Posted

Media Molecule is 10 years old today!

The pioneering studio behind LittleBigPlanet, Tearaway and Dreams takes stock

On this day 10 years ago, a little studio called Media Molecule was founded by a group of friends who went on to have some pretty incredible adventures together. Mark Healey, Alex Evans, Kareem Ettouney and David Smith all met whilst they were working at Lionhead Studios. Along with help from Chris Lee, the man with the business plan, they were soon joined by Siobhan Reddy, Anton Kirczenow and Francis Pang – and Media Molecule was officially born!

In March of 2006 we moved into our first studio, a tiny (but cosy) office space above a bathroom shop in Guilford. It was here that our favourite little hessian friend Sackboy was born and at GDC the following year, we announced LittleBigPlanet to the world. Our lives were forever changed!

#07 - 20140604-0190#08 - Co_Op (5)

E3_2015_Mediakit_018

Since then we’ve released LittleBigPlanet and LittleBigPlanet 2 on PlayStation 3, Tearaway on PS Vita and Tearaway Unfolded on PlayStation 4. We’re currently working on Dreams, our upcoming game for PlayStation 4 and we’re super-excited for you all to get your hands on it.

The rest as they say is history, and it’s history that you can have a poke about in thanks to the ‘Marvellous Media Molecule Time Machine‘, made by our web development heroes Tom Kiss, Tom Dallaway and Martin Taylor! Click here to travel back in time and explore the Mm timeline. We’ve packed it full of photos and old blog posts so you can relive all the fun we’ve had over the past 10 years!

posterMm10

Our 10th anniversary is a very special milestone for us, so expect lots of celebrations throughout the year; our official birthday is just the beginning! We’ve got some pretty exciting announcements and events happening over the course of the next 12 months, not to mention all the fun we’ll be having with Dreams too. It’s going to be a jam-packed year so make sure you join us for the ride!

We couldn’t have got this far without all the endless love and support from our wonderful community; we really do have the best fans in the world. The energy and passion that you folks have for our games continually inspires us and pushes us forward. We never want to stop creating and making things for you all. Thank YOU for being the most awesome community we could have ever imagined – we love you all and we can’t wait to see what the next 10 years will bring!

MM_Group_124

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

38 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

CoolRichy007UK 4 January, 2016 @ 2:19 pm   1

Happy birthday 😀 n im 1st to post a comment wooo

PRIME_Dark 4 January, 2016 @ 2:21 pm   2

You know what would be the best “celebration” for us gamers? Why not launch a GIANT LittleBigPlanet franchise PSstore sale, with tons of older costumes and level kits heavily discounted.

crimsonidol-de 4 January, 2016 @ 2:39 pm   3

Happy Birthday and thank you for bringing LBP and Tearaway to life. 🙂
I really enjoy(ed) the games.

supersmith2500 4 January, 2016 @ 2:52 pm   4

Happy Birthday Mm!!

I might draw you a birthday gift art. 😀

LordRastan 4 January, 2016 @ 3:17 pm   5

happy birthday!, just now I was finishing a world on vita’s little big planet ( I bought it digitally on a sale with the marvel content).

by the way…. Don’t you think tearaway must have stuck on vita? it seems ps4 sales were awful….

I really enjoyed tearaway on vita, and I’ll pay gladly for another iteration of this franchise, on vita… but… I have more than enough games on ps4, I don’t feel like playing again a game who fitted perfectly on vita.

Please think about using the engine to cast a Tearaway 2, Vita owners will be grateful, and probably sales will be better.

hoard_moard 4 January, 2016 @ 3:24 pm   6

Happy birthday guys! Long live Media Molecule. 😉

WiiPlayPro 4 January, 2016 @ 3:58 pm   7

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the Amazing Games!!!!!!!!

Tearaway was amazing but bittersweet because it seized the full potential of the vita, a potential that was ultimately never wholly explored.

Wooohooo!! Happy birthday to most original company ever!! <3
Here's me wishing forb10 more years 🙂

DieFliedermouse 4 January, 2016 @ 5:30 pm   10

Ouch, right in the olds! Happy Birthday mm.

zalwelgoedgaan 4 January, 2016 @ 6:22 pm   11

Happy birthday! Tearaway on the Vita was such a wonderful experience, prodding the little gophers was always good for a giggle.

dubstephaxor1337 4 January, 2016 @ 8:42 pm   12

Congratulations! I loved LBP1 back when I was around 8-10 years old (and still do), I still haven’t played Tearaway but if I ever do get a chance I will.

Harrisown 4 January, 2016 @ 9:40 pm   13

tEaraway on vita is such a great game

bunnydogg 4 January, 2016 @ 10:34 pm   14

Happy bday

MyCreamHUN 4 January, 2016 @ 11:08 pm   15

PSN IS OFFLINE AGAIN??? THATSWHY I MUST PAY FOR PS PLUS SONY MEMBERS???? IT IS CRUEL FROM YOU IF YOU WANT US TO PAY FOR MULTIPLAYER!!!
From: a frustrated and disappointed PS fan………..

MyCreamHUN 4 January, 2016 @ 11:10 pm   16

Happy birthday! But this SONY entertainment is such a big nothing because of the wreckage of the psn………

XBLsNiPeR360 4 January, 2016 @ 11:10 pm   17

iv go all LBP game’s they are really fun to play with friends but why dose the online never work.

spiderninja1204 4 January, 2016 @ 11:34 pm   18

WHY MUST PSN GO DOWN AGAIN like really they need to upgrade their system

ferenzzz1971 5 January, 2016 @ 12:04 am   19

DDos attack?

paxton004 5 January, 2016 @ 12:05 am   20

We pay for a service that shouldn’t go down but it does we should be compensated for the server bein down alot of the time. But one voice isn’t enough

lumberjeff 5 January, 2016 @ 12:06 am   21

Von der “spielzeit” her hab ich große angst vor .dreams.
Das ding wird großartig und bei mir höchstwahrscheinlich mehr zeit in anspruch nehmen als fallout… ohje…

DANKE mediamolecule-team für eure ambitionen, eure genialität, dafür dass ihr euern fokus immer auf die community gerichtet habt und selbstverständlich auch dank für den kreativen größenwahn und alles einfach. Ihr seid großartig.
(Auch wenn niemals jemand vom mm.team dies hier liest und es auch sonst niemanden interessiert… 🙂 … )

Thx4all und happybirthday

Happy birthday Mm!!!

Witcher70 5 January, 2016 @ 1:04 am   23

Happy Birthday. Looking forward to your next game 🙂

OBEY_KILL3RZ_381 5 January, 2016 @ 1:10 am   24

Happy birthday

OBEY_KILL3RZ_381 5 January, 2016 @ 1:12 am   25

The server needs to be up its been down for to long

OBEY_KILL3RZ_381 5 January, 2016 @ 1:15 am   26

Instead of people having to pay make it free if it keeps going down

BeastModeENGAGE- 5 January, 2016 @ 2:35 am   27

Stop the Rot! And get the PSN back up and running. Who is responsible for fixing these problems? On recent form, a bunch of idiots must be in charge.
How can u charge for a service that is this unreliable and inconsistent? Skype in 3rd world countries holds up better than PSN.

Thanks for taking my money and leaving me hanging,
Yet another frustrated PS fan who’s seriously considering XBOX.

Zengamerqwerty 5 January, 2016 @ 7:41 am   28

Sorry but breaking news should be about the outage with some reassurance for your customers that their data has not been compromised. While this post is great, neglecting the issue today reflects poorly on Sony and our ability to trust company. If I have indeed missed your breaking news post about the potential hack then apologies.

MaxDiehard 5 January, 2016 @ 1:36 pm

This is about Media Molecule, not Sony. Keep your comments to relevant posts.

Zengamerqwerty 7 January, 2016 @ 6:37 am

Keep blogs relevant to gamers. The number one issue of the day was the outage. We need a voice. I did say it was a great post BTW.

warensembler83 5 January, 2016 @ 9:05 am   29

Staying on topic: Happy birthday, Media Molecule! I love LBP and Tearaway. Can’t wait to check out your next project. Keep up the good work!

Happy B-Day Mm!! Tearaway is one of my favorite games of all time! Thanks for all the fun you guys deliver! 🙂

Happy 10th Anniversary Media Molecule 🙂

MyCreamHUN 5 January, 2016 @ 12:28 pm   32

IT IS PATHETIC THAT YOU PLEASE MONEY FOR MULTIPLAYER AND THERE IS ALWAYS PROBLEM WITH PSN! I AM DISAPPOINTED AND I CANNOT UNDERSTAND HOW STEAM OR XBOX LIVE IS BETTER EVEN THEY HAVE MORE MEMBERS! (STEAM MUST HAVE MORE MEMBERS THAN PSN)! HOW CAN YOU LIVE WITH THAT IDEA IF ALWAYS GETTING DOWN THE PSN???? OR YOU SHOULDNT PLEASE MONEY FOR THIS CRAP PSN SYSTEM,DO NOT YOU THINK????????????????

mrobinson91 5 January, 2016 @ 1:05 pm

Didn’t Steam have issues over Christmas with people being able to access other people’s accounts?

MyCreamHUN 5 January, 2016 @ 1:33 pm

You are right but it is 1 mistake/year. Not 20 times like SONY do this!!!!!!! Always offline…. I am not a pc gamer,I wont upgrade pc because it is almost the same like the ps4 versions and pc dont have such a big exclusive games like ps4. But it is pathetic that Sony always make the psn offline and I CANNOT PLAY MY FAVOURITE GAMES ONLINE IF I HAVE TIME!!!!!!! Steam is not the same,I hate Steam but it is more better (such more!) with more players than psn!!!!! Congratulation SONY!!! I would like a compensation with the other ps plus members, I hate this BECAUSE I PAY FOR THE BIG NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!! I have time now and I cannot play anything online!!!!! THIS IS FOR THE PLAYERS??????? GIVE BACK OUR MONEY OR COMPENSATE IF THE PLAYERS ARE IMPORTANT FOR YOU! OR DONT PLEASE MONEY FOR THIS CRAP PSN MULTIPLAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Belated Happy 10th Birthday Mm. Congrats on all your success!

I’m looking forward to Dreams 😀

Love you guys and gals, and your games.

Happy 10 years, here’s to 10 more!