name, like Morpheus( like you would do for PlayStation, Walkman or Handycam) you are associating your own unique brand with that new product category (in this case, a VR HMD system), which can be a big commercial advantage if you are on track to become a significant player in the VR market for consumers.

FallingStickman 15 September, 2015 @ 12:27 pm   12

So you take a product with a distinctive name and change that name into the most generic one you can think of.
Is that good marketing? I doubt that.

No, just no Sony. I thought the boring name what it is died with move, playstation portable, eye toy. VR shows no imagination, no spark, no flair or mystery. Atleast drop the word project, the fans would be happy with this. Also simply calling it playstation VR will confuse some people and they my not realize it is a Sony only product. It may suffer the same problem as the wii U (some people don’t even realize it’s new machine) long live Morpheus. When I get mine I will name it such.

Carnivius_Prime 15 September, 2015 @ 1:54 pm   14

I still have zero interest in VR (I seriously don’t like wearing helmets for gaming. Too claustrophobic) but at least it has a much less pretentious name.

VitalogyPJ 15 September, 2015 @ 5:33 pm   15

I’m going to call it: flop.

Stonesthrow 15 September, 2015 @ 6:13 pm   16

I wasn’t interested in this and after seeing some of the software I’m interested even less. They look like nothing more than tech demo’s. I just don’t see this getting big anytime soon.

SiodhachanS 15 September, 2015 @ 7:10 pm   17

Finka_Karfein 15 September, 2015 @ 8:44 pm   18

I want to believe in the Sony’s support for VR. But I somehow can’t. Sony neglects Vita – if it wasn’t for Japanese games, I’d have already played everything worth playing on Vita. Sony neglects Move – not even Sports Champions 3 on PS4… Sony neglects PS Camera – nearly nothing there.

Even PSP seems better supported than Camera and Move combined. Suikoden, for example.

A backwards step, I think. Descriptive, but nowhere near as emotive as Project Morpheus.

For all that I am looking forward to VR, and will probably be looking to pick one up eventually, at the moment I just don’t see the killer app. I see a lot of tech demos masquerading as games, but even with a Final Fantasy XIV demo at TGS (which according to reports is only going to be a demo, and not a new game mode) I just don’t see the thing that’s going to make people run out and buy this.

What are the main games announced so far?

RIGS – a multiplayer only mech arena shooter that will have about as much longevity as Titanfall.
Eve Valkyrie – perhaps the killer app for some people, but again it’s multiplayer only, so will have limited appeal
Ark – again, online multiplayer, and this is a game that has seen its share of criticism in early access on PC
War Thunder – a free to play grindfest, and also multiplayer only (are we seeing a trend here?)
Project Cars – the one real big single player experience amongst them, but driving games are not for everyone, and it needs more than this.
And a whole host of small titles that seem more like feature demos than full price games.

Until we see the real single player epic releases, this isn’t going to appeal to a wider audience. We need to see Fallout 4, VR ready. We need to see Elite: Dangerous, No Man’s Sky, Destiny, GTAV, Sword Art Online, all patched to be ready for VR. I’m certainly not shelling out £200+, and let’s face it, it’s going to cost at least £200 (and maybe more), for what’s been promised so far.

I’ve gotta say, this name is very, VERY original!

The person who came up with it is so awesomely creative, and those who approved it are so insanely visionary.

Bravo! Bravo!

Marketing Guy: “We having being working hard for a year and spent 2.3 million dollars but finally we have a name….Playstation VR!”
Playstation Executive : “Thats…..Brilliant!! Well done boys”

I can just imagine Sony sitting around a table to think up names for morpheus and they couldn’t be bothered t sit for long so the first name that got shouted out was Playstation VR and then that was that! Most unoriginal name they could possibly have given it!

Given Sony’s track record with their accessories and handhelds, we’ll get a 300+€ gadget with only a couple of games for it and then it’ll be abandoned like a piece of junk.

Nesstark88 25 September, 2015 @ 1:28 pm   24

We need a VR Cinema app for PS4 on release!

Buzzyrick 1 October, 2015 @ 4:13 am   25

Cool looking foward to the new technoligy