Shadow of the Beast release date announced

Aarbron’s brutal PS4 adventure begins on 17th May

Hi PlayStation Blog readers. We’ve finally reached the point where we have to stop putting things into the game – the last tweaks to combat have been made and the final Easter eggs are hidden for you to find. So now we are focused solely on fixing bugs and getting Shadow of the Beast ready to appear on PlayStation Store.

We have been working closely with Sony to find the best time to release and now we have a definitive release date: 17th May 2016.

SOTB_PS4_Gun04+Logo
SOTB_PS4_Gun04+Logo
SOTB_PS4_Gun02+Logo

Our small team has been using the extra time to the fullest – we’ve been able to push the game to a solid 60fps throughout, something we feel passionate about as fans of the fighting genre. With the increased response time that comes with this we’ve been fine tuning the combat experience even more; upgrading Aarbron to the full extent of his abilities and equipping him with some of the mystic artefacts that you find will really add much more depth to the gameplay. It feels quite different to other combat-adventure games, but hopefully people will find it very rewarding!

Just before we go, we’d like to share a few new screenshots from the game, including one that reveals a feature we haven’t talked about yet – the gun!

SOTB_PS4_Gun03+LogoSOTB_PS4_Gun02+LogoSOTB_PS4_Gun01+Logo
SOTB_PS4_Gun04+LogoSOTB_PS4_Gun03+Logo
SOTB_PS4_Gun03+Logo
SOTB_PS4_Gun01+Logo

Finally, we are also very excited to be able to reveal exclusively here on PlayStation Blog that pre-ordering will net you a fantastic free dynamic theme featuring a brand new original creature designed by acclaimed artist Roger Dean! Roger was the creator of the cover art for the original Shadow Of The Beast game and its sequel, so it’s a massive honour to have him revisit the universe with our game!

Here’s a sneak peek preview image of what you can expect….

SOTB_Roger Dean Theme_Preview1SOTB_Roger Dean Theme_Preview2SOTB_Roger Dean Theme_Preview4
SOTB_Roger Dean Theme_Preview2
SOTB_Roger Dean Theme_Preview1
SOTB_Roger Dean Theme_Preview4

If all that has you interested, then the game is available to pre-order on PlayStation Store now – and with the new dynamic theme you can fully immerse yourself in the world of Karamoon when the game arrives on 17th May 2016!

Thanks for taking the time to read about our game, it is genuinely appreciated!

27 Comments
8 Author replies

I’ve had this pre-ordered since the end of last year, it’s great to see it now has a final release date :D

Mark O'Connor 30 March, 2016 @ 19:04
1.1

We are happy to officially announce the release date, not too long to wait until you get your hands on it.

warensembler83 30 March, 2016 @ 16:11

Very bad release timing for me (too many games in April/May I want to play for sure), but the game looks great. I’ll definitely give it a go a bit after that period.

PiccoroDaimaoh 30 March, 2016 @ 16:11

Yeah, I also pre-ordered last year. And I don’t mind waiting if the delay is for improving the game.
Keep up the good work!

Mark O'Connor 30 March, 2016 @ 19:07
3.1

As mentioned in the post, we have made the most of the development time and made sure we release the best possible game….can’t wait for everyone to play!!

Looks great, and £11.99 is a good price!
Was just about to pre-order to show my support when I saw that it’s released the week after Uncharted 4?
Who’s idea was that?
Pretty sure I won’t be done with Drake’s final adventure in seven days…

Easter eggs??????

Just Pre-Ordered. First time I have ever done that.

Mark O'Connor 30 March, 2016 @ 19:19
5.2

You will just have to explore and find out what we are talking about….

Carnivius_Prime 30 March, 2016 @ 17:13

Had this pre-ordered since it first could be and delays have been disappointing but understood. Looking forward to it and Roger Dean theme is always welcome. :)

Mark O'Connor 30 March, 2016 @ 19:10
6.1

Great that we can finally announce what the pre-order theme was all about, getting Roger involved with the theme is something we wanted to make happen.

Will this be released to other platforms (i.e. PC) or is this a real PS4 exclusive?

Mark O'Connor 30 March, 2016 @ 19:25
7.1

PS4 Exclusive.

Hoping the Easter Eggs include original Shadow of the Beast and maybe the sequel’s. High hopes for this but a release so close to Uncharted 4 seems bad idea to me. I have it preordered but this could be victim of Uncharted’s undoubted success

Awesome looking forward to this! I still have my boxed amiga original in mint condition!

Mark O'Connor 30 March, 2016 @ 19:16
9.1

Glad to hear you are taking care of the classic, the PS4 version should bring back some awesome memories and make some new ones!!

Have very fond memories of the original Amiga game, gonna pre-order this.

Tsukuyomi_Moon89 30 March, 2016 @ 19:22

This looks truly amazing, I hope the music in the game will be as eerie as it was back on Amiga, those tunes gave me nightmares for ages!

Mark O'Connor 30 March, 2016 @ 19:22

@5.1 – Pre-ordering a digital title is a fairly new thing on the store, hopefully more will follow your lead?

I have preordered the game a while ago. I’ll be sure to download the theme when it is available. Best of luck with releasing the game.

Mark O'Connor 30 March, 2016 @ 19:37

As we grew up with the original game we totally get that the music is a very important part, we are working with the very talented Ian Livingstone to help create something special for game…..there may be a few other surprises as well!?!

Millsyboy_84 30 March, 2016 @ 19:37

I cannot wait. Will the theme be sent via codes once released? You should really look at promoting your twitter account and follow @yosp and playstation. There are many fans out there :)

Just yesterday I shoved the A600 downstairs and hooked it up, and I played Beast I, II, and III and I was wondering when this remake will come out, and voila! Glad I preordered too, can’t wait.

I hope you can remake the 2nd and 3rd games. I love them all!

Soo … it’s a 2D sidescroller, a genre that was at its peak in 1985, about walking to the right and repetitively tapping square with a totally un-relatable/uninteresting protagonist when there’s an enemy for 5 hours straight. That’s it.

Your game is bad and you should feel bad.

17.1

It’s not a top down twin stick shooter, or a pixel art platformer.
You should go play CoD or FIFA and keep your hateful, ill informed rants to yourself.

That theme looks immense! Preordering now. Damn, I must have put countless hours into the original on the C64 back in the day, the soundtrack is still one of my favourites.

Mark O'Connor 31 March, 2016 @ 00:45
18.1

Hopefully you can put in the same amount of hours on the PS4 version!!! Stay tuned for future updates on the soundtrack also.

dio_tsirigotis 31 March, 2016 @ 01:11

Wait a minute. This has been available to pre-order for months now. On the Greek PSN store at least.

Shadow Beast Turkish Language ?

Mark O'Connor 01 April, 2016 @ 12:38
20.1

No Turkish language unfortunately.

doomster1971 31 March, 2016 @ 15:13

I’ve had this pre-ordered since January. I am so looking forward to it. I love the first two. I’m hoping it’ll be a Metroid style game but still faithful to the original series. Here’s hoping

Rob_Velocity 31 March, 2016 @ 15:45

Just pre-ordered after watching this – first time I’ve ever done so for a digital title. I remember being blown away by the Amiga version way back when and this looks like it’ll more than do it justice.

I don’t understand why newcomers get so psyched up.

This looks and sounds *nothing* like the original Amiga masterpiece.

This very game is THE game that had me the most excited about the PS4 before the console was even released. I remember watching the reveal at the Sony Conference before we even knew what the console looked like and I recognised straight away that the game was Shadow of the Beast. Then we heard nothing for about 18 months, thought it had been cancelled, was gutted. Then here we are two and a half years later and finally I get an official release date. Can not wait, thank you for bringing back a classic for a modern day audience and for giving me a little bit of my childhood back. Uncharted 4 is highly anticipated which I’ll buy day one, but it will take a backseat when this is released.

game not showing in PlayStation®Store US?
btw is it a rumor or fact the game also features a Sony VR mode?
Anyway the themes look awesome! Can’t wait to hear the new soundtrack from David Whittaker! :)

@Rebmahc
I hear you! this very game is the sole reason I bought a PS4 as soon as I did it got delayed. lol :P

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history