Hitman PlayStation Plus beta announced, and new trailer goes live

A second chance to take an early look at Agent 47’s impending return to action

Hello PlayStation Nation! We are now just 16 days away from the launch of Hitman on 11th March. 16 days! In that time, we’ve got some great things to share with you. Let’s get to it.

As you know, we released the Hitman beta on PS4 two weeks ago and gave you the chance to play the beginning of Agent 47’s illustrious career and see how he joined the ICA. It was a great feeling for us to finally see so many of you playing our game – and thank you for all the feedback you sent our way too!

The events of the Prologue take place 20 years before Agent 47 arrives in Paris – and that brings us perfectly to the first thing we want to share with you: It’s our new trailer, the Hitman ‘Legacy’ Opening Cinematic.

The Legacy Cinematic bridges that 20 year gap between the end of the Prologue and the Sanguine Fashion Show in Paris. We’ll let you enjoy it before saying any more. We recommend full screen and headphones for this one.

We love it. And hope you do too.

If you want to get in on the action but missed your chance with the first beta, we’ve got some good news. Starting on 4th March, we’ll re-open the PS4 beta exclusively for all PlayStation Plus members. Mark your calendars as the beta will only be around for that weekend.

Keep your eyes on the ‘Events’ tab on your PS4 and sign up to watch our PlayStation Plus beta livestream, where we’ll pick up our Dualshocks and take you on a developer-guided tour of the beta. You’re sure to learn some secrets or stories from behind the scenes here at Io-Interactive.

One final thing. We recently detailed the “live component” of Hitman, meaning everything that happens between each monthly episode. On top of Contracts Mode, which you may be familiar with from Absolution, we’re also introducing new modes to Hitman.

Elusive Targets are the closest thing to the Hitman fantasy that we’ve ever created. You’ll get only one chance to take them down during a limited-time in real time. They each come with a unique backstory and you’ll get in-game rewards for completing multiple Elusive Target Contracts.

We’ve also added Escalation Mode, which has a strong focus on having fun with the game mechanics, rather than being realistic. Each Escalation contract will… escalate in difficulty as we add new elements into the mix, such as asking you to remove security camera recordings within two minutes of being recorded – but we’re able to change where the security cameras are and also add other elements such as laser trip-wire explosives. It’s all about having fun as pretty much anything goes in this mode.

On top of all that, remember that PS4 players will also get exclusive access to The Sarejevo Six. These are six bonus contracts that tell a self-contained side-story revolving around former members of a paramilitary unit called CICADA – and the first one will be available when the game launches. We’re calling it ‘The Director’.

We can’t wait to share Hitman with you on 11th March – in just 16 days!

Did you enjoy this?

23 Comments 4 Author replies
Show oldest first

I wonder why they chose to make this game episodic over a full-game release. I don’t mind it, I play many episodic games, and it could work with Hitman as well. But when I play a Hitman-game, I want to spend hours upon hours playing the whole game, progressing etc. So I dunno, I’m having mixed feelings, hehe.

spacedelete2 24 February, 2016 @ 1:37 pm

Jim Sterling had a stronge reliable source that Square Enix and even other companies had no faith in this gen of consoles and thought they would fail and flop and thought mobile would be the future. as we know PS4 proved them wrong with amaxing sales figure however Square Enix changed alot of their games designs at the start of this gen.

for example the source told Jim Stetling that games like Just Cause 3 was suppose to be a free to play PC only game, the Tomb Raider Xbox One exclusive deal was because Square Enix thought the Xbox One would outsell the PS4 and then also turning Hitman into a early access game by selling people episodes. this is also why this gen has been so underwelming with mainly indies and remasters is because companies thought consoles were dying.

Travis Barbour 24 February, 2016 @ 1:59 pm

We answer pretty much that exact question here:

We’ve also detailed the ‘Live Component’ a bit more as well – and this is what we think sets us apart from the expected episodic approach. It’s not like we’re releasing one episode and then you just wait. There’ll be something for you to play regularly. Take a look:

The questions is: why do you said first hit man will have episodes, later it will be a full release, and change it back to a episodic game a few moments later? Sorry, but Hitman shouldn’t be an episodic game and many many players think the same.

So why you don’t listen to your customers? Your “Live Component” isn’t more than some events like in Destiny, I doubt it will something spectacular.

Looking forward to it. I have no problem with it being a episodic game. I have played almost all the Telltail games and I have no issue with them being episodic.

All I hope for is the live events keep things interesting while we wait for the next episode to arrive.

I agree, as long as the live events are good, it will keep me entertained while waiting for the next episode. I just hope there isn’t a very long wait between releases.

spacedelete2 24 February, 2016 @ 1:57 pm

imagine the first episode flops and they scrap plans for the other episodes. Episodic only works for Telltale games not AAA games like Hitman and Final Fantasy 7 remake. if you support this other games will copy this model so do not support this.

Travis Barbour 24 February, 2016 @ 2:00 pm

The live events and modes are great fun. There’re more details about them here if you’re interested:

That’s why I don’t buy any SE anymore. I was so hyped about the Final Fantasy VII Remake and new Hitman, but when I heard it will be some episodic games, I was disappointed.

Square Enix becomes more and more like Capcom and Konami…

So just because of the temporary sandbox feature (kill this or that person in this or that way in a area, all in a level of the game that you are already have to do an unrealistic amount of killing) the customer is asked to buy a full game that is not ready and could suck later on, or buy seperate and pay more.
How does all of this fit into an interresting story or is that also trown out of the window to save costs?

spacedelete2 24 February, 2016 @ 3:09 pm

thats a good point. this episodic nonesense could be an excuse to hide an awful story. if you buy this before its disc release and to anyone who gets this before it gets fully reviewed you are a mug plain and simple.

Travis Barbour 24 February, 2016 @ 3:27 pm

You’ve got options on how to buy. The Full Experience, which is all episodes for one single price or the Intro Pack, which gives you the launch content at €15. If you go for the Intro Pack, you can then buy each episode for €10 if it sounds like something you want to get involved with.

If you want to wait for all episodes on a disc, that option is there too and we’ll release it when all episodes are released. You’ll miss out on some of the live content, but it’s still an option if you prefer it that way.

The only issue I have with episodic is the cost- we are tied into the extortionate digital prices

Sorry, live events or not, episodic is not how I would like to play Hitman. Having to wait for the next bit will just annoy me. As a gamer I want to delve into a game, not play it and then have to wait for a next release at an additional cost.

I’ll skip this until there is a full release with everything included at a reasonable price.

Travis Barbour 24 February, 2016 @ 3:28 pm

We’re putting all the episodes on a disc after we’ve released them all. That’s an option that we know some players will want.

spacedelete2 24 February, 2016 @ 4:20 pm

@Travis Barbour please let Square Enix know that i will be buying Hitman second hand when its released on disc just so your greedy corporate masters and yourselves get no money from me. i will also borrow the disc to my friends for free so thats even more potential sales lost.

you need to realise there is nothing wrong with releasing the traditional way of when its finished then release the game complete.

look at The Witcher 3 the company respected gamers with a complete game packed with content and they goot over 6 million sales. Hitman though will flop because you are angering gamers by thinking we are stupid by drip feeding pieces of the game. just remember this when Hitman flops and Square Enix shut down your company.

Excellent, I shall wait on the release of that disc & of course reasonable price 🙂

EpicMcDude 24 February, 2016 @ 4:46 pm   7

@spacedelete2 I’ll just say what Travis wants to say to you – you’re an idiot.

J-a-c-o-b-66 25 February, 2016 @ 8:09 am

Agreed. Wishing people to lose their jobs just because of a different form of distribution. What an embarrassing person.

J-a-c-o-b-66 25 February, 2016 @ 8:04 am   8

I can’t wait for this. Looks set to be my GOTY easily.

golden_2343 25 February, 2016 @ 8:12 am   9

”On top of all that, remember that PS4 players will also get exclusive access to The Sarajevo Six”

great news, I’m thrilled that the new Hitman game will feature my hometown in some way.

It’s very annoying when these game developers announce things are coming on “March 4th”. The gaming community is international, give us a time and timezone please!

hitman47wannabee 26 February, 2016 @ 5:13 am   11

Can t wait to kill this Director & Viktor Novikov.They are great targets !

It’s March 4th so how do I get to play this beta. I’m, a PS+ member and I’ve preordered the Intro pack?

Boroo1991 4 March, 2016 @ 10:25 am   13

exactly, it’s 4th March and nowhere to download Hitman beta.. I have PS+ what going up?

VauhtiVeikko 5 March, 2016 @ 3:05 pm   14

So how I’m supposed to test this beta? I have PLUS but it doesn’t let me download it from the PSN store.