Uncharted 4: First Hands-on Report

Fresh Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End gameplay footage – plus first impressions as we go hands-on in Madagascar

Recently, Naughty Dog gave some nice people the opportunity to play a brief demo of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End. Luckily, they invited me too! Here’s a full playthrough of the demo, but be sure to read on afterwards for my thoughts.

First things first: the scope of Uncharted 4’s gameplay and exploration appears to be far, far larger than prior games in the series. Naughty Dog is describing this new approach as “wide linear,” and it allows for more freewheeling navigation without sacrificing the narrative-driven pacing the studio is famous for. Compared to past Uncharted games, Uncharted 4’s world feels truly huge and, well, uncharted.

It’s beautiful, too. Everywhere I looked, I saw the fingerprints of Naughty Dog’s unmistakable artistry. While navigating a rented 4×4 up a perilous mountain trail, the tyres dislodged rocks that tumbled down the hillside. Eep! Later, I slipped on a dirt hill and Drake’s jeans and shirt glistened with mud.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Speaking of Drake, the veteran thief has never looked — or moved — better. After dropping from a tall height, he stumbles awkwardly; while pulling a winch, he smoothly passes the cable to his other hand when he changes direction; he even shifts gears in his 4×4 at the appropriate times. These tiny details stack up over time, steadily creating an illusion that you’re somehow controlling a real guy on a very ill-advised adventure. It’s uncanny.

DN_011 DN_020DN_CO-OP_004
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

In the demo I played, Nate, Sam, and Sully navigated the treacherous backroads of Madagascar searching for outposts where legendary pirate Henry Avery may have hidden his treasure. At any point in the demo, I was able to hop out of the 4×4 to investigate ruins or search for collectible treasures scattered throughout the sprawling landscape.

One detail I loved: When I left Sam and Sully in the 4×4, I listened to them trade quips and compare notes on treasure hunting as I prowled off in search of loot. Uncharted 4 is plastered with these tiny bits of narrative wallpaper, and based on what I played, the game is immeasurably richer for it.

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End lands exclusively on PS4 on May 10 — if this demo was any indication, it’s gonna be one hell of a ride.

36 Comments
0 Author replies

I think the game is going to be amazing and all but first impressions from a Sony employee don’t really mean a whole lot…it’s not like you’re allowed to say anything negative about the game

European_Gamer 04 April, 2016 @ 15:22

I will not watch anymore trailers for Uncharted 4 and Final Fantasy XV. Why? Because I know I’m going to buy the games and I don’t want to ruining any special moments in the game.

I hope you haven’t played the FFXV demo then, it’s utterly diabolical and frankly not worthy of the franchise.

Not sure what the person above me was smoking but definitely play the demo especially because you’ll get an extra unlock for the main game and it doesn’t spoil anything.

2.3

MikLSP did you play the first demo Episode Duscae? if you have then you know that the Platinum Demo isn’t what FFXV is about, it is set in a dreamscape and is designed to give you an idea of the battle system. In duscae you get to use summons and ride chocobos too, it’s fantastic. Maybe you should play it.

Show more replies

I absolutely cannot wait.

StevenJamesHyde 04 April, 2016 @ 15:49

Looks good, but I can’t help but think releasing a plucky little no-hoper like this directly in between big-hitting exclusives like No Man’s Sky and Ratchet & Clank might see it sink without trace ;)

4.1

Have you ever heard about Uncharted before?… I mean… if the “4” in the title isn’t any indication for you. And even more… No Man’s Sky is not a ps4 exclusive…Uncharted is, Don’t know about you…but I would never in my life trade Uncharted for something like No Man’s sky….

If you ask me… No Man’s Sky is the one in danger…it promises a lot…and a lot of people are gonna hold back for a while, wait some reviews before buying it. But Uncharted is not new…and we know that it can deliver what it promises.

My 2 cents, have a nice day ^^

StevenJamesHyde 04 April, 2016 @ 21:10
4.2

No, never heard of it. I assume the name “Uncharted” comes from the fact that it has never, ever appeared on any “charts” before, such as those of bestselling or top-rated games?

On an unrelated note – just how obviously not serious does one have to be on the internet before people stop replying with variations on “wow, are you serious?!!?!?”

I know this is full sarcasm but I wouldn’t laugh about Ratchet and Clank, it is most likely gonna be a very good game and pretty solid in terms of sales too.

Show more replies
counterUAVbaby 04 April, 2016 @ 16:17

Oh really? Are there any negatives?! Are you allowed to point them?! Just imagine what would happen to this guy if he pointed negatives about the game! :)

Reviews from employees in the game or in the company that a game is housed in, doesn’t count!

That would be like pointing out the negatives of the Last of Us Spoilers!, there are none.

This looks amazing – I can’t wait. Everything Naughty Dog have ever done has been outstanding and this looks like they’ve set a new benchmark.

Can we please!!! Get the demo

Will you guys patch the game for the upcoming PS4 as well? a.k.a PS4.5

zalwelgoedgaan 04 April, 2016 @ 17:36

Sony employee says that Sony-funded game will be awesome. Cool article.

How about releasing the demo for the players themselves to judge, other than sitting on a wall of Sony bias? The PlayStation Blog is hardly going to say anything negative about the experience.

An opinion piece by Sony about a Sony exclusive game.

This article has a lot of merit and is not a worthless pile of bias excrement at all.

ferenzzz1971 04 April, 2016 @ 22:23

o m g !!! :P

I just came

*home

It looks just awesome, that game is the main reason I bought a PS4!!

abdiheroboss 06 April, 2016 @ 13:02
12.1

amazing -_-

It’s just silly how good the graphics are in this game…but please stop showing it.

abdiheroboss 05 April, 2016 @ 12:27
13.1

it is amazing man!!

That was awesome!
Hopefully you can turn off those yellow outlines around enemies…not a fan of that…but otherwise im really excited for this.

Suna_VampireLady 05 April, 2016 @ 09:29

Ohw yea a butcher who keuren his own vlees.. make that the cat wise.

You’re drunk Suna_VampireLady, go home

CoolRichy007UK 08 April, 2016 @ 14:02
16.1

No leave her alone she int drunk you go home!!

abdiheroboss 05 April, 2016 @ 12:26

this is an awesome game u should play man! But first start from the 1st one to this one!

pablo-hassan 05 April, 2016 @ 14:55

CANNOT WAIT! I’m going all out for U4! Got my U4 headset, the ltd edition of the game and the ltd edition ps4 console to give Nathan the send of he deserves

abdiheroboss 06 April, 2016 @ 12:59
18.1

I know right!!
ME too

abdiheroboss 06 April, 2016 @ 12:58

AWSOME!!

Looks great and can’t wait to play.

One thing I will say, and this is just going from the little bit of driving in the jeep, but the original Motorstorm with this graphics on PS4 would be quite frankly, awesome. Give it the same real world feel to the suspension that the original Motorstorm had compared to the sequels and it would be a cracking game.

I really miss the Motorstorm games. Just glad I still have a PS3 and all the games.

Naughty Dog is taking gaming to a whole new level! It’s more than a game andway much better thana movie!

RadaRadaSnicl 27 April, 2016 @ 07:33

Looks amazing well worth the monies and time

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history