What are PlayStation developers most looking forward to playing in 2016?

Find out what the creative minds behind your favourite games are excited for

So, yesterday we found out what the stand-out gaming moments for PlayStation developers were in 2015. As promised, today, we’re going to find out which games the same group of razor-sharp creative minds are most looking forward to getting their hands on in 2016. Read on to find out, and then chime in with your own picks in the comments below.

Oh, and a pre-emptive Happy New Year from everyone here at PlayStation. Whatever you have planned, have a great evening. See you in ’16!

Paul Rustchynsky, Game Director (Driveclub), Evolution Studios

“As much as I’m excited to play the latest entry in the Uncharted series or try something as intriguing as The Witness, my inner Souls fan is getting more and more hyped for Dark Souls III by the day. I’m already preparing myself to die over and over again!”

Aki Raula, Lead Designer (Matterfall); Housemarque

“One more romp from Naughty Dog in the adventure lands with Nathan Drake. Just a one of a kind experience and now I can’t wait to get sucked in again with Uncharted 4.”

Adrian Chmielarz, Creative Director (The Vanishing of Ethan Carter), The Astronauts

“If I had to choose just one, it’d be Mass Effect: Andromeda. The first trilogy was incredible, and the mind boggles when I imagine what’s in store for us in this new installment of the series.”

Mare Sheppard, Co-founder, Metanet Software (N++)

Rain World. Absolutely everything about how the game looks and feels is fresh and inspiring. We love how it’s a bold vision that stands apart from every other game, on many levels. We really can’t wait to play it :)”

Mike Bithell, Founder, Mike Bithell Games (Volume)

“2016 looks like a bumper year for fantastic games. Like everyone else I’m eagerly awaiting No Man’s Sky, but games like Adr1ft, Overland and Firewatch have me seriously excited. A new generation of teams are creating some fantastic experiences. I suspect I’d be very hyped for PlayStation VR too… if I hadn’t already fallen in love with my devkit.”

Tom Jones, Principal Artist (RIGS Mechanized Combat League), Guerrilla Cambridge

“Wow, tough question. There are loads. Aside from RIGS and Horizon Zero Dawn (excuse the obvious plug!) I’m really keen to play The Last Guardian. Team Ico has a stellar history with games like Shadow of the Colossus and Ico, so I’m expecting big things from its latest offering!”

Shahid Ahmad, Developer

“The title I’m most looking forward to in 2016 is No Man’s Sky. How could it be anything else? It’s the game I’ve been looking forward to all my life.”

Peter Field, Game Designer (Dreams), Media Molecule

“Oh man, there are so many! It’s probably a close call between The Witness and No Man’s Sky. I think The Witness is currently more intriguing so if I had to choose one I’d go with that.”

Simon Harris, Executive Producer (Until Dawn: Rush of Blood), Supermassive Games

“At the risk of sounding slightly ‘on message’, I have to say Uncharted 4. I love the genre of action storytelling titles and the Uncharted series has delivered through the previous three titles, each time getting bigger and more bombastic. I can’t wait to see what Nathan Drake gets up to in the fourth episode.”

Thomas Grip, Co-founder, Frictional Games (SOMA)

“As a massive fan of Shadow of The Colossus, The Last Guardian is the one I am the most excited about.”

Jun Yoshino, Producer (Bloodborne), SCEE

“So many to choose from! Street Fighter V, Uncharted 4, Doom, Dark Souls 3, Final Fantasy XV… but the standout one for me is Persona 5.”

Dominic Matthews, Product Development Manager (Hellblade), Ninja Theory

“In 2016 I’m most looking forward to seeing VR become a reality for gamers. Every time I put on a VR headset I make a funny little chirping noise of delight. 100% of the time. I can’t wait to see the immersive worlds and experiences that lay ahead.”

Pekka Kujansuu, Gameplay Programmer (Alienation), Housemarque

“I’m intrigued by The Witness. It sounds like there’s something beneath the surface. If there isn’t, I still like puzzle games and I expect The Witness to be a good one. Oh, and of course Dark Souls III also.”

Brynley Gibson, Executive Producer (PlayStation VR), SCE London Studio

“What I’m looking forward to most in 2016 has got to be the release of PlayStation VR! I may be developing for it but I want one at home. 2016 is the year of VR. It’s the start of a journey that is going to change the landscape of gaming forever. There are already a great selection of titles announced and I can’t wait to play all these new experiences.”

Rex Crowle, Lead Creator (Tearaway Unfolded), Media Molecule

“I will have to say Wattam. I don’t know when it’s coming out but I just want to see more of it, because it’s so personal and different. It just fills me with happiness that it exists and there continues to be a place in games for humour and experimentation and pooping.”

Dylan Cuthbert, Founder, Q-Games (The Tomorrow Children)

The Tomorrow Children! I’m thoroughly addicted to it in internal testing and I can’t wait to see it populated and travel to people’s towns. I don’t think anyone has grasped how big and fun this game is yet because we only show little snippets – the scale is crazy.

“I’m also looking forward to Uncharted 4 of course! Our friends at Naughty Dog have been burning the midnight oil on that one and I can’t wait to see it!”

Simon Bennett, Co-founder, Roll7 (OlliOlli 2: Welcome to Olliwood)

“I guess that would have to be the awesome No Man’s Sky from our mates at Hello Games, can’t wait to explore that world!”

Luke Borrett, Producer (Hatoful Boyfriend), Mediatonic

Dark Souls III and Persona 5 both have me ludicrously excited. Persona especially looks to be such a huge step up from the last instalment that I’ve been eagerly scouring every trailer and press release for new details!”

Matt Birch, Founder, Heavy Spectrum (Shadow of the Beast)

Gravity Rush Remastered, Gravity Rush 2 and The Last Guardian. DON’T MAKE ME CHOOSE!

“I was so excited to hear about Gravity Rush returning to PlayStation. I loved the first game so much – it’s one of my proudest platinum trophies! I can’t wait to spend more time with Kat, Dusty and Raven. I was brimming with pride when I saw Shadow of the Beast next to Gravity Rush Remastered at Paris Games Week.

“On the other hand, when I saw The Last Guardians re-appearance at E3 I was literally whooping with joy. I’ve had the title on pre-order since its original announcement, so seeing it return was such an exciting moment. I never lost faith!”

Corey Davis, Design Director, Psyonix (Rocket League)

Final Fantasy XV. Though, I’m also really looking forward to Firewatch and The Division.”

Nathan Vella, Co-founder, Capybara Games (Super Time Force Ultra)

“You expect me to pick a single game? No way, not gonna happen. I’m just going to list a bunch! I’m really looking forward to: The Witness, ADR1FT, Street Fighter 5, Firewatch, Headlander, Mirror’s Edge 2, Soft Body and, like, 30 more. There are too many good games coming!”

Masaaki Yamagiwa, Producer (Bloodborne), SCE Japan Studio

“Actually I am not really sure if Dreams will be released in 2016 but it certainly is the game I am looking forward to most. LittleBigPlanet was a game that had a huge impact on me and I was so impressed by it, it was one of the reasons I moved to SCE. I am sure that we can expect a whole another level of unique experiences with Dreams, just as the developers did with LBP when that first came out.”

Alex Perry, QA Technician (Dreams), Media Molecule

“There are a bunch of big titles I’m looking forward to next year, but the game I’m most excited to play is What Remains Of Edith Finch. It looks like such an interesting idea; weird and creepy in the best possible way. Plus, I’ve seen footage of the game where you’re a shark stuck up a tree and that kind of sold it to me.”

Did you enjoy this?

50 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

No Man’s Sky for me!

hyperrabbit2 31 December, 2015 @ 2:31 pm   2

As Nathan Wella said, its impossible to choose only one game. 2016 is gonna be huge year for videogames, so im gonna play as many as I can and there is only two limits for me. Money and time.

Persona 5.

LieutenantFatman 31 December, 2015 @ 2:33 pm   4

Nice article ! Some of my most anticipated are Most anticipated are:
Alienation, Uncharted 4, Dreams, Banner Saga, Doom, Mass Effect 4, Tekken 7, Persona 5 .. The list goes on. I really hope we get Valkyria Chronicles and its sequel over here as well.

X_Blood_Curse_X 31 December, 2015 @ 2:38 pm   5

Persona 5 is my most anticipated by a mile, then Uncharted 4. Also who knows, maybe we’ll actually get a good plus game at some point.

uncharted 4, Persona 5, No Mans Sky, the entire VR catalogue ,maybe even Red Dead Redemption 2 if we are super lucky.
It’s going to be one hell of a year and it all starts tomorrow!
Happy new year everyone, i’ll see you in the virtual space we now call home!

ManikwithaNine 31 December, 2015 @ 3:05 pm   7

My most anticipated game is the new Yakuza game. Yakuza 0 and Yakuza 6.

Mass Effect Andromeda is a 2016 release!?

Dark Souls 3
Uncharted 4
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Mass Effect Andromeda
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Gran Turismo Sport
Battlefield 5

Dark Souls III, nothing else comes close I’m afraid 🙁

I’m also looking forward to FFXV, TLG, Persona 5, Horizon, Fire Watch but there isn’t any real hype there for me.

madmanwithabox12 31 December, 2015 @ 3:24 pm   11

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

What. A. Year.

Lunastra78 31 December, 2015 @ 4:06 pm   12

1. Dark Souls 3
2. The Last Guardian
3. Uncharted 4

Those are day 1 purchases. There’s a lot more games I’m interested in but I’ll wait for more information and reviews before making a decision.

I’m surprised you are calling The last Guardian a day one based on the little that we have seen so far. I’d definitely need a review or two to make sure it isn’t a dud.

Agree on Dark Souls 3 though, got the CE Pre-ordered for £100! Crazy.

Alienation, Last Guardian, Tomb Raider, Sociable Soccer. Still got loads of games to play from last year first, though. Not even gotten to Dying Light, Fallout or Until Dawn yet.

Timberman80 31 December, 2015 @ 4:24 pm   14

Allized JRpgs 🙂 Especially Star Ocean 5. Probably the main reason to get a ps4 in 2016 :). Oh and #remoteplay

bootoosmgo 31 December, 2015 @ 4:27 pm   15

You forgot Mirror’s Edge Catalyst !

Cronoss69 31 December, 2015 @ 4:28 pm   16

Persona 5. The only game I’m actually urging to play. But who knows when it’ll come to Europe.

SectionHUN 31 December, 2015 @ 4:54 pm   17

hmmm.. that’s strange. No one said Horizon: Zero Dawn except Tom Jones. I’m really looking forward to it.
My list:
Uncharted 4
Horizon: Zero Dawn
The Witness
Gravity Rush 2
New CoD and BF
Rise of the Tomb Raider (for pc i think, i cant wait until 2016 december..)

Street Fighter V all the way, baby!

Cronoss69 1 January, 2016 @ 9:49 am

Really? Why not Ultra Arcade Super Street Fighter V Hyper Brutal Deluxe Extend?

Witcher70 31 December, 2015 @ 5:55 pm   19

Couldn’t pick out a single game, there is a great many i am looking forward to and January is shaping up to be a great start to an awesome year of gaming 🙂

Hope we get space engineers

And city skylines

And construction simulator

Oh and a proper graphics up date for minecraft

And boats and jet ski’s in crew, yes that it?

Oh, and removal of story in streetfighter game, for cgi series

One more, deck heros. We all need a good card collecting battle game. So many cards and possibilities best foundation out there optional art packs like transformers and marvel and perfect.

Ryusennin 31 December, 2015 @ 9:34 pm   27

Anyone quoting The Last Guardian is delusional.

As confirmed by Fumito Ueda, the game has been ready for years on PS3 without any major technical hiccups, contrary to what Yoshida pretended. The game just doesn’t fill any commercial niche anymore, and the only reason Sony keeps pulling it out of the bunny hat is that it’s a cheap marketing ploy to sell more systems and polish their brand image.

Yep, I will believe it when it is released and not before.

Any excitment I had for it has long gone.

Cronoss69 1 January, 2016 @ 9:53 am

Long gone, like, before ps3 released. Most users here weren’t even born.

Mirror s edge cathalyst
Far cry primal
Ucharted 4
Dishonored 2

That s all for me in 2016 so that will not be a memorial year. Good but really poor quantity.

I want “only fools and horses” the episodic adventure

Cronoss69 1 January, 2016 @ 9:55 am   30

Is Star Citizen coming (to PS4)?

Mass Effect: Andromeda and Final Fantasy XV are my big titles for the year.

GameOnLockFam 2 January, 2016 @ 6:44 am   32

For me, its tekken 7, mortal combat x, need for speed, fallout4, GTA 5 (for ps4, I already have it on Xbox 360) and that new ico game… Oh, and if they make a new crash bandicoot, I’m getting that to.

futurestar900 3 January, 2016 @ 3:39 pm   33

Nice but they need to work on other stuff other than remakes

DragonBall Xenoverse 2

Far cry primal ( pre orderd in real store 9/10 lots cheaper then on psn )
horizon : zero dawn ( Sony Computer Entertainment )
ff xv ( squire enix )
Mass Effect Andromeda ( Electronic Arts)
dark souls 3 ( Namco Bandai Games ) release ? /04/2016
Dragon Quest XI ( squire enix )
Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness ( squire enix )
Ni No Kuni 2: revenant kingdom ( Bandai Namco Games )
expansion dying licht- fallout 4

vr = no ( extra box i hate )
usb plug in the ps4 whithout extra box / 299 € – lots of games – lots of owners = maby

CoolRichy007UK 4 January, 2016 @ 2:20 pm   36

They said PlayStation developers not you lot oO