Posted

PS4 toddler horror Among the Sleep has a release date

Check out the new trailer for Krillbite Studio’s eccentric debut

Hi, everyone! My name is Kristina and I work at Krillbite Studio. We’re a small game developer from Norway. We are so happy to announce that Among the Sleep is coming to PlayStation 4 on 10th December!

This game isn’t for babies

We have received a lot of attention for the story in our game. Among the Sleep is a psychological horror game where you play as a two year old child. You get to experience the world through the eyes of a toddler with a vivid imagination that could easily scare your pants off. We wanted to create an atmospheric horror game with an eerie feeling of helplessness.

We have ported Among the Sleep from PC and it’s taken a while. Wonder why? It was caused by several reasons and the simple way to explain it is that there was a lot of technical work. If you are curious I’ll give you a short explanation!

E3_2015_Mediakit_018

Full visual upgrade

The porting required a conversion of our game engine, Unity. This project has been moved from Unity 3.0, to 3.5 and so forth all the way up to the most recent version 5.2. We wanted the game to look the best and work perfectly with the PlayStation 4 hardware. We had to redo the lightmapped levels and we had to rebake everything, which is fancy developer speak for fixing lights and putting it all together.

Another time-consuming issue with conversion were related to the physics engine used in the game. Unity uses Nvidia PhysX which has been completely redone in the newer versions of Unity. We encountered a lot of weird and funny bugs because of this. We saw chairs floating and doing 360s as you grabbed them, and apples flying hundreds of kilometres an hour. Among the Sleep was actually quite fun with fruit flying around randomly, but it sort of broke the atmosphere so we made the apples go back to their fruitbowl.

One of the coolest things in the PlayStation version of the game is the full audio-visual upgrade – Among the Sleep now has even better graphics and an even better sound experience. We think frame rate is an essential part of a good game experience and have worked hard to get the game to run at a proper 60 frames per second. This was probably the biggest part of the upgrade and it makes for a super smooth experience and does a lot for immersion!

E3_2015_Mediakit_018

Super excited for release

We are a young studio and we started making this game in school. We made a lot of strange stuff and code at the beginning of the project that has been coming back to bite us in our behinds during the porting process! But we have also learned so much that will help us make our next game development experience much smoother!

We are so proud of the PlayStation 4 version of the game and can’t wait for you to get your hands on it! You guys will be one of the first to be able to experience the commentary edition! The PC community have given us so much love for this horror game and we hope you will enjoy this even more polished version of the game this Christmas!

E3_2015_Mediakit_018

32 Comments
7 Author replies
nukualofaperson 29 September, 2015 @ 15:13

Damn. I need this. I’ve owned my PS4 for two and a half months, and I’ve bought over 50 games. How can I find time to play them all?

1.1

Story of my life.

1.2

50 games in two months and a half months wow that’s a lot, I owned mine since release and only own 4.

1.3

I got over 1000 games on my ps4

Looks good. Having a 2.5 year old mat make this even creepier! Would be interested to know the price.

Kristina Halvorsen 29 September, 2015 @ 15:20
2.1

We will have another post closer to release with details like that!

2.2

This game aint for kids so dnt get nightmares

Thanks for bringing this to PS4! I can’t wait to play it.

Kristina Halvorsen 29 September, 2015 @ 23:03
3.1

Aw! Thank you :D

o I played the demo of this years ago on pc ! this will make you jump =D

This seems interesting. From a very young age I had night terrors I had to be restrained as climbing and walking about while asleep is problematic (in other words I acted out what I was dreaming). I would see shapes and monsters in the static in a room with the lights out.

I’ve met other people who like me had night terrors and acted them out. Oddly we all had some intense fever as a toddler (with me Scarlet Fever). Maybe some people don’t realise this but toddlers heads can go to some pretty dark places.

As the proud owner of a 3 year old I can say it’s pretty amazing what goes on in there. I was told a few months ago that he’d had a dream I died, and he found “an app on a tablet that let me talk to daddy, but they only had a girl daddy”. I wonder if he’s ever somehow watched Black Mirror

Well you could say….ever hear of the one about a PM and a pig? If they say yes then chances are behind your back they have a collection of Chris Morris and Charlie Brooker dvd’s….actually that may have been true over a week ago…

Bet people start analysing every episode of Black Mirror for more from “the great prophet Charlie”

It was announced a while ago that this would support PlayStation VR. Is that still the case?

Kristina Halvorsen 29 September, 2015 @ 15:56
6.1

Hi! No, sorry, that is not in development anymore. If you would like to read our reasons you can check out the dev blog; krillbite.com/2015/09/21/we-are-stopping-vr-development-here-is-why-2/
We want to make a stand alone VR version, you can read about that as well. Cheers!

StevenJamesHyde 29 September, 2015 @ 16:17
6.2

A shame, but absolutely the right decision by the sound of the blog post

Yeah definitely getting the VR Version. Might hold off on getting this release and wait for the VR one instead.

Great game! Have this on GOG :) Highly recommended.

NOOOOOOOORWAAAAAAY

#knegg
spoken like a true viking…

its after 4pm and still no weekly store update post on the blog. whats going on?

Fred said on twitter :
Circumstances have conpsired this week. I’m working on it for asap tomorrow. Apologies.

Was this written in collusion with genuine toddlers? I realise this sounds insulting but I mean did you get feedback and input from kids, axe cop style?

Kristina Halvorsen 29 September, 2015 @ 16:12
10.1

We spent time with 1-2 year olds. This was to get the feel of walking (waddling and crawling) and do sound recordings, but they don’t do much talking. We also talked to child psychologists. Axe Cop is in a league of it’s on!

10.2

Haha thanks for the reply, I was lucky (or maybe not) as my son hasn’t stopped talking since he was 11 months!

My nephew turned 2 in August and he does not waddle. When he realised he could crawl faster than walking he did that..when he discovered he could run…he only runs now and everywhere. The only time he sits still is when playing the drums (which oddly he can genuinely play).

As for talking he says things like I don’t know or I’m happy. He mostly speaks his own language which unless you are 2 thee isnt a Rosetta Stone for. He did however discover how to cheat at arm wrestling at 3 months old. At age 1 he discovered how to open child protector caps on medicines and now has discovered how to break locks off of cabinets and doors. Toddlers are strange little humans

Don’t suppose you will bother with making it 3rd person for those who get motion sickness?

Kristina Halvorsen 29 September, 2015 @ 19:01
11.1

Hey! No, sorry.. We’re only going to release with first-person. Sorry to hear you get motion sick from it!

Aw, this looks kinda cute.

It was around that age when I last had nightmares.

Good times!

Looks nice for an indie. For that reason I don’t expect to see this in the PLUS igc any time soon..

I really respect this indie group of dedicated people, for making such a different approach to gaming and entertainment. Well xmas is coming early this year…been waiting and having my hopes up for a PS4 port since initial release…. and did i mention i´m also Norwegian? I guess not…;)

As long as all dlc with game il buy it

15.1

1st dlc will be called among the sheep it will be set on a farm

Kristina Halvorsen 30 September, 2015 @ 08:15
15.2

The DLC is included in the game when buying it :)

I’m glad we got some more information about this game I got worried not hearing about it for so long! Really happy its still coming to the system thank you :)

Kristina Halvorsen 29 September, 2015 @ 22:03
16.1

Sorry about that! Glad you are still excited! ^^

Nice

That Teddy bear seems kinda shady. Never trust a stuffed animal.

Looks great! Love my horror but since I can’t finish Alien Isolation yet due to the terror, while I will buy, I may never finish it still! Especially as I’ve just had a nephew born. “Shudder”

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history