Hi my name is Paul Coleman. I’m the Chief Games Designer on DiRT Rally and I’m also a rally co driver when I’m not making games. DiRT Rally is a labour of love for me and the development team and our passionate community has been very vocal in their requests for us to release the game on PlayStation 4. So I’m incredibly excited that we’re bringing DiRT Rally to PS4 in April and you can all start setting those leaderboard topping stage times. Sony has made a big push to target core players on PS4 and that’s exactly what we have done with DiRT Rally. I hope you enjoy it.
Here are 10 things you probably didn’t know about DiRT Rally:
- We record the co driver calls live in a D-Box motion seat while the stage is being driven. This maximises the sense of speed and impact in the co driver’s voice. We even use a Stilo crash helmet and intercom system to make sure that the recording sounds as authentic as possible.
- Our level design team have had their fair share of adventures while away on their research trips. They’ve trodden on tarantula nests, been bitten by hornets and have even been chased by angry Finnish farmers brandishing pitchforks.
- Our vehicle artists go into so much detail when they are modelling the vehicle interiors that they even capture the hand and finger prints that are left by the vehicle owners.
- We have a selection of special Daily Events that reference things we teased on social media prior to launch. Keep an eye out for #Mk2Mondays, #ThatCar and #ThrowbackThursday events.
- The WWGFD? Trophy is actually a reference to one of our Community Members called Greg Flinchbaugh. When we were in the early stages of developing DiRT Rally Greg posted an awesome response when we asked “What do you like best about rally?” From that point onwards we always asked ourselves – What would Greg Flinchbaugh do?
- Watch out for local wildlife crossing the road on some stages. You can see a fox in Wales, a squirrel in Finland and a moose in Sweden.
- Neil Cole who does the voice over for the Rallycross spotter is actually one of the presenters of the FIA World Rallycross broadcast. He spends most of the race weekend in the spotters tower doing post race interviews.
- The driver model in the game is actually Jon Tucker who worked with us as our vehicle handling consultant during the development of DiRT Rally. The co driver model is based on me because I also voice the co driver calls in game.
- One of the working titles for DiRT Rally was DiRT Pulse.
- If you look closely you’ll find a queue for one of the toilets in the Sweet Lamb Fan Zone in Wales. We do love queuing in Britain!
DiRT Rally arrives on PS4 on 5th April. Stay tuned for more information as launch approaches.