Posted

The Witness release date confirmed for 26 January 2016

Jonathan Blow’s keenly anticipated Braid follow-up is finally upon us

Hi everyone! We finally know the release date for The Witness: it’s 26th January 2016. That’s about four months from now, and it will be a very busy four months as we work hard to make the game the absolute best we can.

We’ve also got a new trailer, which you can watch above.

We’ll be very happy to get the game out into the world, because we’ve been working on it a long time! We originally thought The Witness would be coming out toward the end of the PS4 launch window, but… there’s just been a lot to do. I think when the game is in your hands, you’ll find it to be intricate and deep, and also unlike anything else you have played.

#07 - 20140604-0190#08 - Co_Op (5)

There’s a lot here. When we started making this game, I figured it would have between eight and 12 hours of playtime. As it happens, the game we’ve finally built is around 10 times as big as that. If you are a completionist who wants to wring every last drop out of the game, you might expect to play for 80 hours, or possibly 100. For people who don’t want to go quite that far, the game’s still got plenty for you.

Last time I posted to this blog was in May 2014. In that post, just for fun, I gave some stats about how many assets were in the game (3D meshes, animations, sounds, etc). Today I went back and took new measurements of all these things; here’s what we have:

# of files, May 2014 # of files, Today
Texture Maps: 1196 1606
Meshes: 4588 6224
Sounds: 2435 3117
Animations: 197 247
Entities: 1 1
Lightmaps: 17916 31821
Total files: 38387 57068

As you can see, we have not been idle!

But those numbers will only increase a tiny bit between now and release. For the most part we are fixing bugs, refining the feel of play and making sure everything is just right for January.

That’s all from me for now — back to working on the game! — but Justin from the SCEA PlayStation Blog team has been playing the preview version of The Witness and will be sharing his impressions soon.

DN_011 DN_020DN_CO-OP_004
Did you enjoy this?

Comments

23 Comments 3 Author replies
Show oldest first
spacedelete2 17 September, 2015 @ 5:07 pm   1

60 hour puzzle game what a joke lol. i’ll wait until its free on PS Plus.

Any plans for PlayStation VR support? I know it’s meant to support Oculus…

I am looking forward to it. I have been keeping an eye on this for a while.

It reminds me of Myst somehow, it would be great if I am right! Look forward for it)

Mr. Blow, who’s the composer behind the game’s music? And will I be able to purchase the soundtrack separately (on, say, bandcamp)?

This is clearly a huge title, cannot wait. But I’m going to want to own a 80-100 hour game on a disc, not just a download. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

Jonathan Blow 17 September, 2015 @ 8:46 pm

We are looking into possibilities for getting the game out to retail. We’ll see!

Stonesthrow 17 September, 2015 @ 9:14 pm

That’s what I wanted to know. I’ll hold out for a possible physical version.

Excellent, only a couple of days ago I checked your website to see how far along this game was. Been impatiently waiting since the ps4 reveal event.

What engine are you using? I’m a beginner developer myself, part of Derp Studios.

Any tips for a 3D modeller and level designer starting out?

Thanks 🙂

Jonathan Blow 17 September, 2015 @ 8:44 pm

It is our own engine. We spent a lot of effort building it.

As for tips … well … games are a lot of effort to make so you have just gotta work hard!

Done some research on this game this looks brilliant and you put alot of work on it, day 1 buy from me! Looks superb

ProxyArcane 17 September, 2015 @ 8:10 pm   10

2016 is off to a great start! And then we’ll have Uncharted 4, Street Fighter V, Ratchet And Clank all coming Q1/Q2 of 2016!

I’m sure it’s going to Blow our minds.

belmont_gr 17 September, 2015 @ 9:35 pm   12

Hey the game looks great, reminds me of Myst. Really looking forward to it. Has the price been decided yet or it is too early?

80-100 hours you say? Crikey! I’m so in! i love long games 🙂

If you’ve done as good a job on the puzzles as you have on the visuals then this is going to be a great game.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

It was the first game that I saw with such visual style, it’s really cool, but it sucks how other developer just straight up copy it instead of coming up with theyr own.

Hello!
I’m just curious about the price – full like AAA titles, or more similiar to price of fe. Everybody’s gone to the Rapture ??

dieselakita 20 September, 2015 @ 12:45 am   17

id forgotten all about this game

Fabulous, so eager to try your new piece Jonathan.