Everything you need to know about Uncharted 4 multiplayer

Modes, features, DLC and future plans detailed in full

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End hits the shelves on 10th May. And while we’ve talked a lot about the single-player campaign, many multiplayer details have remained under wraps. That ends today, as we fill you in on what to expect as well as the philosophy behind some of the new directions we took with multiplayer.

Right off the bat, we want to highlight that all future maps and modes will be included with Uncharted 4 at no additional cost, and all vanity and gameplay in-game store items will be unlockable through gameplay!

This means that the Uncharted 4 multiplayer community won’t be fragmented by different types of DLC, and that those who are loyal in participating in the community will be rewarded. Our DLC release approach will represent an entirely new direction for Naughty Dog, and we are confident it will have a hugely positive impact and keep the Uncharted 4 multiplayer community thriving.

It was a long process to determine how all this should work. We went back and forth with how we wanted players to experience this, and we created a few core philosophies.

Uncharted 4 Multiplayer: Philosophy infographic

• Fairness first: We strongly believe that players must be on an even playing field. To do this, we made Relics, a currency that can only be earned through gameplay and will be able to unlock all DLC, present and future. We will be putting future gameplay items ranging from Mysticals to Boosters into DLC Gameplay Chests. Each Chest will contain new gameplay items.
  • An evolving experience: We intend to keep the Uncharted 4 multiplayer experience as fresh as possible for as long as possible. Over time, Naughty Dog will release a variety of new maps, modes and gameplay items at no additional cost (including co-op), that will introduce new rules and play styles.
  • DLC accessible to everyone: It was our goal from the start to give players the ability to earn DLC items through gameplay. No DLC item is available exclusively using Uncharted Points.
  • Unified community: The idea of delivering our DLC this way was greatly influenced by the goal of having a unified community. Maps and modes will be available to everyone on the same day. This will ensure that all players are kept together and experience new content at the same time.

We also feel that a unified community happens through engagement. Beyond our engagement with players through social media and our forums, we’ll soon introduce Cinema so that players can review matches and use a tool that will allow them to create custom Uncharted multiplayer footage. This has been a popular tool in previous Uncharted multiplayer games, and we are excited to make it available in the near future.

How it all works

We considered a number of systems for our multiplayer DLC economy and have refined them to keep things as simple as possible. The core component revolves around acquiring Relics.

Uncharted 4 Multiplayer: Economy infographic

You acquire Relics by either completing daily Challenges or winning matches, and you can spend them on DLC Chests. You will be able to pick between a DLC Vanity Chest or a DLC Gameplay Chest; when you open it, you’ll earn new items. Neither chest type will ever give you a duplicate item.

Triple Pack

For those of you who purchased the Triple Pack (also included in the Digital Deluxe Edition), you’ll gain future access to:

• The first-ever single-player story add-on for the Uncharted series
  • Two multiplayer packs to enhance your multiplayer experience:

MP Pack #1 includes:

• Long Gun
  • Booster
  • Skin
  • Hat
  • Taunt

MP Pack #2 includes:

• Pistol
  • Booster
  • Mystical
  • Hat
  • Taunt

Roadmap

You will see in our roadmap graphic below that we have full intention of supporting Uncharted 4 multiplayer for some time, and want to be clear with those intentions. We are going to release quite a bit of content this year, including gameplay items, modes and maps.

Uncharted 4 Multiplayer: Roadmap infographic

Uncharted 4 multiplayer modes at launch

We also want to showcase the modes that will be available at launch. We’ve brought back modes from previous Uncharted multiplayer games, while introducing new ideas to others. Any and all of the modes can be incredibly intense.

• Ranked: In Ranked Team Deathmatch, Ranks range from Bronze III to Diamond I. You’ll be awarded points for winning a match, and points will be deducted for losing. When you acquire the necessary number of points, you’ll enter into Qualifiers – which is where things get really interesting. At this point, a player is given the opportunity to increase his or her Rank by winning a certain number of the next few matches. Failing to do so will knock the player out of Qualifiers, and he or she must earn points again for another attempt.

For example, if you are Rank Bronze I and earn enough points to enter Qualifiers, you must win three of your next five matches to reach Rank Silver III. Failing to win at least three of your next five matches will result in a failure in Qualifiers, and will force you to earn points to try again.

It’s a system that we think the competitive among you will enjoy as much as we have in the office.

• Command: In this mode, you’ll capture Command Sites for a steady flow of points, or knock out enemy Captains for a large point bonus. Command emphasises teamwork and a large part of that comes from protecting your Captain.

There are a number of Command Sites across each map. When your team captures one, your team’s score will increase. Command Sites captured by the enemy team must be neutralized before you can capture them for your side. Command Sites are captured faster when more members of the team are inside them.

Whichever player contributes the most points to the team’s objective is the Team Captain. The Captain will receive bonuses — cheaper In-Match Store Items, the ability to revive teammates faster, and more health when downed. When a Captain is designated, the Captain starts at Level 1, but as the Captain gains objective points without being KO’ed, the Captain goes up a Level to a max level of three, which increases the effectiveness of the Captain bonuses. However, at higher levels, the Captain is more visible to the enemy:

Level 1: Enemies see a Captain icon by the Captain’s name

Level 2: Enemies can always see the Captain on radar

Level 3: Captains are automatically Marked until they lose Captain status

Captain status is lost when the Captain is knocked out, which scores the enemy points depending on the level of the Captain. This mode can have some intense comebacks given the large point value a Captain can reach.

• Team Deathmatch: A fight to the end with teammates at your side. The goal is to score a certain number of points to win, with each enemy KO being worth one point.
  • Plunder: In Plunder, grab the idol and return it to your treasure chest for one point. You can throw and climb with the Idol.
  • Warm Up Playlist: We have made a lot of new gameplay mechanics available, and the Warm Up playlist gives players the opportunity to explore them. You will only be able to play in this playlist for a certain number of matches, to help you understand the multiplayer mechanics before joining the fight.
  • Trials: Set up as pseudo competitive matches, players go up against enemy NPC opponents with the goal of getting a high score using specific multiplayer mechanics. Each of the 10 Trials will include different levels of difficulty and will award Relics for completion.

Well, that was a lot to cover! I’m sure a number of you will have questions, please ask them below in the comments. We at Naughty Dog, and the MP team in particular, are really excited to finally share all this information with you. The direction we’re taking in Uncharted 4 multiplayer is going to be a fast and fun ride – we hope you’ll join us!

67 Comments
0 Author replies
red_artifice 02 May, 2016 @ 14:17

Will it have Lan play? Was one of my favourite Ps3 things, uncharted 3 as an old school lan party

Awesome! How many maps will the game include at launch?

I don’t get it. No cooperative until later this year?

3.1

That’s exactly what itsays… What’s not to get?

narvikgutten 02 May, 2016 @ 14:28

On the Uncharted Multiplayer roadmap, I think it should be winter 2016 and not winter 2017…

Typo?

narvikgutten 02 May, 2016 @ 14:30

Also, what do you mean with CO-OP?

5.1

like Uncharted 2 had I believe. Just maps to complete with friends. Actually, pretty interesting and my favorites online feature in trilogy.

Will the Triple Pack be available for purchase in the EU? Still have not heard or seen anything about it over here.

Stonesthrow 02 May, 2016 @ 15:17
6.1

Same here, got kinda worried when I read it will include campaign dlc, which is an absolute must have obviously :o Checked my store website but I see nothing about a Triple Pack.. Only CE, SE and pre order edition..

6.2

It’s available on amazon for me

6.3

Another thing about the Triple Pack that bugs me is that it includes multiplayer packs. Does this very post not say all future DLC will be unlockable for free? Why should we buy the Triple Pack then?

Show more replies
LudicrouslyLiam 02 May, 2016 @ 14:39

I’m very happy to see you have listeined to some of our feedback over the years. Everyone having access to the same weapons and maps is paramount to sustaining a playerbase.

Your idea of a ranking system for public games sounds very interesting and is something I wanted in Tlou, hopefully it matches people of similar skill level.

The only disappointment I can see is that co-op won’t be on the disc, it’s a nice mode to play when you get burn out on the competitive side of things and you just want to have fun with friends.

Can I ask, does buying the triple pack mean you have immediate access to maps and guns, whereas people who don’t will have to wait a little longer? If so how much longer?

So am I understanding correctly, that the ONLY thing that costs extra is the ‘time-saver’ unlocks?

If so, I’m impressed. Community fragmentation and pay-to-win weapons were the things that killed TLOU on PS3.

extermin8or_ 02 May, 2016 @ 17:56
8.1

Seems they listened to the criticism then.

This is all good news. Although it seems like the season pass would be a waste of money. I’ll just buy the single player DLC on its own

Stonesthrow 02 May, 2016 @ 15:09

Nice direction with the multiplayer although the vagueness around co op still has me worried. It’s clear now that it won’t be a part of the game at launch and it worries me to think this mode will be considered an afterthought or will not be as extensive as it would have been as part of the game by default. I guess I should be happy to finally see it confirmed there will be some form of co op post launch, but I hope it’s a great and extensive as the U2 and U3 co op. Amazing mode if you just can’t get enough of the brilliant mechanics and controls of Uncharted without the stress of having to perform against real players.

Stonesthrow 02 May, 2016 @ 15:11
10.1

as great*

Edit function, ever? :(

10.2

I wholly agree regarding the value of co-op in Uncharted.

As for it being post-launch DLC, I can think of several reasons why they chose this model for UC4. They had timeframe issues (with multiple delays to release date) so it may simply need more work… or it might feature story material that is best seen after doing the main campaign.

I’m just glad it’ll be there, eventually.

I’m really looking forward to this, BUT it will never be an “even playing field” while the game has a peer to peer connection.
As with previous uncharted multiplayer games, it’s always seemed like pot luck to me whether or not it will be an even match.

11.1

This is true, in the PS3 era it was justifiable but with mandatory PS+ subscription and a AAA title we really ought to be seeing dedicated servers. Especially with Naughty Dog’s famously wonky matchmaking.

I feel like it’s more of a problem in Europe than the US, since we often get connected with people on a different landmass, leading to ping craziness and major advantage for the host.

uncharted 4 split screen?

Sir_Fluffybutt92 02 May, 2016 @ 19:36
12.1

CravingForCookie 02 May, 2016 @ 15:25

Thank you for clearly showing what the MP component of UC4 will consist off. I loved the TLOU multiplayer and I hope (although it is a different beast) that the UC4 MP will also be spectacular. I really enjoyed the open beta a few months back. Looking forward to finding out more about the new maps.

scene_cachet 02 May, 2016 @ 15:31

Digital Deluxe version for the Australian version mentions that you get Multiplayer currency, but you have yet to specify how much of the MP currency you get.

Can you please notify the exact amount that comes with the edition.

Dragonbuster_90 02 May, 2016 @ 15:45

REALLY disappointed by the lack of co-op :( … by far the best mode (for me at least)

15.1

It’s coming in Autumn.

Lt_Fed_Brusque 02 May, 2016 @ 15:52

The core philosophies outlined above are excellent :) Good luck with the launch, ND!

no matter where I ask, no one seems to know the answer, will it have split screen like U3 had or not? I play uncharted mostly for the single player, but the split screen was really fun, I have over 100h on it, and no, I don’t care about online, also, why most companies don’t allow to play alone VS bots? it it so hard? I don’t think so

Will there be split screen? If so is it in just co-op or also online multiplayer? I love the single player of Uncharted (who doesn’t?) but split screen games make some of the best memories with friends.

extermin8or_ 02 May, 2016 @ 17:55

So I presume coop will be like missions available in coop like it was in uncharted 2 and 3? In which case while I’m sure you have summer game modes planned I’d still like to suggest a game mode you add at some point be the horde mode from uncharted 2. The one where you had to survive waves of enemies of increasing difficulty with two other players. That would be awesome in this and hopefully playable on all normal multiplayer maps. Is that something thst might come along at some point?

Can’t wait for Uncharted 4 but I remain pretty disinterested in the multiplayer and these ridiculous emotes and dances are making me not want to even try the mode.

ThroughTheIris56 02 May, 2016 @ 22:27

A bit annoying it won’t be available at launch, but I’m really glad we’ll be getting co op at some point.

Wait, I’m confused. I pre-ordered the digital deluxe edition, and so I will get the 2 MP Packs. Does that mean everyone who didn’t get the edition will also MP Packs #1 & #2? Because it says that all DLC will be free, but I already paid for it, how will it differ from the free DLC?

22.1

It was a bit misleading, going on past Uncharteds they would have been map packs, I like what they’re doing but I’m not keen on paying $35 extra for content you can unlock anyway.

To answer your question I think two thirds of what we’ve paid for will be unlockable by playing multiplayer whether you bought the triple pack or not. The MP stuff sounds next to useless anyway.

These posters give me a reaction. Only a few more days until we hear this grand Uncharted music…

TertiaryCitadel 03 May, 2016 @ 03:22

Do people legitimately get Uncharted for the multiplayer?

I mean, the story is awesome but the kind of multiplayer it offers is done far better in other games. Kind of like with The Last of Us multiplayer, just feels a little tacked on.

PepsiCat321 03 May, 2016 @ 04:23

This sounds Amazingly Awesome! Great job Naughty Dog. I was thinking about the White Block mesh map that lets you test all the guns in Uncharted 2, It was so fun playing that with friends. I really missed that in U3 so please add it eventually to U4, it was so fun trying to run to the gun stash as I only got a hand gun while my friend was allowed to use any gun to try and kill me, I won 90% of the time with my 92FS :D such great times. Having the colorful Lab lvls would be amazing!

ManikwithaNine 03 May, 2016 @ 05:41

Because I don’t have PS+ to play multiplayer, I’m gonna wait for the price to drop before I get this game.

That really makes the Deluxe version I have preordered with the Triple Pack a bit of a rip at $35 extra.

Good call on what you’re trying to achieve but that Triple Pack is not worth that, really needs more content to be worthwhile.

If I cancelled my preorder on PSN for the deluxe edition, would I then be able to preorder the standard edition?

28.1

I would very much like to know the answer for that. In this perspective, deluxe edition doesn’t worth the extra cost.

Will trials require ps plus?

StevenJamesHyde 03 May, 2016 @ 10:16

Any multiplayer Trophies?

Nice and i hope to see spiltscreen

Infamous_Snake_ 04 May, 2016 @ 02:27

Elimination mode .. WHERE IS IT?!?!?!? :((((( I hope you intend to add that mode later. Nothing is more intense than knowing you won’t be respawn in if you die.

A bit annoyed really nd. kudos for giving free multiplayer content but i have pre-ordered the digital deluxe version and have already credited my psn account with the money. I did this as it said i would gain access to the mp packs, implying that it would be the dlc and that this included the season pass. if i new the mp packs were just a few vanity items which i’m guessing will be available in game anyway, i would have bought the libertalia edition. the only reason i purchased this edition was to make sure i had access to the mp content in case i was skint at the time. A bit skanky really nd.

Just pre-ordered the special edition mmmmmmhmmmmm. Let’s go.

I’m really looking forward to the Co-op modes I how it’s alot like Uncherted 2 Co-op with scenario Co-op & hoard survival mode they were awesome

So why did people paid for the season pass?

jamesparet007 05 May, 2016 @ 19:13
36.1

To get the Story DLC and you unlock Multiplayer gear faster (if I’m not mistaken)

No co-op, this is a sick joke. And do NOT believe Naughty Dog when they promise a free co-op mode down the line — they did the same for The Last of Us and guess what happened? Nothing. The season pass ended up as a collection of 3000 helmets.

At least I won’t have to renew my PS+ subscription.

Just 1 more day till everyone who pre-ordered can play! so excited!

This might be a dumb question, but is the Uncharted points just the currency you pay for (like Destiny did with silver)? Is there any way to get Uncharted points without paying money? There seems to be nothing said anywhere about it or it’s like this article where they are really vague about Uncharted points. I haven’t played the actual multiplayer yet so I was wondering since I have 300 points for preordering and I don’t want to spend it on something dumb if it does in fact work just like Destiny where they give you enough to get something basic but have to spend real money to get something kinda cool (which is a tactic I am surprised people don’t complain about since they complain about similar tactics all the time, but that’s a whole ‘nother subject.. lol).

dav3duncan23 10 May, 2016 @ 15:21

The MP is flowing quite well at the moment. No idea why it gets so much hate. Improved a fair bit since UC2. Totally different genre from TLOU so I wouldn’t expect the MP experiences to be overly similar. Both have their merits. Well worth jumping into from time to time too when you can’t be bothered playing through singleplayer for a spell.

iII_RaZoR_ill 10 May, 2016 @ 18:39

Hello I am wondering weather it is worth me buying the triple pack DLC as I really want to play the extra content single player campaign when it is released but not sure if all the other dlc that will come along throughout the months is worth paying £20 for or will there be a option to just buy the extra content for the campaign?

funnyDUDE4555567 10 May, 2016 @ 22:46

@Johhny_E -Yeah, the thing they did with Destiny totally sucked, but i’m sure that there is a way to get Uncharted points without spending “Real” money. I’m sure they mentioned its all fair and you can earn them eventually but it may not be as fast as purchasing them.

Mr_Champion_ 11 May, 2016 @ 02:04

Will uncharted 4 have survival waves game mode with different random maps play aganist soldiers and there will be different types of soldiers the heavy soldier RPG soldier the sniper soldiers etc. I hope is his name out and I hope you can rank up your characters level two or rank because ice to play this on uncharted two with my friends all the time among the thieves on the PS3 and I’m very sad that this game out is not very popular because I hardly ever played multiplayer this is how me and my friends leveled up we got the level 80 just playing survival Waze so I really hope this comes back I miss the old nine 9 MM pistol drake gun to that gun was tight I was amazing at taking out heavy machines gun guys with it. thank you I hope you guys do add a few the things I said love you guys I love you games they’re awesome

How can you call it equal/fair access if online multiplayer requires a mandatory PS+ subscription? That immediately adds $49.99/year to the game’s cost. BTW, you should state this clearly upfront, before someone purchases the game online. Which is already $79.99 in Canada. How is it equal/fair to the people that don’t have a PS+ subscription? Will have to drop $130.00 plus tax to get this game an go online, then drop another 50.00 per year + tax to stay online. Sorry ND and Sony, but you’ve priced yourselves out of my market. And I am a very, very strong Uncharted fan. Going to pass on Uncharted 4 until the used disk copies start to drop and then play the campaign locally. Bleh

CrokidakisRock 11 May, 2016 @ 17:26

Hey, Where are the ranks in the multiplayer?

45.1

Agreed, what an absolute joke that is lol, what sort of game doesn’t have ranks?

45.2

didn’t mean to say first person shooter in my last comment, i know it’s third person before someone corrects me :)

Angel_SilentDiva 12 May, 2016 @ 22:18

My uncharted 4 points arent showing up in game am i the only one with thos problem

What an absolute joke, where is the mode ‘Elimination”? having a mode where you only have one life per round is vital to ANY first person shooter, any game you see has one, Search & Destroy for example, i only got this game for that made and it’s not in it, please add it asap. 3 modes for any shooter is a complete disgrace itself, let alone removing Elimination.

HARVINDER11 22 May, 2016 @ 15:27

i want to buy this game but i have a question does this game have free roam?? Me and my friends r wondering if you can walk around and mess about like gta is this a feature that is available or not

The only thing I want is survival. In uncharted 2 and 3 they had this survival system where they had 10 rounds or something and if u survive past all the rounds u win. Then u get some kind of reward depending on how many rounds u survived. Please add that to uncharted 4. That was my favorite game mode. That and the customization is the whole reason why I buy uncharted games. The story line is good too. But please add survival.

KALDRIN2099 29 May, 2016 @ 18:21

What happened to the greatest game ever? Why would you eliminate Survival mode? The main reason to be online for most players was for survival, now that it’s gone the game is just like every other game out there bland and repetitively boring. Please please give us back our survival mode.

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history