PlayStation Plus in April: Zombi, Dead Star, Shutshimi, more

I Am Alive, A Virus Named Tom and Savage Moon complete the line-up

Hi everyone – we’re happy to announce the monthly games for April. Whether you’re looking to pilot a warship escaping from a dying star or survive zombie-infested London, we’ve got you covered.

First up we have Dead Star, a fantastic team-based space-shooter-meets-RPG that we are excited to have launch as a PS Plus title. Dreamed up by the folks at Armature Studio (founded by key members of the Metroid Prime team!), Dead Star is the result of a “wouldn’t it be cool if…” process that started with a space shooter foundation that builds in elements from strategy and RPG titles.

The result is a 20-player (yes, 10v10) online experience that’s both easy to pick-up-and-play and also offers a great deal of depth (skill trees, ship upgrades, team strategy, and more). Dead Star has been a big hit at shows like PSX and PAX, with players finding something really special in the game.

The second title this month is Zombi, a survival-horror FPS from the same Ubisoft studio that brought us Rayman and Beyond Good & Evil. Given that legacy it’s easy to see why this is such an intriguing title! The London setting combined with deliberately-paced gameplay really sets Zombi apart as something a little different within its genre. Add-in the extra challenge of the ‘permanent death’ feature and it’s easy to see why this game has become a cult favourite.

Here’s your full line-up of games for next month, launching on 5th April:

See you in the comments section. Enjoy.

246 Comments
0 Author replies

Click on one of the two comments below that corresponds better on how you feel about this ps+ update.
Please, click only one (and vote one time only), so that the results are representative of our feelings towards it. Thank you.

1.1

>> I enjoy this month’s ps+ update.

1.2

>> I don’t enjoy this month’s ps+ update.

spacedelete1 30 March, 2016 @ 17:15
1.3

i’m very happy with getting Zombi and thats the only game i’m interested in this month. overall better than i expected as i was expecting something worse like a 2D pixel game. PS3 offering is only decent with I am alive but Savage moon is mediocre and the Vita offerings is laughably bad as always as i have never even heard of them. basically i’m happy for once getting Zombi but i feel sorry for anyone who brought it.

Show more replies

Soooooo, Plus is just turning into a pass for online access?

2.1

For me, it always was a way to backup locked saves and getting better discounts :P

2.2

No you get 6 games for free every month :)

2.3

Will people like ANDROID-TM ever give up with the “free”claim?!? It is simple: if you have to pay to have access to something – IT IS NOT FREE.

Show more replies

What??! A game i actually considered buying is in the PS4 lineup? What trickery is this?! :-O THough the game is not that great and the rest of the lineup is pretty bad…again :-D

There is a glitch or something like that in Matrix…

I dont own any of these so thats a good start. Two brand new games for Vita and I am quite pleased.

StevenJamesHyde 30 March, 2016 @ 16:51
4.1

Shutshimi isn’t brand new, it’s been out since August last year

4.2

Shutshimi has been on PC for about 97 years

4.3

@StevenJamesHyde: As has A Virus Named Tom. What I meant say was: “Two brand new games, for Vita, and I m happy. Except I am less happy now as I realised I got Virus named Tom in a humble bundle years ago, and it wasn’t very good. Oh well Shutshimi has good reviews.

Great lineup this month, Almost bought Zombi a few weeks ago.

well… another dissappointing month, games with gold put a shame on IGC, zombi it’s a second rate game, and that’s the best they offer… ps3 lineup is a laugh… old digital games not so good either, it seems ps3 finally ran out of lack.

What you do with vita is worth a piece of hell for all sony’s managers in charge of this depised hand held…

well… when the supscriptions ends, I will buy a XBO

6.1

Microsoft have to offer a better line up than Sony as they’re so far behind. They’re probably doing it at great cost and great risk in a desperate hope to reduce their losses this generation. You can’t realistically expect Sony to offer the same sort of line up. If you want to move to Xbox for their superior free games catalogue, so be it, but once they see an increase in their console sales their free games line up will fall in quality I assure you. You do the community a disservice by comparing the two, as it results in Sony offering poor AAA FPS games like Zombi, instead of actual decent quality indie games which a large portion of PS4 gamers are perfectly happy with.

Nightmareofkaito 30 March, 2016 @ 18:13
6.2

Don’t blame you, wolf among us xbox one, dead space xbox 360, sunset overdrive Xbox one and saints row 4 for the Xbox 360, I’m glad my subs up this month won’t renew till gtav ps3 is free or better games for ps4 are added that I actually want.

Kinky_Friedman 30 March, 2016 @ 18:47
6.3

@Basquilly It is not a disservice to point out the dearth of quality on PS+ in relation to the competition. Sony are currently resting on their laurels and they need to be told about it.

Show more replies

No thanks.

Games with Gold this month on Xbox One: Sunset Overdrive and The Wolf Among Us with Dead Space and Saints Row 4 as Xbox backwards compatible titles.

Sony gives us this indie garbage and no PS3 backwards compatibility, time to swap consoles everyone?

7.2

Off to 720P glory…

LordBattleBeard 31 March, 2016 @ 07:40
7.3

@whistletom There comes a point when pixel adoration and forever reliving old battles wears thin. Something tells me that time is fast approaching.

Show more replies
supersmith2500 30 March, 2016 @ 16:37

Finally! Shutshimi is getting a EU release!

Also, much better line-up than March.

CoolRichy007UK 30 March, 2016 @ 21:59
8.1

Becareful how you spell that :D

I am Alive ? That game was free on last month’s Plus.

9.1

… what are you talking about?

9.2

That was “The last guy”

I do believe it was a mistake on the US ps+.

Show more replies
fps_d0minat0r 30 March, 2016 @ 16:39

Half decent but still pales in comparison to games with gold.
They got wolf among us and sunset overdrive.

10.1

fps_d0minat0r 31 March, 2016 @ 09:36
10.2

Thats short term thinking.
PS4’s success is based on all the ‘costs’ that Sony paid during the PS3 gen, on which they are now getting a return.

What will really ‘cost’ Sony is allowing MS to finish respectably this gen and have more momentum going into next gen and gaining back returns for what you are refering to as ‘costs’.

You are doing consumers a disservice by looking from the perspective of businesses designed to squeeze as much cash out of us as possible.

“instead of actual decent quality indie games which a large portion of PS4 gamers are perfectly happy with”
If that were true, they wouldnt have removed the official poll and they would proudly boast about the download numbers.
Last time there was a poll on what people wanted, RPG, action adventure and shooters came out on top:

Show full comment

Thats short term thinking.

I’d still take a second rate AAA which I’d atleast download and try over a second rate indie game which I wouldnt even spend 10p on the humble bundle or Google play for.

jah_92_rastafari 02 April, 2016 @ 10:11
10.3

I agree that I personally prefer xbox’s line up most weeks but at the same time I can see Sony’s thinking behind it, I guess they think that it’s better to give a new or New-ish indie game worth £20 than an old game worth a tenner

Yeah, for me it’s nice, as I have PS3, PS4 and Vita as well, but I guess someone with one or two consoles will be disappointed. I don’t mind not having AAA titles, as long as the games will be good (we’ll see.)

11.1

Good point. I forget that some only have one or maybe two of these consoles. I feel those of us with all three consoles get it pretty good. 72 games a year for 70 bucks is pretty good.

ziggy-mandias 30 March, 2016 @ 17:01
11.2

Atm I’ve the PS4 and Vita. And still think Sony are having a laugh…. I don’t understand why sony fail to put decent retail game on ps4 and ps3 then a cross buy game so that it goes on all 3 systems. I noticed how I dint put the vita in the list for retail games that’s because Sony fail to support the thing properly.

spacedelete1 30 March, 2016 @ 17:18
11.3

i’m just happy getting a game on PS4 that isn’t a 2D indie game.

Savage moon goes for less than 8 bucks (Aud) and its dlc is 6 dollars. Maybe throwing us the whole lot might actually seem less cheap Sony.

12.1

Value of last year IGC was over 1000$ for 60$ subscription and you are complaining because you don’t get a 6$ DLC, wow.
Also, by PSN price, this is (almost?) the price that your subscription costs, in one month.

You are an example of how people find things to complain about even when they got what they wanted (retail games in the PS+). Even by getting Knack or Killzone, we’ll see people saying the month is garbage because X or Y -_-.

12.2

it’s the principle, not the price…

12.3

also, 60 dollars? what?

Show more replies
AlexTheStampede 30 March, 2016 @ 16:42

Zombie U is a great game, pretty happy about that.

supersmith2500 30 March, 2016 @ 16:44
13.1

I happen to have it on Wii U. But never played it.

ziggy-mandias 30 March, 2016 @ 17:04
13.2

Yeah I read it was great on the WiiU but without the wiiu gamepad the game was not that great. Zombi is a step in the right direction but its no wolf among us or lords of the fallen is it.

I have Zombi U on wii-u as well seemingly the wii-u version is better than ps4 Zombi. The PS4 is a port of the wii-u version. About the only thing you can say about it is people will be able to play it that don’t have a Wii-u

So I’m guessing it’s a Ubisoft month as I Am Alive is also Ubisoft. I remember years and years ago it was suppose to have a retail release but never did. This was before all those earthquake survival games were removed from sale in Japan after the 11th of March earthquake.

E3 should be interesting (waits patiently for Nintendo NX news) and the realisation that the PS4 will probably just become a blu-ray player or chocolate teapot like ps vita tv and the vita and plus and pretty much anything that reeks of Sony.

Good month, always value PS+. Has introduced me to some great games I never would have played over the years. Always appreciate free games!

14.1

Always appreciate “free” games! Fixed that for you.

14.2

They’re not free if you’re paying for a service. I am not sure why you and others have this misconception.

14.3

@drunk Maybe because the IGC is reminiscent of the shovelware you find for free on phones? :p
Yea, I went there :)

I Am Alive and Zombi for me this month, thanks!

X_Blood_Curse_X 30 March, 2016 @ 16:44

Rubbish. Can I atleast assume these games will run okay this month? Unlike Broforce

16.1

I’d like this comment 1000 more times if I could. Tried to tackle the end boss of Broforce last night and couldn’t manage it due to all the performance issues.

Broforce has performance issues on PS4? I thought that game would run flawlessly on a on Sega Megadrive..

THEKILLER07742 02 April, 2016 @ 12:13
16.3

Yeah bro force had terrible performance issues, however I only experienced them online with friends.

Nice lineup! I already have I Am Alive, but Shutshimi and Zombi are the games will definitely play, and A Virus Namd Tom I think :)

MadMan_Matt_ 30 March, 2016 @ 16:45

Not really any excuses now for lineups like this having seen Xbox’s offerings the last few months. Nearly every month now it’s an indie arcade shooter and something else. LBP was £8 the other day on the store, might as well have made a statement given that away

So you’re expecting more for your hard earned £3.33 per month?

18.2

When you consider how many thousands maybe millions subscribe to ps plus, that £3.33 turns into a heck of a lot of money. So yes we deserve better for our loyalty.

18.3

Show more replies

I Am Alive is a great game. Don’t miss it.

法国人你好再见

2 days before April Fools, you nearly got me there! Nice try! Or maybe… no, you wouldn’t!?!?

I can’t believe they used to warn us of that, they wouldn’t do that anymore though, it makes too much sense.

ZombieMeat666 30 March, 2016 @ 16:47

Fuming!! I’m sick of you putting games on sale then giving them away free not long after. It’s every month now. I told everyone I guarantee you ZOMBI will be next months plus game. well what a surprise. I really hate you Sony

spacedelete1 30 March, 2016 @ 17:22
21.1

this is why you never buy anything that has even the remote chance of going free. this is why i only buy stuff like COD and Battlefield because the chance of either going free is zero. stop buying games it will be cheaper and better value for you if you just live off the free games.

21.2

They used to at least watm you if that was going to happen.

Unsurprisingly it’s just another communication they can’t be bothered with anymore.

21.3

*warn

Mmmmm its ok-ish, i suppose, but tbh X1 has beat it yet again when you consider Sunset Overdrive a much better quality game than Zombi, also xboxs real backwards compatible capability, meaning ill get to play Dead Space on top… So yea X1 for April….

Bgjknpqswvyu 30 March, 2016 @ 16:48

People moaned for months that they wanted “retail games” cos indies aren’t good enough apparently so when they finally put one on, some still aren’t satisfied. And you wonder why the blog staff don’t engage with us anymore?

ZombieMeat666 30 March, 2016 @ 16:57
23.1

Well yea it’s annoying when the game was just on sale cheap to make you buy it… so they could make more money then announce its on plus… It’s every month now they put games on plus that were just on sale. Very cheeky

X_Blood_Curse_X 30 March, 2016 @ 16:59
23.2

If you’re on about Zombi, it’s a mediocre Wii U launch title that was on sale like a month ago for £6.

Oh how they spoil us -.-

23.3

Blood… it was (is?) part of this years easter sale.

Show more replies

It’s not a brilliant month and of course GWG is way better but at least us PS4 players for once get a 3D game. Only the second one since the legendary month of July 2015 (Styx & Rocket League).
That’s the kind of lineup I would get behind if it would be surrounded by two even better months.

Might play 2 out the 6. Nearly bought zombi couple times. Thankfully I got a backlog. Any possibility of good child friendly games on ps3 for plus as my sons plus use has been fairly poor except for backing up saves

“See you in the comments section. Enjoy.” Is Sony secretly trolling us? They knew that this month’s PS+ would still get a lot of flack.

logged in to congratulate Sony for the first time this year ;) really liking the choice for PS4, Zombi is a really good one and I might pass some time with Dead Star too.

<3 some love for Sony ;) and credit when it's due

Jeff-Andrew-NL 30 March, 2016 @ 17:01

Another trippy space shooter! Yay!!!!…………………..

MrPrikklefinger 05 April, 2016 @ 08:58
28.1

Don’t judge a book. Dead Star is more of a MOBA type Conquest game. It actually looks great. Sure it’s a twin stick shooter, bit it’s not trippy. It’s a tactical game with 10v 10 multiplayer. Look closer.Google it.

MrPrikklefinger 05 April, 2016 @ 09:03
28.2

I don’t see many comments here about Dead Star. It’s unfortunate, but it looks like many have seen the screenshot and assumed it’s another crazy twin stick shooter. It isn’t. It’s more of a Multiplayer Online Battle Arena with tactical elements and a spot of RPG. It’s a game that needs teamwork and so much deeper than a side scrolling button mash.

Don’t miss this game by assuming it is something it’s not. Google the game, it might be the best thing on PS plus this year.

I think is time to reduce the ps3 and vita games to one per month and boost the games offers.
Also, why so many shoot’em up, last month Galak Z this month Dead Star…

29.1

I don’t think it will be long before this happens, as they seem to be running out of ideas, but I seriously doubt the ps4 games would improve in quality anytime soon, they got ur cash, they know you have to pay for online play so don’t care at all

This is a great month in my opinion. However I have all them titles except for the Vita ones. Still Zombi is a good game and is a retail title that cost millions to make. This is what everyone wanted right?

30.1

Zombi is a retail title? News to me.

I had it on wii u – terrible stuff, died in a matter of seconds it was so dark, i turnex it off and sold it. Im hoping not having a gamepad will help.

It’s quite obvious by now.Sony wants to give a boost to software sales… especially on new releases.
By avoiding giving away big AAA titles a lot of people will actually get to use their wallets to buy the new releases instead of skipping them for another time because they could get their AAA “fix” for free out of PS+.
In April there is Dark souls III and in May where the IGC will get worse, Uncharted 4….see how that goes?

spacedelete1 30 March, 2016 @ 17:31
31.1

pretty much this. whenever theres a month with AAA games releasing it means the offering will be even worse than usual. so for example when Uncharted releases the free games get even worse and this won’t improve until the hype dies down but by then PS VR will release meaning they won’t give good free games until this time next year.

Most AAA games can be picked up 6 months to a year later for next to nothing new. I bought I Am Alive on release years ago and Savage Moon was released in 2009. It’s pretty poor for PS3 (as I Am Alive has been on sale numerous times and like The Last Guy is something most people interested in would have bought many years ago. I have Zombi (ZombiU wii-u version) and I’ll reserve judgment on the other PS4 title and vita ones.

I guess I should be grateful as it means time to play more of my backlog of games and Nights of Azure when it arrives.

I couldn’t get into Zombi for it’s atrocious running mechanics. You need to hold L3 in order to run – no, I don’t want to ruin my gamepad, thanks.

Sony you’ve let your rivals beat you at your own game again. Come on guys sort it out. An instant games collection was your invention. It’s embarrassing for you.

HallawMickey 30 March, 2016 @ 17:09

There is nothing more in life that i dream of than getting IOS ports and games that nobody has ever heard from.
Money well spent on PS Plus for yet another month :)

Carnivius_Prime 30 March, 2016 @ 17:10

Ah well, nothing this month that particularly appeals to me and that’s the first time in ages. Have had hours of fun with Broforce though. Loved that and now playing in multiplayer which is even more frantic chaos and fun. :D

I remember when I used to feel so much excitement wondering what the next IGC games would be, then the blast I would have playing them.

Please Sony put the fun back into PlayStation plus. I have faith in you

Ah great, Zombi, a game I wasn’t interested in when it was on sale for a few bucks just recently, or is it still on sale? Really don’t care.
And did I understand that right, Dead Star is mainly a multiplayer only game? Again? Would make it the second really don’t care.
Got enough to play at the moment, anyways.

What’s up with Persona 5 in Europe? Anything?

Oh, and when will my PS4 play regular audio cd’s? It’s uncomfortable to unplug the 4, plug the 3 just to listen to some music. Spotify you say? PlayStation Music? Aaaah, supporting audio cd’s is bad for business. Yeah.

SaftschubseRay 30 March, 2016 @ 17:13

i cri evrytiem

Ghostmaker1005 30 March, 2016 @ 17:14

Sigh…….I suppose that it’s something that they have put a game on ( Zombi) that doesn’t look like it was released back in the 80’s, but they have gone for a game that looks like it was released in the 90’s

Not sure if i will bother again this month either.

Decent line up of games. Happy that none of the ps4 and ps3 games are 8-bit side scrollers!

tenshi_alpha 30 March, 2016 @ 17:16

My PS+ ran out last month. I was thinking “I guess I’ll re-subscribe next month, there’s bound to be something good”.

But for the first time, even as an indie game fan, there’s nothing there this month that makes me want to re-subscribe.

Oh well, I’ll be back in May? Perhaps?

Me too. Zombi and I Am Alive look ok but vita games look gash. Tbh I have enough unopened games to play anyway and probably wont re-sub until I’ve finished UC4.

Oh yeah! Wiiu game in ps plus, what an exclusive content!

“As a lifelong gamer, I love seeing the evolution of the medium. In the last several years, we’ve seen lots of experimentation with the blending of genres and this month’s PS4 titles are shining examples of this kind of rich, layered gaming experience.”

What lol, evolution of the medium…you mean devolution of the quality..
And lots of experimentation… It’s nearly the same stuff over and over, indie shooters,indie platforms, indie shooters with platforms, twin stick shooters, and not to mention one chapter of an episodic game..
Did someone at Sony make you write this to try and justify the poor quality of the games
Shame you can’t listen and improve like your competition has

kratos_tayfun 30 March, 2016 @ 17:22

As a Sony fan I would like to say this. Once Yoshida-San said: ” I like indies, they are fun to play and creative.” YET 2 days ago he was playing Dark Souls 3 on his ps4 and earning trophies. So What are we getting ? Some garbage and bunch of indies… I like Zombi but already got it. Dead Star ? it’s a multiplayer indie. For ps3 games ? They’re 8 years old god’s sake and not AAA. For Vita ? I didn’t even hear their names before… If you can’t give decent titles, just give it up Sony…

44.1

It’s times like this I wish I could downvote on this site

kratos_tayfun 30 March, 2016 @ 19:59
44.2

you’re right mate, we don’t want AAA titles every month but even indies are garbage. Why should I play Dead Star ? it’s look like multiplayer version of Super stardust. I swear to God, If it’s not for Division, Rainbow 6 Siege, Star Wars and other multi games I wouldn’t renew plus until it gives some decent titles…

counterUAVbaby 30 March, 2016 @ 20:19
44.3

@kratos_tayfun He actually wanted to downvote you.

Show more replies

Oh, and what exactly are Shutshimi and A Virus Named Tom. Neither the blog post nor the little trailer say anything about them…bad blog, bad, bad blog. Now sit.

The best line up in months at long last. Very happy customer! I have zombi on the Wii U and although not a great game it is very enjoyable and I am looking forward to giving it a go on the PS4.

Yet again we get crap games, they really need to hire some new people who knows what the gamers want.
I just platinumed Zombi just today…. and i hated every minute of that game.
Gotta love how the zombies just swing in the air infront of you just swinging not hitting but you still get hurt.

CoolRichy007UK 30 March, 2016 @ 21:58
47.1

Why dont sony set up a what games ppl want each month for ps plus insted of picking the worst games for us i bet sony is ran by monkeys lol

Because that would make far too much sense Richy.

ZombieMeat666 30 March, 2016 @ 17:34

I just don’t understand how you can put games on sale then put them on plus. I mean you knew ZOMBI would be this month’s PS4 game so you thought oh let’s put it on sale cheap so people will buy it so we can make money before its on plus…. So far I’ve predicted 2 at least 2 games every month this year… You will put them on sale at the cheapest they have been then put them on plus.. Next months plus games will have recently been on sale… I’m saying RIDE, Alien Isolation, Black Flag, Rogue, will be on plus next month or month after. You watch

It’s more likely that it will be Knack. Can’t see it going any lower than £5.79 on the store. Surely anyone who really wanted it would have bought at this price.

bluemoon1987 30 March, 2016 @ 17:35

Not a bad month at all, but it doesn’t make up for the months of drivel we’ve had.

Zombi is a decent title to offer. It’s a game that has got my attention a few times but never tempted me enough to buy it. Dead star doesn’t interest me but i can appreciate it’s a new title and i’ll give it a try. The problem is, they’re more support titles. To use a restaurant analogy, it’s like going for a 3 course meal and only ordering from the starters menu. They may well be very nice starters but you’re not getting the variety and sustenance a main meal (A Triple A title) offers.

Speaking as someone who owns all 3 systems I also think it’s about time you dropped the ps3 support, as the titles on offer are substandard at best and perhaps restrict the Vita offerings to just the cross play titles. Then maybe go with 3 ps4 titles with at least 1 being a vita/ps4 cross play title. That way you can use the money saved to ensure the titles on offer are of a sufficient standard.

49.1

I played ZombiU , was quite good. Well I’ll see what the port is like , but I know it’s missing a fun 2-player mode

Annoys me that i have switched from ps3 to ps4 over a year and a half ago and I still get ps3 games that i will never download/play as i have moved on.

Can u either give us another game for those who no longer want ps3 games or lower the subscription or something.
I would say remove the vita aswell but the difference being its a portable & its newer than PS3

And how exactly are they to tell who wants only ps4? I own all three as do a lot of people. What about what we want? The platforms aren’t dead so why stop supporting them in plus? Can’t just ignore a large customer base because of what you want.

Load all

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history