Posted

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy rebuilds the PSone classics for a unique PS4 remaster package

Vicarious Visions on tackling the iconic series, and how it’s added all-new fantastic features

We at Vicarious Visions love Crash, and we’re super excited for everyone to play the N. Sane Trilogy. And we know fans have some burning questions. The biggest question : “Is this a remaster or a remake?”

It’s not a simple answer.

It’s practically impossible to make a traditional remaster of the original Naughty Dog games. They’re roughly 20 years old, and technology has advanced significantly in that time. The original code and assets are nearly unusable. Nearly.

But we don’t consider this a remake. We know how much you all love the original games, so we didn’t want to fully remake them. The N. Sane Trilogy is a remaster plus.

Rebuilding a legend

The first step in our remaster plus was to truly understand what made the Naughty Dog games special and why fans still love them to this day. The best way to understand a game is to play it, and boy, did we play the Crash games. We played them to the point that we broke controllers from mashing the jump button too much. We studied original concept art and commercials for inspiration. And we went even further back to understand the material that originally inspired Naughty Dog, including Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and Looney Tunes.

With all of that in mind, we started our work. Using the original level geometry from Naughty Dog as a guide, we rebuilt the Crash gameplay from scratch, capturing its simplicity and precision. As the levels began to take shape, we layered in our own lush and zany art, animation, and audio.

Let’s see the results! Here are some work-in-progress examples of what to expect:

1. Rebuilt levels, based on the original geometry:
  2. TITLE

3. Rebuilt characters, following the original designs:
  4. TITLE

5. Rebuilt cinematics, inspired by the originals:
  6. TITLE

Adding new features

Because this is a remaster plus, we’ve the opportunity to add new features.

Choosing these is a difficult process. We consider numerous things, including the team’s ideas and fan requests, but perhaps our most important consideration is the evolution of the franchise itself. Naughty Dog learned a lot of lessons on how to refine the Crash formula over the course of making three games. So, the first new features we’ve worked on take the best of each of the games and apply them to all three.

Here are some work-in-progress examples:

1. A unified checkpointing & save game system. This includes manual and auto-saving. (Yes, the first game now has a proper save game system!)
  2. Unified menu system. Here’s an example of the Pause menu for Crash Bandicoot:
  3. TITLE

4. Time Trials in all three games!
  5. TITLE

That’s all folks!

These aren’t the only new features for the N. Sane Trilogy. However, that’s all we’re going to share for today.

TITLE

Seriously, though, there’s no time for more. We have to get back to work making the game. (Naughty Dog packed so much gameplay into those original PlayStation CDs!) We hope you enjoyed this taste of the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy, and we’re excited to share more with you soon!

33 Comments
0 Author replies

Some many amazing stuff announced, but this game is the one I was looking for, can’t wait to play this!
Thank you so much for remastering this game!

Royal_Knight13 03 December, 2016 @ 19:31

The faces need more work! But other than that l, it’s AWESOME!!!

This looks amazing so far! I especially love the addition of time trial mode to all three games! I hope we’ll see some Crash 2 and 3 footage soon.

Yeah! Looks great! Day 1 buy for sure :D.

4.1

Definitely!

Please bring back the original fonts! And tone down that fur just a tad lol

It does look impressive though. I am excited to see what 2/3 look like.

5.1

Uhh, he’s meant to be furry, he’s a bandicoot.

Thought original was very over rated so I’ll pass.

6.1

How dare you.

Excuse me mate?

CoolRichy007UK 04 December, 2016 @ 23:46
6.3

Fyi Zachsp8 crash bandicoot was NOT over rated so go back to your shooting games and let us true crash bandicoot fans talkabout how great he is

Show more replies

I’m very impressed so far, but as mentioned above, change the font back to the original.

I will also be very disappointed if this doesn’t maintain the original soundtracks.

CoolRichy007UK 04 December, 2016 @ 23:48
7.1

Total ground up remake mr max they replayed all 3 originals got every resource they can from ye old ps1 crash bandicoots and the soundtrack is remade close to original so hopefully this will sell loads

It could be a good remake/remaster, as long as you always stay true to the original experience. Though some of the improvements you have mentioned seems promising.
Looking forward to see Crash back in action, even if it’s just a remake/remaster of the first 3 (Which were the best in my opinion anyway).

With the remaster of parappa the rapper & this means hopefully I can now start downsizing my PS1 collection

I have full faith in Vicarious Visions on this project, you guys have already done such an awesome job!.

And glad to see Tawna back after… 10 years? Her last appearance was in Crash Boom Bang in 2006 if I remember correctly. By the way VV, I hope you can come up with a better explanation for Tawna not appearing in the sequels than what we actually got: nothing. There was never given an official in-game-universe reason for it.
There was some Japanese manga that gave a really idiotic reason for it, but it was not official.

I’m really looking forward to all the soundtrack remixes, especially all the Cortex themes! (Really hope that an official soundtrack will be released for the trilogy, please Activision?)

It’s all about the gems guys, all about the gems…

I have enjoyed laying the games on PS1, but I have found it difficult to complete that I have forgotten about it for a long time. I hope the trophies for the remastered games will help to complete them.

CoolRichy007UK 04 December, 2016 @ 23:41

Woooohooo im very exited 4 this remaster and if it sells well more crash bandicoot games then you can shake a cortex coco papu papu n,bro pinstripe at day 1 buy 4 me so hurry up and add pre order to ps store as quik as possible

Carnivius_Prime 05 December, 2016 @ 09:22

To be honest I was never that into Crash Bandicoot except for the superb Crash Team Racing but I may check this out.

OMG!! crash orignal is back that’s awesome but , I want CTR and crash bash ^-^

Any enhancements for Pro?

GTA-NERF-SQUAD 05 December, 2016 @ 15:40

NOOOOOOOO!!! YOU KNOW THAT THOSE GAMES WERE LIKE 18+ BECAUSE OF HOW HARD IT IS AND THE BEAUTY OF THE CRASH 1 SAVING SYSTEM IT WAS THE BEAUTIFUL COMPLICITY OF IT THAT PUSHES You TO PLAY HOURS AND HOURS AND LEAVING THE CONSOLE ON FOR ABOUT 2 DAYS

PS:please dont remaster it for kids it was more directed towards adults more

GTA-NERF-SQUAD 05 December, 2016 @ 15:43

ALTHOUGH IM BUYING DAY1 HOPEFULLY YOU MAKE LIKE 4 THEMES

Just some nitpicking
~Just as the previous comments, bring back the original fonts!
~ruin levels lacks life and color
~wumpa fruit delay

Also some requests
~Add the lost levels!

CoolRichy007UK 05 December, 2016 @ 22:22
19.1

Not gonna happen its a full remake jas so no ps1 stuff will be in the remaster

CoolRichy007UK 05 December, 2016 @ 22:21

Where is PlayStation store eu uk pre order usa has it listed on their store already so hurry up eu ps4 store team add the game already like nowww so i can pre order it thx

Increible this game . But i have a dude, this crash remaster plus have trophies?? Who said?

kingofpoprulez 10 December, 2016 @ 09:16

Are we going to get a chance to play the demo at home?

despite my [DELETED] phone I had to log in to show my love. can’t wait! the character designs look great and very faithful! lots of respect.

Whens then release date?

*the

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.