Posted

WipEout Omega Collection announced for PS4 at PSX

Includes all the content from WipEout HD, Fury and 2048, re-mastered in stunning 4K

Attention FX350 pilots… get ready… you are about to race: WipEout is back! Known for its blistering speed, iconic music and pure multiplayer mayhem, WipEout has starred on every PlayStation format since 1995 – and it’s now set to rip through the air on PlayStation 4 and PS4 Pro.

The WipEout Omega Collection brings together all of the anti-gravity racing track and ship content from WipEout HD, Fury and 2048 games. All three are re-mastered and looking stunning in 4K and HDR, running at 60FPS.

WipEout

There are nine modes available in total:

• Zone, Tournament, Speed Lap, Time Trial and Single Race from HD
  • Zone Battle, Eliminator and Detonator from Fury
  • Career Mode from 2048

This spans over 26 unique tracks and 46 unique ship models, which sees the return of all of your favourite ship manufactures. Play with your friends, either with split screen local multiplayer, or online with up to eight Anti-gravity Racing league pilots.

TITLE TITLETITLE

With graphics that have been enhanced to take advantage of 4K displays, WipEout has never looked so good, but we haven’t just focussed on visuals. We’ll have an all-new thumping soundtrack for you to race to, featuring a few classics as well as tracks from the hottest up-and-coming artists. WipEout Omega Collection is a feast for the both your eyes and ears.

Keep checking back for more Wipeout Omega Collection news in the coming months.

TITLE TITLETITLE
TITLE TITLETITLE

58 Comments
0 Author replies

Fantastic Wipeout is back, but a shame it is just bringing back the games I’ve already played to death and not new ones.

Better this than nothing. Buy this and it might encourage them to make a new one.

This is really awesome, but cockpit view Wipeout was kind of the dream experience for VR so it’s kind of sad to see this is just the same thing, again.

Wipeout was the game that sold me on the original PlayStation. Haven’t played these recent versions. Looking forward to this release.

But please, oh please, consider making a version of Wipeout for VR. It would be an amazing experience.

Cross buy or discounts for owners of the PS3 games, please.

Kinky_Friedman 05 December, 2016 @ 09:10
5.1

Is there any precedent for Sony giving discounts for these types of remasters? I’m sceptical that a company like Sony would be so fair (PS Now and so on..).

Will the game be playable in 3D like on PS3? It looked AWESOME as I would play in VR. So playing the game in 2D is not an option for me.

VR please.

PSX? so they are remaking them for the PS1 as that was the PSX.lol

So they now call the PS4 Pro, PSX. stupid really

PSX = PlayStation Experience…the gaming presentation that took place today. Hence the headline saying it was announced “for PS4 at PSX”. (The key word there being ‘at’)

8.2

PSX is the PlayStation Experience, not PS1.

PSX was also the digital video recorder.

I talk back the ps4 pro comment, so the show was held in a PS1.lol

9.1

PS1 is not PSX, PSX was a digital video recorder.

To Sony maybe. The Playstation was known as PSX to many in the 90s

9.3

Not to me. It was just PlayStation.

Show more replies

Wipeout is my favourite! So glad that are bringing to ps4. Hopefully the 2048 tracks will be online at some point

Lose the rubbish 4K gimmick and give this VR support as it should.

Are you crazy? Puke fest!

11.2

If you puke, you’re just weak. VR has never given me any headaches or nausea, and my first stint on RIGS at launch was 4 hours straight.

Kinky_Friedman 05 December, 2016 @ 09:12
11.3

VR support would be cool, but ultra HD is not a ‘gimmick’.

Show more replies
Stokerpoons-79 03 December, 2016 @ 22:47

Boom, finally! This would definitely go some way to convince me to buy into VR if they took the game down that route. Possibly with a free sick bucket.

Cant wait for this. I still play on Vita all the time. Would love if the best one, WipEout Pure was coming up too. WipEout was one of the games that made me really love my Playstation, and sold me my PSP and Vita.

Everyone should be keeping an eye on Formula Fusion if you are interested in a new game from some of the original WipEout devs.

I think some of the tracks are from pure and pulse.

HD and Fury contained the tracks from pure and pulse

I’d totally forgot about Formula Fusion. Been over a year since I’ve heard anything but there have been more recent videos. Looking great, I’ll definitely be supporting the guys from Psygnosis/Liverpool. They had a big hand in Playstation success and Sony go and shut them down like dirt whilst Polyphony Digital get to pump out half-baked games with regurgitated cars every 9 years and survive! An exaggeration obviously. If GT Sport doesn’t do well they could go the same way.

I’ll still be buying this, even though I’ve played them all. I don’t have my Vita or PS3 any longer and need a Wipeout fix. Hopefully it sells and you come to your senses. Closing Liverpool was a bum move.

14.1

Liverpool is now multiplatform. They are currently making a new Wipeout game, but called “Formula Fusion”

Makes me want to get a new tv. Is there anything for 1080p screens, given that the ps3 game was 1080p 60fps?

15.1

Yes, read the article.

1080p and 60fps.

LieutenantFatman 04 December, 2016 @ 08:41

Love some Wipeout, one of the best racers ever. Count me in.

Good for people who didn’t play 2048 on Vita :)

Great news. I have all of them already but I can’t wait to play them on PS4Pro in 4k mode with HDR :) Would be cool if we got new one sometime in the future.

Bring Back Studio Liverpool! =(

19.1

They were never gone.

19.2

That’s not true. Studio Liverpool DID close done, some of the key devs went to form R8 Games who are developing Formula Fusion whilst the majority of the others went to form Firesprite who developed ‘The Playroom’

Is there going to be a vr mode?

deaddoctor2010 04 December, 2016 @ 11:54

Wait… It has all the content I’ve already paid for?
Can I have it now then, my ps3 broke and I’ve been dying to play it on the PS4. :P
(joking)
Can’t wait for this!
Ooh I feel like playing my vita version again (I hope online still works)

21.1

No one plays online anymore and the servers don’t want to work sadly.

21.2

For Wipeout 2048? Um the servers do still work, I was playing a week ago!

According to the US site it will be released on 31 July 2016?!?!

Also, any chance for a demo?

22.1

Want a demo? just play the original games.

@maxdiehard I was asking if it is enhanced in 1080 compared to the ps3 which is already 1080p 60fps.

miky_magawolaz 04 December, 2016 @ 12:23

Thank you!!!

shame there’s no new content, hoping for upgrades beyond 4k. feels like a cheap cash in on Studio Liverpool’s work and all new soundtrack sounds like an excuse to not relicense the original tracks. mixed feelings.

Can’t wait to see lobbies full again :) Share play , recordings , all that good stuff what we was missing on older brother :)) give the leaderboards proper attention so we can attach ghost or/and replays .
And for crying out loud do NOT fiddle with racing and ships physic….

VR mode is a must !

Glad to see it coming finally to ps4 even if its only refreshment to series .

What I’d love to see is all Wipeout games from PSX as one collection in HD/4k (original mode included in options ) with online support for core series fans ,yeah it’s quite a lot for game so old BUT…
there is no new Wipeout game in plans and as far we know there are nobody in Your team who actually could code it for us so I don’t think I’m asking for too much ;)

Thanks Shawn and Team for bringing it back !

See you guys on finish line :)

A new ps4 game would’ve been better, I really liked the graphical look of it on Vita, would be even sweeter on ps4.
Maybe this is a way to see if there’s interest in one? Sign me up for a new one, not this.

WipeOut is back, great news! WipeOut for the VR would have been Breaking-News!

I hope this sells enough to show Sony PlayStation fans still care for Wipeout and they want a new one.

Playstation no be support on wipeout either 1 new game announced ! I am not backing a dead pony! Vita and move and move steering wheel all remind me how you don’t support very well.

CoolRichy007UK 04 December, 2016 @ 23:52

Never had the ps1 games just a demo of 1st game im deffo buyinb this

Any chance of some limited edition DS4’s to go with this. Pretty please?

I did not pay 400 € to play 4K. And do not ppngais the excuse of dizziness. I played thumper without problems and I will play Ace Combat 7. Therefore it is possible to play Wipeout too. And if I vomit I do not care, it’s my decision. It is logical that if you do not get a VR version it is simply because you want to make easy money by removing old games that people have already played and charging them the same for raising the resolution, because 60fps already went before. I have the Platinum wipeout trophies, if I pay again for it, it will be for playing differently and not for playing at a higher resolution. 1080 @ 60 is sufficient. I said, I want a VR version. By your mother. please.

ZukatoNokuchiku 07 December, 2016 @ 19:21

I’m so into this! WipEout is back and I couldn’t be happier. Could this make way for a completely new entry? Let’s hope so.

neurobasher2011 29 December, 2016 @ 11:41

Sony! Please please please include a 3d stereotypic 1080p 60fps mode! That would be reason to buy it. Of course I love the – already near perfect – ps3 version. But playing it in 3d on tv (not vr) in 60 fps would be sooo awesome. – looking also foward for buying formula fusion ;-)

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history