Posted

Acclaimed crim-sim Prison Architect is coming to PS4 this spring

Double Eleven brings Introversion's PC hit to PlayStation

Hi everyone, my name is Mark Morris and I helped found Introversion Software back in 2001. We’ve made a few games in our time however I’m delighted to say that our biggest accomplishment to date, Prison Architect, is coming to PlayStation 4 through a collaboration with the good people at Double Eleven!

Prison Architect allows you to act as both architect and governor – you control every detail of your prison, from building new cells and facilities to hiring staff and creating reform programs – all while dealing with informants, contraband smuggling, gang warfare, full scale riots and a lot more!

The idea came from a holiday in Alcatraz. My pal Chris Delay went on a tour of the infamous prison and when looking at the mechanisms and intricate systems in place, he was inspired. Prison Architect was born.

#07 - 20140604-0190#08 - Co_Op (5)

Public opinion is divided as to whether prisons are too harsh or not harsh enough, so we wanted to create a game where you could touch on that and explore it for yourself. The idea was to create a game where players had a chance to experience a simulated prison management. Every decision – big and small – is left to the player.

The game began life as a crowdfunded project on PC and five years (and 30-something updates) later we released version 1.0! There was an overwhelming reaction to Prison Architect which made us consider bringing it to PlayStation. The team at Double Eleven approached us with their ideas for how to make the PlayStation 4 Edition and we were really excited about where they wanted to take it.

Most people will start their journey into the world of Prison Architect by playing through the Prison Stories, the game’s main campaign. You’ll start by equipping a small prison with everything it needs and later move to being called up to deal with emergencies at larger.

E3_2015_Mediakit_018

You’ll quickly learn how to cope with blazing infernos, prison wide riots, demolition and construction.

Don’t worry though, you can build an armoury containing tasers, guns and other lethal weaponry to keep order!

If you make it through all that unscathed, the Mayor will be ready to give you the reigns of a brand new prison development where you can build the prison of your dreams.

Now it’s on you to decide whether you build and manage a prison that offers rehabilitation and peaceful coexistence or if you’d rather impose intentional harshness and strip away any notions of well-being and freedom. Be prepared to deal with the consequences!

Once your prison is built, go online with World of Wardens to share your designs with the community. You can also browse and play other Architects’ prisons from around the world!

We’re planning to release Prison Architect on PS4 this spring. Thanks everyone!

#07 - 20140604-0190#08 - Co_Op (5)
Did you enjoy this?

Comments

20 Comments 7 Author replies
Show oldest first
Gareth Wright 20 January, 2016 @ 2:33 pm   1

Hi there,

I’m Gaz, the games Design Manager at Double 11 Ltd in the UK. I’m here to answer your questions on this blog.

Myself and my team are hard at work creating the very best Prison Architect experience for console, working closely with our friends at Introversion (the original creators of Prison Architect).

Please also check out our cool new Prison Architect website http://www.prisonarchitect.double11.com for all the latest news, pics and trailers. We’ll be adding more and more content as we continue to develop Prison Architect. We are really proud of the site and I think it’ll be a great companion to the game.

I hope you are as excited about Prison Architect as we are.

Regards, Gaz

miguel_fabio 20 January, 2016 @ 2:38 pm

First thanks for the time you take to answer questiona.
    Second i m interested in this one, heard only great things about this game.
    And third, hás usual, any chance of a vita version?

Gareth Wright 20 January, 2016 @ 3:06 pm

The working URL for the Prison Architect site is prisonarchitect.double11.com . Sorry my bad 😉

Gaz (Design Manager at Double 11 Ltd) @Gaz_Wright

@moriarty1975
    It is priced 27.99 € on Steam, so I guess 29.99 € is probably what it going to be. Certainly with the pricing info from Gareth Wright.

In my opinion it is worth it, but I really like these types of games (although I did buy it in a Steam-sale to be honest).

Whoops wrong thread

Good luck, hoping for a smoother ride than some other pc-to-console titles we’re still waiting for from others. 🙂

mereaperuminion 20 January, 2016 @ 2:37 pm   2

This makes me incredibly happy, had this game since launch and was amazing to meet some of the developers at Rezzed last year. My laptop can’t handle huge prisons and it drops below 30fps so having it on PS4 is the best thing for me

Cant wait for this to be released!

Gareth Wright 20 January, 2016 @ 2:46 pm

Thanks for the love mereaperuminion. Cool name ;-). I too was a big fan and an original backer of the PC game.

Gaz (Design Manager at Double 11 Ltd) @Gaz_Wright

moriarty1975 20 January, 2016 @ 2:40 pm   3

Price?

Or will we have to check the store ourselves on the day of release & hope for the best?

Gareth Wright 20 January, 2016 @ 2:59 pm

Hi Moriarty

Prison Architect will be priced at $29.99 / £19.99

Gaz (Design Manager at Double 11 Ltd) @Gaz_Wright

moriarty1975 20 January, 2016 @ 3:26 pm

$29.99?

So €29.99??

@moriarty1975

moriarty1975 20 January, 2016 @ 5:02 pm

Think I’ll wait for it to go on sale on PSN.

Wonder why it wasn’t stated in the blog post in the first place…. xD

BlueLou1878 20 January, 2016 @ 2:40 pm   4

What are the chances of it being released on the Vita?

Gareth Wright 20 January, 2016 @ 3:00 pm

While everyone at Double Eleven has mad love for Vita, we are only creating Prison Architect for PS4.

Gaz (Design Manager at Double 11 Ltd) @Gaz_Wright

Nazar_Ops 21 January, 2016 @ 7:50 am

“Mad love for Vita” is it that why you cancelled Nom Nom Galaxy for the Vita? Because you loved the Vita so much?

Looks great.

Gareth Wright 20 January, 2016 @ 3:03 pm

Thanks for the love Turbo 😉

Gaz (Design Manager at Double 11 Ltd) @Gaz_Wright

StevenJamesHyde 20 January, 2016 @ 2:45 pm   6

Looks very interesting. Would something like Theme Hospital be a reasonable comparison to get an idea of what kind of game it is?

assassin2k 20 January, 2016 @ 3:14 pm

That’s what I was going to ask. I loved that game and there wasn’t anything else like it at the time. I’m really interested in this!

While I did not really play Theme Hospital, I think it is as far as I can see.

I did put quite some hours in Prison Architect on PC and it is a building game (like building everything from scratch, from cells to common rooms and workshops) and managing game (everything from food distribution to electricity and water distribution).

There is a story mode (which I recommend starting with as it serves as a tutorial) and a sandbox type mode where you start with limited funds and build a very small prison while constantly managing the prisoners needs (otherwise a riot will start).

I really like the game. It is the type of game where you start playing and before you know it it is 4 in the morning.

Edit: Of course when you start making money in sandbox mode, you can expand your prison after a while.

Gareth Wright 20 January, 2016 @ 3:23 pm

Yes, and some the old Bullfrog titles including Theme Hospital did help to inspire Prison Architect. What we love about Prison Architect is that the aesthetic and characters can be quite charming, but you can be dealing with some gritty scenarios in your prisons, such as death row inmates, punishments, gangs, reform and so forth.
    You also have total control in Prison Architect to build whatever and how ever many prisons you like.

Gaz (Design Manager at Double 11 Ltd) @Gaz_Wright

Gareth Wright 20 January, 2016 @ 3:27 pm

Well said Mr Mette and thanks for the love.

We’ve also added a bunch more ways for console players to ‘play their way’ and choose how to start a new prison, with new Game Preferences and a new Front End.

Gaz (Design Manager at Double 11 Ltd) @Gaz_Wright

HomessaHomem 20 January, 2016 @ 7:12 pm   7

BRING THIS TO MY VITA, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!

Used to love uplink on my pc when that first released, but I haven’t played an introversion game since. So glad this is being ported to ps4, it’s supposed to be rather good. Hopefully the controls work well on ps4 controller and hopefully remote playable on vita.
Lastly I hope it releases before April, with dirt rally, assetto corsa, ratchet & clank and uncharted 4 I’m going to be rather broke/have no time.

Ill wait for a vita crossbuy version.