Knights & Bikes confirmed for PS4, from Tearaway and Ratchet & Clank creators

Rex Crowle and Moo Yu promise a blend of The Goonies, Earthbound and Secret of Mana

Today feels like we are cycling downhill, on an out-of-control bike, with a pocket full of water-balloons and a grin from ear-to-ear. Why? Because KNIGHTS AND BIKES IS COMING TO PS4!

It’s exciting for us because we’re the biggest fans of PlayStation and its games, we’ve even been lucky enough to work on some of them like LittleBigPlanet, Tearaway and Ratchet and Clank, and we definitely didn’t want that to stop, even after going indie!

We’re currently running a campaign on Kickstarter and need your help to make the game! So we should introduce ourselves properly…

We are Rex Crowle and Moo Yu and together we are Foam Sword! I was the Creative Lead on both Tearaway and Tearaway Unfolded, Moo was the Lead Gameplay Programmer on Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction, and we both worked on LittleBigPlanet. In fact, it’s where we met!

So what are we making now? Well, Knights and Bikes is a co-op action adventure game, inspired by our own childhoods and some of our favourite movies and games like The Goonies, Earthbound and Secret of Mana.

Knights And Bikes takes place on Penfurzy Island, off the coast of Cornwall, a place of medieval legend, and modern tourism. Our story starts in 1987 when the island is under threat from a number of forces, ancient and modern, which can only be tackled by the island’s most overlooked heroes: its children.

You play as Nessa, Demelza & their gang of helpers. Nessa is an outsider from the mainland, who is searching for her family’s past. Demelza is an imaginative local who still believes in the island’s ancient legend (spurred on by her favourite video game). Together they explore the island on foot and on bikes, seeking the truth, searching for treasure, recruiting new gang members and learning more about the adult world.

The island might be under threat, but how will our heroes deal with it? By fighting like kids! Use your ingenuity to splash enemies with mud or swerve a Frisbee past their shields; hack video game hardware to use against them, or build a lance and surprise enemies with some bike-jousting!

Knights and Bikes is a dream project for us. A combination of childhood memories, the power of imagination, and the wonderful gift that video games can be. While you can play it on your own and it’ll be a great experience, it’s also built for co-op play, so you can team up with a friend and explore the beautifully hand-painted world together.

And this is why we think the game is perfect for PS4, as PlayStation has always been about bringing people together. And with SharePlay, you can even reunite with that childhood-friend who moved far far away.

We’re so excited to bring Knights and Bikes to PS4 and we hope you’ll ride along with us!

Did you enjoy this?

27 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Me likey the lookey long time. 🙂

warensembler83 11 February, 2016 @ 3:21 pm   2

I’m a backer on Kickstarter and I can’t wait to play the game 😀

Awesome! Moo here. We’re loving working on it. 🙂 It really is a dream game for us!

Not really interested in PS4 version.

Mishimotsu 11 February, 2016 @ 3:38 pm   4

Saw this morning and upped my Kickstarter to get the PS4 version now 🙂

HomessaHomem 11 February, 2016 @ 3:41 pm   5

Great news! Any chance of a PS Vita version?

CravingForCookie 11 February, 2016 @ 3:41 pm   6

Wow, this looks absolutely amazing! What an absolutely fantastic trailer. I love the concept, the artwork etc. It seems to be oozing with creativity. It gives me a bit of a Song of the Sea meets Super Mario RPG vibe 😉

Song of the Sea was actually our first company outing once Rex finished on Tearaway Unfolded! 😀 And of course I love Super Mario RPG. 🙂

crimsonidol-de 11 February, 2016 @ 3:41 pm   7

Last week you got my interest, now you will get some of my money, too. =)

zalwelgoedgaan 11 February, 2016 @ 3:42 pm   8

Looks lovely, hope the Kickstarter will succeed.

A PS4 release? That’s wonderful news, thank you!

“…not quite like anything I’ve ever seen, and yet exactly like something I’ve just realised I’ve been waiting for most of my adult life.”

Stonesthrow 11 February, 2016 @ 4:44 pm   10

Beautiful as expected from former Media Molecule devs. Normally it’d be sad to have lost more AAA talent to the well represented Indie scene but in this case I don’t mind at all (as long as MM doesn’t suffer from it), looks like a nice experience.

OldHorn666 11 February, 2016 @ 6:50 pm   11

Looks nice!

European_Gamer 11 February, 2016 @ 6:54 pm   12

Good luck.
I had a feeling that you were saving the PS4 announcement for later to generate some additional hype.

Jamesyp00 11 February, 2016 @ 6:59 pm   13

definitely backing this on pay day 🙂

CoolRichy007UK 11 February, 2016 @ 7:25 pm   14

Day 0 buy

ProxyArcane 11 February, 2016 @ 7:33 pm   15

A blend of The Goonies, Earthbound and Secret of Mana?? You have my interest!

princessmia89 11 February, 2016 @ 9:19 pm   16

Ohmygod this looks AWESOME. I love that the main characters are girls too (because I sure as hell spent more time climbing trees and making bows and arrows as a kid than I did playing with dolls etc, so it’s nice to see that kind of [female] childhood experience reflected in a video game!)

Only way this could be even more awesome would be for a Vita version too *wink wink, nudge nudge*

Dinki0815 12 February, 2016 @ 1:03 am   17

A real Earthbound or better Secret of Mana remake would have been much better! Go kiddies go (this game will never reach anything like Secret of Mana lol) Sorry but cant stand that childish graphic style, so have fun kids…

Amazing looking game, i’ve just become a backer. Can the game be played solo or is it pure co-op only?

I love the art style and overall tone. Considering the developers’ experience, I’m hopeful that the gameplay will be compelling as well.

TheMaxDaddy 12 February, 2016 @ 2:06 pm   20

I loved the art, music and style in Tearaway and was going to donate anyway. Then I watched the video and now I’m super excited. It looks fantastic. So far away. 🙁