Posted

Severed, from the team behind Guacamelee, hits PS Vita this month

Drinkbox Studios keenly-anticapted latest arrives on 26th April

Hi everyone! This is Graham from Drinkbox Studios, creators of Tales from Space: About a Blob, Mutant Blobs Attack, and Guacamelee!.

We’ve been hard at work on Severed for the past two years, and we’re excited to announce that the game will be released on PlayStation Vita on 26th April. PS Plus members can also expect a 10% discount during the launch week. Check out our new trailer below!

The long road…

If you haven’t heard of Severed before, here’s a quick rundown: Severed is a first-person dungeon crawling adventure where you equip the carcasses of your enemies to gain their powers. You play as Sasha, a warrior who wakes up in a surreal fantasy world and sets off on a mission to find the missing members of her family.

Fighting enemies in Severed can be… disarming?

Severed was initially planned as a Spring 2015 release, but after showing an early demo of the game at PlayStation Experience in December 2014, we became inspired with a ton of new ideas and decided there was a lot more we wanted to add. It only took a whole extra year, but we’ve finally finished packing in as much as we could into Severed and we’re really happy with how it has turned out.

#07 - 20140604-0190#08 - Co_Op (5)

Original soundtrack available now

While Severed is still a few weeks away from release, the original soundtrack for the game is available for streaming and download today, right HERE. Composed by the Juno-nominated band YAMANTAKA // SONIC TITAN and special guests Pantayo, the intense progressive rock music in Severed’s OST gives a good sense of the unique atmosphere you can expect to find in Sasha’s adventure.

Oh, hi monsters. Time to DIE!

We’re huge fans of PlayStation Vita, and are really excited to finally get it into the hands of PS Vita owners. Hope you all love the game as much as we enjoyed making it!

#07 - 20140604-0190#08 - Co_Op (5)
Did you enjoy this?

Comments

45 Comments 5 Author replies
Show oldest first

Looks awesome 😀

Graham Smith 11 April, 2016 @ 4:15 pm   2

Thanks RayDD!

madmanwithabox12 11 April, 2016 @ 4:17 pm   3

SO. MUCH. HYPE.

Seriously can’t wait for this. 😀

StevenJamesHyde 11 April, 2016 @ 4:20 pm   4

Axiom Verge, Skullgirls, XCOM, Civilisation and now this… best couple of months in the Vita’s history for my money

This month? Well that is a nice surprise! Day one for me.

miguel_fabio 11 April, 2016 @ 4:23 pm   6

seriously need this game. saw your game on kinda funny. now we just need a physical edition 😀

joyrul96 11 April, 2016 @ 4:59 pm

They should get in touch with @limitedgames for a limited physical copy edition

matdub69 14 April, 2016 @ 9:57 am

@joyrul96: I think limited run games, with the exception of New N’ Tasty, only release average indies. Drinkbox wouldnt be eligible.

Flying_Pig 14 April, 2016 @ 10:35 am

@matdub69 – nonsense! Limited Run Games have some great games coming up (Volume, Cosmic Star Heroine, YIIK, Rainbow Moon etc) and would definitely consider Severed or Drinkbox’s other titles.

Chaz3010 11 April, 2016 @ 4:30 pm   7

Awesome news! Day One buy for me, I see you mention a 10% launch discount, but what will the price be?

Graham Smith 11 April, 2016 @ 4:37 pm

Sony has control over final pricing, but we have suggested €14.99/£11.99

Excellent timing, I just platinum’d Guacamelee on PS4! Too bad I don’t have a Vita, so I’m hopeful you guys will release it on other systems at some point though.

joyrul96 11 April, 2016 @ 4:39 pm

If this game is Vita TV compatible then might aswell get a Vita TV for cheap and get some great Vita games

madmanwithabox12 11 April, 2016 @ 4:50 pm

It’s not Vita TV compatible since the combat is all based on touching the screen. DS4 touch pad wouldn’t work because you need to know exactly where you’re swiping on the screen.

Great news! Some vita support from a GREAT STUDIO!
Loved Guacamelee and Mutant Blobs attack! Keep at it!

MurloK14 11 April, 2016 @ 4:56 pm   10

Day one buy to me!! Keep supporting the Vita!
What’s the download size?

madmanwithabox12 11 April, 2016 @ 4:58 pm   11

Man, the soundtrack is super on-point. Kudos. (^_^)_b

brisdevil 11 April, 2016 @ 5:17 pm   12

Great! 🙂 Love my PS Vita, loved Guacamelee!, love what I’ve seen regarding Severed.
And thanks for the Vita love guys.

Aces73High 11 April, 2016 @ 5:19 pm   13

Haha! Finally some fantastic Vita news!

For me [a self confessed indie nut] Guacamelee! is still the best platformer on Vita. Add to that, the fabulous Mutant Blobs Attack, and DrinkBox are clearly one of my favourite Vita devs. With that in mind, I’ve been keenly following the progress of Severed for the best part of what, two years now? And the wait is (nearly) finally over!

DrinkBox Studios + Gio Corsi + Colin Moriati + thousands of dedicated fans = keeping VITA alive!

Holy heck, the soundtrack the soundtrack man!
Not enough that the game seems awesome as heck you have the music to back it up! Hype indeed.

Same day as Alienation? Oh man. That’s gonna be a tough one. Both games looks so fantastic. Might actually go against myself and get both. I mean, how can I not support a Vita game? I just have to.

HomessaHomem 11 April, 2016 @ 6:07 pm   16

I WANT THIS IN MY VITA!

mellan_Konsten 11 April, 2016 @ 6:12 pm   17

Year of the Vita!

Thank you for supporting the V and for not being afraid to make a game for it that uses the touchscreen. You’ll have my money day 1 😀

Sobtanian 11 April, 2016 @ 6:15 pm   18

Wow beautiful. I loved Guacamelee on the VITA and I will but this day one. Thanks for supporting the machine!

sukizo2134 11 April, 2016 @ 6:32 pm   19

This looks awesome! I’m loving the art style. It is too tempting to listen to the soundtrack now but I’ll save it for when I get the game. Can’t wait.

Flying_Pig 11 April, 2016 @ 6:36 pm   20

Fantastic news! I’ve been looking forward to Severed for ages, and now I know it’s close, I can barely wait. 🙂

thekillingspree 11 April, 2016 @ 6:38 pm   21

Finally! I thought this had been forgotten. Glad to see another weird game on the Vita, I shall include it in my catalog of exquisite games 🙂

mdogg91 11 April, 2016 @ 6:49 pm   22

I will buy it.
Hope it stays ps vita exclusive though

Quinlank 11 April, 2016 @ 6:54 pm

Why? Game’ll be more successful if it expands to more platforms at some point. Considering Vita is a dead platform I’d have thought just getting games still coming out for it would be enough.

novurdim 11 April, 2016 @ 7:22 pm

@Quinlank While I’m not obsessed with “exclusivity”, we can really do without retarded “vita iz ded” comments at least here. Thank you.

Vita exclusive = day one buy. Thank you!

Quinlank 11 April, 2016 @ 6:55 pm   24

Looks nice. I’m interested.

SinisterGee 11 April, 2016 @ 7:15 pm   25

Day one for sure. Looks great, if it’s even half as much fun as Mutant Blobs Attack it’ll be well worth it.

warensembler83 11 April, 2016 @ 9:09 pm   26

From the team behind Guacamelee + Vita = Shut up and take my money 😉 The game looks great.

Jamesyp00 11 April, 2016 @ 11:41 pm   27

Looks amazing, hope you can get it working on PS4 or Vita TV too!

PureNomad 12 April, 2016 @ 2:37 am   28

Its kinda heartwarming to see the vita fanbase showing support for a change, usually its them (rightly) complaining at the lack of support. I really need to dust off Guacamelee, played it a while on ps3 and had fun, I should go for the ps4 platinum.

Graham Smith 12 April, 2016 @ 1:19 pm

DO IT. The platinum is a lot of fun to get (if you enjoy hard platforming challenges)

My Pre-paid card is ready… It will be bought, ridiculously keen on this one…

Same day as Rocketbirds, will buy also, but sorry Rocketbirds you just lost the top spot on the Vita play list come April 26th…

matdub69 12 April, 2016 @ 5:26 am   30

I am so there dude. Day one buy.

pablo-hassan 12 April, 2016 @ 9:20 am   31

Awesome stuff thanks for supporting the vita

Mcbeanstr 12 April, 2016 @ 10:10 am   32

Excellent I absolutely loved Guacemelee on ps vita and ps4. This looks just as good

Alex79uk 12 April, 2016 @ 7:04 pm   33

This doesn’t look like my usual thing, but I was a HUGE fan of Guacamelee so it’ll be a day one purchase for me, looking forward to it.

Witcher70 12 April, 2016 @ 7:17 pm   34

Hope you consider a PS4 port 🙂

flatspikes80 12 April, 2016 @ 9:15 pm   35

The Vita is exploding with games this year. I just need to get more time and more money! Saying that this had to be a day 1 buy to show support even if it takes a while until I can play it.

Thanks so much guys.

RustyTachikoma 13 April, 2016 @ 7:41 pm   36

Day one! I loved Guacamelee and Mutants Blobs Attack was my first Vita game. If the game is good and you guys ever decide on doing a physical version, I’ll double dip 🙂

r22637948-345_d3 15 April, 2016 @ 12:57 am   37

Ps vita iis so AWESOME

TruePalmer 22 April, 2016 @ 10:55 pm   38

Love the support your team gives to the vita! Enjoyed every game you guys have made & will back this game 100%. I mean I surely can’t say it’s good until I’ve played it, but I gotta say I’m a little biased already from how highly I regard your studio. Also the fact that your team continuously supports the vita is just amazing, plenty of us gamers still love the vita. Since Sony has shifted focus to the ps4, I can’t help but admire studios such as yourself for continuing the support. So thanks guys, your game looks amazing!