A brand new Monster Boy game is coming to PS4 this year

Wonder Boy creator Ryuichi Nishizawa returns for a new platforming adventure

We’re celebrating! 2016 marks the 30th anniversary of the beloved Wonder Boy series which started with a simple but solid arcade game developed by Escape (later known as Westone). The last game in the series was Monster World IV (1994) and it went silent for more than 20 years. Have you heard of it?

E3_2015_Mediakit_018

The return of a legend

We’re so excited to say that we’ve been able to team up with the series creator Ryuichi Nishizawa and revive it with our new game Monster Boy, which launches on PS4 this year. As a fan of the classic games and the Metroidvania genre, it felt unreal to be able to work on a new game which brings back the spirit of the series in every way possible.

We loved Wonder Boy III: The Dragon’s Trap a lot for its transformation feature, so we took it as the biggest inspiration. Monster Boy continues the colourful, side-scrolling adventure tradition with a character who can transform into different animal forms to solve puzzles and proceed in a connected (open) game world.

E3_2015_Mediakit_018

More than a spiritual successor

With the help of Ryuichi Nishizawa and LAT corporation licensing, we’ve gained access to the whole library of characters, graphics assets, sounds, and music from the entire Wonder Boy series.

While we’re creating a new experience targeting 1080p at 60 frames per second with hi-res 2D visuals, we’re happily bringing back our favourite monsters, music tracks and features of the classic games. We’re working hard to deliver a game that you will be able to fully enjoy as a fan of the series but also if you never heard of it.

E3_2015_Mediakit_018

OMG! Yuzo Koshiro, Motoi Sakuraba, Michiru Yamane!

When we started the game production two years ago, we would’ve never believed to be able to work with many personal childhood music heroes from Japan — we contacted them anyway and to our surprise they joined the team!

The music production is led by Yuzo Koshiro himself who is most famous for his music in Streets of Rage, Actraiser, Shinobi, and Ys. Furthermore, we worked with Motoi Sakuraba, Michiru Yamane, Keiki Kobayashi, Takeshi Yanagawa, and singer Haruka Shimotsuki. We believe music is so important for a great experience.

There are a lot of original tracks in Monster Boy, but we also re-arranged the most famous music tracks of the classic series. Last but not least, music tracks get their finishing touches by a real instrument recording session. It’s so cool.

We’re planning to finish the game production within Q2 this year — please stay tuned for an exact release date in 2016. Will you celebrate with us?

42 Comments
0 Author replies

Is there any chance of a Vita version?, dont misunderstood me, it´s great to have the wonder boy series back, but…. playing it on a vita its a natural fit… PS4 is far too powerful to be used on 2d arcades. It’s ok for cross buy, but the main plattform should be Vita

Anyway, thanks for bringing back such enjoyable game!

1.1

Vita is dead, it’s time to move on with your life. I hope you get what you want though.

1.2

Not to sound like a broken record, but I’d buy It In a heartbeat If It came to Vita…

reggyx3clover 04 March, 2016 @ 19:21
1.3

@Limario if Vita were dead then not a soul in this world is playing it right now. I also would love to play this game on my Vita not through remote play though

Show more replies

Woihoo! When I saw the blog update I was hoping for a date but Q2 is good enough for me :) can’t wait, keep up the great work ❤(ӦvӦ。)

Please bring this to Vita….. Too many made for Vita games are skipping straight to PS4!

DoYouLikeMyID 04 March, 2016 @ 15:16

I’ve never heard of this series before (the most recent game was released before I was even born :P) but I’m definitely interested in this game already. I just love this sort of use of vivid colours! :D

My reaction as soon as I saw the title and the picture: “OMG A NEW WONDER BOY?!”
And reading through I’m happy as Wonder Boy III The Dragon’s Trap was my favourite!
I had so much fun with that game growing up that I’m very happy to see this and I’ll definitely be grabbing a copy :)

Love the Wonder Boy series, really looking forward to this,

This is awesome news! I’m with mike_291990 on this Wonder Boy 3: The Dragon’s Trap on Mastersystem is amazing and one of my most fondly remembered games. This one looks like it could be great too.

I never expected this, but I am SO happy about it! I loved the Wonder Boy games back in the day on the old Sega Master System. They captured a real spirit of adventure and heart for the time – I really hope this version can bring that feeling back. It’s looking good.

HomessaHomem 04 March, 2016 @ 15:47

Great news! Any chance of a PS Vita version? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

I still revisit WB3:Dragons Trap occasionally. It’s only now after over 25yrs that I understand why WE5T ONE was used as a cheat in the password screen.

10.1

That was my first ever game when I was 3 1/2. I’m now 30, revisited it and got my backside handed to me in the ninja house bit. Such a great game!

X_Blood_Curse_X 04 March, 2016 @ 16:11

Not a fan of the art style. Looks really cheap :( Hope its good though

11.1

are you kidding me? check out the trailer too :D

Wait pardon me? That’s a first hahaha.

CluckNuggets 04 March, 2016 @ 16:16

Wow this looks great. It definitely looks better than my Master System. I’m going to buy this.

CluckNuggets 04 March, 2016 @ 16:20
12.1

P.S they should do Alex Kidd in Miracle World and Alex Kidd in Shinobi World too!

That’s Great news :) can’t wait to play it, I still own WonderBoy V Monster World 3 Japanese version for the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis

MATTressInsptr 04 March, 2016 @ 16:22

WOW I never thought I’d see a new Monster Boy game.. One of my favorites games. Have every old version.. Can’t wait :) http://www.myrsten.nu/spel/wonderboy/

Can’t wait!

A new Wonderboy style game, I’ve waited so long for this. Looking forward to it day one!

Best graphics ever! :) as a fan of older wonder boy games i can’t wait to play this.

EquilibriumStone 05 March, 2016 @ 04:17

I don’t really like manga style, my opinion. Apart from that, is this about wonderboy in monsterland? Because it looks different or with a twist this time..It would be nice to see a small change and keeping the art style similar to the classic yet of course remastered.

EquilibriumStone 05 March, 2016 @ 04:26

Very possible that i will get it anyway because it does reminds me of that game i mentioned but i guess it’s something i have missed. I don’t remember seeing the main character turn into monsters. More classic remakes is what people love. The classic games where epic, the list goes on ;)

Omegastoopreme 05 March, 2016 @ 06:57
19.1

yes its a new game in the wonderboy series.

19.2

The main character turn into monsters in Wonder Boy III: The Dragon’s Trap, the sequel to Wonder Boy in Monster Land.

During the prologue you actually fight the last boss in Monster Land, so the story continues right afterwards.

Really looking forward to this game!

Inafune needs to get up early to have a chance at best 2D 80’s franchise revival of 2016. Anyways, fantastic story of how the old team got together around this gem of a game – at least that is what it’s looking out to be.

I really look forward to play this game, it looks like a joy to play. That Wonder Boy III: The Dragon’s Trap for the SEGA Master System is one of my favorite childhood games helps too.

Talking of which, I was somewhat annoyed (but still grateful) when SEGA released 3 of the 4 Monster World games for the PS3 back in 2012. Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Wonder Boy in Monster World and Monster World IV; but no Wonder Boy III: The Dragon’s Trap!??? Argh, why!? I hope SEGA release it for the PS4 at some point, but I don’t think the chances for that happening are good.

Carnivius_Prime 06 March, 2016 @ 11:42

Looks nice but the HD 2D stuff just isn’t my thing. I far prefer quality pixel art such as that like the recent PS4 release of Shantae (which itself is a sort of spiritual successor to Wonderboy). Feels like in some screenshots here too much is fighting for my eye’s focus.

Unholy_Light 07 March, 2016 @ 11:44

For PS4… Really?!
Games like this, are great, but for PS Vita. Too many (and many are bad, really bad) indie games are released on PS4. I didn’t buy this console, to play 8 and 16-bit looking games.

First day buy for me if we see some vita love.

Oh, sweet! Sold! I used to play Wonder Boy In Monster Land every day after school in the nearby Tandy! I had forgotten that, but those screenshots brought it all back…!

theMightyAnt 09 March, 2016 @ 09:00

Fantastic news! I love Wonder Boy. WB III is still a favourite I replay

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history