Posted

Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty lands on PS Vita this week

Find out how the classic adventure has been tailored for portable play

Hello Oddworld fans! It’s been a little while since we’ve been here on PlayStation Blog talking about our games, but we’re delighted to finally share the first details of our upcoming PS Vita title – Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty – and explain exactly what we’ve been doing in making this version of Abe the Mudokon’s critically acclaimed adventure.

The PS Vita’s a wonderful machine, and for Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty it grants us – for the first time with this particular title – the ability to build an experience designed to be enjoyed on the bus, or laid back on the sofa, or for those sneaky 10 minute distractions under the desk while your boss calls this week’s Important Meeting.

In essence, this is very much Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty – the same 84% Metacritic hit that launched on PlayStation 4 in 2014 and PlayStation 3 in 2015 – but it’s a refined, specially adapted version of the game that plays to the strengths of the mobile format, while still delivering that “AAA indie” level of polish our fans have come to expect.

ONnT_PSV_EarlyParamoniaPuzzle

For starters, we’ve reworked the controls considerably. Heaps of attention has been lavished on the individual buttons and sticks – tweaking the analogue dead zones, doubling up the shoulder buttons and making sure that Abe always goes exactly where you want him to no matter what. Want to play New ‘n’ Tasty on a plane or a train? We’ve got you covered.

So, the two ‘old school’ control settings from the PS4 version have been made the default. This means that X hops you forward, not up; and the left analogue stick is used to walk, not run. For the latter to happen, you hold down the R trigger, and, similarly, the L trigger is used to sneak. Push both triggers to chant. It’s a fluid, intuitive and very ‘digital’ feeling system that takes all of ten seconds to master, and then you’ll wonder why we didn’t do that at first!

Elsewhere, we’ve kept the free aiming and throwing on the right analogue stick, but once aiming, a tap of the R trigger throws whatever Abe’s holding. Want to drop something on the ground instead of whizzing it through the air? Just tap the centre of the front touch screen.

ONnT_PSV_RuptureFarmsLever

Gamespeak – the revolutionary way to interact with other characters and puzzles in the game that helped make the original PlayStation version such a hit – is on the digital pad. Up’s for “Hello”, Right’s for “Follow me” – you get the idea. Want to whistle, laugh or even perform one of Abe’s hysterical farts? Simply use Triangle as a Gamespeak shift button. Again, once you’ve tried it this way, it makes perfect sense.

Of utmost importance, however, is the fact that we’ve retained the instant QuikSave and QuickLoad from the PlayStation 4 version: tap SELECT to QuikSave wherever you are in the game, and hold the same button to reload. It might not help your speedrunning times if you die and have to reload, but it removes any frustration that a set of three rapidly oscillating meat grinders might otherwise enforce. It also means you can Quiksave, do something else with the Vita and come back to it at exactly the same point in the game.

And speaking of speedrunning, we’ve been humbled by the response to our leaderboards in New ‘n’ Tasty on PS4 and PS3, and we’re delighted to announce that speedrunning on the go is present and correct for PS Vita. But we’ve not stopped there – we’ve been carefully watching how people have been playing the game, and thrown in a few minor revisions here and there to throw you off a little.

ONnT_PSV_ScrabChase

We’ve also worked tirelessly to ensure that the visual experience on the PS Vita matches up as closely as it can with the other versions. We’ve made the game look a little grittier – gone is the bloom and glow leaving an aesthetic that closer resembles the 1997 classic – while tweaking every single area in the game to suit the platform.

We’ve also improved the readability of certain items that just wouldn’t have worked on the smaller screen without some attention: mines are now painted bright red so you can’t accidentally stumble into them without blaming yourself; well leaves are bigger so it’s clearer which way you need to go as Abe attempts his temple trials; a few camera angles have been adjusted, and so on.

And of course, everybody loves PlayStation trophies, right? Well, Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty features a full rack of them, including a Platinum for those that possess the skill to save every single Mudokon in under 3 hours… 😀

ONnT_PSV_StockyardsStart

All this makes for what we think is a great version of Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty. One designed for gaming on the go, with the Quiksaves working hard to ensure you can dip into the game for as little or as long as you’d like per session, but one that retains all the great playability, humor, visual direction and audio from its bigger brothers. We’re excited to get the game in front of PS Vita owners, and the time to do that is very nearly here.

Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty will be out on 19th January, 2016 across the UK, Europe and America.

And after that, well, it’s on to Exoddus… 🙂

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

50 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first
Arthurlantern 18 January, 2016 @ 4:08 pm   1

It’s a happy day for vita

Sweet. TBH I tried it on ps4 but decided to wait as the vita my preferred choice for this as my handheld deserves all the love it can get. What’s the file size and I wish they would stop games power saving during a cut scene as it can really be annoying when your enjoying it and the screen darkens

Actarus2878 18 January, 2016 @ 4:17 pm   3

Hello,
Is the vita version cross-buy for owners of ps4/ps3 version?

madmanwithabox12 18 January, 2016 @ 4:19 pm   4

It’s finally here! =D

Great blog post too, I really enjoyed reading and gaining some insight into how you’ve adapted it for Vita. Enjoyed it on PS4, might dip back in for the Platinum on Vita – especially with that speed run trophy taunting me.

As a lifelong fan, I look forward to whatever Oddworld has in store. Shame Exoddus remake probably won’t be on Vita given the trouble this one was, but honestly I’m just happy to see the best game in the series getting remade at all. Exoddus is perfection.

Well i still prefer Exoddus to Oddysee, probably because of the variety of environments…

madmanwithabox12 19 January, 2016 @ 12:56 pm

That’s what I mean. Exoddus > Stranger > Oddysee > Munch.

I’d nearly finished saving everyone on the ps1 version using vita when this was announced, don’t remember the problems you corrected but it’s appreciated, plus trophies! I’m assuming this is crossbuy but sounds like a lot of extra work went into it so I’m not sure.

LordRastan 18 January, 2016 @ 4:23 pm   6

Great!!! It’s a game highly anticipated! It’s been a few sad days for vita with cancellations like not a hero or never alone.

It’s good to see there are still games coming. This oddworld is a great game, I also have it on ps4 (IGC) but I prefer to play this kind on games on vita.

Keep bringing good games to vita!

yarik-raider 18 January, 2016 @ 4:46 pm   7

What happened to the graphics? Why are the textures are so blurry? Where are the shaders? Where are real-time shadows? It’s PS Vita and PSP, c’mon…

it’s the same on PS3 so don’t complain, it’s a miracle they got it ported there.

MissDreamer 18 January, 2016 @ 4:52 pm   8

Hi, I would like to know if the cross save feature will be added to all three versions tomorrow as I would like to transfer my PS3 save to my Vita thanks.

Very happy this is finally out for Vita. Thank you.:)

I platinum’d it on PS4, would love to platinum it again on Vita, so I have two questions…

Does it have it’s own trophies?
Is it cross-buy?

This is fantastic news, as a 35 years old guy who spent to many hours playing the original I can’t wait for this, I finished this remake on PS4 already (right after it launched) and saved all the Mudokons and since it was some time ago already it will feel fresh and familiar all over again! Hooray for Cross-buy to!!

Congrats guys, it’s so great to have something to play on the Vita – this is likely the last good title for the platform, definitely an excellent send off!

One thing though, it’s up on the store now but is not showing as a cross buy title. I purchased it on the PS4 way back when and there’s no option for me to download the Vita version, only to purchase.

So is it not cross buy?

Different region, but same problem here. Oh well, it’ll go in the Wishlist until it gets promptly fixed. I bought the PS4 version back in the day, too.

StevenJamesHyde 19 January, 2016 @ 8:05 am

This game was promised as crossbuy when it first released on PS4, and I paid money for it based on that promise. I haven’t played any other version as I was waiting for the Vita release. If it isn’t crossbuy any more, I want a refund

I don’t think you’re eligible for a refund after all this time, in any case.

StevenJamesHyde 19 January, 2016 @ 10:39 am

Moot point, it’s sorted now. Woohoo!

“this is likely the last good title for the platform, definitely an excellent send off!” The ignorance is strong in this one! SMH!! So many great games still coming to the Vita, try doing a little research perhaps?

GIGGITY_GOO__ 19 January, 2016 @ 12:17 am   12

I got the ps plus version so mine is free 🙂
I’ve seen might be physical version with limited run games I will buy it from them if turns out true

Doesn’t look like it is crossbuy, might be why this is such a long post listing ‘enhancements’ etc.

GIGGITY_GOO__ 19 January, 2016 @ 9:22 pm

It come up as £15.99p after midnight but checked in afternoon and it come up as free I’ve downloaded it

LordRastan 19 January, 2016 @ 8:11 am   13

It seems someone made a mistake, it’s not crossbuy, There are 2 items on the stor for ps3 and ps4 version, I bought both of them when the IGC was active, but now the Vita version shows the price, not the free download.

Please, could anybody check what happened?

Thanks!

Actarus2878 19 January, 2016 @ 8:29 am   14

Dear Oddworld fans.

When Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty was given a release date on PS4 we were excited to announce that the game would be Cross Buy on all PlayStation platforms. This means that if you buy the game on PS4, PS3 or PS Vita, you would get the other versions to download at no extra cost when they were released.

When the PS4 version of New ‘n’ Tasty was featured in March 2015’s PlayStation Plus line-up, the PS3 and PS Vita versions were very much still in development (indeed, the PS Vita version still is) and so it was our intention then that only the PS4 version of the game would form part of the PS Plus system.

Developing the other versions of the game is not a simple, cost-free process, and takes time, money and considerable effort.

That said, numerous factors (including fan feedback) have prompted us to change our stance on this particular matter. So, if you downloaded New ‘n’ Tasty for PS4 during the PS Plus period, the PS3 and PS Vita versions of the game will be free for download for you on release.

We always appreciate feedback from fans, so thank you for continuing to make your voices heard. We thrive off having as open a relationship as we can with our community, and trust that this blog post satisfies any outstanding comments you may have. If not, please reach out to us.

The PS3 version of New ‘n’ Tasty is out now, and work continues with the PS Vita version, on which we hope to have news soon.

This is the message released by Oddworld Inhabitants upon release of the ps3 version, it is clearly stated that the psvita version would be free but now you charge 19,99€ dor the psvita version even for people who bought ps4/ps3 version and don’t even give an explanation??? Are you kidding us????? It was clearly stated that the game would be cross-buy on all 3 platforms so know i hope people will ask their money back because this behaviour is totally unacceptable abd is becoming commun upon developpers!!!!!

Actarus2878 19 January, 2016 @ 10:58 am

Happy to see Oddworld Inhabitants stood to their word and have sorted things out!

LordRastan 19 January, 2016 @ 8:37 am   15

It’s a simple mistake, don’t worry, they already answered on twitter

Oddworld Inc ‏@OddworldInc 1 hHace 1 hora

Oddworld Inc Retwitteó ~~~Oldmaru~~~

There’s a bug with cross buy, hopefully sorted this morning.

So keep calm and wait for the update 😉

smokeypsd 19 January, 2016 @ 9:36 am   16

Thank you so much for keeping good on releasing this version and supporting the Vita.

OneTonKillEm 19 January, 2016 @ 12:28 pm   17

The PS4 version of this game currently cost £6.19p. If I was to buy the PS4 version of the game today will I get the PS Vita version for free? Or is the PS Vita version only free for does who downloaded the Playstation Plus PS4 version in March 2015?

No, i’ve bought the PS4 version back in summer 2014, i was eligible of both the PS3 and Vita versions.

OneTonKillEm 19 January, 2016 @ 12:50 pm   18

Ok, I just bought the PS3 version for £6.19p and the PS Vita version is now free for me to download. I am a very happy man right now. Thank you Oddworld Inhabitants.

CurtChapman 19 January, 2016 @ 1:15 pm   19

I bought my PS4 copy on launch and it was showing no crossbuy..

To rectify this I went into the we store and searched for the game, re purchased the “free” ps4/ps3 version (as there is also an “unavaliable” listing) and after that the vita version was free of charge!

Hemming87 19 January, 2016 @ 2:36 pm   20

Is there a cross save feature? I’ve played some of it on the PS3 but would love to move it over to the vita to finish it on the go 😀

Ever since these remakes were announced years and years ago I’ve been waiting (im)patiently, then when they came out and the Vita version was delayed I was really disappointed, I’ve literally been checking news sites and release dates weekly for the last 18 months or whatever, spamming the Oddworld Facebook page with questions about when it’s out and now it’s finally here! One of my favourite ever games, I’m really excited to play this. Thanks guys, I genuinely half thought this would never come out!!

Will my save on the PS4 carry over to the vita.. I have the save uploaded to the cloud but I am not seeing it on the Vita

CommanderClif 20 January, 2016 @ 4:32 am   23

Same question here as those asking about cross save. I guess the question is when is it coming. I remember reading that it was going to be there and sure enough, I found the article from April 2014 on oddworld.com that the odd inhabitants were hard at work on the cross save feature. 1 year and 8 months later you gotta think it’s ready right??

passanoir 20 January, 2016 @ 6:21 am   24

Wohooo!!! like is good

Hats off to the devs for crossbuy and releasing it when its on sale on ps4.