Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age is coming to PS4 in 2017

The classic PS2 JRPG returns next year with new features

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age is officially making its way to European shores in 2017! Players can expect several modern advancements when they return to Ivalice, including a reconstructed battle design and a revamped job system. I am excited for European gamers to experience several all-new gameplay features, including The Zodiac Job System and Trial Mode for the first time!

Updated graphics

We’re thrilled to give players a chance to return to Ivalice in Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, so we’ve updated the visuals to full HD resolution, including the environments, characters, and movie scenes to make sure they look their best on PlayStation 4.

#07 - 20140604-0190#08 - Co_Op (5)

Newly recorded soundtrack

Final Fantasy XII’s soundtrack features some of the most beloved songs in the series’ history, and this was a perfect opportunity to revisit its epic score. We’ve re-recorded FFXII’s background music using the current generation of sound production, now in true 7.1 surround. For the purists out there, you have the option to switch between the new and original versions of the score at any time.

#07 - 20140604-0190#08 - Co_Op (5)

Improvements from the International version of FFXII

Hardcore Final Fantasy fans in the US may remember that an International Version of the game was released that included a new character growth system, as well as various other improvements to the game’s interface. We are happy to report that The Zodiac Age integrates all of these features and updates, so fans can finally experience them for themselves. Modern advancements including PlayStation 4 Trophy support and Share functionality, auto-save, shortened loading times, overlaid location map and more are new!

I am excited for both new and returning fans to enjoy the world of Ivalice! Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age is set to launch on PlayStation 4 next year, but we’ll have more to share before then. Stay tuned to PlayStation Blog for more information as we get closer to its 2017 release.

0 Author replies

One of my favourite games of all time (along with Tactics Ogre Let us Cling Together)! Cannot wait to play through this again, way more exciting than FFXV.

Hell yes, always wanted to play the Zodiac version in English!

(Didn’t like how all the characters became more or less the same in the original, putting limits on their grid progression was a smart move)

FantasyMeister 06 June, 2016 @ 14:13

Thank you so much for Remastering the International version. I’m currently playing through the X/X-2 Remaster with the re-recorded sound and it’s a great experience!

Can’t wait!

Please bring the other FF games with Trophy support <3

Lt_Fed_Brusque 06 June, 2016 @ 14:15

I’ve been hoping for this for years :) But can we safely assume there won’t be a Vita version like X/X2-HD? I was hoping for a portable version to play on the go.

No Vita or PS3.

What about hardcore fans in EU? They don’t remember it? ;)

Anyway, I never was a big fan of FF XII. It’s the only part which I never finished (and I played every part excluding FF XI)… I tried a several times. But for me it will only be a part since which series started to take wrong path. The music and story was somewhat lackluster. But hey that’s just an opinion.

Don’t get me wrong… Final Fantasy XII is a good game, though I still think that it would be more fitting for it to be just called Vagrant Story 2. For me Lost Odyssey is the true FF XII game… and I would fall in love with SE once again if they somehow convinced Mistwalker to release it on PS4 AND VITA.

P.S. I’m getting the feeling that PS Vita killed Matsuda’s dog. The ammount of hate for the system from Square Enix is amusing.

It’s the only one I ever finished.:D But I don’t remember much.

Unfortunately i seriously doubt a rerelease of Lost Odyssey is gonna happen on any Playstation platform since Microsoft financed the development of it and Blue Dragon.

I got horribly stuck in this game I think it was in a sewer system or something, definitely an area with lots of water ways and some sort of system for selecting which gates were opened. In the end I gave up. :) I enjoyed it until then though.

Sewers? Those under Rabanastere?

That’s more or less begining of game. Did Ashe join your team?

Blimey, no idea. Long time ago. I seem to remember that there were three rotating controls that opened up and closed various paths through the area. They may not have been sewers, I just remember water.

KaneTheGoth 06 June, 2016 @ 16:34

I think I remember that place, there was a giant flan down there. lol.

Show more replies

Played this game like 5 times. More than 600 hours of gameplay. Never regreted it. Best game on PS2 along with RE4. Day one purchase

600 hours, SERIOUSLY!?

@Franzkill, Yeah! I am a psycho! I have some problems with FFXII and RE4 on PS2. Played them like there was no tomorrow :) Especially FFXII. I think it is the best video game ever (along with Persona 3)

Don’t listen to Ondore’s lies!

ZeroAbbadon 06 June, 2016 @ 18:56

Where’s the leading man when you need him…

reggyx3clover 06 June, 2016 @ 15:08

No Vita no thank you, and here I thought that they’re also promising for a Vita re-master version

There’s no point putting time and money into a dead format though :/

Tell that to all the developers still making and people like us still buying games. It’s not dead despite Sony’s best efforts.

X_Blood_Curse_X 06 June, 2016 @ 15:25

No Vita version is disappointing, but I’ll bite if the price is reasonable

HomessaHomem 06 June, 2016 @ 15:42

Vita Version, Pllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-eeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaase!

No vita, no buy. It’s simple.

Oh i’m sooooo in!!!

pinkplaybunny 06 June, 2016 @ 17:07

Is FF X HD going to get a patch to add in the extras that the recent PC version got with God mode, avoid encounters etc like we got with 7? I hope you will not just release another console version of FF X with those extras so we have to buy it again. Also is this one going to have those extras? please

omg I wish to inquire about this too.

DoYouLikeMyID 06 June, 2016 @ 17:32

AWESOME! One of the few Final Fantasy games I’ve never played, but have wanted to play for a long time. Man…

Kingdom Hearts II.8
Final Fantasy XV
Star Ocean: Integrety and Faithlessness
Nier: Automata
Kingdom Hearts III
Final Fantasy VII Remake
And now Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

So many Square Enix JRPGS to look forward to… How in the world will I find time to play them all? :)

World of FF too

Same problem here plus i want to get other rpgs like Atelier Sophie The Alchemist Of The Mysterious Book and Odin’s Sphere leifthrasir + Grand Kingdom. MIght just have to take a sabbatical year of work or something ;)

And then theres I Am Setsuna from Square Enix as well

CaptainWitwicky 06 June, 2016 @ 17:35

Finally… ! ;)
Been waiting for this for so long.
Will we be able to choose between the standard or Zodiac System gameplay or will only one be included?

I’m hearing a cow scream in agony. It’s being milked to death.

I was thinking on giving it a shot again if a remaster edition like FFX was for the PSVita. I guess I’ll pass on it, #NoVitaNoBuy

Fantastic, this is the one that I’ve been waiting for, day one purchase, or day -100 if there’s a pre-order of a nice collectors edition.

I can’t wait to get back into the world of Ivalice, this truly was an RPG that was ahead of its time, pushing towards as open a world as the PS2 could manage before open world became a huge thing. I loved the Dune-esque political story and massive amounts of side content, so I’m looking forward to putting another 150 hours into this.

I’d rather put 150 hours into Persona 5. Buuuut, I don’t think there’ll be a European release til PS6 or so.

Inherentdragon 06 June, 2016 @ 18:36

This one and Final Fantasy VIII I never completed,not because I disliked them but I think I got stuck..spent about fifty hours on this one though.yeah the characters were pretty boring but loved the game.May be tempted but personally I’d rather see Kefka in HD..:)

would love to play this, long live JRPG. but first, comes FINAL FANTASY XV. i’m excited SE are really doing well in the west.

Z-A-I-D-A-N 06 June, 2016 @ 19:11

Best RPG News I’ve heard for 2016. I’ll pre-order/day-one purchase this game without hesitation. Played it so many times on PS2/PC, and it is still standing as one of Best RPGs of All Time IMO.

BTW, I don’t want a Vita version, I want to enjoy the game with its FHD updated visuals and 7.1 surround sound on my Big Screen and Sound System! I don’t know why people would want to play this great game with its new features on a tiny screen with stereo speakers, or is it mono? :P

Consumer choice? A lot of these recent remasters still show their cracks and age on modern big screens no matter how much they’ve tried to upscale the textures, not the case on the Vita.
Also the Vita is you know, portable…

This totally made my day! Gonna pre-order as soon as there is a nice collectors edition available. <3 Love you SE!

Balhtier in HD? Fran in HD? Sexy Balhtier in HD? Sexy Fran in HD? Yepp I’m there day one!
Throw up a kick ass CE please! ^^

Video game character…sexy? Ummmm, okay…I’ll be over there. Carefully watching. Darts laced with Haloperidol handy.

That great! Revenant Wings should have been included. Please include a Dual-Audio option this time. Most of the publishers are giving the opportunity to choose between English and Japanese VA in their JRPG. If not, forget about my purchase.

amazing news,the one final fantasy i never finished,cant wait, got about half way through and ps3 came out,so never picked it up again, crime i know, but looking forward to it now

shuyin_zer0 06 June, 2016 @ 21:38

Could you ask if it is possible to have the option at the start of the game to choose between original or zodiac boards (like with the Sphere Grid in FFX)?

Yes yes yes, yes and yes.
Can’t wait to take advantage of Ashe’s skirt angles one last time. But now as a man(child) with a partner (don’t leave me pls).

Oooo no more Forbidden Chest BS! Thank you kindly RNGesus Anti-Dice.

You know what would be grand? a Vita release. Exactly how Final Fantasy X was released. I’m only really revisiting games like this or in general on the vita. We never even got Final Fantasy Type-O which might’ve actually properly connected with it’s audience if it was released on the Vita.

Hopefully this port will get rid of the bloody awful inverted camera controls. I was dumbfounded when I realized there wasn’t any option to change it.

you are abel to change you controler setings in ps4 menu if i am correct

This is great news. I was worried that FFXII would miss out on the HD upgrade; it would be a slap in the face to play FFXII in SD after playing FFX/X-2 in HD.

It would also be great if those three games were released in a bundle.

RustyTachikoma 07 June, 2016 @ 10:38

I’m glad this game is coming. A Vita version would help a lot finishing such a massive game.
Yeah, I know Vita owners like me are like a broken record at this point lol

FF XHD was brilliant for my Vita and I really enjoyed it, its a a shame that XII will not be getting the same treatment as I would love for a Vita version, but I guess if X’s Vita version didn’t sell that well I would understand. This is one of the few FF games I haven’t played so I am looking forward to this regardless.

Hopefully this release will lead to a PC port sometime in the future after the release of the PS4 edition. This is 1000% guaranteed to happen (just look at what happened to FFX/X-2 and FFIX). The more the better :)

I’m so glad they decided to remaster the version with the actual good job system, that pretty much makes my purchase a no brainer.

This is amazing news! Especially the updates to the battle system. Cannot wait for this.

best ff on ps2

only 1 ting i need stil from ps3
= game never came out in euro
= monsterhunter 3 from capcom

pablo-hassan 08 June, 2016 @ 09:14

Soooo excited for this more than FFXV! This is in my top 3 of FF games! I have a leg tattoo sleeve dedicated to FFXII!

Nice avatar.

Really happy to see this – FF12 has the most to benefit from an HD remaster of all FFs. I think, perhaps, I’ll wait to see some more representative trailers before I start running around with my hair on fire, though.

chamberkeeper 11 June, 2016 @ 17:21

Please make happen vita release.
Another way is to close or relaunch vita to end her misery.

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history