Posted

World of Tanks second beta weekend rolls out today

Everything you need to know about the trial run

Howdy Tankers, TJ Wagner here, Console Project Lead at Wargaming.net. I’m back again to kick off the World of Tanks on PlayStation 4 Beta Weekend second chance, which runs from 8-10th January. The team and I are all really excited to give players another go at our massively multiplayer, action-packed, 30-player tank combat this weekend. The last open beta weekend was a huge success and this is your last chance to join in and get ahead of the pack when we launch.

Whether you’re looking for great solo or multiplayer action, we got you covered with our PvE and PvP modes. World of Tanks is easy to pick up and start playing, and won’t cost you a dime. Players will have the chance to pick from over a hundred historically accurate tanks from the United States, Germany and the USSR!

We’ve added a new first time player experience to help you learn the ropes to this weekend’s beta test. Two new exclusive maps, one the largest World of Tanks map ever! Also, Platoons will allow you to pair up with up to four of your friends to play battles together. While the game is fun to play alone, Platoons add and whole new element and allow you to be more tactical on the battlefield with your friends. Join with friends or make new ones and crush all opponents.

E3_2015_Mediakit_018

As thanks to all that participate this weekend, just by logging in during the beta, you will be awarded a free M22 Locust PS US Light Tank complete with an anniversary camouflage honoring the original PlayStation and a T1E6-PS US Premium Light Tank. The M22 Locust is my favourite premium tank of all time and you can grab it for free.

If you’re not familiar with World of Tanks, we are Free-to-Play and Free-to-Win. You can play through every nation and their tanks for free and there’s no way to pay to be more powerful than others. We do sell premium tanks that earn and help you progress faster. Starting this weekend you can pick a few special ones up with our Founder’s Packs. Founder’s Packs contain rare tanks, Premium Account time and Silver (in-game currency) at great discounts. You can check them out in the PlayStation Store while the beta is running.

Once we launch you can expect a constant flow of cool content and new features rolling out monthly to explore and have fun with. Remember that all of your beta progress is carried over for when the game launches. None of your progress is ever wiped.

I could go on, but must ship game… See you on the battlefield!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

22 Comments 7 Author replies
Show oldest first

MaxDiehard 8 January, 2016 @ 4:48 pm   1

The testing needs to be longer than a weekend. The file sizes for this are quite frankly ridiculous. I never got to play last time due to the size.

Not all of us have stellar internet speeds.

Marvin Hall 8 January, 2016 @ 5:15 pm

Hello MaxDiehard,

You don’t need to download the entire client to start playing. You need to download a certain percentage of the client which will allow you to enter and play lower tier battles (which is fine because you have a new account).

If you’re able to launch the game, wait for the download seek bar to reach “playable”. Once that’s done, you can log in and start playing while the client downloads in the background.

Let me know how it goes!

Good luck.

Mojo__Man 9 January, 2016 @ 9:41 am

Maybe next time you can try and and offer preloading?

For most people they cant look at it until late on the 8th or 9th, and if they really want to try it then they only really get a day to do so, and feel its not worth bithering with the download.

If you can preload, you are good to go straight away.

Mojo__Man 9 January, 2016 @ 9:44 am

*bothering

BlackMastah 8 January, 2016 @ 4:53 pm   2

Yeah the last time I got to play…I found it “oke” the graphics left me a bit wanting for more…but ooo well
Why would you not play a free 2 play game

dee4life4444 8 January, 2016 @ 4:58 pm   3

Downloaded it.When does it launch for real?

Harrisown 8 January, 2016 @ 7:01 pm   4

I need to give it a shot. I kinda ran out of enthusiasm waiting for the 35 gigs to download.

spacedelete2 8 January, 2016 @ 7:35 pm   5

whats with the expensive microtransactions going up to 88 quid.

Witcher70 10 January, 2016 @ 10:09 pm

£88 ? Wow that’s insane!

All-That-Exists 11 January, 2016 @ 3:51 am

It’s a free to play game. You don’t have to spend a dime to get everything in the game. If you want to buy things, they offer tanks that help you gain money quicker. Those packs range in price for the amount of stuff it offers like tanks, gold, in game money, premium play time etc. You choose how much you want to spend on it

PureNomad 8 January, 2016 @ 9:17 pm   6

I know right, I’d want to fire a real tank round for that kinda money (surely should never cost more than a full retail game for add-ons)… cool we get a free Locust and anniversary skin though for trying the beta out, nice touch Wargaming.

P.S.
Do we need to download the entire 35gb again, when it launches officially? or will the beta contain most the full games resources.

Marvin Hall 11 January, 2016 @ 1:21 pm

Hey guys,

You won’t be required to download the full game again once it launches. You should be good to go as soon as we turn the servers on for launch 🙂

PureNomad 11 January, 2016 @ 3:29 pm

Thanks for the reply Mr. Hall, I’ll definitely be leading out a squad when it launches. Regardless of my comment I hope its a financial success and you port over World of Warships.

jordi_panzer 8 January, 2016 @ 10:47 pm   7

When is the final game going to be launched?

35GB! That would take me three days to download on crappy Sydney Internet! Forget it.

icecrasher_zero 10 January, 2016 @ 9:47 am   9

Don’t tell me that only in Poland we have fast Internet? You can play game with only 2,5GB base download. There’s training mode with AI, so you can test the game. It’s good that the game is free but I probably will not play it.

Mr_Pirotech 10 January, 2016 @ 11:19 am   10

Where can I post some feedback about gameplay and these staffs?

DerpTron006 10 January, 2016 @ 12:52 pm   11

Just checkin

How is the game?

PureNomad 11 January, 2016 @ 3:05 pm   13

I enjoyed it, managed to unlock at least 1 tank from 4 of the 5 classes over the weekend (didn’t get to unlock a spg/artillery tank). Its probably a little pedestrian for the CoD/BF/Destiny crowd, but I think thats why I enjoyed it. It seems to fit a mellow Sunday afternoon gaming niche, that few PS4 games cover.

Let me start by saying I have played this game hundreds of times on xbox360
The game play is almost exactly like what I am used to on xbox although my play station didn’t crash all the time. The graphics are much nicer and I enjoyed the added work put into the rain drops on the cobble stones and being able to see the mountain tops miles away. ( great work on that) The tanks and maps look great. The new map (serpents ridge) Is outstanding and very big. That’s a lot of climbing for the heavies.

There were a couple issues that I ran into, Not sure if this is the place to put them.
1: game glitches and lags at some points ,making it tough at times but this is expected for Beta I think.
2: At a few points it seamed that capping took an extraordinary length of time
3: A few times rounds fired did not cause damage that should have. for example at one point I was running a tier 3 tank destroyer and shot a tier 2 light tank 2-3 times broadside at maybe 50 yds and rounds seemed to go through it as if it was not there. Damage from a TD Broad side at short range should should be an almost a guarantee and or at least ricochetted.
Other than the above I do not recall many problems. I appreciate all the hard work you have put into this game and look forward to playing it.

Hi marvin hall.I,m czech and i have a questions ?When the world of tanks we can played again?Sorry my English

Hah, all these dummies complaining about needing to download 35GB when you only need like 3GB to actually play.
I had a bit of fun, was devastated when I went to log in last night before realising it was just a beta.

Guess I can play Hardware Rivals for tank-based action until launch…

Also will the game support mouse+keyboard? Turning while moving forward is a bit slippery on an analog stick. Maybe even allowing us to move using the d-pad, or giving us one-track-per-stick controls with turret turning on the top bumpers?
Need them options!

Marvin Hall 13 January, 2016 @ 2:13 pm

Hey RoboAddy,

There are no current plans to introduce a keyboard and mouse. The other suggestions you made are interesting and I can forward them to the devs.

Get ready for Jan 19th!