Posted

Neverending Nightmares is coming to PlayStation 4 and Vita

Learn more about Infinitap Gamesโ€™ dark meditation on mental illness

Hello PlayStation fans! I’m Matt Gilgenbach, creative director of Infinitap Games. As a huge PlayStation fan myself, I am pleased to announce that my hit atmospheric horror game, Neverending Nightmares, is coming to PlayStation 4 and PS Vita in the second quarter of this year. All the scares and thrills of the original version are there but with a host of new improvements.

Neverending Nightmares is a very personal game for me because it’s meant to metaphorically express the experience I’ve had dealing with mental illness – specifically obsessive compulsive disorder and depression. It was a real challenge to develop a game to express those dark feelings, but my team and I have created a really unique interactive experience. I know I called it a “game” up above, but I think interactive experience is a more apt description.

Neverending Nightmares is designed to explore the darkest and most negative emotions – fear, horror, anxiety, hopelessness, pain and frustration. It isn’t a typical game where you are faced with challenges and can win. We worked really hard to make the players feel trapped and helpless when playing the game. After one reaches all three endings, none feel like a happy resolution. They barely feel like a resolution at all because there really aren’t clean endings in life.

24751065189_7715970cb3_o

In the game, you play as Thomas, a weak young man with asthma, who wakes up from a terrible nightmare. As you continue to progress through the game, you discover that he is trapped in a series of nightmares – each more hellish than the last. Your goal is to hide and flee from the horrifying apparitions that Thomas is defenceless against in order to finally “wake up” in the real world.

The game features a unique branching narrative where depending on the paths you take, you end up in different nightmares with completely different and contradictory endings. There isn’t a clear overarching story, and that was an intentional design choice. We were greatly influenced by David Lynch, and wanted the nightmares to feel more real than the “reality” in the endings.

25092403376_a1f9c5b4b3_o

As you can see from the screenshots, Neverending Nightmares has a very unique pen sketch look reminiscent of legendary artist Eduard Gorey. The game has a dynamic lighting and shadow system that fills in the darker areas with different amounts of pen sketch lines. We animate the pen sketch lines to create a tense atmosphere where it feels like the darkness surrounding you is always closing in.

The audio in Neverending Nightmares is one of its strongest features. IGF nominated composer Skyler McGlothlin delivers a haunting and oppressive dark ambient score. The warped piano notes and rumbling bass provide an ominous backdrop to the nightmarish soundscape including the pained rasping of the Thomas’s laboured breathing to the guttural growls of lurking monstrosities.

We’ve taken our time with the PlayStation versions of the game to make sure that you are getting the best possible experience. The biggest change is an improvement to the way the branching narrative works. We want gamers to experience all the content in the game and there is plenty gamers won’t see if they just reach one ending, so we’ve made it easier to get to the branching points and have designed them to be a bit more obvious. This makes a huge difference in the experience, so we are happy that PlayStation gamers first exposure to the game will be to this improved version.

25025460731_10574f3f6b_o

Secondly, we’ve made sure that the graphics are the best possible on their respective platforms. On PlayStation 4, the game runs at 1080p60 with antialiasing, but we also improved the engine to ensure pixel accuracy for our textures. Since Neverending Nightmares uses a lot of intricately detailed drawings, this has a great increase in graphical fidelity. The PS Vita version also runs at 60 fps with all of the effects turned on, so no matter what your PlayStation platform of choice is, you will get a great experience. Since we support Cross-Buy and Cross-Save, you won’t have to choose!

Thank you so much for your time reading this blog post, and if you like bleak and tense atmospheric horror, give Nevererending Nightmares a try when we release on PS Vita and PS4.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

19 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

The art style is very impressive. I like the sound of the game very much. Will be downloading the PS4 version on day one ๐Ÿ™‚

ummagummachild 25 February, 2016 @ 4:10 pm   2

The screenshots are compelling enough to make me appreciate the effort. I always find horror survival games interesting and if its available on vita then the fun is double folded. Thank u bringing it on vita, which is my favourite platform.

Aces73High 25 February, 2016 @ 4:32 pm

Me too dude! I love my PS4 (my 3DS and Wii U too), but Vita is my favourite current gen system by far. Despite owning four consoles, plus iPad and iPhone, I probably do a good 90% of my gaming on Sony’s handheld.

Probably helps that I’m an indie fanatic though. Most of my Vita time is spent ‘trying’ to reach the Nuclear Throne. Fifty hours in and I’ve still not beat it!

[NOTE]: I mentioned iPad above, and I know mobile platforms are looked down upon by most core gamers, but there really are some fantastic experiences to be had on iOS.

Crashlands, Device 6, FTL: Faster Than Light, Hopiko, Papers Please, The Room Three, Wayward Souls and 80 Days are just a few examples :0)

youngmadeof 25 February, 2016 @ 6:39 pm

Great to see some positivity on the blog for indie games and the Vita. Very refreshing. A perfect match indeed.

Aces73High 25 February, 2016 @ 4:19 pm   3

This looks utterly fantastic! The art is gorgeous.

All being well, this will be a day one purchase for my Vita!

youngmadeof 25 February, 2016 @ 4:20 pm   4

Nearly bought this on PC. Glad I held off. Thanks for bringing it to the Vita. It looks great.

HomessaHomem 25 February, 2016 @ 4:35 pm   5

Great news for my Vita! Matt, promisse us that if Neverending Nightmares sells well you bring Devastated Dreams to PlayStation ecosystem too. ๐Ÿ™‚

Alondate31 25 February, 2016 @ 5:00 pm   6

Amazing news! I really appreciate the games that are ported for Vita ๐Ÿ™‚ I am glad that I did not buy it on steam

Aces73High 25 February, 2016 @ 5:09 pm   7

Matt, if manage to read the comments here on the EU Blog, I just wanted to say that I feel your pain regarding the mental illness you mentioned.

After the sudden death of my parents in 1999, a serious motorcycle accident in 2004, being diagnosed with Crohn’s Disease in 2009 and having nine major operations between 2004 and 2014 (two of which were to save my life), I started getting very bad depression and severe anxiety issues a few years ago.

Although I still have very bad days, I think I’m getting on top of the depression, but the anxiety issues are still very much prevalent. Claustphobia, insomnia and random panic attacks are the worst symptoms. Despite really knowing better, I also have this perpetual and overwhelming feeling that at 42, I should be able to deal with my emotional scars, and I’m deeply ashamed of my mental health issues. Indeed, I can only write these words due to the anonymity afforded by the Internet.

Knowing just how mental illness can affect one’s entire life, I take my hat off and salute you for having the strength to make Neverending Nightmares. You sir, are an inspiration to all mental illness sufferers.

Thank you for bringing Neverending Nightmares to PlayStation.

In all fairness, one of the biggest problems people with depression have is not feeling worthy of receiving help. It’s thinking there are people worse off or younger or anyone more deserving of help than the person suffering from depression.

Sometimes people will self medicate or just bury the anger, the hurt, the despair under walls upon walls they build around themselves…and one day something happens (it can be insignificant) and the mask breaks, the walls crumble and the person is left standing with heaps of the garbage they have surpressed for decades.

The thing about depression is some days seem ok, you may even laugh because the medication covers up the despair especially with higher doses of anti-depressants but then the medicine is changed or they try to lessen the dose and one finds themselves in a state of distress.

You should never feel ashamed for not being able to deal with emotional scars or trauma. Age is irrelevant, when the damage is done its hard to overcome it. Some people will never overcome the damage, there is no resolution or exit. Some people will overcome it…it’s not about strength or weakness though its about the capacity to even begin to confront what has brought about the pain in the first place.

Depression and anxiety are best mates, they feed upon each other in ways too numerous to mention. I’m sure you will know what I mean by that.

Aces73High 25 February, 2016 @ 11:43 pm

@Izorpo!

Thank you so much for taking the time for not only reading my post, but also for taking the trouble to reply. Your words absolutely resonate with me…

โ€“ I’ve never seeked, sought or received any help with my depression. Though I am on meds. Venlafaxine for the depression and Pregabalin for the anxiety. I think they’re helping? But my emotions often feel suppressed by them.

โ€“ The depression really set in around 2012 and I self medicated for the first year or so. I was on Codeine (Dihydrocodeine) and Morphine (Oramorph) because of the Crohn’s and ops, and I thoroughly abused them. It’s taken more than two years, but I’m now finally back to prescribed doses. The next hurdle, is to get off them completely, but just the thought of it scares the life out of me.

โ€“ I also buried a lot of my issues. Way, way down, too. My mum and dad died within six week of one another, aged 47 and 51 respectively. Both we’re sudden. Particularly mum, who was only looking after my little girl (who’s now twenty!) a couple of hours before she passed. She looked fine. I buried myself in my work, working six-day weeks (at around 60-70hrs), but when I had to take time off, their loss washed over me and I was suddenly drowning and out of control. I couldn’t breathe.

โ€“ Thanks for saying that I shouldn’t feel ashamed. I cried reading that. It’s the first nice thing anyone has said to me in months. My marriage of 21 years is on the rocks. Badly. My wife has good intentions, but constantly shouting at me and telling me to ‘snap out of it’ really isn’t helping.

โ€“ I know exactly what you mean about depression and anxiety feeding off of one another. The anxiety is crippling me, which makes me feel wholly weak and inadequate, and this feeds the depression. And round and round we go.

I’ve been through MUCH more than I’ve mentioned in these two posts, and I’m haunted by memories and what-might-have-been’s. My marriage isn’t going to survive and I don’t know what the future holds. I just know that I’m tired and exhausted of feeling this way.

@Aces73High

I think people get stuck at the time (age) when the damage is done. Losing both parents in close succession is going to be incredibly painful.

My father died when I was in my early 20’s, he had a very aggressive form of cancer. I remember punching a brick wall, punching anything hard because I wanted to hurt myself. Eventually I succeeded and broke my hand as physical pain was much easier to deal with. The world doesn’t stop even though you wish it would because your world has stopped. In a few weeks I will be older than my dad was when he died. I think death is harder to deal with the younger the person is.

That’s awful that the person who should be supporting you the most is telling you to snap out of it. People with depression don’t choose to be depressed. Depression is horrible, it’s this huge weight that crushes the person and leaves them as a shell of the person they use to be. If people could “deal with it” or “snap out of it” they would but depression isn’t something people can switch on or off. Sometimes people can’t even begin to address the underlying cause as its too painful. Yes, dealing with someone with depression is incredibly difficult and frustrating as the person depressed gets caught in a loop of feeling worthless and low or no self-esteem. Depression is like a black hole and as frustrated as your wife may be it’s sad that she can’t realise that the breakdown of the relationship is only adding to the depression. Maybe sit her down and tell her what’s going on in your head.

If you did receive treatment for depression you would find that mental health services in the UK are sorely lacking. GP gives you pills and then you sit on a waiting list to see a therapist which can take years. Then when you do get to see a therapist it’s 10 sessions (1 hour for 10 weeks) and then find out that a) they claim they aren’t qualified to help (whatever that means) and then move you to cognitive therapy (which doesn’t work unless someone is highly suggestible) or b) attempt to move you to group therapy (where you find out that you can’t participate because you are detrimental to the group)

zalwelgoedgaan 25 February, 2016 @ 6:13 pm   8

I bought it during a Steam sale but haven’t played it yet. Looks like I will play it first with dat OLED.

Flipside666 25 February, 2016 @ 7:02 pm   9

Now this is the type of game I expect playstation to have, beautiful, different, original and trippy all in 1. I look forward to it.

You mention David Lynch as an influence but I think Lars von Trier’s Melancholia is still the best media to convey an accurate description of depression. If you haven’t seen it – highly recommend it.

I’m slightly suspicious when someone makes a game about mental illness (such as the upcoming AAA title that conveys schizophrenia as if it was an LSD trip) as mental illness is complex and there are numerous conditions people can suffer from. There is still this stigma about mental illness even though there are around 450,000,000 people around the world with mental health problems. Creative endeavours are often a good way of expressing what one is feeling (why art therapy is used in most institutions) and is useful as a coping mechanism.

I will wait and see as more information about this project becomes available closer to its release.

Looks really interesting. Will be getting this on Day 1.

Love the look of this and will deffo give this one ago.

jehuty_2174 26 February, 2016 @ 9:46 am   13

For some reason this game reminds me of “Closure” which never came out in the EU. What a shame. played the US demo, loved the vibe and getting the same vibe from this game. My vita cant wait

EquilibriumStone 26 February, 2016 @ 8:46 pm   14