Posted

Home Free is coming to PS4

It's a dog's life in the indie open world action-RPG, where players explore a cityscape generated uniquely for them.

Hi, I’m Kevin Cancienne, and I’m working on a game called Home Free, about the life of a dog lost in a randomly generated city. You play as that dog. You’ll need to find food, a safe place to sleep, and friends, both human and canine. Eventually, hopefully, you’ll find home.

I’m currently crowdfunding Home Free over on Kickstarter, and today I’m very happy to announce that I’ll be bringing the game to PlayStation 4!

I’ve been building Home Free for over two years now. It was born when I combined two projects I’d been working on — a procedural CityEngine and a local multiplayer dog wrasslin’ game called Dog Park.

It currently seems like we’re living in the golden age of video game dogs: the dog in COD: Ghosts, DD in MGS5, and Dogmeat in Fallout 4. And there have been a few games, over the years, where you get to play as a dog: Cult favourite A Dog’s Life on PS2, of course. You can even briefly control Chop in GTA V. And Okami has a special place in my heart (OK, technically Amaterasu isn’t a dog, she’s a mythological wolf sun goddess. But still).

#07 - 20140604-0190#08 - Co_Op (5)

I was interested in making a game where you’re basically just a dog, seeing the world from a dog’s perspective. A game where you can run, jump, wrestle, tackle, and sniff butts. That’s why I started by creating Dog Park for NYU’s No Quarter Show in 2014. I wanted to create a game about the sheer joy and physicality of dog play.

But ultimately, I had something bigger in mind. The idea of being a dog in an open world city game seemed like something I had to pursue. A dog can’t steal a car or shoot a gun, but has to use its instincts to survive in an environment that wasn’t built with canines in mind.

E3_2015_Mediakit_018

With my random city generator, I had a way to create a place where no one’s been before, a place where every player can feel truly lost. I was inspired by the vibrant, abstract visions of Tokyo on display in games like Jet Set Radio and Katamari Damacy, and now I had a way to create a near-infinite number of variations on them.

Home Free still has a way to go, which is why I took the game to Kickstarter. I estimate I still have about another year of work to do until it’s done. Kickstarter has helped me get the money I need to focus completely on the project and to pay some folks to help with the parts I can’t do myself. The Kickstarter is now fully funded, but there are still some fun stretch goals to reach. And if you back it now, you can reserve yourself a digital copy when it comes out on PS4.

I recently checked out the Home Free trailer on the big TV in my living room for the first time. Seeing it like that, a glimpse of how it will look on PS4, briefly gave me chills. The game already feels great with a controller in your hand, and I’m so happy to be able to share it with PlayStation owners around the world.

30 Comments
0 Author replies

This looks rather unique, in a good way. :)

nukualofaperson 13 October, 2015 @ 16:12

Looks interesting. We’ll be waiting :) My son will probably love this too.

zalwelgoedgaan 13 October, 2015 @ 16:16

How often are you called Kevin Canine?

This looks fantastic, not enough dogs in games!

This look so… weird.
But will most likely give it a shot when it’s out if it’s a fair price, since i really enjoy unique games that tries something completely different.

LOVE the visual style, and LOVE the premise.
This one’s got a ton of potential, don’t let me down!

My wife is going to love this!

beautifuldedgirl 13 October, 2015 @ 16:55

This makes me really happy. I’d heard about this before and just written it off as another Goat Simulator, but this sounds excellent! The random-city-generator twinned with the premise..awesome, good luck getting it finished!

For once, a unique indie game that isn’t just pixelated nonsense of FPV. Thank you for not going with the bandwagon.

Also reminds me of Dog’s Life on PS2.

Heh… almost forgot about that game, i like that they called it a cult favourite… loved it back in the day.

Anything that reminds me of Dog’s Life on PS2 will get my attention… and money.

Loved Dog’s Life and Tokyo Jungle and gonna love this game! So unique!

As a dog owner I’ll be buying this game. Looks amazing. :)

Daaamn, would love to play this in my vita :o

13.1

on*

Awesome! I’ve adjusted my pledge accordingly to nab a copy for my PS4 :)

so excited to get this game i loved the games a dogs life and Tokyo jungle
we really need more unique games like these

Inherentdragon 13 October, 2015 @ 22:42

Loved Dogs Life on ps2 all those years ago and this looks great! Looks sad though,I already feel sorry for that dog!

Any possibility of this coming to PC or Xbox?
This game looks absolutely great tho! And I will be backing it and picking up a PS4 copy! Keep up the great work.

Glad I learned about the game and very happy that it’s coming to PS4. Backed the Kickstarter because I love dogs, the concept of the game and the fact that it has Shiba Inus.

I have to back this. We have a, now, one year old former (greek) stray.
http://screencast.com/t/O5VyjEXfP <– Here's "Bert".

He only spent the first 5-6 months of his life on the street, but that clip of the dog curling up in alley hit me right in the feels. Thanks for making this and bringing it to the PS4.

We really could do with Tokyo jungle on the store for ps4 while we wait for this to be released

Can I bite people in this game ?

This actually seems like a great idea. Cant wait to play!

Wow, I had no idea how many people loved A Dog’s Life…and double wow that someone created a game inspired by it. I absolutely loved A Dog’s Life so I will look forward to the release of Home Free

So now is anyone going to be making a game inspired by Mr Moskeeto?

Finka_Karfein 14 October, 2015 @ 16:03

Looks awesome. Loved Tokyo Jungle, didn’t know about the Dog’s Life (will take a look at it later on) so thanks for the info :D

If the game sells well, would you consider a similar product but with cats? Or as DLC? Cats without dogs on the street would be weird ;)

fps_d0minat0r 14 October, 2015 @ 18:36

wow its a miracle…. an indie game that isnt a 2d puzzle or platformer… and genuinely does look original.

I’ll copy and paste a comment from youtube:
“This would be a perfect game for the ps plus members……….I’m talking to you Sony”

Looks great! Will pick it up when it comes out.

(In Okami Amaterasu shows herself as a Wolf btw, not a dog :P )

26.1

Oops that’s what you wrote. Disregard. lol.

A dream come true for me … just reserve me that lamp post ….. and I’ll be sure to avoid dat mean dog catcher ! it’s a dog eat dog world !

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history