PlayStation Store charts, January: Rocket League races to the top spot

While The Witness and Resident Evil 0 make their debuts

This time last year, few of us had even heard of Rocket League. Fast forward 12 months and it is a planet-smashing phenomenon. In January, Psyonix’s ridiculously fun multiplayer sports romp was the best-selling game on PlayStation Store – and by some margin. Congratulations to the team – you deserve your success!

Elsewhere, the January sale gave a number of older titles a healthy new year boost, while Resident Evil 0 and lauded puzzle adventure The Witness made their debuts. See below for all the details.

1. Rocket League (5)
  2. Star Wars Battlefront (1)
  3. Need for Speed (2)
  4. FIFA 16 (3)
  5. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (5)
  6. Far Cry 4 (RE)
  7. Minecraft (15)
  8. Grand Theft Auto V (6)
  9. Bloodborne (RE)
  10. Resident Evil 0 (New)
  11. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (18)
  12. Worms Battlegrounds (RE)
  13. Battlefield 4 (12)
  14. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (8)
  15. Destiny: The Taken King (7)
  16. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege (13)
  17. Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection (10)
  18. Mortal Kombat X (RE)
  19. The Witness (New)
  20. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (RE)

DLC (all formats)

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops III – Season Pass (1)
  2. Bloodborne The Old Hunters (2)
  3. The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited -ESO Plus (4)
  4. Rocket League – Back to the Future Car Pack (5)
  5. Rocket League – Chaos Run DLC Pack (2)
  6. Rocket League – Supersonic Fury DLC Pack (7)
  7. Driveclub Bikes (12)
  8. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – Hearts of Stone (8)
  9. Rocket League – Revenge of the Battle-Cars DLC Pack (10)
  10. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege – Safari Bundle (New)
  11. Minecraft – Star Wars Classic Skin Pack (19)
  12. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege – Season Pass (13)
  13. Assassin’s Creed Syndicate – Season Pass (11)
  14. Minecraft – City Texture Pack (New)
  15. Star Wars Battlefront – Season Pass (6)
  16. The Crew – Wild Run (9)
  17. Batman Arkham Knight – Season of Infamy: Most Wanted Expansion (17)
  18. Minecraft – Natural Texture Pack (New)
  19. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege – Emerald Weapon Skin (New)
  20. Minecraft – Fantasy Texture Pack (New)

PS Vita/PSP:

1. Assassin’s Creed III Liberation (RE)
  2. Mortal Kombat (4)
  3. Minecraft (3)
  4. Rayman Origins (5)
  5. Street Fighter X Tekken (9)
  6. Persona 4 Golden (RE)
  7. Sword Art Online: Lost Song (RE)
  8. Hotline Miami (RE)
  9. Dead Nation (RE)
  10. WRC 5 FIA World Rally Championship (RE)

1. FIFA 16 (1)
  2. Battlefield 4 (4)
  3. Minecraft (3)
  4. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (2)
  5. Just Cause 2 (RE)
  6. Goat Simulator (RE)
  7. Tomb Raider (RE)
  8. Assassin’s Creed Rogue (RE)
  9. Mortal Kombat (RE)
  10. Grand Theft Auto V (10)

PS one and PS2 Classics:

1. Crash Bandicoot (1)
  2. Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped (2)
  3. Final Fantasy IX (8)
  4. Final Fantasy VII (9)
  5. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (3)
  6. Final Fantasy VIII (9)
  7. CTR: Crash Team Racing (4)
  8. Spyro The Dragon Trilogy (6)
  9. Parasite Eve II (RE)
  10. Final Fantasy VI (RE)
Did you enjoy this?

27 Comments 1 Author replies
Show oldest first
Jimster-71 12 February, 2016 @ 2:09 pm   1

Not bad for a PS+ game from last July. I still play it every day. Awesome game.

Carnivius_Prime 12 February, 2016 @ 2:25 pm   2

Heh yeah, very impressive for a game that most PS4 owners already got for free. It’s still my most played game on my PS4 by far. 🙂

jamie-sixtyfour 12 February, 2016 @ 2:47 pm

Could be from those people who got a PS4 for Christmas and are getting the game to play with friends who already own it.

I would imagine playing Rocket League on PS4 would be a big draw for people looking for a game to play post Christmas.

Carnivius_Prime 12 February, 2016 @ 5:37 pm

You got a point. My friend whom I play it most with recently only got a PS4 a few weeks ago and bought Rocket League. It’s certainly a great game to play with friends and make new PSN friends with.

ErikaErikaT 12 February, 2016 @ 2:29 pm   3

Interesting to see The Witness so low on the chart…I was looking forward to it but £30 is too steep for me. Waiting for it to go on sale – I guess a lot of people feel the same way.

ErikaErikaT 12 February, 2016 @ 2:31 pm

Ah I didn’t realise The Witness was released so late in January. I guess it did pretty well after all.

Fred Dutton 12 February, 2016 @ 3:00 pm

Yes, it was only on sale for a few days of Jan. Did great numbers considering!

Finka_Karfein 12 February, 2016 @ 2:49 pm   4

Yakuza 5 not in Top 10 anymore? Sad…
Unfortunately my friends aren’t interested in the series until PS3 gets English version of Yakuza 1&2 HD Edition (since there’s no Kiwami 2 announced, 1&2 HD Edition is the one requested).

If Yakuza 5 was on PS4 instead of PS3 (or both) I would have bought it in an instant. Because it came out so late, I did not buy it as I gave my PS3 to somebody already.

I really loved Yakuza 4 (did not play the others, so it is certainly possible to begin with 4 at least (you can watch the story from the previous ones in the game)).

I am really hoping they port it to PS4 as well, but if/when this happens, PS5 is probably out.
    That is the biggest problem with the Yakuza games imo. It takes too long before they arrive in the West.

Finka_Karfein 12 February, 2016 @ 3:29 pm

Yeah, I know that Yakuza 3 & 4 have reminiscences from previous games. You can watch them, of course, but you cannot bond with characters. And it’s important to fully enjoy the series and its story (I wouldn’t care as much for Haruka if it wasn’t for playing previous games, not just watching some cut-scenes).
    I agree, it would be awesome if they released everything lacking in the west for PS3 (so 1&2 HD Edition, Zero and maybe Kiwami(s)) and then make great remasters for PS4 (Kiwami(s) would be done already, only Y3-5 left to port with FHD and 60fps and maybe uncut the previously cut content).
    I still hope for Y1&2 HD Edition especially when I discovered that English Yakuza 5 gives you bonuses for having save games from those games. And names them Yakuza 1 HD and Yakuza 2 HD, not Ryu ga Gotoku.
    If PlayStation would get Yakuza 1&2 HD Edition and Shenmue 1&2 HD Edition… my golden era of remasters would become platinum and complete.

Ryusennin 12 February, 2016 @ 6:03 pm

If Yakuza 5 was in a box instead of download only, I would have bought it in an instant. Your loss, Sega.

And people who dish their PS3 to buy remasters on PS4 should not be allowed to complain.

I just did not have any space to put both so I gave my PS3 to my sister.
    I don’t see a problem with that.

Also, the game came out 2 years after PS4 had launched although it launched in Japan with the PS4.
    If Sony would make the PS4 backwards compatible like my Xbox One is, I would have bought it in an instant as well.

And then Sega complains people don’t buy the Yakuza games.

I don’t have a problem with buying it digitally either. Certainly not for that price.

Apparently wrong Yakuza game. It launched well before PS4 in Japan. I knew there launched one with PS4, but it was an other one.

madmanwithabox12 12 February, 2016 @ 3:46 pm   5

PS4: Rocket League is well-deserved. Wish them continued success.

VITA: Why do people keep buying trash like Assassin’s Creed III Liberation and Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified? NA had P4G top the Vita charts, but here it’s always the garbage that rises to the top.

PS1: These never really change.

brisdevil 12 February, 2016 @ 8:45 pm

Noticed that too. P4G, Danganronpa 1-2, Steins;Gate, Bastion, Don’t Starve are all in NA top. It’s pleasure to look at. 🙂 Wish I could say the same about EU.

CluckNuggets 12 February, 2016 @ 10:03 pm

Pretty simple. The European people buying a Vita don’t research their purchase, they don’t read blogs or reviews. They’ll see game names that they know and will pick Vita games based on reputation alone.

Then all five of those European people will leave the store with their shiny new Vita and a copy of Assassin’s Creed, making it number 1 in January.

warensembler83 15 February, 2016 @ 9:48 am

They’re the same people asking for Knack on PS Plus. They just care about the names, not about the actual games.

KaneTheGoth 12 February, 2016 @ 5:00 pm   6

Where is the 30% discount for Gone Home? I see the original store post has been edited, but I know what I saw…

Flying_Pig 12 February, 2016 @ 5:16 pm

Fran has already said that the discount was shown in error. Gone Home doesn’t have a discount. Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime does.

KaneTheGoth 12 February, 2016 @ 6:31 pm

Missed that — thanks for the reply 🙂

josh261995 12 February, 2016 @ 5:13 pm   7

Glad to see Rocket League still doing so well. out of the top 10 selling games on the list i picked up Witness, Need For Speed and Battlefield 4. Battefield was a great buy at 9.99 in the sale

psn suffers whith 2 x xp cod – star wars + dlc dying licht

Stonesthrow 12 February, 2016 @ 6:19 pm   9

So much old stuff.. Really need some more AAA this gen -_-

Hey Fred could you answer some quick questions, do some diggin for us

1. is their any chance we’ll get early access like xb1 (would realy like a chance to play Ark survival evolved and have input like the xb1 users).

2. Why are games announced so early then we hear no more about them on the blog we have to trawl the net (games like: The forest ps4 announced 2013, astrea ps4 9months ago, no need to mention no man’s sky sore point for many I’m sure and many others).

flatspikes 14 February, 2016 @ 7:17 pm   11

The Vita chart is disappointing. The store doesn’t always show new releases, has categories that never seems to be updated and even the A-Z doesn’t seem complete. Very little resource would be needed to give new games a better chance!

Given that crash bandicoot permanently owns 40% of the top ten classics there would clearly be a market for a next gen reboot.

warensembler83 15 February, 2016 @ 9:56 am   13

Well deserved for Rocket League. A friend got it this month after months of spamming her about the game.
Sad to see the see more sign’s of Vita’s death… I haven’t purchased a Vita game since “Danganronpa” in one of the sales in Autumn (I think). I’d love to buy more, but the offer is… limited.

Will there be a sale soon on any of the following items Fred?

SF x Tekken Character pack (£16 is a joke, I’m surprised there hasn’t been a permanent drop yet)
Shovel Knight