Insomniac’s new PS4-exclusive Spider-Man game revealed – watch the trailer

The Ratchet & Crank developer presents its take on Marvel's storied webslinger

Hey everyone. Today at PlayStation’s Press Conference, we revealed our new Spider-Man game coming exclusively to PlayStation 4 (surprise!) You can see the trailer below. There are a few fun details embedded throughout the piece, so take your time watching!

From a personal and professional standpoint, this is a dream come true. I’ve been an avid Marvel fan all my life. When I first learned Insomniac was approached by our long-time friends and collaborators at Sony Interactive Entertainment with the opportunity to create a blockbuster Spider-Man console game experience, I practically ran into Ted’s office professing my passion for Spider-Man – along with a desire to serve as creative director.

Fortunately, there are many more longtime fans and professional admirers of Marvel at Insomniac. From comics to films and TV, Marvel has a stellar reputation for unique characters and storytelling filled with personality and humor. Those are tenets we value deeply in our own craft.

From our first meeting, Marvel, Spider-Man and Insomniac have felt like a match made in heaven. So much so that for the first time in Insomniac’s 22-year history, we’re working on an IP that didn’t originate in-house. We love building big games, with incredible gameplay, deep stories, and beautiful graphics. Spider-Man is one of the most iconic and well-known characters in the world, and we’re thrilled to be given the responsibility to create a brand-new, authentic Spider-Man story.

Nope, this isn’t the same Spider-Man you’ve met before, nor is our game based on the upcoming movie. This is a more seasoned Peter Parker who’s more masterful at fighting big crime in New York City. At the same time, he’s struggling to balance his absurdly chaotic personal life and career. All while nine million New Yorkers depend on him for their safety… no pressure indeed.

Spider-ManSpider-Man

This collaboration also allows us to quickly return to action developing on PS4. Having released Ratchet & Clank, we feel confident in our ability to create a showpiece for the console. And we’re downright giddy bringing Spidey’s acrobatic abilities, improvisation, and web-slinging to life. But we also want to introduce new elements that players have never experienced with Spider-Man, ranging from traversing with parkour and utilising the environment, to new combat and blockbuster set-pieces.

We can’t wait to share more about our Spider-Man game in the months to come. For all the latest, follow Insomniac Games on Twitter or Like us on Facebook.

18 Comments
0 Author replies
pixellated_man 14 June, 2016 @ 03:50

One of the highlights of a fantastic press conference for me. Insomniac working on a Spider Man exclusive for the ps4 was one of the the pre conference rumors I most wanted to be true.

X_Blood_Curse_X 14 June, 2016 @ 04:24

Well I was expecting Sucker Punch but this is awesome too. Show Activision how it’s done!

Carnivius_Prime 14 June, 2016 @ 07:49

Not much of E3 has appealed to me whatsoever (kojima and PSVR just get a big ‘Meh’ from me) but a Spider-Man game by the company who gave us the superb Ratchet & Clank series sounds like a lot of fun! :D

A big meh to me.

A major disappointment that Insomniac are working on a Spiderman game which should have been left to a B tier studio, not a AAA studio like Insomniac.

Once it doesn’t delay the next Ratchet game I suppose but I consider this a low point of the conference.

Carnivius_Prime 14 June, 2016 @ 09:43
4.1

I consider it the only actually interesting thing in the entire E3 as far as I’m concerned. I’m very keen to see their take on it cos they know how to make proper FUN games unlike a lot of the other stuff on show there.

This is the thing that set us off. The Spidey game that Spidey deserves after all these years.

Wow, I’m really happy with this.
I’ve only just realised that this isn’t by Sucker Punch though. I read the article but my brain naturally assumed that when it read Insomniac that is was actually reading Sucker Punch?
Very glad that it is Insomniac though, I’m a big fan.
Also, it hopefully means Sucker Punch are working on a new inFamous.
Maybe with the return of Cole?

Music is awesome.
Possible story theme (wear/not wear-be spidey/be peter) is awesome.
Gameplay looks solid.
Going through the city seems great like spidey2.

I’m excited.

It doesnt follow film routes. Great

This really looks like a good Spiderman. Well done Insomniac. I haven’t been this excited for a super hero game in many years. Everything looks so fluid and beautiful. Can’t wait to see more!

jamesblade01 14 June, 2016 @ 15:32

I like the idea of a new Spidey game but why not make it available to Xbox?

9.1

Because it would be a lesser game on the xbone. Ps4 is stronger and has waaaaay more sales. All very logical reasons to not release a Sony owned franchise on their lesser competitors console.

Now they can concentrate on making it amazing on one console and max out graphics and gameplay without having to figure out how it would need to work on a lesser console.
Look at Uncharted 4 and Ratchet and Clank on ps4. Both exclusive and looking and playing amazingly. These two titles would never look as good on the xbone, actually none of their own exclussive game are any where as good looking as Uncharted or Ratchet.
Sorry man, get a ps4.

alice_push_lara2 14 June, 2016 @ 18:49

where is Resistance 4???!!!!!!

I’m so all over this!

PG-Wackiest 14 June, 2016 @ 23:25

I may have squealed when I heard this news, where can I pre-order? :P

jellyhedgehog 15 June, 2016 @ 10:22

It looks good. I’m not keen on the white spider symbols though. Would be better black.

When you will go on sale ?

Day one, im sold. Im so glad I got a ps4, this e3 was amazing and Sony had the best conference still Ms and Nintendo had amazing games in their conferences. Still Sony won, that should tell how good sonys conference was.

I am very excited for it

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history