Posted

Introducing Detroit, the new PS4 game from Quantic Dream

The studio behind Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls reveals its latest project

Hi everyone. Some of you might remember a PS3 tech demo called KARA that we released in 2012. It was about an android who discovered she could feel emotions and appeared to be sentient. Many people were deeply moved by this character and felt empathy for this character who just wanted to live. But everyone had the same question: what happens to Kara when she leaves the factory?

I kept asking myself the same question since we released this short. I knew I had to find out!

So we imagined our world in a near future where androids like Kara would look, speak and move like real human beings. We wondered how we – humans – would react if we were confronted with a new form of intelligence, how androids conceived as machines would be perceived if they started to have emotions.

DETROIT_KARA_CLOSEUP01_HD DETROIT_KARA_WINDOW01DETROIT_KARA_WINDOW02

We didn’t want to do another story on AI (there are already so many great ones), we wanted to talk about what it means to be human and what it would be like to be in the shoes of an android discovering our world and their own emotions…

I am really excited to announce that Quantic Dream‘s new title is called Detroit. This is our first teaser.

DETROIT_URBANFIELDS02DETROIT_CITY01_HD
DETROIT_WINDOWSHOP01
DETROIT_VITRINE_02_HDDETROIT_VITRINE_01_HD
DETROIT_ANDROID_VIEW_01DETROIT_ANDROID_VIEW_02
Did you enjoy this?

Comments

52 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

hoard_moard 27 October, 2015 @ 6:48 pm   1

Wow, this looks incredible and the story is promising!
I’m especially impressed with the motion capture. Day one buy!

rayna-monique 27 October, 2015 @ 6:56 pm

David cage tells a amazing story in games he makes platinum games he did it with heavy rain beyond two souls now his ganna do it with detroit

rayna-monique 27 October, 2015 @ 6:53 pm   2

Day 1 buy but was look forward to see heavy rain but maby new news soon I hope

KARA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😛 😛 😛 I really wanted them to make this after seeing that Demo years ago 😉

David Cage. All i needed to see, and i knew it was an instant buy. Always engaging story-telling.

I’m in love…. with Detroid: Become Human

Out of all of the trailers that I just watched Detroit struck me the most poignant as being the game and the story that I most want to play. Many of us struggle to be more humanely human, yet this game is about a machine that wants to be recognised as just that. Perhaps this is really what the story is mirroring in us. How we can discriminate and exclude others due to pre-conceived notions that we take in as we grow up. How skin colour, sexuality, religion or creed can see ourselves set apart from others for their being the “other”. Maybe David is trying to teach us something here, and if he is, then let us hope that we take it in and listen to what he might be saying, for our own betterment.

Knighstalker 27 October, 2015 @ 7:09 pm   7

I think you are the first to get the eyes right. Your characters truly look alive!

VitalogyPJ 27 October, 2015 @ 7:11 pm   8

OMG I knew D. Cage wasn’t going to ignore the positive feedback from Kara’s tech demo. I just hope this game has a SINGLE ending and not spoiled with 10 endings -.-‘

Come on Mr. Cage don’t ruin this one.

Stonesthrow 27 October, 2015 @ 7:19 pm   9

Waaaaaah! So excited for this!! Haven’t been this excited since the Last of Us and I’m even more excited for this 😮
This is exactly what I needed right now.. LOVE how you’re doing a follow up on Kara (expected a follow up on the PS4 tech demo with the old wizard, which looked awesome as well, but this is so much better and totally unexpected!), which was just a short demo that invoked deep emotions all the same. Anything you guys do is gold, but this is honestly better than I could have ever hoped for! Love sci-fi too and this looks like it could be my favorite Quantic Dreams game as of yet. Keep up the amazing work! This is going to be hell waiting for ><

Inherentdragon 27 October, 2015 @ 7:42 pm   10

Amazing!Day one buy for me :))

stewebabe 27 October, 2015 @ 7:48 pm   11

This would make a epic movie, nothing so epic has been seen since “the matrix” waiting with great great expectations.

medenko1975 27 October, 2015 @ 7:50 pm   12

release date now!?!!

PLEASE?

nakano1987 27 October, 2015 @ 7:50 pm   13

Kara’s tech demo was amazing and this is good too. Maybe I should have purchased the PS4 when I was visiting Japan just for this game (and Tekken 7 – if online play wouldn’t cost) – I did purchase PS3 for Heavy Rain. Will wait the reception this time though since Beyond: Two Souls wasn’t really that good overall experience.

MP_is_for_Chumps 27 October, 2015 @ 7:51 pm   14

He’s the real David Cage, all the rest are just poor imitators,
so wont the real David Cage please stand up, please stand up, please stand up, please stand up 🙂

alienTHRYLOS 27 October, 2015 @ 7:55 pm   15

Overall this was a boring afternoon with most of games: “Beta next year”.
However this announcement was the best part. This is a game that I am very interested to play and to follow relative updates.

this game looks great! huge fan of quantic dream would love a remake of omikron the nomad soul

dark_angel69 27 October, 2015 @ 8:00 pm   17

I love a game with a great story and I can tell this is going to be amazing!!! You tell some great stories David! Really love Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls so I have complete faith in this game becoming really good too!

gameserbia 27 October, 2015 @ 8:10 pm   18

David Cage if you read this I just want to write that you knocked me off the chair when I saw this trailer.You are the best and Thank you

It seems to be the cool thing to hate on Quantic Dreams (and David Cage personally… unfortunately.) But i love these type of games, this is absolutely a day 1 buy for me.

Yay, EMOTIONS!!!!!!

CluckNuggets 27 October, 2015 @ 8:39 pm   21

These games are a complete escape from other genres, I love how rich the stories are. I can’t wait to play this.

Carnivius_Prime 27 October, 2015 @ 8:45 pm   22

No thanks. The Quantic Dream ‘games’ were barely that at all. They’re just the modern equivalent of the old Dragon’s Lair arcade game. 99 percent movie with barely much in the way of actual gameplay.
Heavy Rain was one of the worst games I had on my PS3. These characters still look far too much uncanny valley and fake even here on PS4.

Nyoron-purin 27 October, 2015 @ 8:53 pm   23

One of the main reasons why I don’t have a PS4 is because Quantic Dream hasn’t released a game for it yet! Bundle this with a slim PS4 and I’ll buy it for sure.

itz_Ruslan 27 October, 2015 @ 9:29 pm   24

Thanks… really really thanks for it!

DoYouLikeMyID 27 October, 2015 @ 9:39 pm   25

I’ve been wanting a game about Kara’s story ever since the tech demo was released! 😀 Also, might I just add… The game looks absolutely stunning. 🙂

Gust_Blade 27 October, 2015 @ 10:05 pm   26

Sorry , i don’t turn my console on to be depressed .
Go back to making movies .

why have you increased the price of the Bloodborne DLC? You stated it was £11.99 but now showing as £15.99. Not acceptable

damien14273 27 October, 2015 @ 11:51 pm   28

Great premise, will buy day one!

wizzfizzguy 28 October, 2015 @ 1:43 am   29

I love what you try to do with games, and tell meaningful stories. I do feel that the dialogue and writing often lets things down though. I hope you have hired some screenwriters to help this time!

uglyman23 28 October, 2015 @ 2:19 am   30

this just looks amazing and i really hope this is as engaging to play as much as the trailer makes it to look like it would certainly be a must buy.

Don’t need to know what it’s about. Knowing who it’s from is already enough to have me counting the minutes until release!

XtianHawkGamer 28 October, 2015 @ 8:01 am   32

YAY!! KARA is finally happening!! Picking this up on day one! 😀

salvogdaze 28 October, 2015 @ 8:05 am   33

The only game from PGW that I’m looking forward to hearing/seeing more about. Motion capture and visuals in general look incredible (as expected from you people!) and I can’t wait to see some gameplay. I really hope it isn’t an action game, but your usual story-focused fare. Congrats and best wishes!

Andre-Veelt 28 October, 2015 @ 8:14 am   34

YES YES!!! Finally a new game from Quantic Dream. Tears of happiness 😀 😀 😀

FantasyMeister 28 October, 2015 @ 9:39 am   35

The synopsis sounds very close to EX_MACHINA so I’m hoping, despite the genre being covered by films for many, many years, that you’ll be able to bring something new to the ‘what it means to be human’ discussions. It’s a theme that I love so I’ll be there day one, hope development goes smoothly for all of you.

same, i love things about androids, anyone see the uk program humans? it’s similar to this when the androids are free to do things similar to humans, can’t wait for detroit!

DarknessGene 28 October, 2015 @ 12:12 pm   36

David Cage is a master. Love what he does. Can’t wait for this!

bestheelever 28 October, 2015 @ 12:21 pm   37

Day one buy obviously. If we can get a full catalogue of quantic dream gamees on the ps4 at some point that would be even better 🙂

Sony, you should get Quantic Dream under your wings with the other talented first-party developers. They earned it, they can deliver such games that we never could imagen in our childhood.

Thanks Quantic Dream for all the wonderfull games you deliver!

ProxyArcane 29 October, 2015 @ 1:02 am   39

I wasn’t disappointed with Beyond Two Souls, but most critics were. David, I hope you will take those criticism to heart and make Detroit even better.

SolidGear3 29 October, 2015 @ 5:07 am   40

Been a fan since Indigo Prophecy and am really excited about this. Beyond: Two Souls was my last day one purchase and preorder and this will definitely be another. Ellen Page has been my favorite actress for 10 years.. What was it like working with her on Beyond?

maximalcheetor 29 October, 2015 @ 10:25 am   41

Thankfully David Cage! I’ve been holding back on getting a PS4 until now as nothing has really appealed to me and I’ve been more than happy with the massive range I have on my Vita right now (too many to count right now) but this is the game changer!

PS4 here I come!

Aarrif236 30 October, 2015 @ 7:13 pm   42

Yes! Kara, where hv u been?

Doodlebugged 2 November, 2015 @ 8:35 pm   43

This short clip was better than the entire series of Humans on Channel4.

iWaleed_85 11 November, 2015 @ 10:33 am   44

detroit become human being LOVE YOU

TIMONATOR 20 November, 2015 @ 1:26 am   45

Defo going to pre order this.