Street Fighter V story details and free Cinematic Expansion revealed

Explore the Street Fighter mythology through beautifully rendered cut-scenes

Hey everyone! I’ve been itching to tell you about this for the longest time, and now I finally can! We’re happy to reveal the single-player story details for Street Fighter V. There are two main components to the story experience: Character Stories and the Cinematic Story Expansion.

Character Stories

We knew there would be a lot of new players who are jumping into the franchise for the very first time, so we wanted to provide a way for everyone to become familiar with the eclectic personalities of each fighter. Each character has his or her own storyline that provides background information on what drives him or her to fight, and what that fighter’s relationships are to the other characters.

#07 - 20140604-0190#08 - Co_Op (5)

Each story has been illustrated by renowned Japanese illustrator Bengus who worked on a variety of Capcom titles in the past. I think you’ll find his colourful, throwback style fits perfectly with the background tales we want to tell about each character. What answers does Ryu seek in his never-ending journey? What happened to Charlie Nash after his apparent demise in Street Fighter Alpha? Who is Necalli and what does he want? Play the Character Stories to find out all these answers and more! Once you complete all of them you’ll be ready for the next part of the story experience, which is…

Cinematic Story Expansion

For the first time in franchise history, we are creating a cinematic story experience that takes players deep into the Street Fighter action and mythology through beautifully rendered cutscenes. The Story Expansion will be available to all players as a free content update, releasing in June 2016. Chronologically in the Street Fighter storyline, it takes place between the events of Street Fighter IV and Street Fighter III, and fully explains everything that transpired in that electrifying time period.

If you got goosebumps from watching our latest story trailer, know that you are definitely not alone. M. Bison and Shadaloo will be a main focus of the story… and I can’t say much more than that right now. We’ll have more details to share about this free update in the coming months, so stay tuned!

Finally, as a big thank you to all the fans who have supported us throughout the year, we are holding one final beta starting 30th January at 08.01am GMT and ending 1st January at 3.00am GMT. If you have been on the fence about getting the game, this will be your last chance to try it out before release so be sure to pre-order for beta access, as well as exclusive costumes! I mean, just look at this guy!

That’s all for now. Until next time!

Did you enjoy this?

25 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first
jamie-sixtyfour 25 January, 2016 @ 4:02 pm   1

I read this article whilst listening to Guile’s theme, because it goes with everything.

I know I am in the minority but for me the main draw in fighting games is the story mode because I am not super into mastering them neither I have a good Internet speed to practice online.
So this great news thanks for sharing.

AyanamiReign 25 January, 2016 @ 5:52 pm   3

“pre-order for beta access, as well as exclusive costumes!”
Where do we preorder from for each of the costumes? Does the UK actually get all 4 of them?

Aenima_pt 25 January, 2016 @ 6:56 pm

Would like to know the same. Here in Portugal i cant find any store that has the costumes. Only place to get a costume is the PS Store. So where we can get the other 3?

RodrigoSharingan 25 January, 2016 @ 11:21 pm

The answer is simple. “Europe”

They only care about US and Japan, when it comes to this type of stuff. Also, 90% sure that no one from the official team will not answer your question. So yeah..

Bengus is god

Story mode is great of course, but why not just release the game complete in the Summer?

Carnivius_Prime 25 January, 2016 @ 11:40 pm

Cos it’s not essential to the gameplay and a lot of us just really want to play the game now. I was a beta tester and I’m just wanting to play the game again. So I’m happy to have the core game in February to battle my friends on and then play this story mode in June. It’s not the same as botching a game by releasing it early full of bugs. The story mode here is an extra on what is already a fairly complete feeling fighting game. Gives something else to look forward to while we practice the core game too.

Mojo__Man 26 January, 2016 @ 12:42 am

What a strange notion though.

Shall we start releasing other games early now when a major part of it is unfinished?

It really depends on the type of game. It obviously wouldn’t make sense for a story driven rpg or something, but for a fighting game where the gameplay itself is the defining aspect it doesn’t matter if the story comes later. I do enjoy the story, but it’s the gameplay, the pvp, the competition that I buy fighting games for and spend thousands of hours on. Waiting an extra 6 months to play it just for a story that i’ll complete in a few hours would be awful.

<3 Ryu is hotter than a baked potato <3

Yeah I have nothing to say other than to point out how hot Ryu is!!!

Alondate31 25 January, 2016 @ 9:01 pm   7

Releasing unfinished games are becoming a trend now, huh?

I’m honestly delighted they decided to do it this way. They had 3 options-

Option A) Release the full game Feb with a rushed story mode
    Option B) Delay the release til the summer with a complete story mode
    Option C) Release the game Feb and release story mode later as a free update

I’d pick option C every time. I wish more games would do this. We get to play the game early AND we get a story mode. Best of both worlds.

I like it. I will wait for story mode. By the time it comes out it won’t be a new game anymore and the retail will be priced accordingly. Win win

zalwelgoedgaan 25 January, 2016 @ 9:24 pm   8

Bengus is capable of making amazing artwork that fans can admire for decades. I’d like to believe these are just sketches…

“starting 30th January at 08.01am GMT and ending 1st January at 3.00am GMT”

Damn only -a month to play :((((((((

kappa ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

B_enjamin411 25 January, 2016 @ 10:33 pm   10

Will the MadCatz TE FightStick be compatible with Street Fighter V?

The ps3 sticks you mean? No one knows for sure yet. Capcom are being very quiet about it because they don’t want to interfere with the the sales of the new ps4 madcatz sticks. It could go eitherw way at this point. And if they aren’t supported you could always pick up a Brooks Super Converter if you don’t mind an extra frame of lag.

B_enjamin411 26 January, 2016 @ 7:40 am

Thanks SygBoss. Yeah I have the ps3 stick, and wasn’t aware of the converter, but will look in to it.

This is a combat tournament game, could have sorted issues with EX for full roaster possibility. And made a anime streetfighter series or film separate . it not a story driven game witch makes it fictional sport so we play the game not the story. The time should be spent on More characters and stages. Originally there was a stage for each character

Not even use art style from in game, degraded art.? Pointless. Such a waste of time

Streetfighter 3 was a absolute joke now you’re trying to redeem it witch is impossible,(mabe a total remake could it) I see it in some of the art work like the title. Let’s hope inspector gadget and Frank Spencer aren’t coming to streetfighter 5. We should Learn from mistakes and keep it real. Cody instead of joe? It Cooking time? Hoping on one leg? And stupid costume options streetfighter 4?. All this aside can’t wait for streetfighter 5

Streetfighter world tournament. 012345678910 and on and on. Why? simply streetfighter world tournament.