Posted

Not A Hero, from the team behind OlliOlli, hits PS4 next month

Roll7’s OTT 2D cover-based side-scrolling shooter launches on 2nd February

Hello PlayStation Blog readers! I’m John, creative director at Roll7 and I’m writing on this here blog, because we are excited to announce that Not A Hero, our 2D cover-based side-scrolling shooter about a purple rabbit from the future is coming to PS4, like REAL SOON.

E3_2015_Mediakit_018

So, what’s the story? Well, way back in 2012, when the internet was still in black and white and you had to get games on 3.5 inch floppy disks, roll7 made a couple of prototypes in a simple game-making tool called Clickteam Fusion. Through some kind of miracle/luck/timing, both of the games we made ended up getting signed.

One of those prototypes was OlliOlli, which we signed with Sony, and which you probably played and destroyed your DS4 controller in the process of learning nollie 360 hardflips. The other prototype was Ur Not A Hero, which we signed with Devolver Digital around the same time.

DN_011 DN_020DN_CO-OP_004

With OlliOlli, there was no way that development could continue in Clickteam Fusion, as the game needed to come to PS Vita and PS4. As such, we started from scratch in C++, and rebuilt the game from the beginning. We brought on a team, and in the end, a lot of people and a lot of hard work went into making OlliOlli the game it was.

Not a Hero on the other hand was coming to PC first. We’d never really dreamed of making it a PS4 title. When OlliOlli launched and we went back to working on Not A Hero, we did it in Clickteam Fusion.

Unlike OlliOlli, Not a Hero has always been a smaller, weirder, boutique game. We really wanted to keep it down-river. For most of the development there were only two people working directly on the game: myself and Jake Hollands. Many other people put countless hours into making the game great, from QA to sound design, but at its core, Not A Hero was built by two people, who basically didn’t sleep.

DN_011 DN_020DN_CO-OP_004

When it came to launch, we were so broken from a year of pretty much permanent late nights and working weekends, that even thinking about getting the game onto another platform other than Steam was beyond us! Not to mention the fact that it shouldn’t even be possible – Clickteam Fusion doesn’t even export to PS4!

But, after it’s awesome reception on Steam, and seeing how much people loved Bunnylord and the Fun Club’s (ultra) violent antics, we were determined to get the game onto our “home” console. We started out on PlayStation with OlliOlli, and it seemed a shame that Not A Hero wasn’t there.

It’s been a challenge and we’ve had a number of false starts and epic fails, but I’m pleased to announce that, with the help of some excellent people and the support of Devolver Digital, Not A Hero passed Sony QA first time, and will be coming to PS4 on 2nd February 2016!

DN_011 DN_020DN_CO-OP_004
Did you enjoy this?

Comments

43 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Flying_Pig 12 January, 2016 @ 2:03 pm   1

Any idea when we’ll get the Vita version? Will PS4/Vita be cross-cut and cross-save?

INS1GHTFUL 12 January, 2016 @ 2:09 pm   2

what about the vita version?

INS1GHTFUL 12 January, 2016 @ 2:10 pm

dont get me wrong, im happy for you guys that the PS4 version is done. I played this at EGX Rezzed last year and have been excited to get it for vita ever since. I hope we wont have long to wait

supersmith2500 12 January, 2016 @ 2:19 pm   3

I assume this will likely be our next PS+ title next month. Just watch.

Awesome! Been looking forward to this for ages.

New title for PixelStation4

And so it begins….developers are slowly moving away from the Vita….even those that got to where they are by starting on it.

RoaringMdog18 12 January, 2016 @ 3:09 pm   8

Vita version is cancelled? Well, guess im skipping this then and waiting for it to hit ps+ or for a sale where its dirt cheap.

Aces73High 12 January, 2016 @ 3:33 pm   9

No Vita version? Cancelled? Noooooo!

Along with Severed and — the hopefully brilliant — Salt and Sanctuary, Not a Hero was my most anticipated Vita game for the year ahead :0(

jos3moreira 12 January, 2016 @ 3:38 pm   10

No Vita version? No interest. No money.

Alondate31 12 January, 2016 @ 4:05 pm   11

Again, the VITA version vanishes into to the thin air. Cool

Arthurlantern 12 January, 2016 @ 4:30 pm   12

And another sad day for Vita.

LordRastan 12 January, 2016 @ 4:38 pm   13

no vita, no love… the truth is I have far better games on my ps4, I dont expect to lose my time on pixelated sidescrollers when I have on the shelf Metal Gear V half finished and a second tour on Temeria with Geralt… and dont forget about Uncharted 4 or Ratchet…

But… in vita, you had a chance of selling me this game….. sorry that you discarded it…

This would be perfect for Vita, i would buy it day one. But for ps4 not a chance of buying it. Sorry but i still have tons of AAA games on Ps4 to play. Vita needed this.

Less than zero interest with no vita-version, to be honest.

Without a Vita version, I won’t be getting this, sorry guys!
Looks like a pretty nifty game…

flatspikes 12 January, 2016 @ 8:19 pm   17

Another post with a lack of honesty… If the Vita version is cancelled just state it in the post. As for me no Vita equals no buy, sorry guys.

PIREDERAS 12 January, 2016 @ 10:34 pm   18

You can port Not A Hero to PS4 but not on the Vita? Seriously? I was looking forward to this game, but the cancellation of the promised cross-buy Vita port (where it would nicely fit) will have me pass on this game. Although I suspect it’s gonna be on PS Plus IGC next month.

warensembler83 12 January, 2016 @ 10:46 pm   19

Why not on Vita? If I had to choose to have it on PS4 or Vita, I’d choose Vita any day of the week. It looks great, but I think I’ll just pass.

noodleboy1972 12 January, 2016 @ 11:01 pm   20

I was looking forward to this,bro force and Isaac afterbirth for vita.Now we won’t be getting any of them.

Wait, so the vita can handle the truly epic Guacamelee, two Rayman games, Muramasa rebirth and the upcoming Odin Sphere perfectly at 60fps but not this? I can’t see myself buying the ps4 version unfortunately, I wish you guys success with the game though but count me out.

infernalmonkey1 13 January, 2016 @ 2:39 am   22

Sad to hear the Vita version was cancelled. Absolutely zero interest in playing this on PS4, and remote play is rubbish.

Oh well, saves me some money!

LieutenantFatman 13 January, 2016 @ 7:43 am   23

I wonder why the Vita version was cancelled, this game looks to be perfect for it. I thought Indie titles sold really well on the Vita, has that changed recently?

LieutenantFatman 13 January, 2016 @ 7:48 am   24

Their Twitter feed says they love the Vita, and are bringing other games to the Vita this year so nice to know they haven’t abandoned it.

It’s funny that the Vita version is cancelled due to lack of sales/no interest/etc… when nearly ALL the posts on the PS4 article are asking for the VITA version! Ironic really…

What’s sad is I’m not really a fan of RPGs which is about 80% of the vita schedule these days so all I have to look forward to are good 2d action/platform side scrollers. It seems like I have to hold my breath when I see one of these posts and breath a sigh of relief or in this case despair at the end.

My launch day vita would be happy with 2 or 3 solid indie games a month for me but in 2016 that’s probably not going to happen.

no vita release; my bank account thanks you Roll7.

LordRastan 13 January, 2016 @ 8:44 am   27

It’s great to have indies on ps4, even better if they give them for free on plus IGC. But the truth, as I already told them on twitter, is we have far better games to invest our hours on PS4, an average game like Witcher, Metal Gear, Dragon Age, Call of Duty, Bloodborne, bring us dozens and dozens of hours of gameplay, I can’t waste my time playing on 8 bits revivals on such a powerful system.
Vita is a completely different story, there are few AAA -no newer ones- and if you don’t like japanese visual novels and jrpg you must stuck to psp titles (ironic, I have more psp titles purchased on vita than ever had on psp) or indies.

Indies are great, lesser games, full of new Ideas and old gameplay, when I put my childs to sleep, and manage to get some minutes on ps4, I don’t like to play as I played on snes, but on vita… well, there are always spots when you could draw the vita and play for a few minutes, and indies fit right on its incredible screen and controls.

There are some indie developers claiming that vita has not enough power to move it’s games, people like the isaac developer, or the bastion’s port programmers, and it seems even those from Roll7.

Well, please let me tell you something about:

LAZYNESS

When a hardware comes out with games -let me be ecclectic- like: Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, Killzone, Dragons Crown, Fez, Guacamelee, Soldner X2, Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Sly 4… and you complain about not managing to port some fuzzy pixels.. there is a problem, and it’s not on Vita, maybe you have lack of resources, maybe you expect to have a magic button “ps4/pc to vita”, but dont tell me the hardware is not enough…

Rare managed to put donkey kong country on a snes, We had thunder force IV on Megadrive, and the commodore amiga could show us Turrican 2 on a 720kb floppy….

Dont tell me vita is not powerful enough for your games. Dont insult my intelligence.

Tell me there are not enough potentiall customers out there, that even lessers sales on ps4 are better than stronger sales on vita. That I can accept.

But, as the above user tell us, is strangelly ironic, since the only interes raised on your post is on betrayed vita users…

Vita will have a highlight in history as a system too powerful to be managed by sony, abandoned by them, and still full of great games, despite the lack of efforts… not for being too slow to move some hipster pixels..

OndikPindik 13 January, 2016 @ 10:42 am   28

Another Vita game cancelled due to its limitations. I really don’t get it. There are far more demanding games on the system that runs really well. At least I will save my money, not going to buy this for PS4. On vita that would be perfect. So thank you.

anunnakid 13 January, 2016 @ 12:22 pm   29

You are kidding yourself if you think people are going to buy this for ps4 only. I love 8bit games but they look so ugly on a big screen. The vita version was the only reason I was going to pick this up.
So forget it. I’ll get when its ps+ free and play remote play on my freaking vita.
Bad choice guys, no vita no buy.
End of discussion.

isaac_tejerina 13 January, 2016 @ 1:38 pm   30

Right. No Vita, no buy.

HomessaHomem 13 January, 2016 @ 6:56 pm   31

I WANT THIS IN MY VITA!

Alienshade 13 January, 2016 @ 10:10 pm   32

I will only play this game if its on the ps vita……

nukualofaperson 14 January, 2016 @ 10:49 am   33

That’s one of the coolest looking games I’ve seen. I’ll buy it (in a while, after I’ve played through more backlog games).