Keiichiro Toyama discusses bringing Gravity Rush to PS4 in new video

Take a closer look at Kat’s impending return to action

As anyone fortunate enough to have played Gravity Rush when it originally launched on PS Vita back in 2012 should be aware, Japan Studio’s colourful open-world adventure stands out as one of the most refreshing action games of recent years. And if you missed it? Well, your time has come – next week, on 5th February, Gravity Rush Remastered swoops gracefully onto PS4.

In anticipation’s of Kat’s return to action, we recently sat down with creator Keiichiro Toyama at Japan Studio’s Tokyo HQ to find out why his team decided to bring the game to PS4, how it’s been enhanced in the process, and what newcomers can expect from the mysterious floating city of Hekseville. Take a look at the video below for more.

For the digitally-inclined, Gravity Rush Remastered is available for pre-order on PlayStation Store now. Alternatively, a physical edition will also be on sale from your preferred retailer – take a look at the box art below.

E3_2015_Mediakit_018

36 Comments
0 Author replies
jason-bridges 28 January, 2016 @ 17:36

So excited for this one, it was the game that I nearly bought a vita for.

Will be lovely to play on the ps4 looks beautiful and good fun :D

I really want to try this again. I couldn’t get into it on Vita as it gave me awful motion sickness and I was really bummed out by that. Hoping I’ll be able to manage on PS4.

LittleHellXIII 28 January, 2016 @ 18:42

I’ve pre-ordered already – looking forward to playing this on a big screen!

Looks great, it get dedicated trophy hunters (assuming it features a separate trophy list) and the odd casual buyer, but then I’d seriously expect to see this being a ps+ pick a few months after. Being 4 year old its likely to have been played by the majority of those interested already. Also the vita version was a long stay title with ps+.

SatoshiOokami 29 January, 2016 @ 09:10
4.1

Yea, it has a separate trophy list.
But it also allows you to play DLC chapters provided you did not purchase them before.
So I wouldn’t say it’s only directed at trophy hunters :D

SatoshiOokami 28 January, 2016 @ 18:53

To wider audience, huh…
Okay, that explains Remaster edition, but definitely not the decision to make GR2 PS4-only.
Even Japanese developers should see that these types of games aren’t gonna be more successful on PS4 than on Vita… Especially considering Japan doesn’t seem to be that keen on PS4.
Not to mention all the people who will boycott it precisely because it’s not on Vita.

They don’t care about Vita fanbase. It’s SONY not Nintendo.

Those naive people who bought Vita already gave them money, time to try encourage people to buy PS4.

jason-bridges 28 January, 2016 @ 19:42
5.2

Japan loves ps4 its selling like hot cakes there

@jason-bridges
I wouldn’t really say that it is selling like hot cakes.

It’s not selling bad! Far from it.

But most of times I would say that it is comparable to the ammount of sold units of PS Vita (which is now 5 years old console in Japan). Again, not saying that it’s not selling.

December 27
PSV (66,069) > PS4 (65,427)

Jan 03
PS4 (65,427) > PSV ( 63,811)

JAN 10
PS4(36,559)> PSV (31,338)

Jan 17
PS4 (25,592) > PSV (18,202)

And even with slightly higher number of PS4 units sold, most of times those games released on both PS4/PSV sell better on Vita.

Far cry from number of sold 3DS units. If you would say that 3DS is selling like a hot cake, than I would sadly agree.

So yeah… I can see why SONY would want to do that, though it’s not something I can applaud.

Show full comment

@jason-bridges
I wouldn’t really say that it is selling like hot cakes.

It’s not selling bad! Far from it.

December 27
PSV (66,069) > PS4 (65,427)

Jan 03
PS4 (65,427) > PSV ( 63,811)

JAN 10
PS4(36,559)> PSV (31,338)

Jan 17
PS4 (25,592) > PSV (18,202)

Show more replies

The decision of not bringing it to Vita despite that we all were already teased by Gravity Rush 2 trailer for Vita is completley not acceptable. If you really wanted it to reach broader audience you could release it on both PS4/PSV just to be fair to everyone who bought first part for Vita.

You can forget about me ever buying PS VR and despite that I was supposed to be already owner of PS4… because of everything you are doing with Vita I decided to postpone it for another year. Good job SONY!

Thank you SONY for spitting on all people who bought Vita. Thank you very much! I wish you guys as big success as Tearaway Unfolded had.

Embarassingly petulant a post though this is, it’s worth pointing out that GR2’s initial announcement never mentioned Vita at all.

6.2

How embarrassing.

@Quinlank
This is true.

Though that teaser apart from having few arts had also gameplay material, and we saw exactly the same engine that was used in first part.

Not to mention it was developed for Vita. After all Toyama-san himself on his twitter was talking about “big change” and we “will know why it took so much time after we see it” or sometihng along the lines.

I guess higher ups just gave them “prikaz” abandon Vita and focus on PS4.

Show more replies

I’m so torn with this. Suck they did this, so Vita lost another exclusive title. But on the other hand it also means more people get to play this wonderful game. I’m still gonna buy it later down the road to replay it.

Also, it says Pre-orders on PSN is live, but I can’t seem to find it. The link finds nothing either.

Okay.. Link doesn’t work. But if you search on the store it works. Even digital is to overpriced. Shame.

Never had a chance to play this on Vita. So this is one Remaster im getting for sure. Also good work from Bluepoint on the Remaster.

zalwelgoedgaan 28 January, 2016 @ 21:40

I should finish this game one of these days.

Very excited to play this again, and I’m glad more people will get to experience it than with the Vita.

Super excited for this! Easily a day one purchase.

warensembler83 29 January, 2016 @ 09:26

I’m so hyped for this. I finished the game on the Vita and loved every minute. I’ll play it on PS4 now to see what I should expect from 2 now that the IP has abandoned Vita.

ummagummachild 29 January, 2016 @ 09:55

This was one of the first games i played on vita and reading bout it make me nostalgic. Wish i cud experience GR2 on vita too. Superb game but sony, you r not doin the right thing by not releasing GR2 on vita.

Im so happy they’re not releasing GR2 for Vita. If they made it for Vita they would be limited by its ageing hardware. Hopefully people who are angry about it not being available on Vita will get over their sense of entitlement.

AlucardTepes_DE 29 January, 2016 @ 15:47
14.1

Well it hurts the vita, but what hurts more the vita is that 89% of the games don’t reach the West…

14.2

Good point about the ageing hardware. It’s too bad for the Vita but I already consider that guy dead. And if I have to choose between a small Vita screen and my 52 inch Bravia, the choice is easy. And who knows, in this age of remasters, that we won’t see it on Vita at some point afterall..

I still angry to the developpers because GR2 is PS4 exclusive. This game is best for the vita, the feeling of turning the controller is not the same as turning the vita (with the screen). I didn’t have PS4 and didn’t want to buy one in the near future. Maybe I never play with the second one.
Also HD and UHD for evrerything is a new frenzy what will be replaced with something new in the future.

AlucardTepes_DE 29 January, 2016 @ 15:46
15.1

Know ur feels bro.
(Excluding that I have a ps4)

While playing the Vita version I dreamed about playing it on a big screen in 3D and getting vertigo for real. But I guess 3D is treated the same way as the Vita now?

As usual digital costs more than retail

One of those early “WOW” games that seemed to herald an awesome future for the vita….sigh

18.1

True dat.. Would’ve been awesome to see an exclusive GTA on there, for one..

AlucardTepes_DE 29 January, 2016 @ 15:45

PLease don’t hurt vita anymore… bullies!

I was slightly disappointed to hear Gravity Rush 2 was dropping the vita but if it means the series can continue it’s a trade I’m more than willing to take. Looking forward to the remaster and Gravity Rush 2.

infernalmonkey1 02 February, 2016 @ 12:02

Just like Tearaway, this is going to sell like absolute garbage on PS4. It’ll be great.

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history