Resident Evil 7 Biohazard unveiled for PS4 & PS VR – play the demo now

The latest entry in Capcom's horror series launches on 24 January 2017

Horror fans all have one thing in common: we live to be terrified. Capcom has heard fans’ masochistic cries for a Resident Evil game far more terrifying than anything that has come before it. Resident Evil 7 Biohazard is the harrowing homecoming you’ve been waiting for.

Capcom announced Resident Evil 7 Biohazard, the next major entry in the famed Resident Evil series, today during PlayStation’s big E3 2016 press conference in Los Angeles.

While Resident Evil 7 draws from the series’ roots of atmospheric survival horror, it also delivers a whole new level of terror. In the classic Resident Evil games of yesteryear, players braced for fear in the first-person via the creepy door-opening scenes, and Resident Evil 7 ramps up that tension with an immersive first-person view and a photorealistic graphical style.

Capcom is able to achieve a shocking degree of visual fidelity thanks to the new and fully VR compatible proprietary in-house RE Engine. Last year’s “Kitchen” tech demo for PlayStation VR was in fact built on this new engine as well. With the RE Engine plus industry leading audio and visual technologies, you experience every abhorrent detail up close and personal in Resident Evil 7. Compatibility with PlayStation VR escalates the unsettling feeling of presence to a level that horror fans have never experienced. No Resident Evil you’ve ever survived can prepare you for this.

Of course, a horror story is only as frightening as its setting, and Resident Evil 7 pays tribute to the franchise’s origins on this front as well. Resident Evil 7 is set after the events of Resident Evil 6, taking place in modern day and revolving around a foreboding, derelict plantation mansion in rural America. Players must explore and survive the horrors within the mysterious, sprawling estate.

Courageous PS4 owners can get a taste of this new chapter of Resident Evil by downloading the “Resident Evil 7 Teaser: Beginning Hour” demo on PlayStation Store. This free demo of Resident Evil 7 is available exclusively to all PlayStation Plus subscribers at this time, and offers a sense of the intense and terrifying experience awaiting you. We don’t want to spoil your time playing Beginning Hour by offering too many details, so start your download now and prepare to face your fears.

True survivalists who pre-order the Standard or Digital Deluxe version of Resident Evil 7 will receive the Survival Pack, which includes an early unlock to the hardest difficulty mode as well as a special item set when the game releases. Pre-order via the PlayStation Store and you’ll also
receive the exclusive Resident Evil 7 PS4 dynamic theme.

Resident Evil and PlayStation have a long history together – starting 20 years ago with the launch of the 1996 original – and now is the perfect time for fans of both. Experiencing the exploration and immersive atmosphere in the new, unnervingly intimate first-person view of Resident Evil 7 is guaranteed to rattle players on its own. But with the added magic of PS VR it will become the stuff of nightmares when the game releases for PS4 on 24th January 2017.

24 Comments
0 Author replies

I can’t wait till Jan 2017

morpheus2n2 14 June, 2016 @ 08:16

Am I missing something or is the Demo NOT up on the UK store as this article is indicating?!

It is now.

I searched a few minutes ago and couldn’t find it but when I searched for “Resident Evil” and set the “Demos” filter it appeared.

I would say great to have the series going back to its roots, but this looks like it has the potential to be properly scary.
Wasn’t expecting first person either, interesting…
Also, from the video it looks a heck of a lot like it might be a teensy bit influenced by P.T.?
Anyhoo, I’ll be playing the demo when I get home tonight, so I guess I’ll find out!

Looks like an indie horror first person game.

Honestly during the announcemente I didn’t put great attention because looked so random.

Also looks a reboot for the saga. Maybe you are putting the trash drama of the past RE apart.

Number9dream68 14 June, 2016 @ 11:31

So happy They’ve went back to horror roots with series,demo was really impressive.This wasn’t even on my wish list,it is now.

Captain_Nick 14 June, 2016 @ 11:31

Would be nice if you could actually find the demo. Playstation store at it’s finest!

Playing this in VR then never sleeping again

jellyhedgehog 14 June, 2016 @ 12:41

So in Japan is it called Biohazard VII Resident Evil?

Inherentdragon 14 June, 2016 @ 23:09

I’ll be honest,I gave up with the demo because…it was dark,I was alone in the house and I got scared ok?happy now??

The demo isn’t on the New Zealand store. Please add!

c_metzbower 16 June, 2016 @ 10:01
12.1

Sony… you’ve teased us Kiwis for too long now. I have a PS Plus account (which wasn’t mentioned as a requirement in the announcement btw) so can I please play this demo now? Does every country in the world have this except for us? We usually get releases the same time as the UK and Aussies but not this for some reason.

haxor_gamer 16 June, 2016 @ 12:02
12.2

Add the demo to NZ store, I want to play it. (also so it can sit next to my copy of P.T)

trickystrict1996 22 June, 2016 @ 08:30
12.3

Still not on the ps store for nz. Best option ask your friend from another region for it. That’s what I’m doing, using his profile to play

Hydra7againand7 15 June, 2016 @ 12:56

Well, first my eyes won,t believe what i see ?/ this should be RES 7, oh no they fool you. ! But then i realize i was wrong. They make a new res. Evil. One ._._ , where all my whishes, i hope most you RESI-Fans feel a bit like me ? Cause Action RESIS we got enough, most of them i like, the same way you do ! So don,t get me wrong. The fans and worldwide resident evil base,._._ to all who work for this new one RE7, give knowledge give sweat and blood, hearing on the fans who wish an resident change in evil7. YOU DOnE IT. You have worked really hard on this, someone now with another opinion, okay i respekt this.-, but , let me tell you, making good video-games not only and always a moneyquestion. Cause money makes not RE7. We say THANK YOU to you ,woman,man and company, all of you genies can be proud of your work._!!! all i can say is *THANX for RE7* greetz and best wishes for health , luck, and peace on earth !!! ` eckhard sommerfeld, germany ,herford, kiefernweg 7.

Having played the demo it seems that the new Resi is moving away from the action based gameplay of the previous game and has gone for slower, more intimate type of exploration game. I can’t see there being any shooting in this game, possibly more of a run and hide type thing going on here. Being first person I guess there will be a lot of jump scares.

Very atmospheric, you feel that anything could happen at any point but 90% of the time it doesn’t. Got a Silent Hill type vibe from it too.

Not sure I could cope with it in VR though, not without somebody to watch over me in case I ran into a wall or had some sort of heart attack.

Carnivius_Prime 16 June, 2016 @ 15:12

That was not good. Or even creepy. Unoriginal overdone attempt at a horror game that it’s all too obvious and expected and with no genuine tension or surprises… And why does the character use his hands to open the pot in the kitchen yet seems to open drawers with the power of his miiiiind?

These were exactly my thoughts too, everything was so predictable. And the graphics didn’t impress me either. But it’s just an demo, so let’s hope and see what CE brings in 2017.

16.1

@Carnivius_Prime

Stonesthrow 17 June, 2016 @ 13:58

I have been waiting for RE7 for so long, this was such a major disappointment. I’m one of the few who likes the modern RE better and hate anything pre RE4 due to horrible controls. Now I wouldn’t have minded them going for more of a horror atmosphere again (like they did with Leon in RE6) but this complete overhaul is such a major downer. The modern RE’s were some the most technically advanced games coming from Japan (there aren’t many left imo) and they switched it for an Outlast walking simulator that supports VR.. smh/facepalm
Two of my favourite series ruined due to overhaul :( I hope this doesn’t become a new fad, such a lazy attempt at trying to bring new life to a series.

THEarticdragon 18 June, 2016 @ 12:51

Still waiting for the ability to download the demo in new Zealand. Can you tell the nz ps store to hurry the hell up? Been waiting since Wednesday already

Very excited for this game. Feel free to add me

Oblivion1313 24 June, 2016 @ 07:24

I swear it has been out for about a week now and New Zealand still get nothing. This is absolutely ridiculous!!! >:(

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history