Posted

PS4 system software 4.50 beta starts today

Get a run-down of the biggest features in the forthcoming update.

Starting today, those of you lucky enough to be chosen for the PS4 system software 4.50 beta (codename Sasuke) trial will be able to get your hands on the new features from the forthcoming update. Keep an eye on your email inbox – if you were chosen, you’ll receive an email with details of how to download the update and get started.

In the meantime, here’s a quick overview of the biggest features coming your way. For this update, we’ve focussed on some of the things that you, the PS4 community, have requested most often – including external HDD support, custom wallpapers and more ways to connect and share with friends.

External HDD support

Struggling to find space for all the games you want to play? Well worry no more; you can now connect a USB 3.0 external HDD and download, save and install games, apps and add-ons directly onto your removable HDD. You can also move any games and apps you’ve already saved onto it to help you stay organised.

When you connect the external HDD, everything will be accessible from your PS4 Home Screen as normal. What’s more, your PS4 will support an external HDD up to 8TB in size, giving you a huge amount of space to play with.

PS4 system software update 4.50

Custom wallpapers

If you’ve captured a truly epic in-game moment with the SHARE button, you can now set it as the background image for your PS4 Home Screen. To make sure the Home Screen icons and text don’t get lost against your new wallpaper, you can tweak the drop shadows and brightness of the menus to keep them clearly visible.

If you’re feeling particularly creative, you can also use SHAREfactory’s Photo Mode to edit your screenshots and make something entirely unique to use as your wallpaper.

PS4 system software update 4.50PS4 system software update 4.50

Quick menu refresh

System software 4.0 introduced the Quick Menu (accessed in-game when you long-press the PS button on your DUALSHOCK 4) and the latest update further enhances this popular feature to make it even more user-friendly.

The Quick Menu will cover less of the game screen, and you’ll now be able to create, join and manage Parties on the go, meaning you can connect with friends without having to leave the game.

PS4 system software update 4.50PS4 system software update 4.50

Post status updates to your PlayStation Network activity feed

Just like updating your Facebook status or posting to Twitter, you can now post updates directly to your PSN activity feed. You’ll be able to add simple text updates, tag friends, add screenshots and include specific games, then send your updates to appear in the What’s New section for all your PSN friends to see.

You’ll also be able to send your in-game screenshots to the Live from PlayStation section as a Public Activity, meaning players from around the world can see your best moments as they happen.

3D Blu-ray support for PlayStation VR

If you’re a PS VR owner, you can now use your PS4 to play 3D Blu-ray discs and watch them in stereoscopic 3D via your headset.

This is just a taste of the features included in system software 4.50, so make sure to keep an eye out for more information, including launch timing, in the upcoming weeks.

For those taking part in the beta trial, we hope you enjoy trying out these new features and, as always, your feedback is really important to us.

301 Comments
0 Author replies

Hmmmm, would be nice if loading times could be improved by hooking up an external SSD. Can’t wait to try it out!

1.1

The USB cable’s bandwidth would be a bottleneck and you’d never get anything close to SD read/write speeds

DukeBlackadder 03 February, 2017 @ 13:53
1.2

Put the SSD internally on SATA and the HDD externally on USB.

SSD over USB 3 should be able to beat a 5400rpm drive easily. The drive I got now is 120Gb, not enough to build it into the console, otherwise that would’ve been option one obviously.

Show more replies

thx finally for external HDD support , i hope we can launch games DLC saves from them like on xbox one , it would be perfect. cos i was struglling since 2 years with only 2 tb…

Steve_Of_The_O 03 February, 2017 @ 13:08

Well this is just pure win!

ruben_carreragtr 03 February, 2017 @ 13:10

Hope to be “beta tester” xD

4.1

If you didn’t sign up a month ago, you won’t get in.

How do you sign up?

4.3

MaxDiehard I always sign up and never get in

Show more replies

External HDD support and wallpapers are great!

I been able to use my external HDD since last year to watch movies etc not new

@Iain79 This is not just for movies, it’s for games as well

Yes of course, tgey would mention a feature as new when its been around for ages already. Come on…..

Still can’t change our PSN IDs.. :(

6.1

Also waiting for this feature for years….
Heck, I could even pay AAA Game price for the ability to change my ID at least once.

They already said years ago that they wouldn’t add that.
They may change their mind some time down the road. But don’t expect to get a feature they have already said no to. Waiting for something that has already been negated is not that smart.

SixthCrossPlay 04 February, 2017 @ 21:51
6.3

Damn, didn’t know others wish to do that too…
same here so wish could change my PSN ID to something cool

Show more replies

3D Blu-ray support for PlayStation VR = This very good!

External HDD support, big THANKS for that!!! :D

Finally external hard drive support. This alone makes this my favorite update ever. Thank you Sony

never having to delete Last of Us from the internal drive to be able to install and play newer games :’D

3D Blu-rays on PSVR is cool! Glad to see continuing support for PSVR.

Oh I do so hope those “more features included in 4.50” encompasses setting the internal rendering resolution on the Pro to 2160p then downsampling to 1080p display as a system function. There are not many, but some quite noticable games that run without any supersampling for 1080p users, while Mark Cerny openly promised supersampling as a key benefit for those!

11.1

This is a BIG issue for 1080p PS4 Pro owners.

Sony, please take a look at this.

Star-Buck-Apollo 03 February, 2017 @ 17:36
11.2

Just seen a Eurogamer article translated from Japanese regarding a PS4 Boost mode for unpatched software. Hardware supersampling is what I want the most. Gutted that ND removed the option from TLOU when they had no reason to.

externall hdd at last, one reason ive been buying more games for xbox lately is that i have ran out of room on my ps4 1tb and couldnt be bothered upgrading again

Still no DUAL audio out via headphones and HDMI at the same time but a great update !!

13.1

This is something I desperately want for chat audio also. My headset requires me to change the audio device every time I use it else I have constant audio drop outs. Would be nice to have the option to set to both or have it stay on my prefered choice!

13.2

I also want this.

MySecretMachine 04 March, 2017 @ 22:27
13.3

Been waiting for this as well! Crazy this hasn’t been implemented yet!

External HDD is just what i need now that i have 500GB SSD in my PS4PRO! Thank you for listening Sony!

I wonder if this update will fix the display issues caused by the last update on some of the 4k UHD TVs.

More space storage, less deleting stuff! THANK YOU!!!! :D

when we can put Trophy list in alphabetical order?

Hmmm, notable that it doesn’t say you can play from the external HDD, just move stuff around to make space.

18.1

It does, mate;

“When you connect the external HDD, everything will be accessible from your PS4 Home Screen as normal. ”

I suspect that’s why it’s saying it has to be a USB v3 HDD.

“you can now connect a USB 3.0 external HDD and download, save and install games, apps and add-ons directly onto your removable HDD”

Why would you be able to install games directly to external hdd without being able to play from it?

18.3

This is what happens when developers / publishers [DELETED] too much. Consumers start over-analyzing, thinking “it’s too good to be true”, with a lingering sensation Sean Murray is somewhere laughing maniacally. I wonder if my external HDD will be able to see other external HDD if they happen to come across one another. I know the universe is vast and all, but it can happen…

Still no update on 5Ghz wifi connection? My Xbox downloads much faster in that 5 Ghz.

19.1

The PS4 Pro and PS4 slim both have 5Ghz wi-fi and work perfectly

You can’t add 5ghz to an older PS4 as it’s a hardware issues and not something which can be achieved by a firmware update

19.2

ShawnS987 – the wifi adapter within the launch ps4 is only capable of 2.4ghz connectivity. No amount of software updates can change this as it is hardware.

However, if you have the new slim PS4 or the PS4 Pro both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz connectivity is available.

19.3

U have to buy the slim ps4 or ps4 pro to get that 5Hz wifi Signal.

Show more replies

Please Shuhei, let us change our names!

so install to an external HDD :) ty so much can’t wait for this to come out of Beta

cue me getting more games for my ps4 with that bit of news, i just wonder how long after this beta test i get it

Kolorless_Beauty 03 February, 2017 @ 13:47

Hmm… “Status Updates” huh? Close to the status we used to had on PS3 above our PSN name but not quite… wish they brought that back but, we’ll see how that goes. Like this comment if you want to bring comments back! ;D

External hdd support and custom wallpapers have made my day. Thanks Sony. :)

CoolRichy007UK 03 February, 2017 @ 14:10
24.1

Next update animated custom wallpapers ;)

hondacivic1601 03 February, 2017 @ 13:53

really nice update! thank you PS Team

What about Side-by-Side 3D support in the Media Player?

Will that also work automatically with the firmware update?

love the custom wallpapers but can we get custom avatars as well please

27.1

That is possible for a while now, but tied to real name visibility.

You can purchase avatars in the PlayStation Store on your PS4 console. If you have a Facebook account, you can also use a customised image of your choosing as your profile avatar.

Are you going to fix the capture gallery? It’s so bad since the last update, can’t find anything in there anymore!

28.1

THIS! It’s terrible for videos, can’t see the names and the cursor has a mind of its own.

Also, un-trimmed clips exported via USB aren’t encoded properly. Gotta trim EVERY clip, even if you don’t remove any footage.

tech question, with external usb 3.0 hdd support, I take it (unwritten thus far) that the data stored on the external hdd will be locked to the individual system, rendering all the data useless should you have to change your system via an upgrade/replacement?

CoolRichy007UK 03 February, 2017 @ 14:07
29.1

Its all tyed to your account so if you got a ps4 ps4 pro or have to replace your ps4 every game etc all tied to your account

CoolRichy007UK 03 February, 2017 @ 14:10
29.2

Oh and put back closing apps with options button Not ps button sony and not telling us you changed closing apps with ps button when options button was better to close apps naughty sony !!

29.3

Of course that’s not listed. However, considering the way the internal HDD works, encrypted using a key just for that PlayStation, I would not be surprised if it formatted any external disk the same way. But who knows.

Show more replies
CoolRichy007UK 03 February, 2017 @ 14:06

I hope the custom wallpapers for main screen are easy to set up and i bet a future update we can add custom animated wallpapers and icons or a custom wallpaper creator also can we use images from personal photos as wallpapers like forrest photos etc

Wow !

great update! cant wait to try it out :)

I hope this update will include a filesystem optimization to take full advantage of SSDs, since it still has HDDs in mind. Also, I hope the overall UI will be smoother and more fluid, it’s become a bit slow lately.

wow external hdd support. welcome to 2012, sony!

External hard drive storage is really good 8Tb!. But what about internal hard drive upgrade? Considering scale whats the highest internal hard drive possible ? It’s 2 Tb at the moment. I think 6Tb is the highest because of size of parts?. So is the internal hard drive getting updated? Using a external hard drive is second choice.

35.1

GTIGAMER – Currently the internal HDD can only be upgraded to 4TB as defined in Software Update 3.50. Anything over 2TB tends to be more than cost of the console itself, or it was a while ago.

The launch PS4 had a 500GB HDD as standard and I believe the new PS4 Slim and the PS4 Pro both have 1TB as standard. Seeing as this is all related to hardware, a firmware update will not be able to amend anything.

I don’t think Sony have any plans to add additional HDD capacity in future iterations of the PS4.

Please solve messages problem
Why we can’t delete messages ????????????????????????????????????
when i talk to someone and delete the messages btween us and sent to him again the old messages come back again this is biggest problem ever

HHHHHHHEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPP ????????????????????????????????????

Messages are organised like conversations on the PS4. To not recieve anymore of them from a user, you will need to press the Options on your controller and select ‘Leave’ on the context menu.

*Options button

Nothing for me here. Rather delete some stuff than go with an External HDD. More for digital gamers, I suppose.
Custom wallpapers is ok but I’ll stick to my purchased dynamic themes (Firewatch theme still ftw).
Quick menu I hated since the makeover. I liked it better when it covered my entire screen, it looked better and had a simpler set-up. It seems geared towards quick game suspending now. I only ever use it to quit a game.
Activity feed can go altogether for my part. No interest in VR either.

Only thing I can come up with right now is to support in-ear microphones (that connect to your controller) other than Sony again. All of a sudden all of my Apple or other brand mics stopped working (the microphones at least) and I hate big headsets.

wrong on that front, I happy use a External HDD no questions asked as i was hating deleting stuff and now i can now plan ahead

37.2

Cor! Is this guy Mr Negative or what!!
Smile, its almost the weekend!

games from the disc are mostly all installed to the hard drive, so there isnt even a difference to whether it is from disc or digital. external HDD support is a WIN-WIN-WIN!

Show more replies

Ps I’d name change ?

What about hard drive support for PlayStation movies, there Stream only? It a absolute crime! Why would you do that sony? Please support movies.

39.1

Why bother going through your PS4 for video files when you can just go straight through your TV?

Really looking forward to beta test another firmware.

Glad ypu implemented my ideas about collapsing menu items in the Quick Menu ;)!

HDR pass-through on VR box (for HDR while the box is still connected) and UHD Bluray are the only 2 things left on my wish list

Can we have our DARK/BLACK NOTIFICATIONS back, please? OPTION to switch between white and black would be nice.

42.1

YES – Black. Give it back. (Go to Options to switch black/white.)

42.2

NO – I like my forced white notifications and I like to pretend dark/black notifications never existed before on PS4.

As a PSVR user, I hope the next update will include:
– Trophies and notifications visible while using the PSVR headset.
– Notification sound effects on/off.

It’s very distracting when you constantly hear the notifications sound effect but can’t see them while using PSVR. And I don’t want to turn off notifications manually every time I play a VR game (and forget to put them back on while playing regular games). An option to turn off the notification sound effect only would help keep us immersed in VR.

So cool ????????

wallpapers are not a issue for me, but game icon’s what are push out with the games I buy are, I want a more personal theme to my game collection! I want option for my game icon’s, can this be intergrated to the store from game developers please!. for example game symbol and game name plack options, it would be nice to just have the name of my game on the icon’s, please consider game icon’s in the same light as wallpapers.

Are the e mails out already ?

When are the codes being sent out?

47.1

I’ve just received mine.

Looking good.

AMAZING!!! How do I get a beta of this update?

49.1

missed the boat, needed to register for it a few months back

supersmith2500 03 February, 2017 @ 15:55

Custom wallpapers? HDD external support? I freaking love you!!!

Load all

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history