Posted

The Indivisible playable prototype comes to PS4 today

Get a taste of what Skullgirls’ dev Lab Zero Games are cooking up next

Earlier this month, Lab Zero and 505 Games launched a crowdfunding campaign for our new RPG, Indivisible.

In what might be a first for crowdfunding campaigns, we released a polished and fun playable prototype, giving potential backers a taste of what we have in store for the final game.

And now we’re excited to announce that we’ll be releasing the Indivisible playable prototype on PlayStation 4!

So what is Indivisible? Well, it’s a platformer/RPG, inspired by the PSone/PSP classic Valkyrie Profile.

You’ll control Ajna, a girl from a small village that discovers she has the mysterious ability to absorb certain people into her, and then manifest them to fight alongside her in battle.

You can have up to four characters in your party at a time, and in battle each character is assigned to one of your controller’s face buttons. Tapping a button makes the character in that position attack, and anyone can attack at any time as long as they have an action available. And each character has multiple attack variants and a super, allowing you to create a variety of powerful combos suited to the battle at hand.

In the prototype, you’ll have access to three characters other than Ajna: the archer Zebei, Razmi the shaman, and Tungar the warrior.

E3_2015_Mediakit_018

As you advance through the full game, you’ll encounter and recruit a large and diverse range of other characters, some of which we’ve revealed so far! We’re targeting 27 total playable Incarnations in the final game, so there will be a lot of ways to customize your party.

E3_2015_Mediakit_018

As Ajna absorbs new characters, not only will she be able to change up her party and learn new and more effective combos, she’ll also be able to manifest new weapons and abilities to help her explore the game’s environments.

E3_2015_Mediakit_018

There’s a lot more to Indivisible than characters and combat, and you can read about it all on the campaign page. For example, did you know that Ajna has a dimension growing inside her? And that all her Incarnations live there, and that she can upgrade weapons her weapons and armor there?

E3_2015_Mediakit_018

Indivisible will, of course, boast the feature-quality art and animation that Lab Zero is known for, and Ajna’s journey will be set to a lush soundtrack by legendary Secret of Mana composer, Hiroki Kikuta!

Check out the game’s battle theme here!

Our YouTube channel not only has the rest of the music available to stream, but also a number of videos from our art, gaming and design streams so you can see and learn more about how we make our games!

About the prototype

#07 - 20140604-0190#08 - Co_Op (5)

The playable prototype is meant to be a small taste of what the final game might feel like. Think of it as the first tutorial dungeon from a completed game – the general sense of how the game plays is there, but right now only the most fundamental mechanics have been introduced.

A first playthrough will probably take you 30-45 minutes, but there’s even a New Game+ mode and a secret boss for you to discover!

We anticipate that the final game will be around 20-30 hours without sidequests, so we have a lot of new battle mechanics, characters, and much more planned for the final version of Indivisible!

DN_011 DN_020DN_CO-OP_004

Crossover characters

In addition to the playable Incarnations we have planned for the final game, we’re excited to announce that we’ve teamed up with some of the indie scene’s best to bring the following characters to Indivisible:

• Annie from Skullgirls
  • Calibretto from Battle Chasers
  • The Drifter from Hyper Light Drifter
  • Juan from Guacamelee
  • Lea from Curses N’ Chaos
  • Shovel Knight from… Shovel Knight
  • Zackasaurus from Super Time Force Ultra

Each of these crossovers will join Ajna as a playable party member, and we’re extremely excited to work with these amazing characters and adapt their abilities and personalities into Indivisible’s battle system!

And thanks to the wonderful folks at Autumn, Airship Syndicate, Heart Machine, DrinkBox, Tribute, Yacht Club and Capybara for believing in Lab Zero and giving us these awesome opportunities!

We’ve revealed a few of our adaptations of these awesome characters in our style, with more to come soon!

E3_2015_Mediakit_018

E3_2015_Mediakit_018

Free Theme and Avatars

Finally, if Indivisible is funded, we’ll release a beautiful, free Indivisible PS4 theme and free Indivisible character avatars on PlayStation Store! This is just our way of saying thanks for your support.

So there you have it: Indivisible!

Play the prototype, back the campaign if you enjoyed it, and feel free to let us know what you think about it on Facebook, Twitter or the comments section right below and I’ll do my best to answer everything!

Thanks for your time, and I hope you enjoy the prototype!

DN_011 DN_020DN_CO-OP_004
26 Comments
8 Author replies

This looks incredible, we need more games like this! definitely backing it.

Peter Bartholow 10 November, 2015 @ 10:26
1.1

Glad you’re liking what you see! The prototype is available for download on the PS Store now, so be sure to check it out and tell your friends!

I will drag myself away from Fallout 4 to test this game, looks awesome! Downloading!

Peter Bartholow 10 November, 2015 @ 10:41
2.1

Haha, thanks – the timing could be better, but hopefully won’t dent your Fallout 4 time too much.

…Gotta go pick mine up tomorrow, I guess.

Backed w/ 30USD, tight control-inputs alone were enough to convince me! Great work thus far and hoping you can get it funded, extended campaign or not.

Peter Bartholow 10 November, 2015 @ 11:06
3.1

Thanks so much for your support! And sorry about the exchange rate.

And I think the extension is looking pretty likely!

Been waiting for this. The game looks fantastic and I loved Skullgirls a ton. Good luck with the campaign.

The character design for this looks sweet. It’s refreshing to see such a diverse cast. I’m gonna download this later.

Please folks back it! This game needs to be made and it’s absolutely wonderful!!
And best of all. They have been straight with us since the start and no bs. They really deserve to make this game for ME!! and the rest of us

It’s getting so close to the extension! I’ll be backing this later on today.

I’d like to say thanks as well for having a prototype to play straight away for what you want to create, and for constantly showing off your designs/workings for the game, you’ve given so much more than other kickstarted titles.

Peter Bartholow 10 November, 2015 @ 12:19
7.1

We do what we can.

Gloom12356776543 10 November, 2015 @ 12:31

Great game :) I really enjoyed this “Demo” and cant wait to play the full game ! and you should add some hindu gods to the character rooster :)

Glad you managed to put the prototype on psn, this crowdfunding needs all the attention it can get.

Peter Bartholow 11 November, 2015 @ 01:46
9.1

Very thankful that Sony let us, because the game seems to be connecting really well with PS4 players!

Definitely going to trying this, would have been perfect on the vita.

10.1

That’s a fantastic shout, Salem!

Vita has always been my particular system of choice for my favourite indie titles, but given the optimisation issues LZG have had in porting the excellent Skullgirls 2nd Encore to the handheld, I doubt playing The Indivisibles on Vita is ever likely happen. I’d dearly love to be proved wrong however.

10.2

Sorry, not entirely sure where I got ‘The Indivisibles’ from. Tsk tsk.

Damn the Blog’s inexcusable lack of an edit feature :-(

Man, this looks incredible!

I’ve never backed a crowdfunding campaign before, but that’s just changed! And what has pushed me into popping my Indiegogo | Kickstarter cherry? The crossover characters! Juan, Lea (I adore Curses ‘N Chaos), Shovel Knight… AWESOME!

By the way, I’d love to see a few more crossover characters in the final product when it eventually hits digital store shelves… Not a Hero (Bunnylord), Rocketbirds (Hardboiled), Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP (The Scythian) perhaps?

Carnivius_Prime 10 November, 2015 @ 13:46

I don’t like RPGs in general but I gave this a go and it won me over with the platforming and the more active turn based battle that made it feel almost realtime combat compared to some RPGs and controls felt pretty cool too. I only downloaded it cos it was a relatively tiny download and it’s already entertained me far more than the ‘big’ release of this week could have done.

Also, Battle Chasers? Any chance of more characters from that comic? :)

Peter Bartholow 10 November, 2015 @ 21:06
12.1

Glad you enjoyed it! While we call it an RPG, it really does feel different from other RPGs.

And I think we’ve got our hands full with Calibretto, haha. We’re trying to keep him his proper size, and that’s likely going to be challenging.

looks really good, I hope they reach their indiegogo target, but with only 5 days left, it looks unlikely, fingers crossed they make it

13.1

If they can hit 900,000 then they can get a 20 day extension to it! It’s almost there!

I loved the demo. I want to donate but I dont get paid till next week but by that time your campaign will be over. Will you extend it for another month cause your so close to your goal and I want to contribute.

Peter Bartholow 10 November, 2015 @ 21:07
14.1

An extension is looking likely, so keep an eye on the campaign on Twitter, FB, etc.

And in the meantime, you can help spread the word to get it in front of other gamers. Every bit of support helps.

Played through it and am sold, looks beautiful. I will buy the game (son loved it too).

Peter Bartholow 10 November, 2015 @ 21:07
15.1

Glad you and your son enjoyed it! Actually seen a fair number of comments about playing with their children, which was pretty awesome.

Is there any means of backing this through the PSStore?

I don’t know if I’m alone in this, but I’d like something along the lines of a crowdsourcing subcategory in the PS+ section.

Back this game, folks!

We need this game and the super talented people at Lab Zero Games deserve all the funds they can get.

Pretty sweet art style. Will have to try the demo.

I WANT THIS IN MY VITA!

This is how you do a crowd funding campaign.
I haven’t tried the demo yet due to life things but i’ll give it a shot at some point.

Backed it with $60 this morning. The game is really impressive in its complex simplicity but I kind of knew I’d love it as soon as the main character started moving. It looks so lovely.

now this looks like a indie game weve been promised by sony cool graphics cool game play and full of character i slate most indies because there poor to say the least but like what your doing guys

Only just been able to try the demo out today and absolutely blown away by it! Valkyrie Profile is one of my favourite RPGs and Indivisible captures much of what makes Valkyrie Profile great. Off to back it now and look forward to playing the finished article.

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history