Posted

Journey and Lords of the Fallen headline PlayStation Plus in September

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, Badland, Amnesia: Memories also inbound

Hey everyone – the time has come for you to discover your PlayStation Plus monthly games for September. Looks like you’ll be slashing your way through demonic hordes and enjoying a quest to discover the secrets of a forgotten civilization…

First up is Journey. The talented developers at thatgamecompany bring us the critically acclaimed winner of several Game of the Year awards. Finding yourself alone in the desert as the mysterious Traveler, you must make your way to a distant mountaintop. But there is so much more to this sublime experience than simply traversing the world. With stunning visuals, an amazing soundtrack, and a unique online experience there really is something very special about Journey.

Next up is the fantasy epic, Lords of the Fallen. Seeking redemption for past sins, you play as Harkyn looking to end a bloody war between humans and gods. With three classes to choose from, you can tailor the combat experience to your liking. And in a game where every encounter matters and your choices have consequences, the layers of customisation are an integral part of the game. So collect your gear and prepare for close-quarters combat as you take the fight to brutal demon lords.

Available to download on 6th September:

We’ll see you in the comments section – enjoy.

240 Comments
0 Author replies

Do you like this PS Plus update

1.1

Yes I do like it

1.2

No I don’t like it

The_David_Diablo 01 September, 2016 @ 11:29
1.3

Good month and I see that most agree… Just think though, the best part is the Americans and Canadians are footing the bill for the step up in quality. We didn’t do jack! XD

Show more replies

IMO this is a good lineup.

jamie-sixtyfour 31 August, 2016 @ 16:43
2.1

I agree. Badlands is a great cross platform title if people don’t have it – download it!

Looking forward to giving Journey a try and for “free”, I’ll try Lords of the Fallen. Best month in a while!

It’s hit and miss. I have had Journey ever since it came out on PS3 and it was short but great.

I played Badland for 5 minutes then uninstalled it. It was slightly better than flappy birds but not enough to use up 250 Mb of hard drive space. Seems very ordinary.

MisterVesuvius 31 August, 2016 @ 16:33

Wow. Fantastically bad.

nope.

3.2

You dont have plus, so why do you care?

MisterVesuvius 31 August, 2016 @ 17:27
3.3

I care because I’m waiting for both the IGC titles to improve and the full suite of PlayStation services to be enabled in my region before I pay for the service. Why do you care why I care?

Show more replies
StevenJamesHyde 31 August, 2016 @ 16:33

Best update in months. Years, even

nice update right here.

MisterVesuvius 31 August, 2016 @ 16:34

The Americans will be overjoyed to be paying more.

6.1

Bad-MuthaAdebisi 31 August, 2016 @ 19:50
6.2

64 pence per month is shocking extortion

Wow, just wow. Something different :)

Well. I think this is a really good lineup :) Wanted to get LotF for a while. Can’t say no to the Journey either :) As for Amnesia, I am one of those people, that are glad to get a visual novel on Plus, but it certainly is not for everyone. A great improvement over last few months in my book :) Keep it up :)

Outstanding!

An otome VN in a Vita PS+ line up? Oh man, please give us some more VNs for vita then! :p

10.1

Thinking the same ^_^!

Aside from it being on sale REALLY recently, yes I completely agree. Much, much better than first party PSP obviouslytheonlythingleftthatcanbeputupin10seconds games.

Hurrah!! What a brilliant month!! At last, something to really cheer about rather than pretend to :-)

Carnivius_Prime 31 August, 2016 @ 16:49
11.1

speak for yourself. I enjoyed the August line up. This? Not so much.

Oh yes – that’s more like it – thank you so much! Amazing line-up :D

People that don’t think this is a good offering must have crazy expectations. Some good games there and easily the best offering since Rocket League!!!

CookieMonsterES 31 August, 2016 @ 16:39

REALLY good month, thanks Greg!

Awesome games! Thank you!

People slagged off lords of the fallen when games with gold got it.

Wonder if its suddenly good to them now we are getting it.

Anyway nothing for me this month but i have tonnes to play so whatever

warensembler83 31 August, 2016 @ 17:16
16.1

I got it on Steam and unfortunately it’s not that great. It’s ok to try it for free, though. But after having played the Souls games and Bloodborne, it just felt cheap (except for the graphics).

X_Blood_Curse_X 31 August, 2016 @ 17:31
16.2

“People slagged off lords of the fallen when games with gold got it.”

Really? I don’t remember that. Quite the opposite really, everyone was comparing Plus to GwG and saying how much better it was because GwG got Lords of the fallen. :S

Pretty good month. I will play all of them. I was especially curious about Amnesia and Lords of the Fallen. Thanks!

You want me to stop buying digital games? Since that’s what you guys live to give away free later.

Make PS+ optional.

18.1

It IS optional… just not online optional…

BarryBallache 31 August, 2016 @ 16:42

Hasnt Journey been free on PS Plus before? Wasnt that part of the IGC on PS3?

No, never. Most Sony exclusives haven’t ;)

19.2

However, PS+ users were given the opportunity to buy it one week earlier when it released.

19.3

I thought so too but I think it was just free on ps4 for those who owned it on ps3.

As one of the few people that’s never played Journey, I’m super happy with this lineup. Also another VN for on my Vita on the go is always a good thing.

StevenJamesHyde 31 August, 2016 @ 16:42

Datura seems to be a primarily Move-based affair – can those who don’t own a Move controller still play it?

21.1

Yeah you can use a controller. I checked the store page.

SSJVEGETA2007 31 August, 2016 @ 16:42

Great line up, best in a while. Don’t let this be a one off Sony

Not bad!

RodrigoSharingan 31 August, 2016 @ 16:43

A GOOD LINE UP?!?! I must be dreaming.

Datura http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/datura score 57 on MC… And is it ps move only game? And what if people don’t have move, is it theirs problem, or Sonys, that it gives games that people woludn’t play because they didn’t bought useless thing like move?

25.1

lol. Getting a little carried away there…?

It’s not just a Move game, no.

Quick bit of effort searching the store page shows “Recommended for PlayStation®Move but also fully playable with a DUALSHOCK®3 Wireless Controller”. Wasn’t hard.

If metacritic is your sole measure of worthiness of a game, you must not play too many.

25.3

Maybe this is their way of trying to sell a few extra Move units by the time VR launches? You can probably play the game without Move but it’s definitely an experience that was made to be played that way.
Pretty much the only game I enjoyed with Move, together with Heavy rain.

a great offering of games, nice going Plus dudes :). a big game for PS4 & PS3, and some smaller indies, a nice little mix.

Lords of the Fallen is an awesome game to get, as is PoP aswell (theyre all pretty fun) :D. havent played Journey but thats supposed to be very cool too 8)

As far as I’m concerned this the best plus month since the PS4 launched. I have journey already but it’s great for everyone that doesn’t have it.

PS3 is really strong this month I bought Prince of Persia on release and it reminded me of the 2004 game.

Datura – 57 score on metacritic. Isn’t it a ps move only game? And what will do people that don’t have move? Isn’t it again a waste of money this year?

28.1

Nope, still not a Move-only game.

28.2

You can play Datura with regular controller too.

Give it a chance. I actually liked the game quite a lot. It’s certainly not for everyone, but it’s strange and interesting, if nothing else.

Carnivius_Prime 31 August, 2016 @ 16:48

Not as good as last month (seriously I love Tricky Towers especially playing with friends). I didn’t enjoy Journey on my PS3 at all so I really don’t need a PS4 version. May try Lords of the Fallen but haven’t been encouraged by what I’ve seen of it.

supersmith2500 31 August, 2016 @ 16:48

3 PS3 Ubisoft titles in a row (4 unless you count Vita)? Ok.

Also, Journey and Datura are alright but short at the time. You could complete them within hours.

30.1

Ubisoft tend to be more easy to negotiate with than other publishers. You can see this also in how frequently and deeply their games get discounted.

The opposite end of the spectrum has publishers like Activision.

Journey is a great game for those who haven’t played it.

I also thought Datura was pretty underrated too, especially if you have a Move controller to play it with. While Datura does have some issues with controls, it’s very unique and strange for those who like that kind of thing.

Whoops, 2 posts… Great that we can’t edit our comments… :)

32.1

Crazy in 2016 right? I think this is one of the only places on the internet where you can’t edit…

Instead of spreading negativity lets praise Sony for this great month!

Sam_Smith_WWE_93 06 September, 2016 @ 12:35
33.1

I will when they have a great month.

Not too bad. They just need to add Playstation Now when they increase the price.

34.1

Right, because we need more last-gen games that we all played years ago as opposed to modern, relevant ones. Oo If anything, they should drop ps3 and vita support and go fully ps4. Long, long overdue.

I think it would be better to swap the ps3 games out for PlayStation now titles, but would need to be a permanent subscription of the game.

JediKnight246 31 August, 2016 @ 21:03
34.3

There’s plenty of good last-gen games that not everyone has played yet. At the moment there are very few good RPGs on PS4, so what if a PS3 RPG like Dragon Age: Origins turned up on PS4? Alongside the usual PS4 PS+ games of course. There are already cross-buy games that have been included in PS+ before.

Show more replies

Why, why, WHY would they put Journey as the free game when it was literally JUST on a sale – “Oh we’ll put this on sale and get some more copies sold …. and now you can have it for free.”

Fml.

35.1

Lol! I bought Journey for £4.59 during the sale. You can’t blame them for trying to squeeze out a few more purchases of the game before putting it on PS+. I feel the price I paid matched the length of the game & it is quite an awesome experience playing through it.

Sam_Smith_WWE_93 06 September, 2016 @ 12:35
35.2

I got Journey with my ps4. =/

Carnivius_Prime 31 August, 2016 @ 17:05

Ah ya know what. I might be disappointed with this bunch (seriously I just don’t find Journey at all entertaining) but I’m glad other people are happy. Got some of my fave lil titles in the past few months and I got enough in sales to keep me busy and to be honest I spend most of my gaming time on Uncharted 4 multiplayer anyways (and that’s got a big update coming in the next month or so that should finally add the co op modes, yaaay!) I’ll give Fallen and Badlands a go when they’re up and see if I enjoy them

Happy gaming, people. :)

If you haven’t played Rebel Galaxy from last month, go do so now! It’s an excellent space adventure game, you fly around shooting other ships, blowing them up and taking their cargo, doing missions to make money to upgrade your ship to complete story missions. It’s fantastic and totally overlooked. Go play that!

Carnivius_Prime 31 August, 2016 @ 17:45
37.1

This is true. I loaded it up not expecting to enjoy it much but I really got into it.

Really nice selection. Thanks!

Wow, 5 games I wanna play and one I already have (PoP), fantastic!

X_Blood_Curse_X 31 August, 2016 @ 17:09

Badland, a cross-buy mobile port of yet another puzzle platformer. Wish it wasn’t always the Vita slot that gets taken up by one of these.

40.1

So a puzzle platformer is what it is? Darn. Don’t like those. But it’s not a Curve Digital one, is it? That would be even worse.

this is more like it
Journey – great game
LOTF – Good full release game

finally a month to be proud of

My PS+ sub is up this month and for the first time it’s not an automatic renewal for me, i will be closely watching next month to see if i need to renew or if i can let it slide for a month or 2

41.1

Lords of the fallen is not a great game sorry to burst your bubble folks. I guess all you guys care about it the release price tag though

@harrisown I bet it gives me more enjoyment than most of the spectrum rip offs we get every month. I lived through that gen, don’t need to do it again.

warensembler83 31 August, 2016 @ 17:11

I got Journey Special Edition (+ Flow and Flower) on the last sales. It’s a nice mini-game (1h30/2h long).
I got Lords of the Fallen on a Steam sale, and it’s a horrible game. It’s an attempt at copying Dark Souls, but with repetitive mechanics, uninteresting story and mechanics, and glitch-based difficulty. I’ll check the Vita games, I guess…

42.1

Journey in one and a half hour? Dude you surely missed out on something there. Even when I was a Whitecloak and exactly knew where everything was it took around three hours to finish and see everything.

Figures, first two decent games in years and already own them (Journey and Datura). The ps4 AAA saves it a little bit for me, just for the sake of being AAA (too bad it had to be a Dark Souls clone, not my kinda game) but next month it might as well be fully indie again so not knowing we’re certainly getting AAA on ps4 consistently still blows. Forgotten sands for ps3 not bad either but who still plays ps3 these days? Not an absolutely horrible update as usual in general, but personally I won’t be getting anything out of it yet again.

Split the online costs from the PS+ subscription and I’ll be happier. It’s only fair that we shouldn’t be forced into this subscription if it holds zero merit for some of us. Very discriminative business you guys have gotten into -_-

43.1

LotF’s a AAA title? Since when? I thought it was A, at the most AA.

I can honestly say that Journey is one of the best games I ever played. A true masterpiece

44.1

I’m with you on that. Proof that games can be art.

Sony did GREAT this month! It’s interesting to see the difference between the last month fiasco (rather poor games choice and Retro/Grade again) and this INCREDIBLE line-up. Maybe the price “update” for the subscription had something to do, at least this line-up seems to be worth it. I just hope next months will be as good. PLEASE, Sony make an effort always afterall this is for the players, right?

DoYouLikeMyID 31 August, 2016 @ 17:13

I already own Journey, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands and Datura. I can easily recommend people check out all 3 titles, as I really enjoyed them all. And all of the remaining titles actually interest me in different ways, so while I may only get 3 games this month, I have to say, it’s looking like a good selection.

Journey and Datura can easily be completed within a couple hours each, but they’re both really interesting experiences, and very much worth playing, so I definitely recommend playing those two at the very least :)

I’ve heard next to nothing about Lords of the Fallen, but I know it’s an action-RPG, and I really like that genre. So I’ll definitely check it out, even though it only holds a score of 68 on Metacritic :P

I’ve heard some good things about Badland, and it looks like a good fit for Vita, so I’ll certainly give it a try there :)

Show full comment

And I love visual novels, so the game I’m most excited to try this month is probably Amnesia: Memories. However, if I’m not mistaken, it’s a love story from a girl’s point of view… Can’t say I’ve tried that before, so I guess I’ll just have to see how I feel about that :)

All in all, a great month IMO, regardless of me owning half the games already. So cheers! :D

DoYouLikeMyID 31 August, 2016 @ 18:33
46.1

And btw, feel free to keep those VN’s coming for Vita. I LOVE those games on my Vita :)

46.2

Yeah man keep the Vita love up! I would love to see more of these every month :). The Vita is so underrated here.

AlucardTepes_DE 01 September, 2016 @ 01:53
46.3

has for Amnesia: Memories don’t worry about it, I hear it was made in a way that it would appeal to both audiences, even though it’s an Otome game.

Now this is fate, I was LITERALLY about to buy LoF. So glad I waited. Very happy now it’s free. Saved some pennies! Pretty good month to be fair.

You certainly did save some pennies, it’s not a very good game. You might get some enjoyment out of it for free, though. Well, not free, you’re paying for your PS+ membership, but you know what I mean.

Great month. Looks like I’ll be renewing my plus sub on 5th September.

Nice! Journey I have but Lords of the Fallen I haven’t played yet. And PS Vita offering is nice!

Quite good this month, and wheyyy no PSP games

50.1

It hasn’t gave PSP games at all for years?

Sam_Smith_WWE_93 06 September, 2016 @ 12:32
50.2

It’s given a few PSP games recently, I’m not a fan of it, so I’m glad they haven’t this month..

Sam_Smith_WWE_93 06 September, 2016 @ 12:33
50.3

This would be a good month for me if I hadn’t already bought every game in the line up..

Show more replies
Load all

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history