Posted

Sign up for the next PlayStation 4 system software beta program today

Get an advance look at the improvements and new features coming to PS4

It’s nearly time for another major system software update for PS4, and we could use your help beta-testing before it launches. Starting today, you can sign up for a chance to be a beta tester and get an advance look at some of the improvements and new features coming to PS4.

Click here to sign up . You can register to be a beta tester anytime between today and the start of the beta in early February. Users must be 18 years or older. Once the beta starts, we’ll close registration.

Beta testers for our last major system software update, 4.00, got to see things like our overall PS4 UI refresh, Folders, the revised Quick Menu, and much more before launch.

If you’re part of the program, you’ll receive an email with instructions on downloading the beta version of the next system software. In order to sign up, you’ll need a PS4 with an internet connection, and access to a Master Account. And remember — you can roll back to the previous system software at any time.

We’ll be back soon with an update on the features you can expect in the beta.

Many thanks to everyone signing up – especially our returning beta testers! You’re helping us make the system software update even better.

110 Comments
0 Author replies

i have a ps4 pro.
will these be compatible with the beta.

They will be.

1.2

PS4pro is still just a PS4 lol …it’s just a little more powerful then regular PS4 so everything pretty much compatible with it

Wrong normal ps4 cant share specs with a pro the cpu overheats with the new pro patches sony are lying pro needs to have seperate games pro patches upgrade games to run at pro speeds on normal ps4s regardless it doesnt matter if you run 4k or not ps4s cant handle pro patched games it super heats them because the games are too much.

The best part about it is that how it literally gave the version number right after you signed up, even though most of us knew it already. :)

Nothing to be surprised about. It’s almost like it’s the first thing you’ve ever signed up for.

2.2

This the 1st thing you signed up for? Most games/software tell you (Alpha build/ Beta build/ software build ect…)

PS1 emulator please! Not bothered about trophies etc, some graphic options might be nice. Just be good to play my ps1 Vita digital collection on the big screen again.

FallingStickman 12 January, 2017 @ 13:28
3.1

I don’t think PS1 emulation is ever coming to the PS4. However, if Sony would decide to develop one (and they really, really should… *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*) I’d be a very happy man :D

I know there’s some sort of marketing decision behind not developing ps1 emulation for the platform, but if it were up to me I’d hire some of the guys that made a good PSX emulator for PC and have them do it. Build it, release it on the PS Store for $15 and see what happens :)

Carnivius_Prime 12 January, 2017 @ 13:36
3.2

I was gonna say the same thing. It’s nuts that the PS4 lacks this feature especially with the vast PS1 library and how easily the current machine should be able to emulate it without effort. The Vita didn’t have the feature at first but it eventually did get it and so I been using that to access my PS1 purchases for now but would love them on PS4 and able to Shareplay and Broadcast and such.

You’d rather have PS1 than PS2?

Show more replies

DTS for the media player please, a music visualiser and a photo album option, like ps3.

Music plays in the background. Why do you need a visualizer?

so when hes not doing anything other than listening to music the person has something to view. prob be good during the sesh haha

kingofscotland 12 January, 2017 @ 13:45

Atmos Sound, Music Visualiser, pin folders in set positions rather than them moving, external USB support

+1 on pinning folder positions!

External HDD support, totally agree with that. This is probably THE MOST IMPORTANT FEATURE to implement on the current system!

5.3

Yep love this feature on my xbox one. (Have a ps pro to)

Just keep adding sshd’s easily and cheaply.

I ve been waiting for custom wallpapers via usb and more theme customizations for over 2 years now. Please be in this update

PixelElephant 12 January, 2017 @ 13:53

External USB drive support would be nice.

My internal 2TB drive is almost full as I don’t like to delete games I’ve bought.

Xbox One supports this so surely we can get this too on PS4.

yep, i agree pixelelephant

7.2

yeah every console does this even the WII U , i can stand to have to uninstall and delete games on my ps4 pro , and games taking more spaces and updates … PLEASE THAT THE ONE THING SONY IS TOTALLY RIDICULOUS FOR NOT SUPPORTING.

Sony wont do that theres money to be made replacing hdd and when you break the seal sony can add a few updates your disk drive dies and you are not entitled to a fix or replacement its how they keep profits up. Pro patches to normal ps4 games super heat games because they are being altered to play with more power normal ps4s cant handle it. It is all about more money but theres proof they are lying about both being compatible because they are definitely not.

Danziger79

Hilarious

It would be nice if Sony could create a special trophy sound for when we earn a platinum … The regular sound doesn’t cut it when we grind on various games for that special trophy …

pretty good shout that

I hope for Ps1 & PS2 emulator!

Bring back the XMB! Classy interface not the garish clutter that it is just now!

I wonder if they would ever add support for power line adapters…. not everyone’s has the luxury of wired connections

12.1

The PS4 does support poweline adapters, I’m using one right now.

12.2

powerlines adaptors definitely work dude. just plug in your ethernet cable.

iPad remote play incoming!

13.1

Android first I should hope, being only on Sony Phones and tablets is kinda crap

13.2

As long as we can use the Dual Shock 4 with the ipad just acting as a remote screen then I’d love it, otherwise on screen controls are just awful

13.3

Lightning to USB

PLEASE add native bluetooth support so i can use my SONY bluetooth headphones with my SONY games console.

15.1

I get that too . USed to get it on launch windows PS4 and now on the pro. Sometimes I have to completely take myself out of vr and reboot everything. Sometimes I just give up

Ability to change PSN I.Ds? No? Just putting it out there. Might be nice. Been a while now. Pretty please???

seems like they are oblivious to us wanting this, someone needs to look at the money figures microsoft make from this service, it might make then rethink it

Still waiting to install my own themes……………..

“From time to time during the beta we may modify the test software and related content and services automatically and without notice. Modifications may cause loss of data or content and loss of function or utility. You hereby authorise us to make all such modifications and agree that, to the extent permitted by applicable law, we are not liable for any loss of data, content, function or utility.”
This one clause sums it all up. That if you’re new to these kind of things and do not want to waste TB’s of data, then please DO NOT enroll.

Terabytes. Riiight..

18.2

Considering the size of the current System Software I doubt it would be a data worry. This is so they can change things without people complaining they lost a game save or some image files during the change to the beta software.

CoolRichy007UK 17 January, 2017 @ 14:27
18.3

What aload of bandicoots if your trying to scare ppl u failed

I would like to try the beta out and give my review on it

Individual game back ups and external drive support. Though i wouldnt need the first if gave us the second.

A new album from tool would be good.

21.1

Soon…

rayna-monique 12 January, 2017 @ 18:37

ps3 back words compatilty

22.1

You mean PS2 & PS3 disc activation would love it Sony on the hand it will never happen sadly to say it would cost them to much money ( Money they got but not prepared to spend ) it makes them money to download & re-sell them or Stream them. The PS4 is powerful enough to handle both PS2 & PS3 disc but its the chip-set is the only thing that stands in the way & to the fact that Sony don,t want the bother.

But a ps3 disc into your PS4 press X you will get this Message this model does not support ps3 formatted games so the disc is partly recognized.

I would love it then i could play all my ps2 & ps3 games all on one machine playstation now is ok until you loose your internet connection

22.2

Even if they did online features & DLC would not happen trophies may Suffer as it very much wanted though

Ralphierich007 12 January, 2017 @ 18:37

Bluetooth support needs an update can even use my expensive headset lol

Hey Sony, remember back when a firmware update was released and if you had both key and music turned off in sound options, notifications still made a sound? Yeah that wasn’t a bug, bring that back!

Alexandros7575 12 January, 2017 @ 19:19

Ability to change PSN I.Ds please?

Whatever it is I bet its a feature the large majority don’t want.

And a PS Vita firmware that does something would be good

firstilefirstile 12 January, 2017 @ 19:32

Retrocompatibilidade com jogos de ps3.. seria pedir muito?

Please come with some PSVR improvements like fixing the drift problem!

Bring back the old notifications please!

It would be good to change psn ID. Optional game icons in ps store. Download support for movies!. Ps3 digital game purchases retrieval from ps4 store. Intergration of all ps3 digital games in store to buy. Option to delete demo’s and beta’s from purchases in library!. Vue tv please. Amazon store app. Email app. Netflix offline download support. Remove the file icon, in created folders. PlayStation now offline support. 4Tb hard drive support. Optional ps plus membership online and online + games. Music + pictures library download support via USB + external HD. Ps store digital game guide books. podcast app and radio app. Off line Laptop connectivity for screen support. And PlayStation forum and blog app.

Module laptop next sony 3 or 4 cartridge slots on the 2 sides with clip cases hinge lids. plug in like the old games console cartridges for upgrade of all hardware. Console and desktop gaming are out of date, module laptops are the future I hope! PlayStation laptop could be home gaming hub and mobile device all in one, you could even intergrate ps vita with z mobile phone with the same ps store with new games category and the same PlayStation interface. They would be perfect for a very very long time, so come on sony stop wasting time,iI wanted it yesterday!. :-D

Sony PlayStation 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15:-P

How about to be able to modify the notifications! You know change colour and stuff! Tha would be great!

please ADD EXTERNAL DRIVE SUPPORT USB 3. FOR GAMES AND DLC , COS I’m tired since more than a year to have to delete games each time i buy or install a new one , PLEASE that is the only thing that’s matters , what can we do with only 2 TB ( 1,6 available on a ps4 pro with 4K games ?? i dont want to delete and wait to redownload all updates to play a game …please guys back me up on this.

GeNeRaL-HELL_Zz 13 January, 2017 @ 01:53

How To Sign Up The Beta ?

I would love to have ps1 emulation,as long as i don’t have to re buy all of my ps1 classics.
Probably never gonna happen though……

Spectrum, Commodore and maybe Amstrad emulation please with trophies.

Kthxbai.

Carnivius_Prime 13 January, 2017 @ 08:53
37.1

you may be joking but i’d love that (and definitely for Amstrad cos that’s my fave) :D

I hope this fixes the random black screens on the PS4 Pro.
Have tried via PSVR and via HDMI splitter (to bypass PSVR breakout box).
Still get random black screens for a few seconds at a time.

38.1

I get the random black screen at start up with the pro too, sometimes have to switch my tv off and on a couple of times to clear it, no hdmi splitters or PS VR just direct into the TV with the supplied HDMI cable, I’ve found it happens far less when I select 2160p RGB as the display resolution rather than leaving it on automatic

38.2

had the same issue and LG updated the tv start of november, so keep checking for updates on yours.

also check this out. Helped me until the update.

Make sure your PS4 is off
Plug the HDMI into the 4K 60hz port on your TV
Turn your TV on
Hold down the power button on your PS4 until it beeps twice (Safe mode)
Change HDCP setting to 1.4 only
PS4 will restart and you’ll probably still have no signal
Turn PS4 off and get back to Safe Mode (step 4)
Choose change resolution which will restart PS4
If you get an image after PS4 restarts then choose the YUV420 option. Hooray!
If you got no signal still after PS4 restarted then go back to safe mode and go back to HDCP and choose automatic
Got back to safe mode again and choose change resolution and then choose yuv420
If still not working then try the above steps a couple more times

38.3

Alphabetic ordering of folders.
Easier joining of games
Make the feed items smaller.
External HD support and plex server intergration.

Oh god, please be external HDD support. Also option to pin down folders would be nice.

39.1

External HDD support is a must. You’d figure the size of that Pro the least they could do is support 3.5 HDDs

The naivety is adorable.
Of COURSE it will work with the Pro.
Have none of you owned smart phones yet?
This is designed to work on the pro and slow the performance of the classic.
I hate the way tech companies run rings round the public. We’re being swindled and nobody cares.

40.1

Finally someone else noticed they are screwing old ps4 on purpose i know my new ps4 was fine ps4 pro updates come out my games running so hard now it done the cut off due to overheating its ventilated well its been check minor dust intake nothing to clog it. It has to be the pro upgrades to normal ps4 games they burning up ps4s to breaking point and the proofs right there.

Ps3 compatibility please and do away with the vita and ps3 games on plus.

windsorblue01 13 January, 2017 @ 16:51
41.1

Yes sir what ever you say sir lets not bother with the people who have ps3 and vita as long as my ps4 is ok.

Not eveyone only plays on one system you know.

When are you doing the new aura wrath game and will it be on ps4

Pls make internet connection more powerful

43.1

If slow could be a network setup issue

Hope this update fixes the C-34878 error

Guys this update will work fine with ps4 and ps4 pro don’t worry

Please let us change our ID’s

Anybody know if can i see 3D movies on PS4 or PS4 pro like ps3?

47.1

Yup of course you can! Just like with PS3.

Show full comment

Well for me they need to improve the smoothness that had been lacking since the last major update, too many times your left in a loop when trying to access the store and other functions. Every time i earn a trophy i go to sync, it just stays there and doesn’t sync up. I back out and try again and it then syncs, but i’m having to do this every single time i attempt to sync and it’s now very annoying. Furthermore, there are games such as Burn Zombie Burn where 100% is impossible due to the last DLC never being released. Sony should make more of an effort to correct these issues instead of just leaving it there unresolved. Lastly as mentioned by other users we should have the option by now to change our PSN i.d., myself on a personal level have had the issue where i’m being mocked as my i.d. gives away my age and too many times i get crude and disrespectful comments with regards to this. I’ve been using a PS console since day one and have never gone to any other, i’ve subscribed to the plus service since day one also. If Sony want to keep there current customer base they should offer these options to us, instead of giving us lame excuses on why they can’t do this. Surely there is enough cash is Sony’s wallet to implement these actions.

So far sony your patching ps4 games with pro patches i guess you idiots forgot old ps4 cant handle the extra cpu use now and its overheating normal ps4s your patch dont just fix how it looks on pro you are altering how they work on a normal ps4 ff15 for example heated up so much my ps4 shut itself off its well ventillared there wasnt enough dust in it to clog it your [DELETED] patches are breaking our computer i want them stop pro games need axed or sold seperate from normal ps4 games they are not compatible regardless of what your team say they and you are lying.

49.1

Breathe.

Punctuate.

Woooosaaaa.

we need change user id, pretty sure everyone will be willing it pay, that money income will be huge, think of everything it can fund, services, new games, current projects, exclusive deals, publishing rights, dedicated servers and best of all itll be for the players, they’ll be happy ;)

Load all

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.