Toki Tori 2+ coming to PS4 next month, with added telepathic frogs

Find out how - and why - Two Tribes has re-tooled its puzzle platformer

The original Toki Tori 2 didn’t have any writing. We were very strict about that! While it made for a unique, non-verbal puzzle adventure, the game’s backstory remained hidden. Now that it’s coming to PS4 on 23rd February, we decided to go back in and lift a tip of the veil… using telepathic frogs!

Sequel Principles

Before I go into the frogs, let’s retrace a few steps. When we started developing a sequel to level-based egg collection puzzler Toki Tori at Two Tribes, we wanted it to be a completely different experience. To achieve this goal, we formulated a bunch of rather bold principles.

Starting off, we wanted a large, open world without any traditional puzzle items. Our chicken hero would have just two moves, whistle and stomp, and great complexity would arise from that simple core. To raise the stakes even further, everything in Toki Tori 2 would speak for itself, literally. There would be no written or spoken words at all. No opening crawl. No tutorial. No dialogue. Nothing!

For me as the story guy (I hesitate to use the word “writer'”), this meant I had to create a backstory that would only be implied to players. I had mixed feelings about this: those who’d fill in pieces of the story puzzle by themselves would feel more special… But there would also be players who wouldn’t pick up on any of it. And being understood is a basic human need!

#07 - 20140604-0190#08 - Co_Op (5)

Telepathic Frogs

So what happened next? The game came out, some people loved it, some didn’t get it, Two Tribes went through tough times, and, well, we softened up a little. Thus, following a looser interpretation of our principles, the PS4 version of Toki Tori 2+ will contain some writing, revealing more of what’s going on for the very first time.

The mysterious pollution that bubbles up everywhere, that Toki Tori has to stop? That was forewarned by five ancient frogs. But they were kicked out of the capital city. Now our hero has to find the frogs, restore the environment, and hope that his home world won’t fall from the sky in the process.

The ancient frogs were always essential to the game’s second half, but now they communicate with Toki Tori from the start. They do this collectively, telepathically, and a tad Yoda-like (making the game semi-verbal instead of non-verbal). Grumbling and begrudgingly, the frogs give you details of your quest via thought bubbles.

I don’t hesitate to say that the telepathic frogs make Toki Tori 2+ for PS4 the best version yet. It’s coming to the console through PlayStation Store and on disc (A first for this game!) on 23rd February. I look forward to hearing whether the game’s backstory makes sense to you this time around.

Did you enjoy this?

12 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first
HomessaHomem 14 January, 2016 @ 7:12 pm   1

Hi, any chance of a PS Vita version?

SecondGenesis 14 January, 2016 @ 8:48 pm   2

So, next months PS+ game then?

Alondate31 14 January, 2016 @ 8:59 pm

No, probably not. A plus title won’t come on a date like 23rd February

Carnivius_Prime 14 January, 2016 @ 10:44 pm   3

What? I gotta reeeead in this one? But that uses up too much of my brainpowers. :/

I liked the first game though so will likely try this one. 😀

infernalmonkey1 15 January, 2016 @ 1:14 am   4

This would have been a perfect fit for Vita. Oh well. 🙁 Played through this on Wii U a while back and loved it.

Cool to hear it’s getting a physical release though! Who’s publishing?

We are working with sigh publisher Soedesco on this one! It’s really cool to see a retail release of our game!

This game looks like it would be a real huge hit on the PS VITA. I really dont understand why developers dont take advantage of the system more. The competition for play time on the PS4 is so high that i doubt this game will get enough play time from gamers because they will be playing other huge titles…

And Dev to VITA from PS4 is supposed to be easy so i really just dont get it.

Long live the VITA – my fav handheld in the history of handhelds

frimo_online 15 January, 2016 @ 5:29 pm

As much as I love my Vita, I honestly don’t see how anyone would think porting from PS4 to Vita would be easy. You’re basically taking a game that runs on a PC and trying to get it to run on an iPhone 4S. Albeit architectures might be similar, but the sheer power difference alone is staggering. It’s non-trivial.

Aces73High 15 January, 2016 @ 6:28 pm

‘Long live the VITA – my fav handheld in the history of handhelds’

I’d go one further, I love Vita EVEN MORE than my PS4… Vita – my favourite system since the Super Nintendo (SNES).

passanoir 19 January, 2016 @ 1:02 pm

@Frimo_online Why is it then that RocketBirds 2 can do this?

It should be mandated that all Platform/side scrollers/top down shooters etc be released on the VITA aswell.

Aces73High 15 January, 2016 @ 6:25 pm   6

Played this on Wii U a couple of years back. Quite enjoyed it :0)