Posted

Meet the voice cast for Jonathan Blow’s PS4 adventure The Witness

The Last of Us’ Ashley Johnson is among the performers

We’re a couple of weeks away from our release date, and we’ve just finished recording the last of the voice acting, which means it’s a good time to tell you about the actors!

E3_2015_Mediakit_018

The Witness deliberately riffs on several traditional elements of game design, and one of those elements is the classic audio log, where you are wandering along and you find a recording that was placed there by someone before.

The Witness has recordings like this, but let’s just say they are done in a highly non-traditional way. When you first encounter them you won’t find much in the way of answers, but, if you keep looking, you will eventually be able to piece together what’s going on.

These are the folks whose fine voicework you will hear in these recordings:

Ashley Johnson, who you may know as Ellie from The Last of Us, or from her roles in Tales from the Borderlands and Infamous: First Light. She also plays the smartest person on the hit TV show Blindspot. You can find Ashley on Twitter here.

E3_2015_Mediakit_018

Phil LaMarr, who I best know as Marvin from Pulp Fiction, but who you may know as Vamp in Metal Gear Solid 2 and 4, or as Ratbag from Shadow of Mordor. He also played Hermes in Futurama and Ollie Williams in Family Guy! You can follow his random musings here.

E3_2015_Mediakit_018

Matthew Waterson, who played very English person Sir Lucan in The Order: 1886, and has recently acted in Fallout 4 and Halo 5. Check out Matthew’s amazing Sean-Connery-themed profile picture here.

E3_2015_Mediakit_018

Terra Deva, an oft-performing musician, including recent hit single “At Night” with the Swiss group Shakedown (though she doesn’t play music in The Witness because we don’t have music in The Witness! She is acting!) and veteran of… The Mickey Mouse Club (among many other places)!! Terra’s Twitter is here.

E3_2015_Mediakit_018

I will warn you, though, that the story in The Witness, such as it is, is fairly subtle and happens mostly implicitly. You really have to explore and read between the lines to know what’s going on. So do not expect a traditional game story like The Last of Us or The Order! All that said, we are very happy to have these actors lending their talents to our game, and I look forward to release when you’ll see what we’ve been up to.

#07 - 20140604-0190#08 - Co_Op (5)
#07 - 20140604-0190#08 - Co_Op (5)
Did you enjoy this?

Comments

25 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

MartinB105 14 January, 2016 @ 4:03 pm   1

Been waiting for this since the PS4 reveal almost three years ago. Day one.

Ashley Johnson would successfully steal me from my fiance if she wanted too 😛 Seriously though, Where is this game? It is taking way too long. Maybe showing it early was a mistake.

Aces73High 14 January, 2016 @ 4:16 pm

You and me both, Link1983!

That being said, having celebrated our 21st wedding anniversary only last Saturday, my wife might have something to say about that! Better keep my secret fandom for AJ on the down-low. Shh 😉

Twenty-one years huh. Where does the time go?!

Tranquil-Fury 14 January, 2016 @ 9:52 pm

@ Aces73high

21 years, people serve less time for murder ☺

21 years is a good run especially by today’s standards. I’m sure she has some sort of secret Troy Baker or Nolan North scrapbook somewhere so no need to feel guilty 🙂

Aces73High 14 January, 2016 @ 4:08 pm   3

Cool, I’ve been über excited for The Witness for just the longest time! I’ll be buying it on both PS4 and iPad.

Hey Jonathan, while you’re here, is there any chance of releasing Braid on PS Vita? It’d be great to fall in love with the seminal platformer all over again. Only this time, on my favourite system of all time… that’s right, the oft-overlooked, but utterly fantastic, Playstation Vita :0)

Nice to hear directly from you, Jonathan! I’m very intrigued by this game and can’t wait to play it.

udontneed2know26 14 January, 2016 @ 4:17 pm   5

Amazing this is finally hitting after being unveiled at the Playstation 4 Feb. Reveal. One of my most anticipated of the year and really excited to see the voice actors present are high quality. Ashley looks fantastic in that photo too!

Can’t wait, instant purchase and my surround is ready for the intricate sound in this one

Lunastra78 14 January, 2016 @ 4:28 pm   6

Looks great. There’s something about the vibrant coloring and artstyle that sets it apart visually from other games. It should provide a nice break from my seemingly never-ending Witcher 3 playthrough.

kingofscotland 14 January, 2016 @ 5:04 pm   7

Finally – I can’t wait to play this, It just looks so great, and I’ve not played a great puzzle game since Portal 2

hyperrabbit2 14 January, 2016 @ 5:16 pm   8

Fantastic voice cast for fantastic looking game!

I’ll be keeping my diary clear for release date, and I’ll probably even take the day off.

Not to wish my life away but….CAN’T WAIT!!

ProxyArcane 14 January, 2016 @ 6:05 pm   10

Ashley Johnson is bae and this game is gonna be my first new release I’m playing this year.

KaneTheGoth 15 January, 2016 @ 5:40 am

Please never say “bae” again.

100% with KaneTheGoth, It’s not a word, it’s an insult to the English language.

I just googled “bae”. Apparently it is Danish for ‘turd’. So, I’m not sure what you are trying to say here.

I am/was interested in this game. It was announced waaaaay to early.

Ryusennin 15 January, 2016 @ 9:41 pm   12

Bae: Danish word for poop. Also used by miscreants on the internet who think it means baby, sweetie etc.

Looking forward to this game! Any news on the price?

SectionHUN 16 January, 2016 @ 9:25 pm   14

Is this will be a Digital only game? And what about the price.. i can’t find the game in the store..

nulenvoid 17 January, 2016 @ 5:36 am   15

I hope this does well with the amount of work and money you’ve put into it, I also hope Sony (and staff) give it good support and marketing to aid getting it out there.

Don’t care about voice actors – I care about actual gameplay.

Feels like absolutely years and years ago when I first heard about this game , been following its ups and downs, and now it’s finally here, puzzles are my kinda game , anything that makes you use the old grey matter lol, every time I see an update I’m more and more impressed, thank you Jonathan, long time coming but well worth the wait,

CoolRichy007UK 26 January, 2016 @ 12:57 am   18

This game BETTER NOT be delayed it says out 26th jan its now 26th jan it should of been added by now the ps4 store just updated abit so hurry up and add it already and the word delay has just been locked in jail