Posted

Red Dead Redemption 2: PlayStation and Rockstar Games announce partnership

Watch the trailer, captured on PS4

For the past 20 years, Rockstar have continually redefined the concept of open worlds. From the record breaking Grand Theft Auto series, the Midnight Club racing games, the schoolyard comedy Bully, to the breakout hit Red Dead Redemption, Rockstar have consistently delivered on a level that few have managed to match.

Now, following up Grand Theft Auto V — one of the most successful entertainment properties of all time — Rockstar is set to return with Red Dead Redemption 2, the latest entry in the Red Dead series of games. And there’s no better place to play it than PlayStation.

Hand crafted to take full advantage of PS4, Red Dead Redemption 2 is an epic tale of life in America’s unforgiving heartland. The game’s vast and atmospheric world will also provide the foundation for a brand new online multiplayer experience.

We are pleased to announce that PS4 players get first access to earn select online content in the vast open world of Red Dead Redemption 2. Check back on PlayStation.Blog for more details soon and for all of the latest information on Red Dead Redemption 2.

In addition, the PS3 classic Red Dead Redemption will be coming to PlayStation Now soon. Relive the epic story of former outlaw John Marston as he hunts down the gang members he once called friends through the harsh and punishing landscape of America’s dying West.

67 Comments
0 Author replies
StevenJamesHyde 20 October, 2016 @ 16:43

“In addition, the PS3 classic Red Dead Redemption will be coming PlayStation…”

!!!

“…Now”

1.1

If it were a remaster Id play the hell out of it!. But PS now? That’s a joke right Sony?… You can pick up a PS3 and RDR for less than the price of a new game these days

Doutrinador666 20 October, 2016 @ 17:08
1.2

Yeah, PS Now is a joke. More like PS wheneverlatencystrikes.

Why the hell would we pay to play a lesser version of the game, which already suffered in loco?

Bah… I get that Sony sunk billions on his bottomless pit, but, no, make it decent to costumers or just close it.

Or keep spending billions forcing it. haha Your call.

SpaceMedarotter 20 October, 2016 @ 18:14
1.3

Last time I played Red Dead Redemption the multiplayerservers is broken, thanks to some glichter that made the online unlplayable.
And there has and still been complains about it in the forms form players.
To this day I am still unable to play the multiplayer. If anyone of you CAN play the game reply this comment I really like to know.

If your wondering to buy the game please consider it or research it before buying it.

Show more replies
Assassin-_-MerKz 20 October, 2016 @ 16:44

Finally……………….Hoping for a Collector’s Edition for RDR2! Shame PS Now is not available in Ireland.

it is i have it but the internet is that bad here its only good in towns or cities

Like the video store we will probably never get PS Now.

Brilliant.

Ugh, PlayStation Now…. why not just make it one of the “classics” or simply enable a backwards compatibility program like Xbox One.

4.1

It doesn’t work like that. The PS3’s architecture is so vastly different that it just wouldn’t work with PS4.

Stop falling for excuses, sony could let us stream if we have the disk in, sony could let us stream from our ps3 to our ps4 if they wanted, they just want to charge us more.

What classics? You mean PS1 / PS2 games? Well obviously RDR is a PS3 game so how would that work? The amount of entitled people who whinge and moan on this blog is ridiculous. If you STILL don’t know why PS3 b/c on PS4 is an impossibility, then maybe you should spend 5 minutes googling why not. The PS3’S Cell architecture is an extremely exotic system, and completely unique in the computing world. There are parts of PS3 that still more powerful than those in the PS4, if you know how to use them properly (and it took third-party developers 3 or 4 years after the launch of PS3 before they even began to take advantage of its little nuances). There might never be a PS3 emulator that runs at acceptable speeds on modern / future machines, so that says it all.

Show full comment

Microsoft performed a minor miracle getting 360 B/C on the XB1, considering how different PowerPC architecture is to x86, but they pulled out all the stops and they did it for good PR (backwards compatibility is the most raved about feature historically, but one of the first to get forgotten as 99% spend their time playing modern games anyway). However, PowerPC is a LOT closer to x86 than the custom Cell. Plus the fact, that Microsoft are predominantly software people, whereas Sony are hardware (which continuously shows on both sides), so they already have the expertise anyway.

Show more replies

“We are pleased to announce that PS4 players get first access to earn select online content in the vast open world of Red Dead Redemption 2.”

I’d prefer it if everyone got access to the content at the same time, but w/e

ste_the_legend 20 October, 2016 @ 17:13
5.1

It will probably just be a particular colour of poncho or horse….

5.2

It will probably be something similar as they have done in Destiny. Timed exclusive weapons, shaders, maps, quests, etc.

Was getting excited for a remaster of the first one at the bottom of the page for while we wait for 2. And then Ps Now pops up Sighh :(

In Poland, we don’t have Ps Now :( So maybe put RDR to pss store for normal buy ? Many users will be happy and buy .

“Hand crafted to take full advantage of PS4”. THIS is the only highlight of this article. Its great to get reassurance about something like this in a world where the PS4 version of The Witcher 3 was butchered because Microsoft paid for the game to be talked up on their console first. It wasn’t until Oct 2015 the game finally got patched properly and didn’t do that 20fps crap on PS4 in certain areas of the map. For me, that alone took away all credibility from that developer.

The rest, online exclusive crap and PS Now crap, no thanks. Being built properly for the console with GDDR5 architecture is good enough news, as proven with just about every single stunning looking PS4 exclusive game. Even Scorpio will get to benefit from that too.

8.1

What are you talking about? Witcher 3 ran perfectly on the PS4, it wasn’t “butchered” just because you had some fps issues with it. Sure it had bugs, but it was on all platforms, not exclusively on PS4.

8.2

“What are you talking about?” I am talking about how the PS4 exclusively had a problem with triple buffering
that wasn’t fixed until the 1.10 update in October 2015, almost 6 months after the game launched.
It caused the PS4 game to instantly drop to 20 frames per second when the game dropped anywhere below 30fps. I’m saying one thing, maybe I went far with the “butchered” statement. In my defense, compared to the other 2 platforms it most certainly was but, come on, “Witcher 3 ran perfectly”????? No it didn’t, that is the problem.

Show full comment

It was a massive issue that should have never happened had the developers built the game properly for PS4 in the first place. The fact the worse looking version of the game was showcased at its reveal at E3 2013 for Xbone took any credibility away from the devs for me LONG before the game came out anyway.

So again, it is a great reassurance to hear from Rockstar Games that they are working closely with Sony to make sure this new game will be as good as it can be on PS4. We never got this reassurance from CD Projekt Red and my fears came true.

What would of been a better “partnership” is Sony & Rockstar making a smaller portable spin-off game for the Vita to compete with the just announced Nintendo Switch.

9.1

Be realistic: The Vita is almost 5 years old, the Nintendo Switch will be new technology. There is no opportunity to “compete” here.

No different than the ds being underpowered compared to psp, and i mean a spin off like chinatown wars was to gta iv

If not then make either a new handheld or a pro model

9.3

I think a new handheld is needed really, 5 years is a decent enough run, but with so many smartphones being able to play games, Sony needs a new unit to remain competitive (in my opinion).

Show more replies
PiccoroDaimaoh 20 October, 2016 @ 17:36

PS Pro 4K support?

Carnivius_Prime 20 October, 2016 @ 18:01

No thanks. I wasted money on the first game on release day after I had pre-ordered it. Mediocre game made worse by all the early bugs and glitches (never died from actual gameplay, just stupid bugs like when crouching behind a rock for cover it would sometimes launch me into the air and I’d die on landing) Actual game itself just felt empty and bland yet I perservered right to the end thinking it was maybe gonna build up to something really epic but it never did. I love westerns but RDR was one of my most disappointing purchases in 30 years of gaming.

11.1

I’ve never heard a single person say that game was a waste of money. If that game was one of the most disappointing games youve played in 30 years then PLEASE enlighten me on what games were actually good for you.

Red Dead had one of the best stories in a game and the gameplay was just as good if not better than GTA V…that came out 3 years later.

Youre in a minority there I think but everyone has different tastes I guess

11.3

Edgelord 2000!

X_Blood_Curse_X 20 October, 2016 @ 18:01

Sounds like a big win for Sony and a huge waste of time for actual Playstation gamers.

“We are pleased to announce that PS4 players get first access to earn select online content in the vast open world of Red Dead Redemption 2”

Is that supposed to be impressive? We know you just wanted the advertisement rights

fps_d0minat0r 20 October, 2016 @ 19:30
12.1

IKR. How does Sony paying to delay content on other consoles benefit us PS4 players in any way?
It disappoints me when I notice the increase in these deals they are doing this gen, and the reduction of investment in new IP’s.

ManikwithaNine 20 October, 2016 @ 18:09

Is online going to be like how it is in GTAV?

13.1

As long as there are private server options so friends can play with friends I’ll be happy.

ScrewThePooch 20 October, 2016 @ 18:36

I’ve waited long enough for this, best announcement since the launch of PS4.

I was hoping red dead redemtion would come to psn. Not red dead revolver. RDR on ps now doesnt help one bit. Living in Norway, ps now, seems unlikely to grace our shores.

A lot of valid points in the comments. I wonder what the ratio of people who want back compatibility vs the ratio of people who want a HD remaster (or even a straight port – it’s a damn fine game) is compared to the ratio of PS Now subscribers?

How does a few online items help anyone? It just fuels more stupid arguments between Sony and XBONE users – nobody has time for that and nobody really wants that!

Hooray for RDR2 though, obviously! (I should’ve lead with that, right?)

Looking forward for the game but don’t care for the ‘multiplayer experience’.
I also don’t like Sony (or any company) buying (timed) exclusivity. That money should go to creating new games not keeping content hostage for others, it’s childish.
Very happy the former RDR is coming to this gen but there is a lot to say for PC where you don’t need to pull your wallet everytime you want to play and old game you already bought.

Would be nice if you hadn’t tripled the price on PSN after the announcement

18.1

What?

OMG… It’s a dream? don’t wake me up

I feel like sony have soured a great game announcement by paying for exclusivity no one cares about and pointing out they want to charge us monthly for a game that is backwards compatible on Xbox one.
Are sony in any way aware of what gamers want?

Rather than withold content an calling it exclusive why not just make a short vr experiance thats exclusive to ps4.

Even sitting in a bar playing the gambling minigames with the usual hustle bustle of a west saloon with a short shootout at the end would be awesome and totally within the realistic boundaries that ps vr offers.

A dream?! I wouldn’t care if it was VR, speaking of which: Meh!

The PS4 can be described in one word: DISAPPOINTING.

THE PS3 showed such promise for future gaming but with the PS4 gaming has hit a brick wall of HD Remasters, re-releases and a tsunami of pixel crap I wouldn’t have played 20 or 30 years ago.

What a depressing state for gaming to be in, after 3 decades of gaming behind me I can honestly say I have never seen the gaming scene look so bad and devoid of any groundbreaking originality.

Jumping back on track: Red Dead Redemption 2? Prelude to the first game?! No thanks!! The combat was done well but online play sucked. I wouldn’t want to go back to WW1 (sorry Battlefield 1) let alone 19th Century weaponry. What a bore it will be for sure!! Bet you can’t wait to hunt legendary animals and herd cattle, again!!

It’s not the PS4 fault for the remasters, it’s a industry wide thing. The problem is that they sell and people want this stuff. The pixel games sell and there is a demand for them. Just because you don’t like them doesn’t mean gaming is collapsing. I do miss games like Puppeteer Sony used to put out but they didn’t sell. Developer’s follow the money and this is where it has led them.

I think Red Dead Redemption 2 is set in the years after Marsden but before the end of the game.

People fail to realise that there have always been remasters, remakes and such, Pacman has come out on every console ever. Option is never a bad think, there are plenty of titles out there that are new, same as other generations.

Footnote: AUTUMN 2017, PRE-ORDER NOW?

Is that a joke?!

Rustyhole_PSN 20 October, 2016 @ 23:28

Will never subscribe to PS Now… to play nearly decade old games (even good ones) from a prev.gen system. I may be stupid, but I’m not Trump-stupid

Nice!

I’m sorry but i had to post this, i do not support this type of exclusive deals, make it true exclusive dlc or don’t do it at all. Make the deals about marketing campaigns all you want but this are business deals i do not condone.

JediKnight246 22 October, 2016 @ 00:22
26.1

Better to not do it at all. At least if it’s only timed exclusive then people on other consoles can still play it at some point. Rather than be excluded just because they went with the “wrong” console.

They say PS4, but would be nice if they specified if its the original or the PS4Pro

Aren’t all games supposed to work on both

Yes, and it will, but thats not the reason for the question.

I dont want to upgrade, so i would like to know if and when i get RDR2, will it be a downgrade what we see in this and future trailers? or will i be seeing something on a console the same as mine?

Its a very valid question in my opinion, and hope something thats thought about when companies publish trailers.

27.3

It will not than likely not look as good as this in a standard PS4 no, but it will look at least as good as GTAV, which is no slouch.

Pettey_Omalley 21 October, 2016 @ 09:58

Really hope they come out with a collectors edition! Maybe have RDR1 for download or a Denix replica pistal with each one.

So we all wait YEARS for anything Red Dead and the first thing they shove down out throats is crappy ‘online console exclusive’ rubbish

Just eewwwww, horrible.

“And there’s no better place to play it than PlayStation.” Those kind of words really makes me laugh. Believe me “Josh Walker” there are and there will be better platforms to play this on other than PlayStation. But we accept the fact that we have existing platform that’s good enough to play this on.
Don’t over react on marketing. It leads to disappointment later on. RockStars rocks. But Sony is ok.

basharat786af567 24 October, 2016 @ 12:18

Nice game

i will never waste money on ps now its a stupid service they should of remasterd this game for everyone to keep not make us pay each time we wanna finish it im sorry but ps now i never liked the sound of it i like to keep my games not have to keep paying a price to play them i know Sony wanna be blockbuster but there not they should of remastard this game its not fair on us ps4 gamers who never bought a ps3 to play this game now we have to rent it to enjoy it i would of perfard if they remastard it instead would of been a smarter move i hate psnow its a rip off

when I got my ps4 I was hoping that rockstar would release a RDR2, I think its safe to say this game is going to be huge, RDR was my favourite game on the ps3 one of the few games that I’ve ever completed on the ps3 because I enjoyed it so much.
BUT GUYS SERIOUSLY A WHOLE YEAR!!!!!
somebody needs to have words with the marketing, nowadays its becoming common practice to announce games way to early.
I think Bethesda’s release time scale is much more acceptable.

This Makes me happy so glade I bought a Ps4 pro

Win should we see red dead redemption on playstation now I just happen to see this please someone let me no asap

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history