PS4 3.50 system software update – key features detailed

The closed beta goes live on 2nd March

Our beta program for PS4’s next major system software update, codenamed Musashi (or 3.50 if you prefer numbers), kicks off on 2nd March. If you signed up for the beta and were selected, keep an eye on your email for instructions on downloading.

Regardless of whether you’re in the beta, we wanted to detail some of the key features we’re adding to PS4 in this update. We’re making it easier to connect and play together with friends and the wider community, as well as introducing some much requested features.

• Friend Online Notification – Want to know the moment your friends come online? With this update, you can, as we’ve added an option to be notified when members of your friends list sign in on the network. Notifications can be tailored to certain friends.
  • Appear Offline – Sometimes you want to play a game or watch a movie without being interrupted. Now it’s easier to go incognito as we’ve added the option to appear offline. You can designate if you would like to appear offline when you log-in or at any time from your Profile or the Quick Menu.
  • User Scheduled Event – Now it’s easier to organise a game session. We’ve added the ability to schedule a future gameplay session with your friends on the system. When your event starts, users who registered for the event will automatically be added to a party so you can start playing right away.
  • Remote Play (PC/Mac) – We’re bringing PS4 Remote Play to Windows PC and Mac. This feature won’t be available to test in the beta, but you can look forward to it soon.
  • Dailymotion, new service partner in Share feature – Dailymotion, an additional live streaming service, will become available for PS4 users to enhance their broadcast experience. Like other live streaming services available on PS4, users will enjoy the following features: Activity Feed, What’s New Broadcast Info Tile, Live Detail and Live from PlayStation.

If you’re in the beta, please download the software and let us know what you think. Stay tuned for more details on 3.50, including its release date.

336 Comments
0 Author replies

Was hoping for External HDD support, but this isn’t bad either.

Ravanofdarkness 03 March, 2016 @ 04:10
1.1

Same, here’s hoping they will surprise us and throw it in with the final release cause frankly i’ve got tons of spare external HDD and don’t feel like spending a fortune on a small 2.5 HDD that runs slower then my spare 3.5 HDD.

I use my external hard drive. Already. What do you mean

Omegastoopreme 05 March, 2016 @ 06:58
1.3

Grown_B, how can you be using one already? The games can currently only install to the internal (and WAAAAY too small) unit???

Show more replies

Sounds like a great update especially the remote play feature as xbox was boasting the same feature for windows 10.

Keep up the good work

2.1

I noticed on a blog I read on that that the user mentioned input lag causing it to be okay for casual gaming online for the xbone, can’t trial that cause I don’t own one but of that’s the case, it’s just a localised share play equivilant. Remote play was always a super smooth experience for me so I’m hoping it’s just a major upgrade solution to PlayStation TV but for the ps4 exclusively. Either way very very excited to utilise this. :)

No Custom Folders still??? :( Cool about the 1st 2 tho :P

3.1

Custom folders are essential like on PS3! Got some looooooooong stripe of games that need to be organised.

crimsonidol-de 01 March, 2016 @ 11:06

No custom folders and no ability to hide/delete unwanted stuff like Playroom, ShareFactory and the “TV/Video”-folder? Meh… :/

Sereal_Killer 01 March, 2016 @ 12:22
4.1

i understand them promoting their things like that but what really boggles my mind is that it keeps showing netflix as one of the download thing in the tv/video section when i have already downloaded.

Remote play for PC *and* Mac !! Woohoo!!

5.1

Do you recon this will include tablets like iPad or Windows tabs too. At the moment it only works on Sony tablets.

ollie_uk_2008 01 March, 2016 @ 14:28
5.2

@DragonsGash maybe in the future but pc & mac for this update

5.3

@DragonsGash well if the Windows tablets run full Windows 8.1 or 10 I reckon it will be able to run the remote play program.

Show more replies
graphicology 01 March, 2016 @ 11:09

Folders Pleeeeessssseeeeee

We asked that on the ps3 from the start until yesterday but never got it. I guess it’s to hard of they don’t care.
I wish we would get external hdd support but I’m afraid iwe’ll never get thatq either.

6.2

@OttoT we have had folders on the PS3 as long back as i can remember, so thats just not true…

Omegastoopreme 05 March, 2016 @ 06:59
6.3

dimikiller only preset ones for fields like game format, you cant make your own.

Show more replies

Will the beta allow remote play with vita? (the last beta I tried didn’t)

7.1

Uh? Doesn’t that always work?

7.2

@MoFoMedia
Last time I got the beta, when I tried to remote play it gave a message saying please update Vita firmware.
It works normally, but not on the beta.

7.3

Remote play and ps4 link (the ps4 to PC/mac feature) isn’t available in the beta. Share play and other beta features can only be used fully with other closed beta testers. Hope that helps

Show more replies
psychobudgie 01 March, 2016 @ 11:12

You had me at ‘Remote Play (PC/Mac)’

Really pleased with friend online notifications and appear offline. All I would like now is folders and delete certain things from my library.

spacedelete2 01 March, 2016 @ 11:14

thats it? are you freaking kidding me? other than appear offline everything else is junk. let us delete our downloaded games including our purchased games. If i buy a digital game i should have the right to remove the licence. enough of the social crap as i play consoles to get away from that facebook garbage.

10.1

What he said ^.
I subbed to the beta expecting a bit more than just social fluff. Color me disinterested.
And tell the Japanese to fix your libraries and store on all platforms including web browsers.

10.2

Why would you delete a purchased game from your download list?
Deleting demos, betas, trials and such would be great though.

10.3

This ^ as well as deleting games from the trophy list would be also nice to have.

Show more replies

What about the error due enough free space system says content can not be installed?

11.1

Isn’t that an error on your part? You need twice the free space it needs, and you should have 10% free space at all times to avoid issues anyway.

11.2

No, it’s a bug.

I tried downloading a 7GB game despite having 40GB free.

11.3

Try deleting the downloads in your notifications download list.

Show more replies

Friend online notifications should have really been built into the system software on release don’t know what you were thinking leaving it this long.

carloscadel2000 01 March, 2016 @ 13:19
12.1

Exactly

StevenJamesHyde 01 March, 2016 @ 11:15

Remote play for PC is excellent news; I get a lot of use out of the feature on Vita but the added stability of a wired network and DS4 support is even better. Good to see the much requested friend notification/appear offline making an appearance too. Much better update than the previous one

Great! Thanks for getting these features to us :) I’m sure folders is coming for the people asking for that. This clearly shows they’re listening to what we want! :)

14.1

Does it? It’s been two and a half years and they are still only putting in features the other team have. Nothing innovative.

14.2

@ Adam
The other team has been doing the same thing, they have been adding that the PS4 has been doing. It’s not a one sided issue

No folders? Come on…

Some good features that have been asked for but the ongoing lack of any home screen organisation is baffling. I’m also disappointed to see no improvements being made to the half-baked Communities which desperately need more features like the ability to reply to posts and for the list of active game sessions to actually work.

TehEmperorsHand 01 March, 2016 @ 11:38
16.1

Agreed. Communities should be accessible on mobile app too.

Great news about remote play, is there any news when PlayStation now will be available for tablet and pc please?

Appear Offline? About time!

Still missing folders and a way to re-arange the dashboard..

Losingthewill 01 March, 2016 @ 11:22

Wheres the Twitch app that was meant to be coming to PS4 and Vita? That was mentioned ages ago!

19.1

Didn’t it came out in eu still? 0_0
Because I downloaded it from my US profile fe months ago.

19.2

^ this!
We need EU twitch app!

Remote play is great. But yeah, we need folders or some kind of sorting options

I signed up for the beta, hopefully I can get in. I can’t wait for this update, looks awesome. :D

Really need folders, the 15 most used and then the remainder hidden in library isn’t enough. Got so many games, across PS2 releases, PS+ titles, physical releases and digital buys, that some form of organisation is required now

22.1

You can change the option so that it shows all your installed games rather than just 15 most used, its a tickbox in the setting :)

Nice Update

Golovanov-UK 01 March, 2016 @ 11:25

Still can’t manage/delete DLCs separately without deleting whole game?
Someone may just want to get rid of some uninteresting/cosmetic/finished DLCs without redownloading dozens of gigabytes of main game again.
And some games have hundreds DLCs (and Rock Band’s count is already over thousand).

Omegastoopreme 05 March, 2016 @ 07:04
24.1

thats my biggest complaint about the ps4 too. the HD is so small in relation to the size of the game installs its a total pain putting all the dlc for games back in so frequently as there just isnt room to leave your games installed like there was on the ps3.

If I could delete the game data but leave the DLC in like a lot of PS3 games can the issue wouldnt be as bad.

RenoRanes007 01 March, 2016 @ 11:26

Well that’s nothing too exciting, what about bigger party chats, that thing everyone’s been asking for since forever!

My update wishlist. I’m sure I have others but these simple additions would be a start.

1. Clean up and Organise Library
2. Rearrange Games & Apps on main menu
3. Custom Themes allowing for images from USB
4. Preview of Themes in PS Store before purchase
5. Ability to remove people from ‘Players You May Know’
6. PS Store Wishlist
7. (Longshot) Change PSN name. Mine sucks.

Oh and please get rid of the Discover notification for Power Options every time I log in.

26.1

Yeah , i want the change name…mine sucks too.

26.2

7 is confirmed and they’re working on it
1 & 2 are highly requested.

ManikwithaNine 02 March, 2016 @ 05:26
26.3

Yes, your psn name does suck, but it’s still better than my old psn name. I don’t think they’ll ever let us change it, that’s why I created a new account.

Show more replies

Who says that folders or other items questioned here are not coming. It clearly states “some of the key features”

Other features may be included but not mentioned.

27.1

I think that we shouldn’t have high hopes for this since they didn’t mentioned it.

Is this going to resolve the loss of connection to PSN messages when playing online?

Allow us put are trophy list in alphabetical order on ps4 ^_^

Great update. Thanks, Sony.
Please look into folders and deletion of unwanted content also :)

As a single player guy the friend notification and party stuff is of no interest. The roll out of remote play to PC/Mac is cool though. Shame it’s not part of the beta. Kinda kills the point of a PlayStation TV. I can now remote remote play to my PC in my bedroom instead.

Little_Ifrit 01 March, 2016 @ 11:53
31.1

Sure they’ve discontinued the PS TV anyway, so this is an alternative way to remote play for those that don’t have one.

31.2

The point of PlayStation TV was to play Vita games on a TV.

I was hoping to get video chat…

KANGladiator 09 March, 2016 @ 14:32
32.1

Me too they said that oovoo is coming to ps4 but it didn’t

griffin2015721 01 March, 2016 @ 11:36

I keep updating my ps4 to the latest software but whenever I play a game or halfway through it quits the game and comes up error occurred why this can u email me details at andrewriddell2015@gmail.com

33.1

How much free space do you have? Could be hard drive failure as well. Leaving your e-mail here makes no sense.

33.2

I doubt it’s HDD failure as i’ve had the same issue with recent updates.

I had at least 40GB free and it wouldn’t let me download a 7GB game.

It is a bug.

ManikwithaNine 02 March, 2016 @ 05:45
33.3

I get failed to download aswell sometimes, but I keep retrying til it works

How about up sizing on the Party Chats.
8 is a bit small is you need you whole clan in one chat.

CRYPT3C_W0LF 01 March, 2016 @ 14:57
34.1

agreed. Party size is far to small, and with spotty in-game chat support, bumping up the party size would be a very nice addition

night00walker 01 March, 2016 @ 11:40

I have two questions. First, for some games is easier to play with keyboard and mouse so will be able to use it on PS4?
Second, I have Logitech G27 steering wheel, whether I’ll ever be able to use it on PS4?
Thanks in advance.

Never by the looks of it. There used to be a petition somewhere to get them to update drivers for this but it got nowhere. Just so Sony can shift more thrustmasters.. Shame.

35.2

You CAN use the G27 but you will need to buy an adapter. You can buy the adapter on Ebay.

night00walker 01 March, 2016 @ 12:24
35.3

Thanks. Maybe Sony will make keyboards and mouse for PS4 and we will use it for play games, for example world of tanks, first person shooter games…

Show more replies

Mettete la funzione per selezionare tutti i messaggi ed eliminarli.. Selezionare un messaggio o notifica alla volta è preistorico

I’ll have a crack at translating that:

“Add the option to select all messages and delete them… Selecting one message or notification at a time is prehistoric”

Not sure for messages but I know we already the option to dismiss all notifications, just press the option button.

36.2

Not just prehistoric, but a step backwards. PS3 had the option to delete all and it was great. Ps4 just doesn’t have the seemingly obvious features that the ps3 did. Maybe by the time ps5 comes out there will be enough firmware patches to the ps4 to make it suitable. Of course by then, the OS will weigh like 40gigs

36.3

Meant to add you can’t remove all on ps4. Clearing your notifications has nothing to do with anything. Invitations and messages have to be individually deleted.

Appear offline is pretty sweet.

Please increase block list.
I can have 1000 “friends” but can only block 30 trolls??

Also, I don’t get the big deal with Appear offline – can you not just sign out of psn for the required period?

38.1

But then you couldn’t play online or do anything that requires internet connection.

FallingStickman 01 March, 2016 @ 11:49

Seriously, after more than 2 years the there’s still no way to manage your library?

39.1

I don’t see why people are so bothered by it. I have loads of games but they’re easy to find. They’re all listed alphabetically, and ones I have installed are shifted to the top.

Karma_Wangdu 01 March, 2016 @ 15:38
39.2

Definitelly should be there. I don’t understand people complaining, that we complain about no folders. No one forces you to use it. It’s huge help if you can put the games/apps into the folders. The big thumbnails are not very handy to scroll.

Appear offline!!?? YES :)

ollie_uk_2008 01 March, 2016 @ 11:54

Remote Play (PC/Mac) :O AMAZING ! =D

never been bothered about
Friend Online Notification& Appear Offline
but remote play is great gaming feature!

********

can we get a way to see which games are split screen , 2 player?

when people come over i sit there for 5 mins trying remeber which one are

and way to delete old Betas

***********

keep up the good work Sony !

Show full comment

Remote Play (PC/Mac) :O AMAZING ! =D

never been bothered about
Friend Online Notification& Appear Offline
but remote play is great gaming feature!

********

can we get a way to see which games are split screen , 2 player?

when people come over i sit there for 5 mins trying remeber which one are

and way to delete old Betas

***********

keep up the good work Sony !

jellyhedgehog 04 March, 2016 @ 11:33
41.1

“can we get a way to see which games are split screen , 2 player?
maybe a filter or a 2 player icon in the library in corner of games when enabled”
I’m sure this option is already available. It’s called “writing it down”

PermanentlyAngry 01 March, 2016 @ 11:55

While I’m sure many of these updates are great and super… custom folders… pleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssse!!! Come on Sony!!! Seriously, jesus, it’s 2016, let me organise my damn content already.

singularAnomaly 02 March, 2016 @ 11:56
42.1

Perfect gamer-tag bro! :p

42.2

And remove BETA that no longer apply to the library

While there are some good features being added, it utterly baffles me why simple features are missing from the system, features that were present on the PS3!
Please add the following ASAP:-
1) Option to sort games and apps into folders
2) Option to view trophies offline
3) Option to sort games on trophy list alphabetically

Also support for external HDD’s would be nice since I have a 2TB internal HDD that is nearly full!
Finally please update the Media Player app, it is a far inferior experience to the USB Music feature that the system was using before. Lately I just play music on my Xbox One because the Media Player is a far more enjoyable experience on Xbox than PlayStation.

43.1

External HDD’s open security risks and possibilities to pirate as people could have access to game files.

PSP was exploited through a save file.

Karma_Wangdu 01 March, 2016 @ 15:41
43.2

MaxDiehard – are you working for Sony? Why are you worried about that? ;) Not everyone want’s to pirate things. Do you? ;)

CluckNuggets 01 March, 2016 @ 23:09
43.3

So Nintendo can do it and Microsoft too but not Sony? Says a lot about their security abilities.

Show more replies

I was beginning to think PC remote play was only mentioned to scupper the kid that got it working on his own. Great news this is out soon.

Poisoned_Spear 01 March, 2016 @ 12:08

Great update. Thanks, Sony.

Finka_Karfein 01 March, 2016 @ 12:09

My wishlist:
– truly being able to disable all notifications (currently screenshots icon pops up destroying successive captures)
– wishlist for console PS Stores
– gifting options of digital goods on PS Stores
– automatic in-game translation (even Google Translate quality) for imported games (since there’s no region-lock and not every great title is localized)
– upgrading groups (for instance, replying to posts and a proper search engine)

Sereal_Killer 01 March, 2016 @ 12:34
46.1

i think all but the automatic ingame translation are fine.

if the game isnt available in your region and the developer doesnt have your language either learn the language or bother the devs to support your language.

There are many different ways that games my decide to use text and i dont think it is worth the amount of resources to create such a feature.

46.2

Gifting won’t happen due to regional restrictions. It’s out of their hands.

Finka_Karfein 01 March, 2016 @ 13:29
46.3

@Sereal_Killer
I’m trying but Japanese is quite hard to learn with kanji, grammar, dialects and the like.

@MaxDiehard
I’m not talking about cross-region gifting (although I’d very much like to be able to obtain Chrono Cross without creating fake accounts).

I’d like to be able to, for example, send Yakuza 5 to my friend in the same city registered for the same country as I am. That should be feasible, right? What other reason to include browsing our friends’ wishlists (especially when filled with digital-only stuff or DLC)?

PSN would just need to check if a given user is from a region where a given PS Store item is available and then allow me to proceed to the checkout. Doesn’t look like a very advanced process. But I’m not into coding so I’m rather the last person to tell if it’s that easy for the programmers :)

Show more replies
The-Real-Specter 01 March, 2016 @ 12:11

external hdd pleeeeeease

47.1

They wont coz they scared there system will get hacked lol

47.2

You can is called media player, I play movies from my external hdd

Hollow_Point 01 March, 2016 @ 12:21

Remote play on my mac is great news so my better half can watch TV while I game. Presumably there will be an easy way to pair a PS4 controller to a Mac/Pc too?

FINALLY! Appearing offline has been on my wishlist for years. Sometimes you just want to fly solo while still being online. Great news.

48.1

You can already pair a Dualshock 4. Just plug it in via USB.

I use it to play PC games.

Schedule download please…………………

How can I sign up to be apart of beta??

50.1

You can’t. The chance to sign up has already happened and is closed now.

Load all

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.