15 things you should know about upcoming Square-Enix JRPG I Am Setsuna

Everything you need to know about the ‘90s-style PS4 adventure, out 19th July

Do you like old school JRPGs? If you do, then boy, do I have the game for you! I Am Setsuna is a new JRPG coming to PS4 on 19th July and is inspired by ’90s-style JRPGs. It’s a really interesting game that is worth the attention of anyone who has ever enjoyed the glory days of the JRPG genre. So what exactly is I Am Setsuna all about? Check out the latest gameplay trailer to get up to speed:

I Am Setsuna tells the tale of a land that maintained peace with a fiend. Once a decade, a sacrifice was offered to a fiend on the island. However, one year, the fiend grew violent before the next sacrifice was due. Those living on the island were afraid and tried to calm the fiend by offering a sacrifice; Setsuna, chosen because of her powers of enchantment. Setsuna must leave with her safeguards for the farthest land, where the ceremony of sacrifice will be held.

After watching the trailer, you’ve probably got quite a good idea about what kind of game I Am Setsuna is and how it plays. However, the creation of the game and the story behind the developer Tokyo RPG Factory is quite unusual so here’s a list of things you might not know about I Am Setsuna:

DN_011 DN_020DN_CO-OP_004
I Am Setsuna
I Am Setsuna

1. I am Setsuna is known as Ikenie To Yuki No Setsuna in Japan. In Japanese Ikenie means sacrifice, Yuki means snow and Setsuna means sorrow. The team felt that the word “Setsunai” feeling sorrow was a very heartfelt term in Japan, and it is one of the key themes of the game but obviously that word doesn’t have any meaning outside of Japan so the name of the game in the west was changed to I Am Setsuna because of the character Setsuna’s role in the story.
  2. The word “Setsuna” also means “a moment in time” in Japanese. This ties into the momentum system in the game where you gain SP (Setsuna Points) by letting the momentum gauge fill once the ATB bar is full. SP points can be used to add various bonus effects to a character’s attacks and techs.
  3. The characters leave trails in the snow as they run which slowly fill up again over time, covering their tracks. You can try to write your name in the snow!
  4. DN_011 DN_020DN_CO-OP_004
    I Am Setsuna
    I Am Setsuna

5. The game development studio behind I Am Setsuna is called Tokyo RPG Factory and their goal is to carefully create RPG’s of yesteryear, merging the nostalgic elements from the ’90s with today’s technology.
  6. When hiring staff for Tokyo RPG Factory, applicants were not told that the studio was part of Square Enix. Yosuke Matsuda (CEO of Square Enix) wanted to hire people who were passionate about RPGs, rather than people who wanted to work for Square Enix.
  7. Tokyo RPG Factory is a micro studio of ten dedicated staff. A further 20 freelance staff make up the rest of the studio so it’s a small team like how games were created back in the day!
  8. Coincidentally, the director of I Am Setsuna (Atsushi Hashimoto) previously worked at Racjin and worked with Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi on a RPG called ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat.
  9. I Am Setsuna
    I Am Setsuna
  10. Atsushi Hashimoto stated in an interview that he wants people to reflect back on the game and remember the game as “An RPG of Snow“. He really wants to create a game that people can reflect back on that is impactful.
  11. DN_011 DN_020DN_CO-OP_004

12. Remembering the PlayStation and Super Nintendo era, the team crafted I Am Setsuna by bringing rich story, music, simple turn based controls and gameplay mechanisms that include dungeon crawling, shopping in the cities and carefully upgrading your party, I Am Setsuna allows those who grew up loving these elements to enjoy what they loved. This is a game that will strike deep emotion.
  13. The concept of I Am Setsuna was written in September 2014, development began the following month and, by August 2015, an alpha version (in Japanese) was complete.
  14. In the story, the main character Endir protects Setsuna as she journeys through the environments of snow and ice. There are also other characters that Setsuna will travel with and their names are Keel, Kuon, Yomi and Julion.
  15. I Am Setsuna
    I Am Setsuna
  16. The character design was done by toi8— the team knew they wanted this character designer from the get go. Not only is he known by the current generation, his art style matches up nicely reflecting a melancholy spirit and heroic defeat that is visually striking. Previously he has worked on popular anime series Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and Attack on Titan.
  17. DN_011 DN_020DN_CO-OP_004

18. The original soundtrack for the game features two discs, packed with over 70 tracks that solely utilizes the piano. The music was created by Tomoki Miyoshi who had his debut project on Soul Calibur V when he was 16 years old (he is now 22)! The melodies are soft and reminiscent of a yearning for calmness except during battle.
  19. The soundtrack includes the piano performance by Randy Kerber, who has worked as a studio keyboardist on many Hollywood films including Forrest Gump and Titanic.
  20. Unless you have an item in the game called Mistone, you cannot escape from battles.
I Am Setsuna
I Am Setsuna

I hope you found this interesting and enjoyed getting a glimpse at I Am Setsuna and Tokyo RPG Factory. The team are really passionate about bringing back the authentic JRPG style to modern consoles and paying homage to JRPG masterpieces of yesteryear. I hope this comes across and you’re looking forward to playing I Am Setsuna when it comes out on 19th July 2016.

Countless adventures captivated us when we were kids. Now, it’s time for us to return the favour with adventures of our own.” – Tokyo RPG Factory.

I Am Setsuna
I Am Setsuna
52 Comments
10 Author replies

Dan, I know I like to ask you for hard things but think it would be possible for you to fish around for an artbook of some kind? Kuon and Yomi themselves actually deserves their own book each but I wont ask for the impossible :)

Daniel Seto 03 June, 2016 @ 16:48
1.1

You sure do like to make me work eh? :P
I’m not sure if an artbook exists that’s readily available or planned to be but I can certainly let the team know this is of interest.

Thanks Dan :)

TimeSkipLuffy 03 June, 2016 @ 14:43

Instant Buy

FantasyMeister 03 June, 2016 @ 14:44

Thanks, Daniel. Is this getting a retail release or just PSN Store? I can’t find any retailers with listings for it in the UK yet.

supersmith2500 03 June, 2016 @ 15:30
3.1

Digital only.

Daniel Seto 03 June, 2016 @ 16:49
3.2

As @supersmith2500 says, I am Setsuna is a digital release so keep an eye out for it on PSN :)

FantasyMeister 03 June, 2016 @ 18:29
3.3

Thank you both! I’ll carve out a little niche on my HDD for 19th July then.

madmanwithabox12 03 June, 2016 @ 15:14

This post can only go well hahaha. Practically taunting the Vita crowd in their own turf.

I’m not even gonna say anything, just wait for the Vita people to once again preach to a Square who doesn’t listen.

Daniel Seto 03 June, 2016 @ 16:58
4.1

We listen to all feedback but we’re not always able to act on it.
Tokyo RPG Factory are a small team and it takes a lot of work (and money) to release a game on any format and we have to work out which formats are feasible on a case by case basis.
As a company it’s not like we’re ignoring the Vita (we have both Dragon Quest Builders and World of Final Fantasy coming on Vita) but unfortunately we can’t always release all of our games on all platforms.

I actually bought the Vita version.
I hope their next game is performing better and can manage to get localized as well yes.

madmanwithabox12 03 June, 2016 @ 18:58
4.3

Fair enough Daniel, but there are plenty of Japanese companies WAY smaller than Square Enix constantly bringing their Vita games to the West. Take a leaf out of XSeed, NIS, Atlus, Spike Chunsoft, Namco and Koei Tecmo’s books.

“As a company it’s not like we’re ignoring the Vita”

What, because you have literally two localisations in the pipeline? One of which we haven’t heard anything about for like a year (many assume it’s been cancelled because of this) and neither of which you’d bring over if they weren’t on PS4? How about the Type-0 fiasco from a couple years ago, where PSP/Vita owners got the localisation to happen and then got shafted (never mind the fact SE announced it for Vita on this very blog before editing the mistake!)? Or the number of games SE releases on Vita in Japan, but pretends don’t exist when they bring them West for mobile phones?

Show full comment

“As a company it’s not like we’re ignoring the Vita”

Compare what you’re doing with Vita to what you did with PSP. PSP had great exclusives like Crisis Core, 2&1/2 Dissidia’s, 3rd Birthday and Birth By Sleep, with definitive remakes of FF1-4 & Tactics.

It’s like night and day. O_O

Show more replies
Inherentdragon 03 June, 2016 @ 15:21

This looks beautiful and amazing.Been looking forward to this for a long time!So many Jrpgs out this year…glad I chose the ps4 over Xbox One :)

Daniel Seto 03 June, 2016 @ 17:01
5.1

It’s definitely a good time to be a JRPG fan :D
Let’s just hope there’s enough time in the day/week/month to play them all!

HomessaHomem 03 June, 2016 @ 15:27

I WANT THIS IN MY VITA!

supersmith2500 03 June, 2016 @ 15:29

Bring the Vita version over and we’ll talk.

I like Satsumas too. I might get this for Christmas along with some Poinsettias.

Daniel Seto 03 June, 2016 @ 17:00
8.1

Gotta make sure you get your 5 a day ;)

QuietlyWrong 03 June, 2016 @ 18:40
8.2

Get yourself a festive panettone too. Makes a mean bread and butter pudding.

For the love of all things holy Square put this on vita – this game is tailor made for a handheld

9.1

Vita is dead. Has been for a while. I’m certain because I own one since launch.

9.2

Wonder if this has New Game +

Must’ve done New Game+ on Chrono Trigger four times in a row. Saving tabs and getting to max level.

Why no Vita version ? I honestly don’t get it, they already have Japanese Vita version and they are translating it for PS 4. What is the problem ?

Daniel Seto 03 June, 2016 @ 17:04
10.1

Translation/localisation is only a part of bringing a game out on any given format. There’s lots of other things that need to be done like coding and Q&A/testing (for example) that require a lot of man power and can be quite costly.
Tokyo RPG Factory are a small team too and they’re working really hard to bring the PS4 version to the west.

deikondhevin 03 June, 2016 @ 17:47
10.2

But how costly can it be, when there is already a) a source code running on the platform b) a translation done for PS4 and Steam? Is this a wait and see thing? Or are SE never going to do this?

Daniel Seto 03 June, 2016 @ 18:54
10.3

It’s sadly not that simple @deikondhevin. There’s lots of other things that need to be done to release a game and they all add up both in costs and workload. It’s not as easy as you may think.

Personally I would never say never but sadly there’s nothing I can confirm

Show more replies
QuietlyWrong 03 June, 2016 @ 18:36

So the protagonist is taking a journey with a young woman who has enchanting powers, to protect her on the way to her sacrifice to placate some dire fiend?

Why am I reminded of FFX? ;)

Daniel Seto 03 June, 2016 @ 18:54
11.1

It’s not quite the same but hey, FFX is a great game! ;)

You’ve admirably answered to the posts on here Daniel Seto…unlike 99% of the devs on here that love you and leave you.

For that, you earn a purchase from me. ;)

Daniel Seto 03 June, 2016 @ 18:57
12.1

Thank you! I’m just a fan who likes to talk about video games and JRPGs are my bread and butter gaming wise. I love old school JRPGs (including Chrono Trigger) so I’m really excited for I am Setsuna! I think it looks great and I hope you enjoy it when it comes out :)

You have me all excited Daniel, i have been hoping I Am Setuna would come to the west and land on my PS4 … DAY ONE BUY

Daniel Seto 03 June, 2016 @ 19:02
13.1

Glad I could bring the good news! I’m sure you’re going to love it :)

Disappointing how cynical Square is. “Not feasible” is the most hilarious and petty excuse you could have ever thought of, actually “aliens forbid us” would have been quite a lot more believable. Oh well, not like there’s any point in taking it out here, everyone perfectly understands what’s happening either way. Hopefully this will be an isolated case and at least they’ve chosen the most mediocre game that largely disappointed japanese fans.

No Vita, no buy

Really looking forward to this and Cosmic Star Heroine. Will I am Setsuna being going up for pre-order on PSN soon?

You forgot #16 the price.

@Dan
Sorry mate, but I don’t believe you. You are CM and that’s role to share some PR excuses, it’s ok that’s your role. I don’t blame you and no malice towards your person.

But than again I dare to say that what you said is not true. And actual developers strongly disagree with your PR statement. Just take a look at what Robert Boyd said about localizing I am Setsun. Not only they are bringing Cosmis Star Heorine to both PS4 and PSV but also release it with physical edition. And he said clearly about localizing I am Setsuna, I’m quoting: If you’re already localizing the game in general, bringing over the Vita version too shouldn’t be that expensive.

If two man team can do that… that so does Tokyo RPG Factory with the support of Square Enix.

Show full comment

@Dan

Sorry, but I’d rather believe them than you guys. I don’t see a tiny spark of good will from Square Enix. I remember how SE acted in all that Type-0 HD blunder, I remeber how you acted guys recently with Adventures of Mana. And I remember about that so called swell of demand for I am Setsuna… another useless damage control. Since than all posts about I am Setsuna are spammed with people asking for Vita version… but that’s of course not swell of demand you were talking about right?

Sorry, I know you are good lad. And fellow fan of FF X… but I don’t believe you. Sorry.

mrobinson91 06 June, 2016 @ 11:19
18.1

Maybe I’m being naive and lack the knowledge to comment but from my point of view, why wouldn’t they bring it to Vita if it was easy and didn’t cost them very much. If it’s cheap and easy to do, then why wouldn’t they do it? You’re effectively saying that brining it to Vita is guaranteed to be profitable but yet SE don’t want to do it?! I assume that there are good reasons behind them not doing it.

It’s also worth pointing out that I believe some games will be easier to localise than others depending on engines they are built on. Axiom Verge is a good example of something that took time and was difficult to port.

I’m looking forward to I am Setsuna…despite myself wishing it was on my Vita!

18.2

@mrobinson91
Look people think that publishers don’t make any mistakes. They do.

Just like Bandai Namco released budget localization of Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment. Not only it was badly translated but also digital only. Bandai Namco didn’t want to risk money thinking that Vita won’t bring them any profit.

And the word: risque is very important here. Many publishers don’t like to take risk… that’s normal thing to do, very business-like. But who says what is risky and what is not? People do, and sadly they often make bad decisions.

But what happened with Hollow Fragment? Not only it was very profitable, but also sold around 3x or 4x times better on Vita than on PS4, and that’s only taking into account only NA and EU. And that’s a fact based on official sales figures. (if you want screen cap write to me on PSN). If we would take also R3 region it would be around 6x or 7x times more (and that’s without Japan).

MixedBag said that 35% of all Futuridium copies sold on Vita. And th...

Show full comment

@mrobinson91
Look people think that publishers don’t make any mistakes. They do.

MixedBag said that 35% of all Futuridium copies sold on Vita. And that’s a game released on pretty much everything. Again official data.

PQube said that Steins;Gate was higlhy successful and I heard that it sold around 130k physical copies in both EU and NA (though, I don’t have source for that and it might be just a rumor). That’s more than I am Setsuna sold in Japan on both Vita and PS4.

Also… why talk about engine? It’s already released on Vita in Japan. They don’t have to make a port, it already exists, the only thing to do is localize it. So it is different issue than making port from the scratch just like in case of Axiom Verge.

Look… I’m not saying release it day-1 at the same time PS4 and Steam version. It’s way too late for it. But what Dan said is just an excuse. Nothing more.

18.3

@mrobinson91
Also worth mentioning Bravely Default example.

Square Enix didn’t want to release it in EU/NA thinking that it won’t be popular in west. All in all Nintendo released it by themselves… and later on Square Enix was suprised how well game did in west.

Square Enix is known from taking bad decisions. So it’s the same story all over again.

This game looks fantastic! As much as I want to buy it, I probably won’t. I’m not at home a lot, so I can’t really invest time in games anymore except for handheld games. I play those while traveling to work and back. This game looks like it was made for the Vita and the decision to not localize a Vita version is pretty bad. Sorry Square, I want to play this, but I won’t. I do applaud you for bringing an RPG like this over though. It feels like it’s been ages.

1 thing you should know about upcoming Square-Enix JRPG I Am Setsuna is that we’re all buying it Day 1.
Hour 1.
Minute 1.

ManikwithaNine 04 June, 2016 @ 02:44

If the price is right then I might get this, otherwise I’ll wait for the price to drop.

I would like to say “day one purchase” but no love for vita :/ I’d rather buy this on vita despite owning ps4 as well. I guess i have to continue working on my japanese. thanks for giving me the motivation to study more kanjis. I was getting tired at 600…

reggyx3clover 04 June, 2016 @ 04:53

No Vita No Thank You

Looking forward to the PC release! Next create a game with similar battle mechanisms and time traveling (I would love it even more!) since Square-Enix continues to ignore Chrono franchise.

Nice to see a 90s-style game from Square-Enix for the big screen again.

But what about the actual 90s games from Square-Enix? It now been 5 years since Sony Europe allowed for PS1 US imports on the European Playstation Store, and we still haven’t seen a single Square-Enix game here. Games like Brave Fencer Musashi, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy Tactics, Legend of Mana, Parasite Eve, Threads of Fate, Valkyrie Profile and Xenogears. Games that the rest of the gaming world speak highly of, but that we in Europe never even got a chance to play.

Cause right now “Remembering the PlayStation and Super Nintendo era” doesn’t really mean much for us here in Europe. Since with the exception of FF7, FF8 and FF9, none of the other games were released here.

So you’re basically saying “this game is awesome like the old games you euro bastards never got the chance to play, muahahaha”. So why bother?

26.1

A lot of people simply had a converter

Wonder if this has New Game +

The only thing I want to know is: Where is Vita version?

I’m sorry, but I don’t believe you when you say that is difficult to do these translations in other systems.
But it’s easier to create a PC version (not only translation, an entire game!!) that never exists from the beginning? Oh, God. Poor excuses. Extremely poor.

For me, it’s simple. No Vita, no Buy… ever!

This comment has nothing to do with the post, but I would like to know when the spring escapade winners are announced? Answer, please!

O.K. I know I am rather late to the party but I wanted add my Vita demand to the list. I honestly can’t understand why they wouldn’t localize it. Maybe the market in the US is small but the european market is not doing so bad. Only half of all the sold Vitas are in Japan. If you bring this to Europe in english many americans are going to import it anyway. Even if you’d add an english language option to the Japanese version imports will rise like a thermometer in summer…. And that would avoid a lot of costs…. I can’t believe that all the options have been considered… translation is done so why not use it….

howboutthisthen 06 June, 2016 @ 07:12

I’m only interested in the Vita version, sorry.

31.1

Ditto. It would just work so well on Vita… Why not a digital-only Vita release?! I don’t understand.

This looks like such a beautiful game! I’ve been replaying Chrono Trigger recently, so this kinda looks like a spiritual successor to that in some ways. Not bringing the game to Vita in English was a STUPID decision – the game’s simple, nostalgic art style would be such a PERFECT FIT for Vita. Not to mention the portable aspect.

Surely they can’t use the excuse of them being “a small team” when Square Enix is their parent company? If they really wanted to localise the Vita version, they would be able to pull some strings. And no physical, even for PS4? Such a half-assed release for such a gorgeous game, not fair. Frustrating.

remote play is janky, so you can add me to the list of people disgusted by the trend for porting vita games to ps4 only in west (and slightly bemused by the ports that come to both…even if the original was vita only in Japan.)

this and ff xii would have been full price pre orders in my household, but after the experience doing that with type-0 , its more likely we just wont touch it with a barge pole.

Show full comment

Multiply that by however many other people are saying ‘no vita no buy’ and thats your bottom line being hurt. What may hurt it even more, is the fact that even our purchase of XV is already preorder pre cancelled order, because…why support companies that have no faith in their products or their customers? I have faithfully bought every final fantasy game, possibly every square game, released here since I purchased a ps one with ff vii they day after my exams 18 years ago…because they had a reputation they lived up to for many years (and as an outlier, I rate the three discs that make up the XIII story very highly….one of the silent majority/minority who dont slag things off for the hell of it) but now neither Sony nor Square Enix want my money…ironic as I seem to be one of that demographic everyone else is chasing.

Oh and while I am whinging in a Square post about nostalgic nineties gaming….sort out Lara Croft, you fumbled the franchise. You can start by porting Lara Croft GO to vita (and the HD collection to vita would bring cheer too.) and then by embracing the history of the franchise on playstation. XBox can keep their nickelodeon heroine.

(and like others, I suggest the difficulties of porting to Vita are lss than truthful for this game.)

It looks soooo good! Really looking forward to play it, gonna be a day one purchase for me. :) Thanks a lot SE!

I’m a long-term gamer, who worked in localisation for about 15 years throughout the 90s and early ’00s. I love JRPGs and I initially was super excited for this, when I heard there was to be a Vita version in the works. Not to be an apologist, because I’m bummed there is no Vita version, but localisation *is* a complex and costly affair. There is a surprisingly strong amount of content coming to our fantastic wee device on a regular basis, despite its semi-official “death” last year. The Vita is still going strong, but may not necessarily be remotely viable for some developers. Tokyo RPG factory may not have the resources to localise, test and release to a second platform. It may not be economically viable to them, given the market share, or at all. Remember, they’re the devs, Square is a shareholder and publisher here. I’m sure any dev would dig seeing their game on as many platforms as possible, despite what the predictable internet reactionary might say/think.

I would love this on...

Show full comment

I would love this on Vita. I would also love to “No Vita, No Buy”, but I think I’d be robbing myself of what looks like a very chiming release on the PS4. Who knows, this game does well enough, perhaps one day it does get ported to whatever your favourite handheld is then.

*charming, not chiming. Obvs.

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history