Posted

PS Plus ‘Vote to Play’ returns: Action Henk! vs Assault Android Cactus vs Broforce

Polls open on 9th February – which game will you choose?

By popular demand, Vote to Play is back on 9th February, and we’re pleased to share three great PS4 games for you to vote on. The game with the most votes will be added to the March monthly games line-up for PlayStation Plus members. On the ballot for your vote, we have Action Henk!, Assault Android Cactus and Broforce.

Action Henk! is the kind of game that you want to play with friends, where after each race you find yourself almost uncontrollably saying, “one more.”

Action Henk

Publisher Curve Digital and developer RageSquid have put together a light-hearted racer where you run, jump, and, yes, butt-slide your way through a host of toy room environments with past-their-prime action figures. It’s a game where timing and momentum are key as you attempt to outdo your opponents as well as your own past performance.

The PS Plus team loves a great online experience, and Action Henk! provides the kind of quick, fun, and addictive gameplay that we think you’ll enjoy. And come on, how can you not love a game with the tagline “Butt-slide to victory?”

Assault Android Cactus is already an award-winning twin stick shooter whose frenetic gameplay is perfect for the couch co-op experience. While the mechanics of the twin stick shooter will be familiar to many, the developer, Witch Beam, have created a unique battery mechanic (in lieu of lives), providing a fresh experience that really helps Assault Android Cactus stand out from the crowd.

AAC

If you’re looking for a more casual pick-up-and-play, fun experience or a challenging path towards mastery, there’s a lot to like about this game. The game also supports Shareplay, a “virtual couch” that allows you to invite a friend to join your game for up to one hour at a time, creating an online local co-op experience.

Witch Beam designer Sanatana Mishra told me that the goal with Assault Android Cactus was to make a game that he and the rest of the team wanted to play. Well, they’ve certainly succeeded in making a game the PlayStation Plus team wants to play… again… and again.

Broforce is an action adventure game that brings to life your memories (or imaginations for the younger set) of ’80s action heroes and their adventures. While we didn’t know it at the time, this is the game that we always wanted as we cheered those action heroes on to victory.

Publisher Devolver and developer Free Lives have teamed up to deliver what is part irreverent spoof and part loving homage to what are now classic movies and classic games. With its online co-op experience, the Plus team firmly believes you’ll enjoy connecting with friends to bring your own brand of shock and awe to the opposing forces.

Broforce

And really, behind the over-the-top presentation, there’s a really great game here well deserving of the heaps of praise that it has received.

The thread that brings these three games together: fun titles that can connect the Plus community to play together with friends. For me, personally, one of the sweet spots in game design is a title that provides casual fun for almost anyone who picks up the controller, while providing a depth of mastery for those who want to push the game’s mechanics to their limits. We hope that you’ll enjoy learning about each game and the developers behind them before casting your vote.

Starting 9th February, if you’re a PlayStation Plus member and you want to cast your vote, simply log on to PS4 with your PSN account and access Vote to Play under the dedicated PlayStation Plus section on the top left corner of your PS4 home screen.

You can also go to What’s New or visit the PlayStation Plus section of the PlayStation Store, where you’ll find details for Vote to Play.

We look forward to seeing your votes!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

172 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

[DELETED] All 3 hold no interest really but action henk seems best bet

blade1003605 1 February, 2016 @ 4:39 pm   2

My voice for Assault Android Cactus.

Easy win for Broforce?

Martas668 1 February, 2016 @ 5:47 pm

I hope so, I would like to play it with friend 🙂
    Looks like nice coop game ! 🙂

Steve_Of_The_O 1 February, 2016 @ 7:56 pm

Was about to vote for Broforce. But looking at the screen shots full screen on my main tv nearly made my eyes bleed.

Would’ve been all over it if they didn’t sneakily cancel the launch

Steve_Of_The_O 1 February, 2016 @ 7:58 pm

*Vita launch.

Hope so!! \m/

Action Henk!

smell_ya_l8r 1 February, 2016 @ 4:50 pm   5

Assault Android Cactus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’ve been waiting for this for months and couldn’t find a release date.

God I hope it wins!

No thanks. All three isn’t interesting for me
Send me back in time, where we have Mass Effect, Deus Ex, Dragon’s Dogma, Dragon’s Crown, Gravity Rush…

Rob_Nomad 1 February, 2016 @ 5:57 pm

funny thing is i’m pretty sure we already got all the games in your list in PSplus (mass effect 2 and 3 but not 1)

Rob_Nomad 1 February, 2016 @ 6:02 pm

my bad, i misread your comment!

Twinkling82 1 February, 2016 @ 10:33 pm

Actually, we’re getting Grid Autosport tomorrow – and Helldivers has also gotten a lot of promotion, so I guess it’s a pretty decent and big game too.

All 3 games have already been released on the PC.
Amount of owners on Steam:
1. Broforce 538k
2. Assault Android Cactus 23k
3. Action Henk 15k

Just based on popularity, this will be a very predetermined battle. If you can consider that a vote at all.
Which is a shame, as Assault Android Cactus would deserve a chance.

CurtChapman 1 February, 2016 @ 4:52 pm   8

A difficult choice! They all look rather good. Have been waiting for bro force for a while but im still working through the time force ps+ offering and it looks so damn similar.. so a toss up between Assault Android Cactus and Action Henk

Action Henk is best!

spacedelete2 1 February, 2016 @ 5:01 pm   10

my PS Plus expired last month and i feel relieved i don’t have to deal with these shovelware indie games anymore. thanks for making me feel like i did the right thing with these awful choices. no longer do i have to add shovelware indies that were clogging up my download list any longer.

Carnivius_Prime 1 February, 2016 @ 5:13 pm

Unless you’ve played something like Elf Bowling on the GBA you don’t know what shovelware actually is. All three of these games look to have had a lot of effort and skill put into producing them and just cos they aren’t your type of thing they don’t deserve your insults and offensive comments.

But you still come to posts about a service you hated so that we have to “deal with” your comments.

I hope nothing even slightly bad ever happens to you my friend, I really don’t think you’d be able to deal with it.

Yet here’s me thinking this month is an embarrassment of riches. Bro Force alone looks incredible, and if that’s made available, I’ll probably buy Assault Android Cactus as well. I love these indie games, I’ll take many of them over the yearly recycled big budget stuff.

Hahaha this is probably the most entitled thing I’ve read on here, and that is saying something…! Thank you for giving me a good laugh, buddy. I love how you still feel like it is your duty to comment on something that you always hated, even though it no longer affects you. I am also relieved that your plus subscription has expired – that way I won’t meet you online, and I won’t “have to deal with” you.

Where can I vote for Killzone: Shadow Fall or Knack. Japan got Toukiden Kiwami last month.

enightmare69 1 February, 2016 @ 6:18 pm

Do you expect sony to care about us in Europe? We pay higher prices than the rest of the world and get poorer deals.

MaxDiehard 1 February, 2016 @ 7:25 pm

Vote to play is for games that aren’t yet on the system.

Flipside666 2 February, 2016 @ 8:10 pm

Dude knack was pure trash, I’d hate that in the line up!

THE-PLASTICA-MAN 1 February, 2016 @ 5:05 pm   12

Can we vote on PC or using the PS App?

Little_Ifrit 1 February, 2016 @ 5:24 pm   13

Action Henk seems like the best of a bad bunch.

dividsmythe 1 February, 2016 @ 5:33 pm   14

Action Henk! For me. AAC is not my type of game but I’d give Broforce a go.

Please add a 4th option that says ‘I don’t care for any of these crap games.’ Because I do not care. Maybe you can give me a discount on my ps plus abo.

totaldirkness 1 February, 2016 @ 5:39 pm

*sigh*
    No, just no.

frank_littleff 1 February, 2016 @ 5:40 pm

Cancel it mate. I’m sure it will bring Sony crashing to its knees so your protest will be awesome.

This option is already there. It is called ‘not voting’ but I suppose it’s harder to get attention by just following common sense.

Boomtonic 1 February, 2016 @ 5:39 pm   16

My vote goes to Action Henk. None of these games Vita cross buy?

morrkon1337 1 February, 2016 @ 5:40 pm   17

Action Henk is my vote!

Huono_peleis 1 February, 2016 @ 5:40 pm   18

So our votes are based on a 5 seconds of gameplay video? This is Sony!

I would say anything except Broforce. I think we’ve had enought 2D retro platformers already and there is a topdown shooter this month so I think I vote for that game where this thing was running on a rail. Can’t remember the title but there was this thing going on a rail in 3D for 1,5 seconds and it looked like something made this millenium.

Just wow. When was the last time Sony did something right? It’s been a while.

As a gamer and therefore modern media consumer, surely you’re familiar with the concept of a “teaser”? The voting doesn’t open until 9th February, so this is just a preliminary news story – heads-up if you will. Is it naive to assume that you have the capacity to do a bit of research on the 3 games in the 8 days between the OP being posted and the vote starting? Or do you want everything spoon-fed to you?

AeneaZiggo 4 February, 2016 @ 7:53 am

Ever heard of Google? Might help you out!

I watched some videos of all 3 games after the teaser from Sony, I would love Action Henk, wouldn’t mind that Android twin stick shooter either. Broforce, nah, no thanks…

These are all like terrible mobile phone games. Really dissatisfied with all Ps4 content since day 1. The ps3 games on PlayStation plus were excellent. Such a shame

Martas668 1 February, 2016 @ 5:57 pm

Nobody forced you to buy and play on PS4. If you are not happy with PS+ games, just buy games that you want.

I am happy with PS4 (I also have PS3, PS Vita and high end PC)

barret232hxc 2 February, 2016 @ 6:16 pm

the ps3 plus games were all old games that I already bought anyways. A good majority of the games for ps4 have been new games that weren’t previously available. I think one of the best free games was rocket league and hell divers

My vote is Assault Android Cactus I think it’s cute game ^-^

If I’d have known I’d be spoon fed SNES and Mega Drive quality games 20 years in the future, I would have probably kept my 16-Bit consoles and not bothered with ‘next gen’ way back when.

I’m sure these easy to make cheap titles are stimulating for some, but we purchased a powerful console to play impressive and visually stunning games with substance and quality but if you want games like this,play them on your tablet. Disappointing, like most months. Poor effort.

udontneed2know26 1 February, 2016 @ 6:28 pm

Yeah because games like GTAV, Witcher 3, MGSV, The Last of Us, Infamous, DriveClub, Until Dawn, Etc. Don’t exist suddenly right?

I think Sony should start handing out a bib with the PS4 to accommodate on the little babies

Yeah we get those titles, but they’re hardly in abundance. The console is two years old and has probably sub 20 AAA standard titles. Let’s exclude the games that are PS3 able and ports, that’s 3 of the 7 titles you’re listing, your argument doesn’t hold much tract in terms of the capable use of hardware. Which is mediocre at best. Sorry an opinion upsets you, would you like a bib?

l-Star-ScreaM-I 1 February, 2016 @ 9:01 pm

Finally i read a comment having same thoughts. Well for mostly.
    Since few years it’s popular having block games 16 bit games etc. Like you i think the same about some others, maybe they have fun with it. But i don’t get it. We buy a PS4 a powerful console to see better graphics, better visuals. Devs keep making these cheap junks. Too oldskool man!

But PS + is not dissapointing me. Sometimes im never interested in the PLUS games. Sometimes i do. This is just the luck you must have. Some people complain about having bad months. C’mon we pay money for PS plus yeah! We have great PS4 servers and cloud save. I see the PLUS games as an extra. I don’t buy INDIE games, sometimes i come in touch with great indie games thanks to PLUS.

My vote is for Action Henk 😀

If it wasn’t PLUS for march i wouldn’t give money for this game. I buy only AAA titles.

l-Star-ScreaM-I 1 February, 2016 @ 9:07 pm

For the people who can’t stop complaining! Everytime i read news articles i see the same people complaining over and over about the free games.

Sony can’t read minds of every single gamer. Be satisfied with what u get! Not interested? Maybe better luck next time!

One gamer loves AAA titles the other one indies. Who knows. Millions of players doesn’t complain! Who are you to keep complaining?

udontneed2know26 1 February, 2016 @ 9:25 pm

You guys have warped AAA so bad it’s hard to really know what you mean when you say it. Is it a 3D game? A game with a high budget? A game by a major developer? What exactly?

I could make of 50+ AAA games but lord knows people would just come back and yammer about such and such game not being what they define as AAA. So not even worth the effort.

No, you did. You bought a console for impressive and visually stunning games with substance and quality. I just bought it to play fun games.

Honestly, I don’t get why you guys are defending Sony so hard with this crap. The PS4 has been released for over 2 years now I believe and it seems like all they are doing is allowing PS+ users to rent old school type games.

They forced everyone to need PS+ just to game online with friends and then drop the quality of games they release every month. PS3 users did not have this problem. They were allowed to play online for free and if they wanted to rent games with PS+ they paid for it.

Most of these games that are being released are games I feel that should be available on the Vita.

What is annoying when reading these comments is the amount of people basically telling people who aren’t happy with what they’re paying for to shut up and stop paying, as if it’s that simple. YOU NEED PS+ FOR ONLINE PLAY. Something that use to be free, so people want quality games like what they use to give away. Also, the sarcastic idiots like talking about The Witcher 3 and CoD: BO3 and GTA5, no one said that they should release new games. Again, the PS4 has been out for years, it has old games now.

Assault Android Cactus

yoloswag-jesse 1 February, 2016 @ 5:49 pm   23

ACTION HENK ACTION HENK ACTION HENK

Action henk! for me… Has most to offer and remainds me of doritos crash course…

Landoykin 1 February, 2016 @ 5:54 pm   25

Broforce!!!

CluckNuggets 1 February, 2016 @ 5:56 pm   26

Last time I voted, I voted for Armello and then the game from Ubisoft won. Then I bought Armello on PS4 and then Armello came out on Steam a couple of days later for a much cheaper price and I felt ripped off. Don’t buy games kids.

well, I bought it day1, and there were like total of 3 people in queues for almost a week. because when people left from unfull lobby, they always returned to the same one. after that the game picked up, and was fully satisfied with it. it is not a bad strategy to put average premature leader, like Grow Home and Broforce, and niche games like Armello or Action Henk which won’t get voted, but you would be hyped enough to make a day1 purchase…

mappiahun 1 February, 2016 @ 5:57 pm   27

Is there actually people that play this crap coz if I want to play old looking games I can just use SNES

killerbe22033 1 February, 2016 @ 5:59 pm   28

GTA 5 and call of dutty black ops 3

RodrigoSharingan 1 February, 2016 @ 6:03 pm   29

Can we have a “i dont want any of this and just want PS+ to go back to its glory days” or “give us free online play instead of a unjustified paywall” option?

4 the players…?

spacedelete2 1 February, 2016 @ 6:20 pm

PS3 was 4 the players. PS4 is just a cash grab from a greedy money deprived company.

I can’t play online

enightmare69 1 February, 2016 @ 6:16 pm

Yes. But Sony assumes everyone can.. It really annoyed me when I lived out in Italy in the countryside and took my PlayStation into the office to download the latest games to then take my PlayStation home to play because of the poor internet in my area. We don’t all live with fibre connections. And I certainly am not paying for fibre for these horrible games.

Killerattax 1 February, 2016 @ 6:03 pm   31

It’s so sad to see so many people complain because they didn’t get to choose between Fallout 4, Call of Duty III and Witcher 3. And indies are trash anyway right?

Do yourself a favor and watch for example the Giant Bomb Quick Look of Assault Android Cactus. The game looks awesome, created with painstakingly detail and effort over multiple years, runs at 60 fps and seems like one of the best coop games ever made. I never heard of the game before and after watching this short impression I need to have it on my PS4!

And the other games seem great as well. But no, everybody has to complain because they don’t get the hottest triple-A titel for free.

enightmare69 1 February, 2016 @ 6:14 pm

We used to get former AAA titles like mass effect, nobody expects the latest AAA games with their ps+ subscription! But some older games that were AAA would be far more preferable than these indie games. I have better games on my PS2 than these offerings.

CluckNuggets 1 February, 2016 @ 6:22 pm

I don’t play co-op though. I don’t play online either. I’m paying for these games just like I do the Humble Monthly Bundle.

Huono_peleis 1 February, 2016 @ 6:32 pm

People are just upset because they bought a next-gen console and ended up playing past-gen (past past past gen) games. It’s that simple and solution to that isn’t people like you telling them how cool 8-bit is in 60 fps.

ianmullinger 1 February, 2016 @ 6:04 pm   32

Seen Broforce in action at PlayExpo. Good stuff

My voice Action Henk.

CoolRichy007UK 1 February, 2016 @ 6:07 pm   34

Im gonna vote 4 action henk 100000000000000000 times its gonna win anyway other 2 games aint good and are boring

OldHorn666 1 February, 2016 @ 6:09 pm   35

I would have voted for all three but then I remembered I sold my Nintendo 8-bit 25 years ago.

enightmare69 1 February, 2016 @ 6:10 pm   36

What utter drivel… I have higher quality games on my Amiga A600 than these poor excuses for games. Why people defend this I have no idea.. We used to get a former AAA title and two or three indie games every couple of months with our PS+ subscription and now we get this? I have all four PlayStation’s still and if this is what I am paying my PS+ subscription for then I’d be better off just grabbing better and cheaper games on steam and selling my PlayStation’s.

KHALED-H-F-D- 1 February, 2016 @ 6:10 pm   37

Sounds good

GPXK-gamer 1 February, 2016 @ 6:11 pm   38

No question, broforce wins a victory

Ancarar2003 1 February, 2016 @ 6:13 pm   39

Action Henk! Please!!!!!!!!!!

GreekGamerGR003 1 February, 2016 @ 6:23 pm   40

Assault Android Cactus!!!

udontneed2know26 1 February, 2016 @ 6:24 pm   41

Tough choice here between BroForce and Assault Android Cactus. When I first saw AAC on there I immediately jumped to it. Been hyped for that gsme for a long time. But then I saw BroForce as well and have been hyped for that also!

Question is, do I want the Contra type game or the Twin Stick shooter?

Hmmmmmmmmm..

I’m going to go with Assault Android Cactus

There are a lot more twin sticks already on psn so i am going fro contra type.

SteeledSPYKE_D 1 February, 2016 @ 6:27 pm   42

I vote Broforce.

When are the free games going to get better theres not been any proper games but indie since metal gear solid please give us a better selection, im not asking for a new AAA title but something worth a subcription fee.

AlucardTepes_DE 1 February, 2016 @ 8:21 pm

Actually the FileCloud system for saved data, discounts and Online play are more then worth a lame 4€ month.
    Games are just bonus ~

udontneed2know26 1 February, 2016 @ 6:32 pm   43

Funny thing is people like the toddlers above cried during the month Rocket League came out. It ended up being one of, if not the, best sports games ever made.

Those kids are probably still crying about it and haven’t even tried the game and instead pouting in the corner

Vytautas20 1 February, 2016 @ 6:33 pm   44

Assault Android Cactus, and this one should be released on Vita too

I thought by now we might be getting an A grade game
… But this one looks ok henk

Hard to decide which game is the smallest disappointment…
Maybe Assault Android Cactus,

counterUAVbaby 1 February, 2016 @ 6:47 pm   47

They better shoot themselves with bows on their knees, if they keep up this pace!

iamdark1988 1 February, 2016 @ 6:51 pm   48

I’m hoping for Action Henk! Not a fan of over the top shooters or online co-op.

yousef_kanjee 1 February, 2016 @ 6:57 pm   49