Posted

Game on a shoestring – every PS4 demo and free-to-play title listed

There’s a feast of fun to be had on PlayStation Store, without opening your wallet

Hi everyone! A little short on cash after all that Christmas gift buying, but pining after some new gaming experiences for your PS4? Well, we’ve got your back. For your perusing pleasure, below is a complete list of all of the free demos and free to play games for PS4 currently available on PlayStation Store. If there’s anything you’re on the fence about, now’s your chance to give it a go, without opening your wallet!

We’ll be updating the list regularly, so be sure to check back and update your bookmarks.

89 Comments
0 Author replies

No Planetside 2? That’s the best F2P title by far, imo.

1.1

If only it didnt take us up 10h+ to download these games…

Coody-Baroody 12 January, 2016 @ 16:31
1.2

@MoistGeorge

Maybe it’s that slow for you with your inept internet speed but my download speeds from PSN on Vita, PS3 are both 1-2mbs and as much as 5mbs on PS4. I downloaded Deus Ex on PS3 at 17GB while its on sale and it took just over ONE hour not TEN.

Id love it if star trek online was on ps4……..hint hint sony

Demo? I have FF XV Demo but still not a PS4. Poor me :’) By the way great list

Lol! You need to correct your post. The games are only “free” to download. You have to pay for content within the game.

4.1

What part of free 2 play don’t you understand? How do you think they make money if the game is free 2 play? Also free 2 play is only bad if it’s pay 2 win which warframe, pkanetside 2 and blacklight are not.

Funny how AAA games cut off content, sell a full game then sell the cut off content as dlc, but nobody is moaning about that.

Entitled comes to mind reading your nonsense.

4.2

YES, nobody anywhere ever moaned about that lol.

Lol your attitude merry christmas to you too!

Show more replies

Hustle kings and pinball arcade are well worth a shot

Where is the blog post detailing the January sale? It started days ago but still nothing. I ask this because I’m pretty sure there are some discounts still missing (mainly PS+ discounts) and have been waiting for the post to clarify that

It’s probably too huge they don’t even bother. It’s not even writte on foreign blogs.

The current US flash sale has completely outdone both the Jan and 12 deals sales.

6.3

I want to get the basic version of Dragon Age inquisition but it doesn’t currently have a PS+ discount. However, it appears on the PS+ discount section and the other two versions of it have one. If I buy it now and the PS+ is (late) applied some time in the following days, will support refund me the difference if I contact them?

Not personally interested but the two Metro games (not the whole Redux package) are also missing the PS+ discount.. At least in the Portuguese store, because it actually does show up on the Spanish store for some reason.

There’s approximate 300 titles on sale, I doubt anyone is making a post with every single deal listed. We barely get that in store update posts.

7.1

January sales had a blog post in 2013 and 2014. They simply posted highlights instead of the whole list. Better than no post at all..

The point is there is NO post.

People that actually spend Christmas not playing games 24/7 will not be aware of the sale.

Still no post as of today. Pitiful.

Does PES 2016 MyClub is good as fifa?

It depends. Can English type you as better can you play?

8.2

I’m from Hungary man.. sorry for any language mistakes. By the way, i’m a Fifa “fan” (i love and play fifa better than pes) so i wont give a try.

There is no world of tanks on store that i can find?

I don’t know why it’s there, it’s gonna be released Q1 2016

Yes there is. I got it the day it was announced on PSX. Search on PS Store.

Yes there is, I got it.

Show more replies

Hi, since last week i can no longer access this section of the web browser store: https://store.playstation.com/#!/it-it/novit%C3%A0-di-questa-settimana/cid=STORE-MSF75508-GAMENEWTHISWEEK

It’s for stuff released during the week. I can only access the section for all the stuff released during the month.

Sorry if the link it’s Italian but it redirects there if it works.

10.2

Is the link to Ridge Racer?

Yeah, keep spouting hot air.

Gems of War is brilliant!

Indeed. Shame my guild members are hardly active. :(

Prem-aka-Prince 26 December, 2015 @ 15:56

Hi Clara, thank you for sharing. There are really a lot of things available for people who just got a PS4/finished what they have and are looking for something to just toy with or maybe help them decide what to buy next. Plus there’s quite a lot of free-to-play if you’re into that.

It might be worth adding some other games that are neither demo nor free-to-play (in the usual sense), for example there are many Episode 1’s in Episodic games that are now given away for free, not just trial versions. I may be mistaken, but I believe these include:
Resident Evil Revelations 2 Episode 1 (PS4/PS3)
The Walking Dead (Season 1) Episode 1 (PS3)
Game of Thrones Episode 1 (PS4/PS3)
Sam & Max The Devil’s Playhouse Episode 1 (PS3)
I think that may be all of them but a lot of them that aren’t free have free demos or timed trials that aren’t included on the list but might be worth a try. :)

Show full comment

Resident Evil Revelations 2 Episode 1 (PS4/PS3)
The Walking Dead (Season 1) Episode 1 (PS3)
Game of Thrones Episode 1 (PS4/PS3)
Sam & Max The Devil’s Playhouse Episode 1 (PS3)

Just remember on these games that trophies are active which is both good and bad, you can complete the episode but you can’t complete the game (or the story) until you buy more episodes.

Great idea for a post. Thanks. I will try every demo but to be honest I dont even bother downloading free to play games. I don’t like not knowing what is an achievement and what is a purchase. Ftp tower defense is aperfect example; is buying a new weapon cheating or necessary, or both.

Great job, most of the links aren’t working. What else to expect from Sony.

Btw, January Sale post? Is there any chance the 2 for 1 titles will join the sale? Both Saints Row titles for the PS4 are on sale, but not the package with both.

Remember when Jack Tretton announced that EVERY game would get a demo on PS4? Pretty pathetic list really.

Jack Tretton had Diablo 1 and Dark Cloud on a big screen with other PS1/PS2 Classics when the PS4 (let alone PS2 emulation on it) was still far from release. So yeah, no.

Don’t no about that, but I remember mark cemy saying we would get an hour of all games as a trial. With the option to download full game.Can’t even remove demo’s from library. I remember this architecture from show. I tried to friend him on friend, it said status to high.thought friend would be a good blog forum, seems like a wast of time more junk. This time could of been used for one stag for all players and development teams to connect for gaming and views for development. They could of called it PlayStation forum. 1 simple stage for all. two many options same thing with different titles.

There’s a serious lack of demos this gen. Maybe they realise that their games are so rubbish a demo will negatively impact upon sales.

What about PLANETSIDE 2?? it’s one of the best F2P games on the system.

17.1

Indeed. The best game by far.

No mention of P.T.? Oh yeah, Konami in their infinite wisdom pulled the plug on what was one of the best things on the PS4.

Why on earth would it be mentioned in a list of AVAILABLE demos, you do know PT isn’t available anymore right?

18.2

Yeah nvrhere….that’s what he’s getting at……

So maybe stevejcrow should take it up with Konami Mojo_Man, pointless complaining here about something Sony have zero control over.

Classic_Shooter 27 December, 2015 @ 09:16

sony you need to get behind game previews like Microsoft and steam. I’m loving Ark survival evolved and the long dark.

There are a bunch more than those listed here – Trials Fusion, How to Survive, Far Cry 4, Minecraft etc. For some reason a lot of the free demos on the PS4 aren’t even listed in the demos section of the store, and even the author of this article doesn’t seem to know about them.

I did a list of them here a while ago, if anyone’s interested. Although it will be somewhat out of date now. http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/26415-hidden-ps4-demos/?hl=%2Bhidden+%2Bps4+%2Bdemos#entry581678

Why did you list DW8 Empire-whatever as a demo? It’s a F2P title.

Because someone in the thread told me it was “more like a demo”.

stoneybubble420 27 December, 2015 @ 11:06

Is anyone else having problems playing online today

CoolRichy007UK 27 December, 2015 @ 23:36
21.1

It wont let me change my avatar i changed my avatar and name but when i look at my updates it says avatar has changed with my happy Christmas name i used but i changed my name and avatar today but they are still stuck due to deleted psn being down again sony better hurry up and fix it

CoolRichy007UK 27 December, 2015 @ 23:40
21.2

When psn is fixed it will hopefully sync my changed name and avatar i see my changed avatar on here but not on my ps4 account i tryed to do option 5 in safemode i.e rebuild database twice tryed to change my avatar on the ps4 app but it wont change it due to psn being down

Speaking of demos, the Library needs an option to hide content BADLY! I downloaded the Battlefield Hardline and Hardware Rivals betas. Those are over, they will never be playable again but they are still sitting in my Library and taking up space. The same thing will happen with every demo I’ll download in the future. Just add a “Hidden Content” category to the list on the left where You would move Your content by pressing the OPTIONS button and selecting something like “Hide from Library”. Then You could go to that “Hidden Content” category, press the OPTIONS button again and select something like “Unhide” should You change Your mind.

Why is something so simple and obvious still missing two years after the console’s release?

22.1

Because all of the good intelligent people are leaving the games industry before it implodes a second time.

EquilibriumStone 28 December, 2015 @ 03:49

Im still waiting for 1 year PS plus discount just like last year. After that im ready to get the rest im interested even without discounts. All i care about is getting the subscription for less and spend as it is on games.

It good for multiplayer online gaming that about it. I think you should get PlayStation now, music and vue tv with PlayStation plus for a good price. Lot of junk about, not right that we should pay for fall multiplayer experience. If you want a good game you simply chose the ones you want there’s always good deal in playstation store.

Free multiplayer games that’s good, but dead end demo’s.pointless. You could just give a good descriptions of games when buying, and an actual video witch is watchable,such poor visuals like, live from PlayStation not even Sd standard.

How about deck heros real card collecting multiplayer game fun for all. play for coin, coin for cards the name says it all. For exsample the crew jet ski and boats mabe, so many angles for growth.

How about boomerman multiplayer and cubix. Volfel style (cubix). Oh how about lemmings multiplayer. if you get what I mean,you now get from one side to the other, without loss of lemming.

I don’t collect demo’s, why are they in my library. Can’t remove them? Wish I never downloaded them played them all for about 5 minutes each.

I no sony stopped making laptops but if mobile gaming is the future of gaming then shouldn’t that mean PlayStation laptop instead of PlayStation 5. wireless connectivity for tv. (option) with on off button on side for home gaming, because could be using tv for screen, so laptop Will be closed. With built in playstation vue tv, PlayStation movies PlayStation now, PlayStation music, PlayStation store, PlayStation blog, PlayStation 5 TB library, happy Christmas + new year wish.

What about PlayStation game creator. Make your own game, 16 bit starter pack, 32 bit upgrade, and so on. wow I can only hope sony.

What about Neverwinter online? When it will be avaiable on PS4?

HEY SONY! ON XBOX 360 I USED TO GET CRYSIS and TEKKEN for free but with PS+ YOU gave me [DELETED]! I AM VERY DISJOINTED IN YOU.

TO AMMEND THIS:
I’d happily BUY GTA 5 *AGAIN* but digitally, and for ps4 for £15?
Maybe that’s a bit high… Anyway, anywhere from £12-20.
Also, do like a 2 day sale for the new need for speed for £15?? Like it was a few days ago…
And make the library like a file manager…. Also, maybe a sale on just cause 3? £35 is NOT A SALE PRICE! IT’S THE FULL RETAIL PRIVE, I KNOW YOU MAKE MORE THEN ENOUGH MONEY!

YOU WERE DOING FINE WITH PS3 AND FREE MULTIPLAYER… WHY YOU GONE SO GREEDY?

I can’t understand a word of what half of youbare saying. Are you all drunk, or has English gone out of the window these days?

32.1

*you are

Oh the shame….

CoolRichy007UK 29 December, 2015 @ 12:53
32.2

I need a translation lol

The PS brand is getting weaker and weaker with each passing day.

Reason 1 : Making 1st party games with long development times and short campaign full of stupid collectibles
Reason 2 : STEAM is stealing third party exclusives
Reason 3 : SCE is giving more priority to Indie crap and expensive gimmicks “PSR”
Reason 4 : SCE buried their handhelds

33.1

Lol at steam ‘stealing’ third party exclusives. It just shows that PC Gaming is getting more gamers these days and companies found out that they also like Jrpgs (what a shock)… And most of these PC ports are also running much better on the PC’s which is nice too. Nice thing of having a PS3, PS4, PSVita and a PC these days.

But the PS4 is still a mess after 2 years and so much is still missing from it and Sony keeps ignoring the complaints about it. I keep it only for the exclusives like Gravity Rush 2, Ratchet And Clank, the Uncharted series and the few Japanese only exclusives for example. My PS+ is going to end next month and I’m not going going to waste more money on that either.

Sony did do it great with the PS3 only to mess it all up with the PS4. Not even going to start about the fact that the Stores in Europe are STILL a huge mess and missing a lot of content compared with each other. We should have got a region store with a option to set it to English.

CoolRichy007UK 29 December, 2015 @ 12:53

1 ps4 avatars are syncing up now so when you change avatar you see the avatar you changed it to and not the last 1 you used. 2 starwars battlefront is now 74.99 no longer £105 pound and 3 i hope you all had a good Christmas

i wonder if we ever gonna see demos and trials for all games just like Sony promised when they first announced the ps4.

I got mail from Playstation. Next months free games for Plus are Hardware Rivals and Grim Fandango Remastered. Seriously? Why?

36.1

Don’t get me wrong. Grim Fandango is a great game. So great I BOUGHT IT!

when will neverwinter online at ps4?

There definitely needs to be more demos for modern games, its always a little odd when a major game doesnt have a demo to play before you buy.

Zengamerqwerty 01 January, 2016 @ 12:11

So far loving warframe. Nothing else ftp of interest so far

World Of Tanks? Really?

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history