Posted

Dragon Fin Soup arrives next week on PS4, PS3 & PS Vita, free for PS Plus

The new twisted roguelike action-RPG from Grimm Bros

Hey, everyone! It’s finally time! After three long years of nonstop development by five indie developers, Dragon Fin Soup is finally ready to be served! For those of you who haven’t heard of Dragon Fin Soup, you can check out our previous PS Blog posts here and here, or just let us give you a refresher :)

Dragon Fin Soup

Dragon Fin Soup is a tactical-action RPG with roguelike elements set in a twisted tongue-in-cheek fairytale world. Inspired by those ingredients, the game features a 2D top-down camera and fluid turn-based movement that allows you to set the pace.

Dragon Fin Soup seamlessly blends genres to create a fresh experience: half story-driven tactical RPG and half high-stakes roguelike, with a pinch of crass humor and a heaping helping of murder & madness set in a procedurally generated fantasy world.

Dragon Fin SoupDragon Fin SoupDragon Fin Soup

Meet Red Robin, a charming, raging alcoholic bounty hunter who would rather get into a bar fight than deliver baked goods. Players must take up Robin’s blades and set out across Asura — a lushly colorful, fantasy world that sits on the back of an enormous space turtle — on a journey to discover the secrets of her bloody past.

Warning: This game is not for the casual player and can be highly addictive. We really went overboard with Dragon Fin Soup and threw in everything we found fun:

• Superfluid turn-based tactical combat
  • Raging alcoholic bounty hunter heroine
  • Traces of dark majesty from the original Grimm tales
  • New procedurally-generated world each time you play
  • Mercenaries for hire and awesome pets to collect
  • Over 60+ hours of gameplay in Story, Survival, and Labyrinth modes
  • Gorgeous 2D world, all created by award winning artist Randis Albion

Dragon Fin Soup is the first of what we hope to be many RPGs we create and share with you. With your patronage and support we will continue to expand the world of Dragon Fin Soup and listen to your feedback.

To show our everlasting appreciation, enjoy these HD wallpapers painted by Randis Albion! You can download them here.

Dragon Fin SoupDragon Fin Soup

We are very excited to finally be launching our baby and hope you enjoy Dragon Fin Soup as much as we enjoyed making it.

If you’re on the fence as to whether Dragon Fin Soup is right for you, have no fear! Here is a candid in-depth gameplay showcase from PAX Rising 2015.

81 Comments
57 Author replies

Hey Ash! How about the trophies? Maybe we can prepaire for a platinum?

1.1

yeah there are trophies :D

And a platinum, too?

1.3

Yup platinum!

Show more replies

Woot! Thanks a lot for your support everyone! We are very excited coming to the PS platform!

FatPrincess2015 03 November, 2015 @ 13:10
2.1

Platinum Trophy! Sweet!

Look forward to trying this out in November :)

3.1

Thank you very much! We really hope you will enjoy the game and we are dedicated to keep supporting this title post launch!

Very excited for this, would have happily paid any asking price. Thanks and game on!

4.1

Thank you! That means a lot to us! DFS is not a free to play game and even tho it is on PS Plus for a month, the PS Plus service is not free.

Best game for me this month. Unfortunately many Plus members won’t really appreciate this I guess but I hope it still gets much love!

5.1

Thats ok :D Some people may come around and give it a try. This is a great chance for us to reach people who would not normally buy this type of games.

DuquesneWhistle 30 October, 2015 @ 17:13

It looks really really promising. Can’t wait to try it out. :D

6.1

Thank you! We really hope you will like it and we will keep supporting this title post launch.

Looks amazing guys, can’t wait to play it. Also thanks for the amazing wallpapers. How much will the game cost for people without Plus?

Is it perhaps cross-buy for Vita and PS4?

7.1

Thank you! All the graphics were done by one guy, Randis. We are a very small team.
We will announce the price later and we will support cross-buys! :D

CommonComitatus 30 October, 2015 @ 17:21

Been looking forward to this one for a while! So glad to see it finally coming out.

8.1

Thank you! We are equally excited! We have been working hard on our baby and now it’s coming out! Feel like a dream! :)

Looks wonderful for the Vita! Easily the best plus game this month

9.1

Thank you very much! We take it as a great compliment!

CookieMonsterES 30 October, 2015 @ 17:38

Looking forward to play it! Art style is awesome! :D

10.1

Thank you very much! Randis must be smiling big time reading this (he made the graphics)

Yes! I’ve waited for this for ages, and now it’s coming to my Vita. Best of all it’s on Plus, so finally we get a Plus month that’s actually worth the membership fee.

Can you confirm what the size of the download is?

11.1

Thank you! Really happy to hear that! The download should be around 430MB-ish

This should be interesting.I adore RPG-s and turn based tactics. I’m not a big fan of roguelike. We shall see what gerne prevails on me :D Congrats on launch!

12.1

Thank you! We hope you will enjoy the game! :D

Feels weird to see a kickstarter I backed be announced here before we backers even got the update. :/

Well I’m looking forward to it but still weird.

13.1

We know :( and we are really sorry about this. We really wanted to tell you guys all the news but we were not allowed to make any official statements or announcements before the official Sony announcement went life.

Ah that’s to bad. But it wouldn’t stop you from stating the release date and omitting the ps+ part? ;)
You need to be sneaky!! Sneaky as I and Robin will be

13.3

Unfortunately not, we really had to keep it secret and being in PS+ we have no influence on the release date so we had to wait on the official confirmation.

Well i backed your game on Kickstarter, i’m a little mixed about this news! oh well good luck on launch!

14.1

We really wish we could have told you guys earlier but our hands were tied, really sorry about that!
We are very grateful for your support and we believe that the PS+ will be a great opportunity to get the word out and reach gamer who otherwise are not really into this type of RPG /RL.
A turn-based RPG with RL elements is not a very mainstream title and we as a new studio can really use the exposure, this will be good for the title as we really want to keep supporting it post launch.
This is by no means a free to play title, the PS+ users have to pay for the monthly service and our backers will receive the game too.

I love stuff like this on plus. Not normally something i’d buy but if I like it I tell friends, buy DLC and sequels, etc. If i don’t, nobody lost anything. I’ve been introduced to a dozen titles this way. Look forward to trying it out. Congrats on your game either way

Tongue in cheek…like The Bard’s Tale perhaps?!! Best ending ever (well if you released the girl)!!!

16.1

You will soon find out :)

Looks very nice, it’s a game that i’ll play. Will there be various difficulties (easy-normal-hard) ??

17.1

Thank you! There is a normal mode and a hardcore mode with perma death!

This is a first I’m hearing and seeing this. It actually looks pretty good. Wasn’t too sure what to think of this when I was reading the PS+ post but now that I have, I’m liking this so looking forward to playing it now. I think this game has just made PS+ a bit better for me! Out of all the 6 games, this one will come out on top as first to play.

18.1

I promise you will love DFS :) i followed the entire progress via Kickstarter :)

18.2

Cool, we are very happy to hear that! We hope you will have a good time with out game!

Man, never heard of this game before, but now I can’t wait for next week. Looks amazing!

19.1

Thank you very much! Really happy to hear that!

Wow, forget all the other PS+ titles, this is the one to play next month!
Does the game have cross-save (like start on PS4 and continue on the Vita)?

20.1

Thank you the compliment! The cross-save feature sadly was cut for now but we will hopefully be able to add it in a patch sometimes later. Cross-buy is however supported as promised.

20.2

Oh! Does that mean a double platinum?

I will make sure to check this out! Looks veeeery promising! Keep up the good work guys!

21.1

Thank you! Much appreciated!

Im gonna be honest. When i saw the names of the titles of november PS+ games, Dragon Fin Soup was the one that i cared least. Now that i saw the video, is the one i want to play more. Love tactial RPGs and this one looks preety good.

22.1

Cool, we are very happy to hear that! Thank you!

howboutthisthen 30 October, 2015 @ 20:39

Congratulations on finishing DFS! And thanks for supporting the Vita, easily my favourite platform for rpgs and tactics games.

23.1

Thanks a lot! :)

Fantastic news. I love a turn-based battle and a rogue-like (proper rogue-likes, that are like Rogue, not just games with procedurally generated levels, whch is all too often the case).

Tempted to not download this during November so I can actually buy it come December. :)

24.1

Thank you very much! We appreciate it!

Btw Ash, thanks for being really awesome here :)

Do me one last favour. If oportunity ever presents itself you really should talk to Limited Run Games :D
I really really want this game on my shelf together with my backer rewards ^^ Can’t wait for my Crystal to stand next to Persona 4 Senpai crystal all sparkly and hawt :D

25.1

Thank you! If the opportunity presents itself we will take it, it would be great to see it in a physical release.

Terrible voice over!…..but the game looks super cool :P
Brilliant art work on the turtle.

26.1

Thank you! Personally we like the VO, it was done by a dear friend and we dig his voice, he should have his own radio show :D

Great art work and sounds very intriguing.

27.1

Thank you very much!

When I saw the games from igc of this month, I was like “Nothing to me!”. Then I start to search about the games and now my problem is… which ps I gonna install this game??? But I will play it for sure!! :D

28.1

Happy to hear that! Thank you!

LieutenantFatman 30 October, 2015 @ 22:49

Had my eye on this game for a long time. Will be playing this on my Vita, thanks!

29.1

Thank you! Have fun! :)

Looks very interesting! Did you take any influence from the discworld books? Seems to have the same charm. :)

30.1

Thank you! We are big fans of Terry Pratchett and have a dedication to him in the credits. The turtle however is inspired by actual mythology.

And the price will be? (I don’t have Plus subscription)

31.1

We will make an official announcement regarding the price point soon!

salfordgunstar 31 October, 2015 @ 10:12

To be honest,I’ve been so pumped waited for fallout 4,but shark fins soup has got my interest big time,can’t wait for this,this looks like a labour of love by the devs,I think this will be up there with binding of Issac and limbo,can’t wait to download now

32.1

Thank you! This is very motivational for us!

It looks very nice! Is this also ps tv compatible?

33.1

Thank you! Yes it should work fine on Ps Tv

33.2

Ah cool man, looking forward to it ;)

Well, count me in, I can feel how much passion was put into this game. I hope you guys get the attention you deserve, this industry needs passionate people and there’s nothing better for a gamer than supporting studios that giver their all to make their game!

34.1

Thank you! Yes, we had a blast developing this game :)

Totally interested in this. Vita will be my preferred console for this. On another note at time of posting this 34 replies from the devs shows how much love is in this game and how much time you have for the ordinary people.

35.1

Thank you! We hope you will like it :) and we do enjoy talking to people when we find the time (often really busy, buried in work) We are available on our forums, game related questions or casual talk is always welcome, we are easy to contact.

If I remember correctly, you’ve stated that you made your own engine for the game? Do you have any articles or blog posts about the programming side?

36.1

We made our own framework for the game first and then ported it to an old cocos2DX version and heavily modified the engine, made a new UI system from scratch, added ccspritebatch node, threaading, particle system, culling and lots of other features the engine did not have back then.

I would like to be able to apply screenshots as my background theme on my PS4, at the moment you can only download from the store. I have an awesome automatic screenshot of Evie Frye doing a classic Sentinel superhero crouch watching over the city from the rooftop.

37.1

Sweet! yeah, you should be able to take screenshots

Hey! Very vibrant looking graphics! Like it alot. And psplus with extra crossplatform saves ? Perfect!!, like the looks alot, yer art artist is reminiscent of the old pc game ALBION, is this beyond a name coincidence ? An old fav but very outdated now. Maybe not relevant but most texts have that issue ;) Any isometric views with a good mix of colors brings back all them good top down rpgs. this could really work in a livingroom. Im on ps4, do not have a vita, but it would seem as a perfect fit , especially for a handheld. Good work guys!

38.1

Thank you! The game supports cross-buy, cross-save feature sadly did not make it for release, we might add it in a patch later

This looks great! Good month for PS+

39.1

Thank you! :)

It’s a new game right? Never heard about it, but i’ll pay for another 3 months to try this out!

40.1

Thank you! Enjoy the game!

just another psplus game i wouldnt even download there seems to be very few new developers thinking outside the box and making games for the future instead the next gen console is been drowned in games like this there seems to be players looking forward to it but i bet in truth if it wasnt free then it wouldnt really get a second look

41.1

We are sorry to hear that you feel this way. We think it’s great that Sony gives Indies the opportunity to publish games on these platforms, there is a lot of demand for indie games and it gives new developers a chance to grow.
Developing a game takes a lot of time and budget, one cannot expect a small indie studio to produce a big AAA title, but every studio has to start somewhere. The big studios today started small too at some point, this is how things work.

41.2

Actually I’ve been looking forward to Dragon Fin Soup for a while and would happily pay money to get it. The fact it’s part of this month’s PS+ line up is a massive bonus for me.

Just because a game isn’t to your tastes, doesn’t mean that other people aren’t interested.

41.3

Actually, I would say that most Indie developers dare think outside the box, a lot more than your average “AAA” mainstream.

I find Dragon Fin Soup quite interesting, and I think this is the best ps plus game in a good while.

This is probably the first time I comment on the blog, although I’m a daily lurker but I feel your game deserves it. I’ve heard about this game before and I’m really really happy that it will be available through Plus because 1) It gives a lot of value to Plus itself, because the last few months have been so lame and 2) like you said, it should give you guys a lot of exposure and hopefully we’ll see more games like this from you in the future.

I’m a huge fan of roguelike dungeon crawlers (name whatever game you, I’ve probably played it, even all those ASCII games that were originally called roguelikes), so I’m more than happy :)

Show full comment

Just one thing I’d like to point out. The graphics look great, kudos to the designer, but the way you guys worked on the texts (I mean those fast 5 minutes effects on Photoshop) both for the game, trailer and screenshots look a little too… simple. I’m no designer myself but as long as I can do the same or better, I usually look down because I’m not skilled. I’m just pointing that out because those text blends ain’t appealing at all, but that’s no issue for such a great game this looks like.

42.1

Thank you for your support! Great to hear that you love RL games :)

zhrani55443322 02 November, 2015 @ 12:36

Tanks

Got love for indies, but I’m done with rogue-likes

44.1

This one is a bit different, the survival mode plays like a RL but the story mode is an RPG where you can save and reload. Perma death is optional.

Hopefully theres not an insanely hard, luck based or extremely time consuming trophy list like there is from most indie devs who think poeople will spend more time on their game because of that.

45.1

Nah we think it is not insanely hard :)

Nearly a week on and you guys are still commenting! You deserve respect just for that alone. I have faith your game will be hugely successful on all platforms you are putting Dragon Fin Soup on :)

46.1

Thank you! Well as long as you guys keep commending we will reply :)

I dont think I’ve been this excited for a Plus title. The gameplay seems enticing.

There have been some surprises though (like Rocket League) but this game seems to have a depth you can sink your teeth into.

Congrats on getting this out in the wild!

47.1

We are very happy to hear that!

Smoothstone112 03 November, 2015 @ 07:27

Physical release in Oceania (Always found that funny) on vita? I only have an 8gb card, and it’s nearly full.
Great job, looks fantastic. I normally avoid indie games as i am an avid 3d platformer player, but I also love my RL RPGs. Also good to see an indie which isn’t just a pixelated 2d 90s ripoff.
If it’s a physical game, I promise to buy!

48.1

we would love a Physical release too:D

Smoothstone112 03 November, 2015 @ 07:28

Also love my pratchett!

49.1

May he rest in peace, he will dearly missed :(

Is trails in the sky sc comming to the eu store today?

50.1

Unlikely. XSeed said it would be at least a few weeks behind the US release :(

Aw, i just heard that it would be “shortly” after the us release. Oh well.

Load all

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history