Posted

Retro City Rampage sequel, Shakedown Hawaii, announced for PS4 & PS Vita

Vblank moves into the 16-bit era in the follow up to its open world action hit

It’s been three years since Retro City Rampage was released, but a new game from Vblank Entertainment is finally on its way for PS4 and PS Vita! Check out the trailer above for a sneak peek.

Shakedown Hawaii brings the Vblank open world universe into the 16-bit era, powered up with destructible environments and an arsenal of supercharged weapons. Taking place some 30 years after the events of Retro City Rampage, the game follows The Player as he comes out of early retirement to rebuild his neglected corporate empire.

E3_2015_Mediakit_018

What a tease! I know that’s not much to go on, but much more will be revealed next-next weekend, as Shakedown Hawaii makes its first playable debut at PlayStation Experience December 5-6th.

That’s all for now! Drop your questions in the comments below!

#07 - 20140604-0190#08 - Co_Op (5)
Did you enjoy this?

Comments

28 Comments 8 Author replies
Show oldest first

Will you be releasing a retail version? I managed to get both the PS4 and Vita of Retro City Rampage when you had the limited run of retail copy’s on sale. Any plans to do the same with Shakedown Hawaii?

Brian Provinciano 24 November, 2015 @ 7:08 pm

Thanks so much! It’s very possible, but I’ll have to evaluate the potential time frame closer to launch. Might be tough to do one right at launch, but we’ll see πŸ™‚

JustDoIt.gif! πŸ˜€

@Brian
    I just logged to say that you are 100% amazing with your policy about retails.

This looks awesome! Nice work. I also own a copy of RCR DX on the vita and would definitely pick up a retail copy of this if a limited run was made again πŸ™‚

Awesome! So happy you guys are doing a sequel

Omac_brother 24 November, 2015 @ 7:17 pm   3

This news has very much made my day. Thanks Brian

This is great. I bought retro city rampage.
I rather enjoyed the steams you did, more developers should do the same.
A dynamic camera height adjustment based on the speed your travelling would be cool!

Brian Provinciano 24 November, 2015 @ 7:26 pm

Thanks so much! I’ll do some streams of the new game in the future. I’ve experimented with some dynamic camera zoom in it, and will experiment further after PSX πŸ™‚

Looks excellent, I managed to get RCR on disc for PS4 as well, so if there were a similar release for this game it’d be pretty cool. The jump in graphical fidelity is really impressive, how much has the team grown if you don’t mind the question?

Brian Provinciano 24 November, 2015 @ 7:32 pm

Thank you πŸ™‚ It’s grown quite a lot. It’s grown to 5 artists now (two full time, three part time). The size of the world, object detail and animation make it very asset heavy. Hundreds of unique objects in the world, each with multiple damage states, thousands of frames of unique character animations — it really takes things to the next level πŸ™‚

A fan of Max Payne 3, huh Brian?

iamdark1988 24 November, 2015 @ 7:37 pm   7

Definitely going to get Shakedown Hawaii! After playing a demo of Retro City Rampage DX, and then subsequently winning a PS Vita from you, I can safely say I’d buy anything you release! Still feel guilty I got Retro for free!

Who made the trailer music?!

Brian Provinciano 24 November, 2015 @ 8:12 pm

Matt Creamer AKA: Norrin Radd, one of the main composers of RCR πŸ™‚

Awesome, big fan of his work, and of RCR (I own it on ps3)! Looking forward to this sequel!!!

This looks awesome Brian, can’t wait to check it out!

Mishimotsu 24 November, 2015 @ 9:23 pm   10

OMG this looks great. I was just looking over RCR in my Vita the other day and thinking how fondly I enjoyed playing through the game, with this announcement I may need to crack it out again for another playthrough.

Always happy to see Vita love as well!

CoolRichy007UK 24 November, 2015 @ 10:33 pm   11

Wooooohooooo im so buying this and did you know that gta1 and 2 were based on retro city rampage well i said it was retro city rampage the original gta and way better

Carnivius_Prime 24 November, 2015 @ 10:59 pm   12

Looks good. Enjoyed RCR on Ps3, Vita and Ps4.

Aces73High 25 November, 2015 @ 12:04 am   13

As someone who bought Retro City Rampage FOUR times over (both the original and DX versions on PSN, plus on Nintendo WiiWare and 3DS eShop) I can safely say I’m a fan of Brian’s work and that I’ll be all over Shakedown Hawaii come it’s release on PS4 and Vita. Can’t wait :0)

Oh and by the way, I’m loving the jump to those sweet 16bit visuals! Very tasty!

Nice!!!! RCR reminds me the NES and SNES generation.

I like this hardcore vintage-style game. Hope there’ll be a retail version!!

Congratulations to Shakedown Hawaii!

AmokMaker 25 November, 2015 @ 8:22 am   15

16 always were my favourite number of bits πŸ™‚

I got the soundtrack of your last game on Vinyl.
It is really good.
Will you be releases this game’s soundtrack on vinyl?

Brian Provinciano 25 November, 2015 @ 5:07 pm

Awesome πŸ™‚ Definitely looking into some kind of cool soundtrack release!

maximalcheetor 25 November, 2015 @ 1:44 pm   17

Great news and Brian, can I add another vote for a PS Vita retail version? Like a few others here I bought three copies – the normal release, DX (digital) and DX physical so I could keep that one sealed for my collection. If you do a physical Vita release I’d probably buy that just to keep it sealed again for the collection but you’d definitely get another sale here! πŸ™‚

Brian Provinciano 25 November, 2015 @ 5:08 pm

Definitely very possible! Not sure if it will happen at launch as the first priority is making the game as great as possible, but depending on how much time there is between gold master and the release date, we’ll see!

MTJohnson1977 25 November, 2015 @ 2:21 pm   18

I loved Retro City and Brian, any chance of adding purchasable safe houses and a Surfing Game ala California Games?

I can’t wait to play this.

Brian Provinciano 25 November, 2015 @ 5:08 pm

I’ll be announcing more about the game and new mechanics later πŸ™‚

got 100% on rcr.

trophies don’t make the game but any chance of a plat on this one?

Brian Provinciano 25 November, 2015 @ 5:09 pm

Hope so! Usually they’re reserved for retail AAA games, but I’ll do some begging πŸ˜‰

Carnivius_Prime 25 November, 2015 @ 7:49 pm

There have been quite a lot of smaller indie-type stuff that have platinum trophies too not just the big AAA stuff so I can’t see why this couldn’t get a platinum trophy list. πŸ™‚

HomessaHomem 25 November, 2015 @ 7:13 pm   20

I NEED THIS IN MY VITA!

CoolRichy007UK 27 November, 2015 @ 3:57 pm   21

Brian Provinciano ignore sony just add the trophys

cool

Hi, I was wondering if you will do a 2,000 copy limited edition like you did with retro city rampage with the ps4. If so, Where can i buy this at online? or even if possible in stores?