Posted

PlayStation Plus open multiplayer event starts next week

Play online for free between 22nd and 26th February

With PlayStation Plus, you can unlock the full potential of some of the biggest games on your PS4 by taking them online. Not a subscriber? Well, now’s your chance to give it a try.

From 10.00am on 22nd February until 23.59pm on 26th February we’re opening up the world of online multiplayer to everyone. That’s right – between those dates you don’t have to be a PlayStation Plus member to get online and play the games you love with your friends, family and the rest of the world.

All you need to do is get comfy, pick out your favourite games from your collection, pop them in your PS4 and you’ll find all the online modes unlocked and ready to play!

So you don’t really have anything to lose by trying it out and you never know you might find that PlayStation Plus takes you to places you never thought possible where you can meet likeminded gamers all looking for people to play with.

You don’t need to sign up for anything – just get online and play. If you really enjoy the experience, don’t forget that if you sign up to a full PS Plus membership you also get access to two PS4 games every month, as well as exclusive discounts on PlayStation Store!

152 Comments
1 Author replies

That’s cool, unless you already have PlayStation Plus… like most of us do.

You know what would be nice? And event where, let’s say for a weekend, PlayStation Plus subscribers get to try any game’s multiplayer (or any game in a given list). It would be a nice for people to try out some multiplayer games they haven’t tried yet, and possibly get hooked up…

1.1

“That’s cool, unless you already have PlayStation Plus… like most of us do.”

Don’t know where you’re getting your facts. Last count PlayStation Plus subscribers were around 20 million. PS4 sales are over 50 millon. So even if all 20 million Plus subscribers have a PS4 the majority of PS4 owners DO NOT subscribe to Plus.

As for your suggestion, how does Sony get all those developers on board to give their multiplayer component away for free for a weekend? Plus it’s it kinda of redundant when there’s alreay an open weekend for Overwatch, Doom etc. If all those games are free for a weekend they’re competing with each other. Devs would rather have an open weekend wherein only their game was free. Not everyone is going to download and try every game even if it’s free.

I’ve been a plus subber years before it’d become necessary to play online, I personally prefer the ps3 era it was optional… just because I’ve many friends who don’t play nightly so the monthly fee seems excessive. Even though my own pov its amazing value

2.1

It would be amazing value if you got to keep the games as if you’ve purchased them, not just for the duration of your sub. Basically you’re paying a fee and get absolutely nothing out of it but the momentary experience of the rental game. Most PS+ enthusiasts don’t seem to understand the difference between buying/owning and renting. You’re going to feel like fools once this horrendous subscription is finally discontinued and your entire ‘momentary library’ is gone (not that there’s anything in it worth keepingOo).

Kinky_Friedman 17 February, 2017 @ 07:52
2.2

@Stonesthrow “You’re going to feel like fools once this horrendous subscription is finally discontinued and your entire ‘momentary library’ is gone (not that there’s anything in it worth keepingOo).”

So there’s absolutely nothing in the entire 6+ year PS+ catalogue worth keeping then? Really?

You don’t “keep” anything with PS+. You rent it, 50 euros every year.

The only value I got from PS+ was Yakuza 5 in English (I already got the physical game in Japanese). If I want to play it for the next six years, I’ll have to shell out 300 euros.

And remember that once you add something “free” to your PS+ catalogue, you can NOT buy it separately anymore. Which means the only way to access it is to renew your 50 euros subscription. That’s how Sony is making a truckload of money out of the service.

Show more replies

What would be nice is Mr Sony refunding 4 days subs to the folk who have paid for the period in question. It’s not fair to charge some people for the service and then give it for free to those who haven’t paid.

You do realise that you’re complaining about someone else getting, at most, 80p worth of free stuff? (minus most of the PS+ benefits)

Have some dignity man!

3.2

Not refund, but they could easily credit us with the free days so all their valued customers get free days of PS Plus.

I don’t play online. I’m a single player man. I just have plus for the free games and discounts and it soon pays for itself. I think giving non plus users a free weekend is a good idea.

It doesn’t pay for itself. YOU pay for it.

4.2

The money you save on discounted games and games you get to try for free means it pays for itself. But you continue to be miserable

The whole concept behind PS+ just sucks, games are good sometimes, but most of the time are just series Z Indies, online should be free like on PC and not pay service wich beside loosing some weight off your wallet l, grants you nothing useful.

Oh, how very generous. Giving us a 4 day glimpse of how it should be in the first place. And I bet it doesn’t add to our sub like those lousy 2 week trials that only work if you’ve never been subscribed. So more shameless marketing as opposed to just wanting to hand out a favour to your loyal customers for a change.

I hate PS+ with a passion. Even before it was mandatory for ps4 online I thought it was a shameless cash cow, now I’ve basically been forced to sub myself for years. Facepalm. It has single handedly put my regard for the once great Sony company on the same level as Microsoft. Who at least came up with the lousy idea as opposed to copying it. Oh how I miss the days when I was proud to be a Playstation gamer…

6.1

It costs money to maintain the servers which handle the online capabilities of the games we play. Somewhere along the line, it has to be paid for.

6.2

PS3, their very own predecessor, is proof that it was possible.
In a way they shot themselves in the foot twice, by first doing it right and giving us a taste of it, and then subsequently doing it wrong after seeing it from the competition. Either they should’ve gone paid online from the start so we never knew any better, or they should’ve done the right thing and kept it free, so the competition had to make changes in their strategy and online console gaming could’ve been free for all.
These companies make plenty of money to finance their own servers, this way they can just make a bunch extra easily, on our backs.

Still waiting for optional membership, Just for online multiplayer! PlayStation i don’t want yor rubbish free game, I’ll buy the game I want thanks, I like to choose them my self. Who would ever want someone else to choose there games!.!!!

I’m not sure how 4 days is going to convince anyone who doesn’t already subscribe to join up its like your dangling a rotten carrot top instead of a fresh carrot in front of a donkey

Well, it depends on how hungry the donkey is. I’m sure most donkeys would eat the rotten carrot aswell. They’d probably eat a poisoned carrot. Or a carrot with sharp blades in it.

I’m sad to move to PC but this PSPlus fee every month is horrible.Back in the day I had a PS1,PS2 and a PS3 which I was so happy with but ever since I tried to keep up with current gen I feel like I’ve been betrayed by Sony, I know they’re a company but I’m sure that keeping your fans content with your service is goal number 1.Anyhow, this is most likely my last comment as a PlayStation owner and I’m so torn as I really wanted that platinum on FFXV.

9.1

Yeah man, If you keep going for the humble bundles, and the monthly bundles, you’ll have the games they give away on Plus at least a month or two earlier… and within a year you’ll probably have gotten 200 games.

Il be expecting my money back for the days that ps plus is free! [DELETED] joke us paying for a service then they give it to players who havnt paid for free! Servers and games will be slow with everyone online!

U should give long time sub. Real games for free & no down time maintenance for days on end (JUST SAYING)!!!!

Oh wow.. four days. No free games. Who the fudge is going to want to play multiplayer for four days… anyone that wants to play multiplayer was already stupid enough to pay for it.

This is going to lose paying customers now coz the servers are going to be chock o block for days and its going to pee me off hope the games servers can handle it

I’m always wondering what the difference between PC and PS4 games is that owners of the former ones don’t have to play for online multiplayer. Don’t PC games require servers maintenance too?

If you could get away with charging people for something they don’t really need to pay for, would you not do it? Sony have always been about greed, it just took them a whole generation to commit to the mandatory PS Plus scam.

Thanks but I’ll be busy playing project cars from games with gold and star wars the force unleashed which is backwards compatible, and if I want to play online I know i’m not competing against someone playing the game with a better frame rate and higher resolution.

When the service was down in Christmas, I received an extra day on my suscription. Will I receive four extra days on my suscription like all of the people without suscription?

Вауууу !!! Та то є файнооо!!!

Вау крутооо!

It should be free to play online all the time, like in ps3 :)

That’s so cool! You’re too generous guys, you’ll let people “experience” what should have always been free for two whole days! Wow! I might be crazy though but I’ve been playing online games for free since about 20 years ago on PC, but whatever you say Sony.

Just 2 month and my subscription stops.
I’m so happy, no disappointing “free” games anymore.
This service was great on the PS3, but it went down the drain on the PS4.

You should get those free games and let other people pay you to let them play. Or ask your friends and family to pay you to get to play the PS Plus games.

Good game

Its 2:11 22nd February and I can’t play online ?? I have network connection

I live in Australia

:D

“From 10.00am on 22nd February until 23.59pm on 26th February we’re opening up the world of online multiplayer to everyone.” 10AM WHERE?Beacuse I just commented a :D so I would know the time and it says 8:12AM but for me it’s 10:14am ;( so 2 h more -_-

This dosent work why

Not working why??

twixgoesgamin464 22 February, 2017 @ 09:14

haha its 10:13 and still doesnt work…ggwp why it doesnt work?

29.1

I think i get it man, The time u posted this was 9:14, zo we will have to wait 45 min ????

It isnt working.

30.1

Maybe eastern or center time lol

JosefTrochtaCZE 22 February, 2017 @ 09:16

I had 10:15 but need wait 1h becase Greenwich time @.@

31.1

20 mins from now, ithink.

Why don’t PlayStation make it free for all time.
We pay for the game
Why should we pay for the online server !!?

Sony are missing a trick with this PS Plus crap. One single AAA title that isn’t in my collection and I’d consider buying a year’s membership. I don’t care how much these Indie titles amount to over a year, I have zero interest in them. It’s amazing, for example, that a game like Killzone has never once been offered in the monthly list; it’s crying out for more multiplayer participants and has been out since day 1.

Stop sleeping in Sony and give non-subscribers more incentive.

JosefTrochtaCZE 22 February, 2017 @ 10:00

Incoming enjoy

twixgoesgamin464 22 February, 2017 @ 10:09

look its more than 10am and i still cant play watch dogs 2 online…wtf is this

Its 10:15 and it isn’t working. Why!!!

36.1

Maybe eastern or center time lol

Still not working

No working!!!! I have awaken to just play online and now it is not working

I love the fact that I pay £50 for a game you loose your PlayStation+ subscription and then you can’t even play the game, so that £50 is well spent on nothing at all.

CAD-93_Condemner 22 February, 2017 @ 10:35

Half past ten in the morning, still not working. Can we get an update on why it isn’t working? Does it mean 10AM in another timezone besides UK time? If so why wasn’t it mentioned on the original post?

39.1

games

Still not working?

11:35 in the UK and it’s still not working so much for 10:00am

11:44am UK time and it is not working

Why is it not working 12:15 in uk right now and still isnt letting me play online WTaf??

11:50 i mean

Does’nt work, what is a problem?

It’s not working for me either. This is a joke

????

How we can join the event?

Why would it be Eastern time?

????

Why are we still left waiting with no information as to when the event will start

51.1

We’re aware some of you are not able to access the open multiplayer PS Plus event at the moment. We’re investigating, so sit tight.

“all you need to do is get comfy and complain about the lack of information” c’mon this is pretty silly, the advert is still the first thing up in bold on the PS plus menu but it isn’t even in effect. What’s the deal?

52.1

You’d think they’d at least let us know what’s going on but instead we are left twiddling our thumbs and waiting for this event to just start

1.30pm and it still does not work….

53.1

I know it is so annoying

Why is it still not working yet?

54.1

I think it may be Eastern Time

We should at least get an update. This is stupid.

2 pm qnd still not working

If they state 10am that is more likely to be 4pm the in the UK
As the US is 5-6 hours behind us so 10am here is 4-5am in the USA
It will be on try 3-4 pm UK

they advertise it on there European blog so it should have been on by now

Let’s see if it starts at 3:00pm then because I bet my bottom dollar it wont

CAD-93_Condemner 22 February, 2017 @ 15:11

3pm, still not working. Thanks for clearing up the confusion in the last FIVE HOURS on this page.

Oh that hasn’t happened yet? Shocking.

Yep definitely not still waiting like I have been for the past 5 hours

You may be aware Fred Dutton but can you at least keep us informed thanks

It doesn’t work
Black ops 3 online doesn’t work

is this available in PAL Region.? im in singapore its already Feb 22 11:52pm here..i tried to go online but it didnt work..

Now 16:02 and we are still none the wiser after 6 hours

epic fail

We have been waiting since 10 o clock to play online but still aint working man please solve it as soon as u can guys

hellcangetcomfy 22 February, 2017 @ 16:49

4:48 pm UK time and not working for me either

aryansinghal0706 22 February, 2017 @ 16:51

Hi everyone how can I change my sub account to a master account.Please tell me.

hellcangetcomfy 22 February, 2017 @ 16:54
69.1

Settings – parental controls – sub account management and then follow from there

CAD-93_Condemner 22 February, 2017 @ 17:28

Still not working as of half past five now.

Fixed yet sony?

well I give up! wish you wouldnt have emailed me if i cant get on…

Please have it fixed by 3am i got a date with ghost recon wildlands open beta

This is getting beyond a joke I mean is 18:00 the new 10:00 Sony?

Wow I could have done so much instead of this much waiting

There better be a compensation for this. This waiting is ridiculous. They’re so unreliable, sending a pointless email of an event that doesn’t even work.

Agitfootballskil 22 February, 2017 @ 18:10

It doesent let me play online
How do I do it

Ok so is this event February 22nd of 2030 and not 2017 Sony??!! What’s with the hold up and lack of information?

Agitfootballskil 22 February, 2017 @ 18:22

This is a joke fam

79.1

Actually thinking about converting to XBox

Let us keep ur game of the month and we can put this all behind us ;)

I have both Xbox and PS4, my subs ran out a week ago & i was looking forward to playing on the free weekend before getting back both subs later on. I must say that Xbox free weekend is running very smoothly working almost instantly when i sign in. This is a joke really Sony at least address the issue further for the people who have been up since 10 waiting to play.

This is such a joke man cmon ppl on xbox are enjoying their time we better get a free extra day for this ive been up since 10 waitong to play

Why is it still not working in the UK???

Come on PlayStation this is pathetic now we had better get an extra day for this because mine has been spent waiting for a nonexistent event and for somebody to tell me what on Earth is going on.

Im so disappointed because im not able to play this free event. Today was only datly i could play and theres a problem :(

Still waiting?

This is actually laughable not even a whiff of information after 9 HOURS of waiting and still no event. Where’s the dedication to the players PlayStation

1st time sony have made me disappointed

7.35pm here in UK and nothing,nada,zilch.

Not working!

It seems that it’s not working for anyone including myself.

Does anyone else just enjoy wasting hours waiting for an event because I’ve never had so much fun in my entire existence

stop whining and go find some other activity it looks like you have nothing better to do like sit there refresh page every minute and cry how bad it is and how this is waste of time… Well not sony is wasting your time but you by yourself… go read a book or something. Test this stuff tomorrow. Don’t make a big drama from such a little thing…. dont be a drama queens… No offence please. Peace.

P.S. not working too.

Still waiting

Finally thank you

Is it working?

Now guys stop whining and go play your game,
Might just work;)

PedroDCeltic2000 22 February, 2017 @ 20:36

Its now working for me

Try restarting your PS4 guys or resetting your wifi

I played FF17 at 10am UK and it’s working until now guys

at last :)

24 hrs in and its still not working any way lol

102.1

my bad its working and only about 12 hours late so cant complain

Suddenly the online function stopped while playing fifa17 after one day

Its still not working for me

104.1

Every time i try join online it makes me try pay dor it.

104.2

It’s the same for me. Was working fine earlier

104.3

Its down for me as well and just sends me to the “psPlus membership” page where it gives me the option of buying a membership or using a 2-day-trial.

Show more replies
JosefTrochtaCZE 24 February, 2017 @ 05:46

Yesterday I played Fifa 17 online normall now I can’t want pay it cmon fix it we are losing event time!!!

A progress update would be great, because we’ve only got 63 hours left and psPlus still isn’t responding.

Well, it was nice playing online for TWO days, not FOUR, for me it’s not working anymore and it is February 24th.

To me it worked at 23 of february (yday) i played some bloodborne online and today it asks for me to make a psn plus membership what happened sony?

I’m not able to play multiplayer……yesterday is was working (I’m talking about free multiplayer event)….plz help

And its not even working, free online week requires ps plus?? Why the hell am i not able to play online if its free.

Hope you will figure out how to fix those issues soon…

Not working now, was working till yesterday ????????

How much time it will take man……only two days remaining till event ends,Sony this was not expected from u….????

Today is not working !!

Is it working for someone ?

Ok, how about my solution for this crappy service that no1 likes.
1. Make the subscription fee at 4$ per month.
2.Give free online multiplayer the weekends only. (Any Game)

That way everyone will be happy playing Big Parties on weekends, while ps plus members will have more time to develop skills and stuff (with no server overload).

MutantHunter307 25 February, 2017 @ 18:17

The email stated 22 to 26 but it does email to way.

MutantHunter307 25 February, 2017 @ 18:21
117.1

Does not seem that way*

Many ppl complaining about this…
I mean, how does these 4 days affect you? this is just more like: hey, take this demo, if you like it you can buy the game and continue from where you stopped playing…
ofc, more ps plus subs – more money, more money – better servers (at least that’s how I hope they spend our money…) that also means better monthly titles not only servers..
so yeah, they should do this free thing every 3 months imo

118.1

Well, the point is maybe different: If I would consider buying a subscription on experience from these 5 days (full of outages, kick outs etc.), then I would definitely never buy it. So it’s a bit opposite to the demo that tries to show the best parts of the game.

Actually, I wouldn’t subscribe to PS Plus anyway, because I hate “subscription business model” in any form, but that’s a different story ;)

Hello. Sorry to ask this on here since it may not fit the subject closely, but I can’t find the answer. Can anyone tell me how long a PlayStation Plus membership can be extended by stacking memberships. I tried to stack a 12month subscription on from a code I bought on eBay. It didn’t add on, but the company is trying to tell me I can only have 12months on my membership. Any help on this would be great. Even if I am in the wrong.

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history