Posted

Rocketbirds 2: Evolution coming soon to PS4 and PS Vita

New game modes and features for the avian action game sequel

Hello PlayStation fans! My name is Sian Yue Tan, creator of Rocketbirds. We’ve spent the last four years really looking at what people liked and disliked about the original Rocketbirds game and after a long wait, we’re happy to announce the sequel – Rocketbirds 2: Evolution!

Before we even started the project, we wanted Rocketbirds 2 to provide a more connected experience than its predecessor, Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken, which we launched on the PlayStation 3 back in 2011. But it wasn’t until we finally completed the PS Vita version of the game in early 2013, that we could finally start realising some of those great ideas.

It kind of ate away at me that after you completed the game’s Story and Co-op mode, you would have killed all the bad guys, solved all the puzzles, and “that” was pretty much “it”.

RB2 Screens 1

My gut told me that we should build on Co-op mode and have customisable Budgie Commando characters with lots and lots of guns and items to collect. The mission objectives would revolve around rescuing hostages held prisoner in procedurally generated locations. Unlike the first Rocketbirds, this time round we wanted you to stack the hostage on your back and carry him or her to safety. With up to four players, a stack of Budgie Commandos can now get pretty high, like a lumbering “tower of death”!

Unlike its predecessor, you can also play this mode alone, so we renamed it “Rescue Mode”, instead of “Co-op Mode.” We feel the new Rescue Mode will be something PlayStation gamers will truly enjoy, especially when playing online together!

Apart from some seriously updated visuals, other stuff we wanted to get right was to implement the online stuff early on in the project so we could build that from the ground up and provide a much better online multiplayer experience – this time we’re using a lobby and players can drop-in/drop-out at any time during an active online session.

RB2 Screens 5

We also wanted to improve the controls, responsiveness and deepen the game’s combat mechanics, which was another chief complaint we received on the predecessor; this time round, it’s all about speed (and skill). The controls are still very pick-up-and-play, but with a bit of practice, players can run, aim, jump and shoot; all at the same time.

About a year and a half in, we had a cool playable demo up and running and we grabbed every opportunity to get it in a booth to watch people play and get feedback. To date, throughout production, our game was playable at Gamestart Asia, Casual Connect Singapore, Taipei Game Show, Tokyo Game Show and Bitsummit Kyoto.

Nothing beats watching people play your game and we made lots of tweaks based on these mass focus tests, like adding a performance scorecard, “down-not-out” mechanics, Rent-A-Duck (for additional “feather-power” support) and we even added a Dojo, where players can go head-to-head and see who is the badass-est birdie of ’em all!

RB2 Screens 2RB2 Screens 3

We always received great feedback from showcasing the game’s Rescue Mode, but one recurring question from players was always: “So, where’s the chicken?” I could see the serious disappointment in people’s faces when we told them that Hardboiled Chicken’s mission (to kill Putzki, that evil Penguin despot) was completed, so we’re only going to have those pint-sized Budgie Commandos in this game. Long story short… we spent another year and a half going the full nine yards to complete a full blown Story Mode, featuring Hardboiled Chicken, a new soundtrack by the talented band New World Revolution (which provided the kick-ass soundtrack for the original game), new jokes, new enemies, new Jetpack action, and full voice-over work by really talented English and Japanese voice actors!

In Story mode, Hardboiled finds out iL Putzki is still alive and seeks to eliminate him once and for all. Along the way, Hardboiled realizes the Trans-dimensional Space Owls are behind it all and needs to re-assess who his enemies really are. We’ve hidden lots of weapons and Easter eggs for you to find, but if you complete Story Mode and still want more, you can still unlock the big chicken for Rescue Mode and can carry on playing (alone or with friends)…

And lastly, Rocketbirds 2 Evolution will feature cross-buy/cross-save where players can buy the game for one price and own it on both the PS4 and PS Vita, with the ability to play and save on both systems for finger-licking fun!

Look for more information about Rocketbirds 2 Evolution in the very near future! Thanks for reading.

RB2 LogoGame Show
RB2 Screens 4
Did you enjoy this?

Comments

24 Comments 19 Author replies
Show oldest first

jos3moreira 18 January, 2016 @ 2:35 pm   1

I loved every single moment in Rocketbirds 1! That music, awesome jokes and cool gameplay, absolutly amazing.

I can’t wait for Rocketbirds 2.

LordRastan 18 January, 2016 @ 2:38 pm   2

Greetings from spain! I played your game on vita thanks to IGC plus games. Smart move btw, Even considering that I’m getting bored of sidescrollers (come on people, dont you have any other ideas on vita?) the truth is your game trully captivated me.

The graphics were superb, the gameplay was smooth and challenging, and the music was awesome.

I’m really looking forward for the next installment on the rocketbird series, this time It will be a day-1 buy. I have too much enjoy on the original (both on single player as on coop with my son) to wait for a sale.

Keep the good job pals, you should be proud of such great game!!!

Sian Yue Tan 18 January, 2016 @ 3:36 pm

We lucked out a bit there 🙂 Actually, it is a tilt-er… Hope you’ll like the next installment 🙂

nukualofaperson 18 January, 2016 @ 3:08 pm   3

The game looks good, but that trailer was worthless.

Sian Yue Tan 18 January, 2016 @ 3:40 pm

Glad you liked the way the game looks 🙂 The time spent on the trailer pales in comparison.

Yes finaly ! The first one was one of my favorite vita game

theo_andravida 18 January, 2016 @ 3:36 pm   5

Great game , i enjoyed the first one. But it lacks replayability, it becomes boring after you are finished with the trophies. Something that doesnt justify the money ill spent for it. Ill probably wont be buying this. Add something to keep it interesting and playable in daily basis.

Sian Yue Tan 18 January, 2016 @ 3:44 pm

Well we do have that 1-4 player online/offline Rescue Mode, which is a full blown meta-collection game, with fully customizable characters and lots of weapons to pick up and collect – completing missions in procedurally generated locations. And with a PvP Dojo in there.

ummagummachild 18 January, 2016 @ 3:36 pm   6

Many congratulations to the devs for a well deserved sequal. Unlike so many dev esp big studios which happened to ditch vita after their first game, you guys still support vita. Many thnx

Loved the first game but no matchmaking for coop made it really hard to get that platinum! Got it in the end though.
Are there online trophies for this game?

Sian Yue Tan 18 January, 2016 @ 4:14 pm

Rocketbirds 2 has matchmaking in online Rescue Mode, so it should be easier to connect. It also sports drop-in/drop-out, so you’ll not need to wait.

That’s great news! Looking forward to blasting my way through the game!

Aces73High 18 January, 2016 @ 4:15 pm   8

As someone who really enjoyed the first game, I’ve been looking forward to this sequel for aaaaages! Loved the OST, too! Can’t wait :0)

counterUAVbaby 18 January, 2016 @ 4:21 pm   9

What a big shame to just ditch the PS3! 🙁

Sian Yue Tan 18 January, 2016 @ 4:36 pm

We really didn’t want to just ditch it, it was a hard call to make! PS3’s architecture’s just too different from the PS4 / PS Vita unfortunately.

balloch010 18 January, 2016 @ 5:07 pm   10

Can you update ps4 3.15 wrong

Sian Yue Tan 18 January, 2016 @ 5:26 pm

You mean the Youtube video title description? I’m asking them to replace PS3 with PS Vita.

jos3moreira 18 January, 2016 @ 5:37 pm   11

By the way, how soon is “coming soon”? Q1 2016?

Stupid question, any special retail version for Vita?

About the controls, are they more responsive? I liked the “slow” response in the first one, they were challenging. But i think faster means funnier too in rocketbirds universe 😀

Sian Yue Tan 18 January, 2016 @ 6:00 pm

No special retail version for Vita this time. Controls are hella more responsive… and funnier 🙂

biohazard-VII 18 January, 2016 @ 5:56 pm   12

Is this game easy to get platinum trophy ? I hope it will like the first game

Grey__Ghost67 18 January, 2016 @ 6:23 pm   13

Oh man I can’t wait for this. I’ve been waiting for Rocket Birds 2 to come out for ages! I loooved the first, platinumed it on both PS3 and Vita. I loved the soundtrack the most! Really made the game. New World Revolution rocks!

Sian Yue Tan 18 January, 2016 @ 6:29 pm

Yeah, they rock! They too worked on it for ages, so they’ll be glad to hear you loved the OST on the first one 🙂

Grey__Ghost67 18 January, 2016 @ 6:45 pm   14

Wicked! Great to hear. When I first watched the Independent Games Festival Trailer and heard the music I got pumped as and have been waiting for news since. The music is just so dam awesome, so looking forward to a brand new set of tracks!

Sian Yue Tan 18 January, 2016 @ 6:54 pm

That trailer was made in October 2014 – the game’s audio has gotten another year’s worth of polishing and expansion since then – including the addition of full VO from some great voice actors and a whole bunch of custom tracks by the band 😉

SectionHUN 18 January, 2016 @ 7:51 pm   15

I am going to be honest. When i saw this announcement, i said what is this? Then googled the game, watched only 1 video on YT and i decided to buy the first one. But i can only find the Vita version in the Hungarian Ps Store. Ok, i own a Vita but i think on PS3, this would be a better experience. Or am i wrong? But i’ll definitely buy this for PS4!

Sian Yue Tan 19 January, 2016 @ 1:06 am

Awesome to hear that! The PS Vita version of Rocketbirds 1 has more content than the PS3 version, but let me check what’s up with the PS3 version in the Hungarian store.

SectionHUN 19 January, 2016 @ 12:40 pm

Thanks! I’m keep looking.

Good to see your passion by reciprocating players enthusiasm.

dirtyCAT79 19 January, 2016 @ 7:30 am   17

Yay. So glad to hear this is finally arriving soon.
The first Rocketbirds was a real surprise and very much underrated. I’ve been waiting for this sequel for ages. Can’t wait.

Also say hi to Singapore for me. I just moved away from living there 😀

hey, won’t be buying the game (because I do not really like the genre), but wanted to give you feedback on music. sometimes the decision to buy a game for me ends up whether I like the music, and clearly, your choice of it IS superb!

passanoir 19 January, 2016 @ 1:03 pm   19

One of my absolute fav games on the vita, will pick this one up for sure!! thank you for the Vita option chaps, this is why i love dev’s like you guys…yes you care about us gamers.

passanoir 19 January, 2016 @ 1:04 pm   20

One of my absolute fav games on the vita, will pick this one up for sure!! thank you for the Vita option chaps, this is why i love dev’s like you guys…yes you give a damn about us gamers.

Sian Yue Tan 19 January, 2016 @ 1:45 pm

thanks, we need to hear it! yes we do… really the thing that kept us going for three years.

Alondate31 20 January, 2016 @ 12:49 am   21

Aside from your awesome ne game, you are really cool by replying every single fan comment! Thanks 🙂

OHAD24172222 20 January, 2016 @ 4:15 am   22

That game its the most badass games i ever played on the ps3 i cant wait to buy it on the ps4 i really love everything in this game the characters the music love your work ! I hope its going to be long game i have been waiting for this game !