Posted

Sign up now for the next PS4 system software beta

Get an early look at new features coming to PS4 soon

Last September, we put a call out to PS4 owners to test out our next system software update, and since we’re getting close to the release of our next system software update for PS4, we wanted to do it again! Starting today you can sign up to be a beta tester and get a sneak peek at some of the features making their way to your PS4.

Click here to sign up. The beta will kick off in early March, and if you’re part of it, you’ll receive an email with instructions on downloading the system software. You can roll back to the previous system software at any time, so don’t worry about downloading the beta.

In order to sign up, you’ll need a PS4 console with an internet connection and a master account. We’ll share more details on which features you’ll be able to test when the beta begins.

Be sure to join the PlayStation Forums to get access to our beta forums, so you can discuss the new features. We’ll be monitoring the forums throughout the beta. While we can’t always implement changes suggested by the community, it’s really valuable for us to hear your feedback to help guide the direction we take. We’re always listening!

We would like to thank everyone who signed up for the last beta, and we hope all of you (and those who didn’t too) will sign up again. Don’t wait too long to sign up – we’re accepting a limited number of beta testers, so get in now before it’s too late.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

163 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Signed up. Can’t wait to see what you guys may have up your sleeve.

VictorAnalogy 17 February, 2016 @ 11:08 am   2

VR update? 😉

Carnivius_Prime 17 February, 2016 @ 11:08 am   3

Done. And while we’re at it, do some more of them PS2 games. Haven’t yet done any of my faves. Get to it! 🙂

spacedelete2 17 February, 2016 @ 11:24 am

this is why we needed actual PS2 backward compatibility as Sony seem to have given up on the PS2 games already. notice how other than Rockstars games that all those PS2 games are published by Sony so it looks like companies don’t want anything to do with it.

Carnivius_Prime 17 February, 2016 @ 11:33 am

I’d be quite happy if Rockstar would do a bit more and put The Warriors and Canis Canem Edit on there. Those were by far my fave ever Rockstar games and my fave PS2 games.

I don’t want actual PS2 disc playback personally. I don’t use discs anymore if I can help it. (and I long since sold all my PS2 stuff years ago) Plus I prefer the PS4 re-released PS2 games to their original versions. I’d just like them to keep doing those!

spacedelete2 17 February, 2016 @ 11:45 am

well waiting for Sony to add any games you will be waiting forever as they love dripfeeding content at a snails pace whereas if we had disc compatibility you could literally go onto Amazon and order the game you want. Sony couldn’t get many companies to allow PS2 classics on PS3 so i doubt many of those companies still care as they would rather you spend money on overpriced DLC and microtransactions than give you cheap PS2 games.

andrewsqual 17 February, 2016 @ 1:25 pm

@Carnivius_Prime And yet we will still probably never see Gran Turismo 3 or 4, Primal (which is actually a game I never checked out back in the day and was made by what is now known as Guerrilla Cambridge), Jak X Combat Racing, Syphon Filter Dark Mirror (and the sequel but was out in the US only for PS2) and many more.

So just like with the PS2 Classics on PS3, do ONE OR THE OTHER SONY. Either simply let us play our discs OR get all the games up there on the store. Don’t half ass it with only around 30 games over the course of 4 years like with the PS3.

If Rockstar Games support of the PS2 Classics system on PS3 is anything to go by then they will most certainly get all their back catalogue on the PS2/PS4 including the likes of Red Dead Revolver, Midnight Club Series and Manhunt including the ones you mentioned 🙂

Never made sense to do PS2 games. PS1 games would of been a lot better.

JediKnight246 17 February, 2016 @ 6:14 pm

It’s a good thing to have but it seems like this is going to run into the same problem PS2 Classics on PS3 did. Hardly any games available and only a handful released every few months. I’d like to play games like Shadow of Rome and Primal on PS4 but right now there’s not much there except for GTA fans.

crimsonidol-de 17 February, 2016 @ 11:09 am   4

Let me test this legendary feature called “folders” which you will hopefully add. 😉

Where do u sign up?

rayna-monique 17 February, 2016 @ 11:15 am   6

i hope you give me a chance for the beta

mike-yazuka 17 February, 2016 @ 11:17 am   7

Hoping for some great stuff in this update.

Signed up, I hope to see a lot of improvements to Communities and also for Groups to actually be something useful for organising friends.

I also hope to see some influence from the feedback that people give this time as the previous test resulted in no change in the firmware to reflect any if the common comments, that makes the feedback feel unvalued

jamie-sixtyfour 17 February, 2016 @ 11:51 am

This! I wish we could create events for communities and also be able to access those communities & events signup outside of the PS4.

Stonesthrow 17 February, 2016 @ 4:42 pm

I’d also like the option to turn this off entirely. Really irritating when you check below your game/app and see a random dude playing the game you’re about to play (ps live) and get stuff spoiled -_- Almost makes me want to play offline to circumvent that completely.. -_- All social stuff besides the bare necessities should be entirely optional.

MaxDiehard 18 February, 2016 @ 2:12 pm

@Stonesthrow PS4 has and always was marketed as a social console. You knew what you were buying into.

If you want the classic console experience, turn off the network.

spacedelete2 17 February, 2016 @ 11:21 am   9

its about time PS4 had more updates and features considering how much money your making on the PS4. Sony so lazy and complacent this gen.

Iucidium_1982 17 February, 2016 @ 3:57 pm

You do know things like that take time?
    They obviously don’t have enough R&D cash because YOU aren’t paying for plus you skinflint.

somethingmarkish 17 February, 2016 @ 9:05 pm

I thought the “this is for the players” slogan meant ps4 was all about gaming and not loads of features or trying to be a home hub etc.?

AlexAtkinUK 22 February, 2016 @ 6:51 pm

Implying that “players” don’t need features?

Personally as one of those players I DESPERATELY need folders so I can sort my games how I like.

I download all plus titles and its annoying to have them push my bought games off the list.

MoistGeorge 17 February, 2016 @ 11:22 am   10

Signed up, hoping on that some of that promised greatness. The dashboard is still ridiculously slow and unresponsive 2 years into launch…

Your console must be a lone wolf then, my PS4 is perfect.

Stonesthrow 17 February, 2016 @ 4:46 pm

You mean while playing a game right? If there’s no software playing the dashboard is pretty smooth here but while playing a game it’s really slow.

Carnivius_Prime 17 February, 2016 @ 9:17 pm

Mine’s fine whether playing a game or not.

extermin8or_ 17 February, 2016 @ 11:24 pm

Ps4 responds nice ans slick all the time, OS menus kr ingame. Could the menus use some streamlining and improvements but all in all its fine.

White-Wolf--1997 17 February, 2016 @ 11:23 am   11

We want change psn id

rayna-monique 17 February, 2016 @ 11:34 am

they already said when you make you online id you won’t be able to change your name

@rayna-monique – The problem is they didn’t say that when you first created your id back in 2006. And even if they did in some line of the multi page agreement everyone ignores, 10 years is a long time with the same ID if you do not like it… So those who have been the most loyal are stuck with an old name, with the only option being to create a new account and abandon your trophies/games. The majority would be more than happy to pay to change our ID names, like with Xbox Live.

rayna-monique 18 February, 2016 @ 8:58 am

I made mine back in 2006 and when I created my name it said once you have chosen your name YOU WILL BE NOT ABLE TO CHANGE

I’ll gladly help out again. Here’s hoping you continue to listen to our feedback during the beta. Keep on rocking!

Speed_Pro_123 17 February, 2016 @ 11:48 am   13

But the question is, bigger party size? Because for sure 8 is just isn’t enough!

I have no idea . But i hope the new update are going to change psn id

spacedelete2 17 February, 2016 @ 12:23 pm

people need to stop asking this. its not going to happen and would need the PSN to be completely overhauled for months offline and that would cost this money hungry company too much money just for one feature to please neckbeards.

rayna-monique 17 February, 2016 @ 12:32 pm

i know i was 11 when i made my online id and thats my name if people wanted to change there name they need to make a new psn

AeneaZiggo 17 February, 2016 @ 4:20 pm

I don’t get why people seem to assume that changing your ID even needs a new firmware. It’s something that’s saved server-side in their databases, the firmware only uses the information like ID and password and logs into those systems remotely.

So no, this won’t be in this firmware since it never will. Might one day be available through a website tho…

People need to give up on this stupid idea.

crimsonidol-de 17 February, 2016 @ 5:30 pm

@AeneaZiggo:
    Maybe they need a new firmware for that feature ’cause it’s Sony. Don’t forget that the last firmware “added” the necessary “feature” of a larger PS+ cloud storage for PS4 as games like Apotheon or Tearaway Unfolded need around 300 MB for a savegame. It’s also a feature that shouldn’t require a new firmware, but it was combined with that.

CluckNuggets 17 February, 2016 @ 5:31 pm

Sony aren’t intelligent enough to handle this kind of operation. Can’t really expect much from a company serving customers files from 100gb optical discs.

extermin8or_ 17 February, 2016 @ 11:31 pm

Ummm what have the discs got todo with anything? Furthermore the firmware was required for greater storage as clearly the software was only set to recognise a capacity of 1gb space and that needed to be changed also the directory address of the servers and psn protocols in the system software used to access them or any number of other things could have changed or had new ones as they expanded the server space to accommodate the increase to ten gb.

Anton_Timo 19 February, 2016 @ 1:22 am

Changing your psn ID doesn’t need a firmware update or servers to be off-line it’s a very simple process the firmware update would just be putting in a new option to change psn ID like we had an update just to change the psn icon, unless they decide to have change psn ID in the SEN account only which would be more likely just the way we can deactivate all consoles every 6/12 months for console we don’t have anymore than need deactivating.
    Another update I’d like is for all consoles to see each other online I have friends across all 3 consoles and when I’m on my ps3 I can’t see them on vita or ps4 but my vita will see ps3/4 friends online so not a server thing but more so an update but I’m expecting Sony to drop ps3 updates soon as most we are getting is stability updates.
    I would love to see deletion of trophies with more than 0% or any % of that matter unless a platinum is obtained and when we sync across other systems it’s actually gone! I deleted 0% on my ps4, sync went back to my vita, ps3 and ps profile to find they are still there 🙁

immergingvirus 20 February, 2016 @ 11:27 am

why are people getting uptight regards changing psn id its not the end of the world as people when they were younger may of chose a name that was suited to the age group they come under at the time and now feel they want to update to abetter one, there are a lot of things I’m guessing that can be changed by changing firmware or tweaking the software slightly or there may already be an option to change them from day dot and all it needs is a button select, maybe do a message drop via the console if you wish to change your id you have 28 days to do so and if it cannoy be done hey not the end of the world we move on and do what we enjoy the most play games

AlexAtkinUK 22 February, 2016 @ 6:59 pm

Sony have already said its NOT a simple change and that is why they have no plans for it.

My guess, instead of having a single copy of the your PSN ID and a numerical lookup ID for it, they have embedded the text name in every database they use instead. That would be very complicated to try and change every single one without the risk of one failing and losing sync with the rest of the service.

It was fun last time. Hopefully I get lucky again!

Ministeri101 17 February, 2016 @ 12:06 pm   16

I’ve been waiting friend notifications for 2 years, how about finally giving them to us? even xbone has had them for almost 2 years

GyilokMaci 17 February, 2016 @ 12:28 pm   17

Pls give us folder support with this update oh pretty please… im tired of searching through my library, it has more than 100 titles all digital. it is a nightmare. yes i can sort alphabetically and recent use, but i want folders with custom names like local coop, open world etc. We already has folders like tv and video, we just need to be able to create custom ones and manually add games there. it is a must have with digital games i think.

Things needed
Change ID Name
Delete Demos etc from Library
Communities needs more functionality (Search feature)
Turn PS4 Controller light off completely (save battery)
ITV Hub (May need to negotiate with ITV)

More PS Plus games, axe the PS3 to give us more ps4 titles

I still play my PS3. No need to cut others off (yet) for no reason.

Stonesthrow 17 February, 2016 @ 4:51 pm

No reason? That’s all space that could be used for PS4 content, the console we’re basically forced to sub for and is most modern and popular.

fps_d0minat0r 17 February, 2016 @ 5:34 pm

Theres tons of AAA games they can still give us on PS3 so keep that.
    Axe the vita, fewest number of people have it. Most the AAA games which they could put on PS+ have already been on PS+

I know there are a fair few people who still game on PS3 but my point is i and many people have moved on to the newer console and have either sold or dont use their PS3 anymore, yet over the past 2 years have had around 48 PS3 games given we will never play as we have moved on.

If they go PS4 only and give more games, eventually when you guys upgrade you will recieve a ton of games to play on your new console

Stormie-33 18 February, 2016 @ 2:07 pm

You act like it’s obvious that if they stop giving free PS3 games, they’ll give more PS4 games instead, but who says they want to give you 4 free PS4 games a month? If they wanted to, I’m sure they would do it, with or without cutting off free PS3 games (I have no clue what the dude talking about “space” is implying, as if it’s impossible for them to offer more than 6 free games a month across their platforms or something).

I have both ps3 and ps4 and I play my ps3 way more.

ManikwithaNine 20 February, 2016 @ 2:30 am

We don’t want more ps4 games, we want good ps4 games. They’re not even gonna give us more if they got rid of the PS3. And if they did, then it’ll still be rubbish games.

ManikwithaNine 20 February, 2016 @ 2:32 am

It’s too late for me to change my ID name, I already made a new account.

CSR-Montoya 17 February, 2016 @ 1:31 pm   19

PSN ID CHANGE!

Hide/manage your online status (like on PS3)

Multiple friends delete, everything possible to multiple option

Game folders options (favorite, recent…)

Option to manage or remove Whats New iritating “features”

CptMorr1s 17 February, 2016 @ 1:39 pm   20

1. Customization for the home screen (pin, sort and hide items).

2. Wishlist on the console, not just the website.

3. PSN ID change.

miniswaggboy 17 February, 2016 @ 2:01 pm   21

signed up.

XxRaGe_NuKeZzXx 17 February, 2016 @ 2:10 pm   22

Haw do you sign up

The last one was severely underwhelming and blocked remote play so hopefully this is better.

flipkick661 17 February, 2016 @ 5:31 pm

How so? My Remote Play works fine, if not vetter than before.

As in the beta. It’s not in beta now is it? But the mismatch of system version between ps4 and vita meant it wouldn’t work.

extermin8or_ 17 February, 2016 @ 11:34 pm

They released the ps vita firmware when the beta went live though that allowed it to work for people in beta and not in beta.

Stonesthrow 17 February, 2016 @ 2:27 pm   24

Couple of things I can think of that keep reccuring or need some work. I’d like the maximum volume for headset/phone you connect via the Dualshock 4 to go higher, it is too low for playing with in-ear sets.
The option to turn off Party invites (not just the notification -_-) as this gets abused with spam etc..
A sorting option for the Apps bar (former XMB) so I can atleast see my games instead of pre-installed apps everytime I rebuild database or whatever. Ridiculous I have to start up every game just to get it to the front.
The option to delete games without a zero percentage (PLUS games mostly) from your trophies.
The ability to add purchased content on ps4 to your list without downloading it. Ridiculous I have to purchase something, quickly leave the store to delete it from downloading, and repeat..
That’s all I can come up with now, hopefully some of it gets taken into account.

Iucidium_1982 17 February, 2016 @ 4:00 pm

I think you may have damaged your hearing.

Stonesthrow 17 February, 2016 @ 4:37 pm

No, I just have one of those crazy loud jet engine launch PS4’s. But even apart from that, it’s still fairly quiet altogether with my in-ear Sennheiser and Apple headphones. (Also, I refer to the in-ear kind that simply sits in your ear, not the ones that go in your ear canal and might be louder). A couple of extra bars of volume definitely wouldn’t do wrong.

Stonesthrow 18 February, 2016 @ 6:57 pm

Oh, and another small thing I forgot. In the What’s New section, I’d like to be able to choose what I see, not what others decide to show me. For example, I don’t want to see what trophies a friend unlocked even if he decided to share that in the What’s New section.

ManikwithaNine 20 February, 2016 @ 2:41 am

Isn’t there an add to library button that lets you buy it without downloading it? I’ve only seen that on free PS+ games, I haven’t checked the paid games.

Noctis_91 17 February, 2016 @ 2:28 pm   25

Allow us put are trophy list in alphabetical order on ps4 ^_^

GHOST_MAN_KILLAZ 17 February, 2016 @ 2:28 pm   26

Awesome

Belgian_Oak 17 February, 2016 @ 2:49 pm   27

I’d really like to see howmany hours I have put into my games. Xbox has this, so why doens’t Playstation? It’s always great to compare the hours played for each game with friends! Such a little addition should be no problem at all. Even Steam and Origin has this…

Finka_Karfein 17 February, 2016 @ 3:02 pm   28

Please, let us finally turn off the screenshot notification icon.

Gifts on PSN would be awesome as well. I could spam my friends with digital Yakuzas 🙂

Stonesthrow 17 February, 2016 @ 4:54 pm

Ah yes, the screenshot notification too.. In fact, the whole thing altogether. I don’t need a damn screenshot for every trophy I earn, it’s ridiculous.

crimsonidol-de 17 February, 2016 @ 5:41 pm

@Stonesthrow:
    You can turn the screenshots off. Open the share options (press the Share-button until the menu pops up and then press the options-button on the DS4). There’s a menu for screenshot settings. Select that and deactivate the checkbox related to trophy-pictures (can’t tell the exact text as I’m using german UI).

Stonesthrow 17 February, 2016 @ 5:57 pm

Really? Had no idea. Thanks, will give it a try.

MaxDiehard 18 February, 2016 @ 2:16 pm

Gifting won’t happen due to regional restrictions.

Germany is the cause for most of the games in the EU to have violent content removed. Gotta love the irony, given their history.

Ryusennin 17 February, 2016 @ 3:04 pm   29

The PS4 interface was designed by a monkey. It lacks half the features of the PS3 (don’t get me started on online notifications/status, game folders, sorting options…). The multitasking OS is not that bad, but the GUI needs a complete overhaul.

We need more than (half-baked) communities and verified accounts.

xiuyinghong 17 February, 2016 @ 3:07 pm   30

#1 most requested feature has to be the ability to change ganertag?

granthedevil 17 February, 2016 @ 3:21 pm   31

hopefully the beta will be worth it 🙂

Madmaz116 17 February, 2016 @ 3:25 pm   32

Just sort out PSN, theres constant problems, signing in problems, masses of disconections from games, cant add funds to wallet problems, cant purchase problems, these things are more important to a user than new software.

If your saying this new software will ease those problems then great.

MaxDiehard 18 February, 2016 @ 2:17 pm

Are you sure your internet isn’t just rubbish?

Madmaz116 18 February, 2016 @ 4:28 pm

no my internet is fine , 40gb… go to Project cars forum or F1 forum or Evolve forum or Helldivers….mass disconnections all over the place, but Sony say there is nothing wrong. Right.

Enjoyed getting in on the ground floor of communities with the last OS beta so looking forward to this one too, always exciting to try new things!

KlingonKhan007 17 February, 2016 @ 3:36 pm   34

Can not wait

StokieJabba 17 February, 2016 @ 3:38 pm   35

Almost forgot, allow ps4’s to pick up and connect to 5Ghz wireless connections, surely this can’t be that difficult? Should have already being implemented at launch…

Iucidium_1982 17 February, 2016 @ 4:02 pm

Please be considerate of other competitive players and have it wired.

It is not as simple as releasing a update to enable this. They need to physically add a better wifi chip into the PS4. As the one in the PS4 does not and cannot support 5ghz wifi.

StokieJabba 17 February, 2016 @ 11:46 pm

I see, doesn’t change the fact that this chip should already of being in the ps4 at launch. As for being considerate towards competitive players my connection is fine as it is, just wanted the 5ghz for faster game downloads of digital games from the PlayStation store.

PSN download speeds depend on how fast your Internet connection is – not what band of Wi-Fi you use.

rospondek 17 February, 2016 @ 4:36 pm   36

I never thought testing unfinished OS which is crucial to maintain hardware working at all is a good idea.
Even with finished and fully released OS was a lot of troubles from time to time.
Let’s hope no one will brick their PS4 during testing.

MaxDiehard 18 February, 2016 @ 2:19 pm

Would you rather have buggy software released due to lack of proper internal testing? Because that’s basically what every AAA studio does nowadays.

QA Testers are no longer a thing when they can just churn out updates.

I really hope USB Media Player makes a return. It was so much easier and more functional than ‘Media Player’ or ‘Spotify’.

Still works on mine, latest firmware

“Works” is a strong term considering it can’t play albums in proper order, unless you by hand change the files to suit the ps4 :S

fps_d0minat0r 17 February, 2016 @ 5:01 pm   38

Friend notifications.
View trophies when offline.
One button to add all PS+ IGC games to basket and ‘purchase’.
Thanks.

please bring online status notifications and change online id, they’re my only ask haha

jason-bridges 17 February, 2016 @ 5:20 pm   40

Signed up, let’s see what you’ve got 🙂

EvilAngelEight 17 February, 2016 @ 6:22 pm   41

Please let us change the PSN username… Pleeeeaaaaaassssssseeeeee 😀

jazzylouis 17 February, 2016 @ 6:31 pm   42

Already signed in! I’m so excited! 😀

DylanMoloney 17 February, 2016 @ 6:35 pm   43

PS2 Disc Playback and finally make it happen please

melaniesasha 17 February, 2016 @ 6:45 pm   44

Ps Now for ireland come on we waiting long enough

Done

JediKnight246 17 February, 2016 @ 7:32 pm   46

Hopefully the next update will allow users to remove/hide items on the home screen and library. I don’t see the point in having things like The Playroom and ShareFactory taking up space when I never use them. Or demos still being listed in the library right next to the full game I now have.

It would also be good to have an option to turn off the videos and screenshots that now appear on each game’s home menu page. If I’ve just started playing a game I really don’t need an autoplay video showing the final cutscene at the end of the game. It was fine the way it was before. People know where to go if they want to see things like that.

Stonesthrow 17 February, 2016 @ 11:07 pm

Exactly. And even if we can’t delete apps we never use, atleast give us a sorting option to get them out of the picture. I don’t want to look at those things any more than I would an ugly background.
    Didn’t even know about the demos on ps4, haven’t tried any since my list on ps3 grew too big -_-
    And also agree with your second point to turn off the streaming vids in the home menu page. Was much better before when you just saw the installed and available DLC.

SweeneyMe 17 February, 2016 @ 8:16 pm   47

Done!

The UI really need to focus more on the user experience!
We need a better community, timeline sharing etc. -focus on the social communication!
And I would love to get somekind of process-status-thing on the trophies;
when you need to kill like 1000 monsters to get a trophy, you have no clue how long in the process you are 😀

And of course: Changing PSN ID 😉

ciaran_TC 17 February, 2016 @ 9:54 pm   48

Backwards compatibility would be great, but I doubt that’ll happen.

Folders, and to be able for trophies (also view trophies even if offline) to sync automatically would be nice. 🙂

kontraband 17 February, 2016 @ 10:05 pm   50

Folders is a good call… Get set up with genres etc. Plus a little more social on the xmb

Load all