Posted

Hitman on PS4: Beta and story details revealed

Place your pre-order now to ensure access to the trial run

There is a world beyond yours, where economics and luxury collide with violence and power. Welcome to a world of assassination, a dangerous place of hidden violence where secret deals and bloody murder decides who holds power. It is a world where agencies such as the ICA work in the shadows to bring balance to the power struggle.

The world of assassination is an expression of the ongoing game world we have built over the last 15 years at Io-Interactive, since the release of the very first Hitman game. It is the setting for past, present and future Hitman games.

Episodic story-telling and narrative structure

As you have read about in our previous blog post, Hitman will launch on 11th March 2016 as a truly episodic game experience with a major live component. The episodic nature of Hitman allows us to craft both individual stories centred on Agent 47’s targets as well as longer season stories involving 47, Diana Burnwood, the ICA and an entirely new main cast.

E3_2015_Mediakit_018

The structure is inspired by contemporary TV series’ and will unfold over multiple seasons. To begin with, the overall story and the individual mission stories run in parallel but as the first season progresses, the tracks will merge and become one.

Before that, the beta

The Hitman beta will be available first on PS4, starting 12th February. You can guarantee your access right now by pre-ordering either the Full Experience or Intro Pack via PlayStation Store. The Hitman Collector’s Edition will also include access to the beta, and full details on that are up on the dedicated CE page.

Whichever version you choose to pre-order, you’ll also get the Blood Money Requiem Pack.

HITMAN_Requiem_Pack

As well as being the first to play the beta, PS4 players will also get exclusive access to The Sarejevo Six. These are six bonus contracts that tell a self-contained side-story revolving around former members of a paramilitary unit called CICADA. Agent 47 will travel the world in pursuit of his targets, with one contract available in each location from the game.

HITMAN_The_Director_Sarajevo6

The first PS4 exclusive contract will be available when the game launches on 11th March. We’re calling it ‘The Director’. Your target is Scott Sarno, Director of European Operations for the CICADA private military corporation. He is a 30-year veteran of clandestine operations and has been linked to a number of questionable operations in Europe and the Middle East as far back as the mid-nineties. He is highly trained and incredibly observant, you should expect him to be accompanied by several CICADA agents at all times.

We’ll see you on 12th February for the Hitman beta!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

50 Comments 7 Author replies
Show oldest first

If I buy the intro pack, and the following locations one at a time as they’re released, will I have access to the live contracts and updates?

Travis Barbour 3 February, 2016 @ 1:48 pm

Yes, you will have access to all the live content for the locations that you own. Some of them are time-limited, so you obviously need to own the locations when the live content is active.

cognac-vsop 3 February, 2016 @ 1:12 pm   2

i can’t support this episodic, digital 1st nonsense. will wait till the full game is out on disc and even then I’m not paying full price. shame since i’ve bought every hitman game day 1 so far.

Travis Barbour 3 February, 2016 @ 1:58 pm

The decision to go truly episodic was not one that we’ve taken lightly and we fully acknowledge that the decision may frustrate some players.

It’s also about options. If you want everything on a disc at the end of the year, we are offering that.

Stonesthrow 3 February, 2016 @ 4:57 pm

Well said. Same goes for me.

Thunderlizzard 4 February, 2016 @ 9:50 am

I’m not a fan of the microtransaction, fleece the player, pay to win models but have nothing against episodic if it’s done and priced right. Take a look at anything Telltale, it’s not a bad thing.

£45 is a bit of a premium if you compare it to those but assuming this will yield a full Hitman game when complete is pretty competitive against most AAA pricing lately.

Plus this “live content” could be interesting and you’ll miss out on all of it if you wait. It might still be rubbish but I’m all for mixing it up and trying new things. I’m sick of the annual reissue cash-cow that most games do now.

Of course I stopped taking your comment seriously anyway as soon as I read “and even then I’m not paying full price.”

cognac-vsop 4 February, 2016 @ 10:06 am

@Thunderlizzard so you expect me to pay full price for a year old game? you crazy? if they are going to make me wait till the end of the year for a disc, why should i pay full price? lol I’m sure the digital version will go on sale many times before the disc is actually out anyways.

@thunderlizzard As you said the people paying the disk game miss out on the ‘live’ content and the game is old(er). I love hotman but dislike episodic games because you pay often for the season that could as well suck. If I have to wait even longer to play the full game I can wait a bit more to get it for a steep discount.

INS1GHTFUL 3 February, 2016 @ 1:13 pm   3

i know a lot of people don’t like the game being cut up but I’m ok with this. I will try the intro pack and if i like it maybe i’ll buy other locations that I’m interested in, like japan.

andrewsqual 3 February, 2016 @ 1:18 pm   4

I’m with cognac-vsop. I won’t hold my breath but I assume Jesper Kyd isn’t doing the soundtrack either?

spacedelete2 3 February, 2016 @ 1:26 pm   5

its scams like turning what used to be a traditional game into a episodic game that will cause another gaming crash. its obvious that you have already completed the game but turned it episodic for your own personal agenda by turning all your games episodic also like the Final Fantasy 7 remake but we gamers will not accept these scams and you will realise this when these episodic scams flop.

Not all episode based games are scams, if the game is built designed for it then it can be an amazing thing, I don’t think I would of liked Life is Strange as much if I didnt have the hype of waiting for the next part after beating the previous one.

andrewsqual 3 February, 2016 @ 5:01 pm

Errr yeah, so you are saying that FF VII Remake is literally finished right now or will be out in the next 6 months if it doesn’t go episodic, seriously, no joke? They can’t even make a single FF game in the same time it took to put out 3 full 100 + hour games on PS1 back in the day. Will FF XV actually be 5 times better than FFVII as it took 5 times the length of time to make?

What they are doing with FF the last decade is actually what has killed that franchise for me. If I get the opportunity to play any FF VII Remake this year, after only being announced 8 months ago, maybe that is a massive step up from where we are now.

VictorAnalogy 3 February, 2016 @ 5:31 pm

The whole bundle will cost the same as a normal full game. This just gives you a chance to pay less for the first episode(s) and bail if you don’t like it. If anything it is much fairer than asking for £45 up front and if you don’t like the second half of the game you’re out of luck.

I don’t get how it is even a little bit a scam.

CoolRichy007UK 3 February, 2016 @ 1:37 pm   6

No buy no sale who ever came up with episodic idea is lame this game will fail ppl buy games 4 all levels not episodic each month i can think of another name 4 this game lol you have just lost a fan and other fans

CoolRichy007UK 3 February, 2016 @ 1:38 pm

Anyone buys this episodic is wasting money

How exactly are they wasting money? Providing they get what they pay for when the episodes finish. I for one will be buying the intro pack. If I like I will then get the rest. The reason am not buying the whole season right of the bat is because I didn’t like what they did with Absolution.

cognac-vsop 3 February, 2016 @ 1:44 pm   7

the sad thing is, it’s probably not the devs fault but the order came down from Square Enix.. there is a report out that says “Square Enix Cancelled Several Games Before PS4 & Xbox One Launch Due to Lack of Faith in Consoles and constantly meddled with games like Deus Ex, Just Cause 3, and Hitman.” even Final Fantasy will be episodic. So it’s all probably SE’s fault.

Alondate31 3 February, 2016 @ 1:50 pm   8

Who knew even the great Hitman could be a commercial product rather than a assassination themed action game. What a day to be alive!

This pre-order for beta access is getting old, here’s an idea, why not give everybody beta access? Considering the nature of betas is to stress test/bug find etc wouldn’t it it be better to have as many people on it rather than the handful of people who will buy into this episodic nonsense?

QuinlanLJ 3 February, 2016 @ 7:17 pm

Not to mention an open beta could convince many to buy the actual game if they enjoy the beta.

And beta’s are part of the Plus subscribsion or has that changed together with the quality of the games.

somethingatt 3 February, 2016 @ 2:06 pm   10

Please can you go back to just making great games and then selling said great games. Why all this convoluted marketing crap?

Witcher 3 shows simply making and selling a great game, with a good old fashioned EXPANSION (meaning EXPANDING on the base game), with free DLC works exceptionally well. The Witcher 3 is not only one of the most fan loved and critically acclaimed games of recent times, it is one of the greatest commercial success stories.

May I also add, because I loved the game AND the way CD Projekt marketed and sold it (i.e: No BS and no nickle and diming) that I bought it THREE times (PS4, PC after I got a GPU upgrade and one as a gift to a friend because I personally loved the game so much).

AAA publisher tactics are starting to beg for another video game crash with this over the top greedy crap. And it is greed, simple as. You don’t NEED to nickle and dime us this much, you WANT to. So many games I’m skipping because I’m treated like a bag of money rather than a gamer. You guys are missing out on so much money from me by doing this crap, it’s seriously unreal. And if a few more thousands start to get my ‘sick of this’ attitude (and with time, they will), you are going to lose out and cry in the not-so-distant future.

So yes, in short. I will not buy this game until *maybe* the GOTY version is released and is on sale (on Steam most likely as PS ‘sales’ are not even worth mentioning).

tl;dr: Back to selling games as great games, not as money making services please. Month by month you are driving the industry down by doing these practices.

Alphaembryo 3 February, 2016 @ 2:53 pm   11

Pitiful

Mike-13-GR 3 February, 2016 @ 2:58 pm   12

Very great news can’t wait fot the beta

No problem with the episodic model per se- but it forces us to pay the PSN store price which is often inflated over disc prices. I have never, ever paid £45 for a new release. And considering episodic games often go on sale before their run is complete it’s even more off putting.

How much is the “upgrade pack” going to be?

Travis Barbour 4 February, 2016 @ 8:13 am

The upgrade pack will be on the store closer to launch. Combining the Intro Pack and the Upgrade Pack (rather than just the Full Experience) will ultimately cost around £5 more. Exact numbers to come of course.

pjakinnear 3 February, 2016 @ 5:06 pm   15

Was really positive about this release after last year’s E3, but £44.99 (or €59.99) is just too much – my previous pre-order was just £39.99 – looks like I’m going to have to wait for the Summer Sale…

European_Gamer 3 February, 2016 @ 5:16 pm   16

Don’t be afraid to try new things.

Interesting concept. I think I’ll try it out.

PluvioLambda 3 February, 2016 @ 6:01 pm   18

Nice

AyanamiReign 3 February, 2016 @ 6:03 pm   19

So I was going to preorder the Intro Pack but I want to know how much it’ll cost to get that + the Upgrade Pack versus getting the full game now for £44.99?

Travis Barbour 4 February, 2016 @ 8:17 am

The Intro Pack + Upgrade Pack will approximately be £4 – £5 more expensive versus the £44.99 Full Experience. The Upgrade Pack will be on the store closer to launch with the exact pricing.
    Quick edit: You can see the exact pricing already here: https://buy.hitman.com/gb/ The upgrade pack is £36.99

bedzso-01 3 February, 2016 @ 6:10 pm   20

So.. if i pre-order the Intro Pack, i have to buy the full experience to enjoy the whole games when it comes out? Or should i buy the Full Experience and i dont need to spend more money? By the way… how many GBs will be the game?

Travis Barbour 4 February, 2016 @ 8:19 am

If you pre-order the Intro Pack, you can purchase the Upgrade Pack (coming to PSN soon) to enjoy the whole game.

If you purchase the Full Experience, that’s it. You get the whole game as it is released. GB pricing is up on the store already.

bedzso-01 4 February, 2016 @ 5:34 pm

Well, thanks for the reply. I hope the game won’t dissapoint me ’cause i loved Absolution.

rayna-monique 3 February, 2016 @ 7:18 pm   21

I have a question last year I pre orded hitman from my local game shop on ps4 the disc version of the game when will that come out

Travis Barbour 4 February, 2016 @ 8:20 am

The disc version of the game is launching later in 2016 after the season has concluded.

rayna-monique 4 February, 2016 @ 9:58 am

I was not expecting a reply so thank you so much for answering my question I’m really hyped up about hitman Im a huge fan of hitman when I saw it at E3 last year I went straight to my shop to pre order it but I’m not a huge fan of buying my games on the ps store I like my disc but yeah imma keep my pre order for the disc and just wait 🙂

DISH0N0RED_THI4F 4 February, 2016 @ 7:23 am   22

Is psplus required for this game in any way?

Why has the price been hiked by £5 since they were cancelled? I had the original preorder which was £39.99 why is it now £44.99?

rayna-monique 4 February, 2016 @ 9:59 am

If you buy the intro it’s ganna cost you more money for buying each pack but if you buy the full game I’m sure it be cheeper

The full game was originally £39.99, those preorders got cancelled and now the price has risen by £5.

MaxDiehard 4 February, 2016 @ 1:56 pm

Depending on where you ordered, they shouldn’t have done that. They should have honoured the deal at the price you pre-ordered at.

rayna-monique 4 February, 2016 @ 9:31 pm

I pre orded my game in the shop I put 200pound deposit on it so I better get my pre order otherwise I want my money back [that 200pound us off the game when its out]

Porcupeth00 4 February, 2016 @ 11:10 am   24

Episodic is a good idea IMO

In order to access the beta, does the pre-order need to be placed before the 12th or can it be made afterwards (as long as the beta is still going)?

I don’t like this business model at all. I also don’t am a fan of exclusive content for one console. I think everyone who pays need to get the full experiance. I always liked the hitman games but I leave this one for the budget bin. If I have to wait for the full game I can wait long (just like tomb raider). It could happen I forget about the (then old) game all together. It’s a shame.

Pre-ordered.
Don’t disappoint me, Agent 47. Otherwise, i’ll cross your name off the list…

Rochie759 5 February, 2016 @ 10:34 pm   27

Pre-ordered the full game,can’t wait an to all the other people theirs a few epsodiac games out there,an in regards to this game at least your not gonna get screwed over with dlc or micro-transactions such of the likes from EA,Bungie etc so bear that in mind when your moaning,you’re happy to get royally bent over by them but because Hitman which is one of the greatest games ever gets released this way but pay no extra you all think they’ve shafted you. Your all a bunch of hypocrits who moan

Simos_Moss 8 February, 2016 @ 1:17 pm   28

I’m playing this game for sure! Good graphics and great cut scenes of the story!

i love hitman
but i wil wait untile ful game release + price need to be cheaper ( oldest content of the game = 1 jear old )
same = final fantasy 7 remake ( i wait ful game )
realy tired of way lots of games launch today
dlc = if price content good ( if i love game i wil buy )
micro transaction = i not like

I think people are getting the wrong impression (well hopefully it is the wrong impression) that by cutting the game up you’re looking to milk customers, I personally think the episodic idea could work really well with the contracts set up and feedback on AI and level design has been promising so far.

Anyway I’ve preordered and look forward to the beta, excuse me if already mentioned but when do we get the theme?

RUAIRI1976 12 February, 2016 @ 12:41 am   31

I bought the pre order…. Where’s the beta?

nulenvoid 12 February, 2016 @ 8:42 am   32

It’s 9:40 PM 12th Friday evening, should I still expect the beta tonight?

cricri1995 25 February, 2016 @ 4:49 am   33

Is it true there will not be european dubs in this game ? 🙁