Posted

Final Fantasy XIV’s free trial loses its 14 day time restriction

You can now play up to Level 35 without needing to clock watch

Good news – the clock isn’t ticking anymore! The Final Fantasy XIV free trial has unequipped its 14-day time restriction. Free trial players are now able to access all content up to level 35 without any clock ticking the play time away! Adventurers can try out awesome jobs, test their skills on the first 10 levels of the Deep Dungeon and indulge in all the activities the Gold Saucer has to offer, such as Chocobo Racing!

TITLE

The time restriction has been removed from all free trial accounts – even the expired accounts will be brought back to life, allowing players to continue their previous adventures. If you tried the free trial before but time flew by too fast, you can come back and pick up exactly where you left off with the same character!

Perhaps you played the free trial three years ago and didn’t have the time to try out everything you wanted, well now’s the time to return! Polish your skills in the Hall of the Novice and learn how all of the different roles work. Take your time, sit on the pier admiring the sunset at Costa del Sol whilst leveling up your fisher. Got an ache for new shiny weapons? Try out blacksmithing! If you want to truly test your skills, you could face the hardest battle on the free trial and overcome Titan, the Lord of Crags, himself!

TITLE

Eorzea is your oyster! You can level up all classes to level 35 – you have all the time in the world. You can download the free trial client on PlayStation store here!

See you in Eorzea!

24 Comments
9 Author replies
LagerTopNick 28 March, 2017 @ 12:02

This is cool but my question is this…
I’ve had the game since it first released on PS4 and haven’t played it for over a year. If I load up the client and log in on a new character will this free “trial period” be active or am I stuck having to pay the sub?
I really want to jump back into it but the sub fee puts me off. If I fall in love with it again during the time it takes me to level i’ll have no problem paying.

Thanks for responses in advance.

icecrasher_zero 28 March, 2017 @ 12:31
1.1

You can play it for free unless you bought the game.

Daniela Wnuk 28 March, 2017 @ 18:02
1.2

Hello there!
Since you’ve already upgraded to the full game itself, the free trial is inaccessible with that account. If you do desperately want to try out the free trial, you will have to make a new account with a new character. Bear in mind that the free trial game has some limitations such as you can’t make your own party, you can only level up to level 35 and Palace of the Dead / Deep Dungeon is restricted to the first 10 floors. I hope this helped!

LagerTopNick 29 March, 2017 @ 12:19
1.3

Very helpful, thank you. I think I will just renew my sub :)

dark_angel69 28 March, 2017 @ 12:22

That’s great news! Quite happy with that. I’ve been wanting to play the trial for quite a long time now but never had the time to put 14 days into it. Would have been lucky to even get 1 day out of it. So now I can focus on it on my own time without a worry of it expiring before I get a decent play form it.

Daniela Wnuk 28 March, 2017 @ 18:10
2.1

I’m glad you’re happy with the news! Games are usually more enjoyable when there is no panic to experience as much as possible within X amount of time while the real life is calling your name. :) Enjoy your time in Eorzea!

Lt_Fed_Brusque 28 March, 2017 @ 13:09

Very smart idea :) I love this game because its a slow burn and it really takes its time easing you into the world and teaching you about the political organisations and NPCs.

It isn’t until the level 30-ish quests that the story starts to ramp up in an exciting way. Its great that newcomers can now take their time and immerse themselves in Eorzea freely. Its a great place to spend time out from the cold and cynical real world :)

Daniela Wnuk 28 March, 2017 @ 18:37
3.1

I’m glad you like the news! I agree with you, the game does have a learning curve in the beginning as there is so much to do in Eorzea.

tenshi_alpha 28 March, 2017 @ 13:53

When I got the game with 1 month trial back on PS3, I was level 49 at the end of the month. With a ton of moderately-levelled sub-jobs and crafting / gathering. So… level 35 might actually be more of a restriction?

4.1

That was the month free trial when you bought the game. This was a free download of the client accompanied by a 14 day trial. Slightly different.

tenshi_alpha 28 March, 2017 @ 16:13
4.2

I know, but I think I might have been beyond level 35 by the 14th day.

Daniela Wnuk 28 March, 2017 @ 18:41
4.3

The game itself probably had 30 days of free game time. Also, as you bought the full game you didn’t have the restrictions the free trialers had (can’t make your own party, limited amount of gil you can earn etc). Though, it is possible to level up really fast, but people have different playing styles and some level up slower – taking in the scenery and playing Triple Triad in Gold Saucer. :)

Good call doing away with the 14 day trial. Might actually get more people into the game since they actually have a chance to see more of the story, which is absolutely fantastic, even more so for a MMO standard.

Daniela Wnuk 29 March, 2017 @ 17:02
5.1

Hi there! I totally agree with you, also with a countdown clock people often feel the need to skip cutscenes etc and that way miss part of the story – now there’s a lot less pressure. When I played FFXIV the first time, I didn’t even get into level 35 content in the first 14 days.

I have the full game. Not played in over a year now. Think I was only level 20 when I last played. If I was to install the full game again. I can play for free up until level 35? Or I can continue playing but I just can’t level up any more until I re-sub?

Daniela Wnuk 31 March, 2017 @ 17:52
6.1

Hello! I’m afraid that’s not possible as the free trial is available for people who don’t have the full game yet. If you desperately want to try out the free trial, you will need to create a new account and start from the beginning. If you want to continue playing with your old character, you will need to subscribe. I hope this cleared things up! :)

UK_Rocklance 28 March, 2017 @ 19:19

So what happens when you reach level 35? You won’t be able to access the trial any more, or you can still continue playing, exploring and doing all sorts of activities meant for lower levels, just that you will not see an increase in your level? If the latter, let’s say I continue to play and should have been level 50 but the trial caps at 35, if I buy the full game and subscription, will I continue at level 35 or level 50?

Once you reach level 35 you won’t get more XP. Or maybe you get XP until you’re one 1XP from reaching lvl 36.
The thing with this game is that you can simply swap weapon which also swaps your class/job. So you without the time restriction you can have all classes and jobs (excluding expansion jobs) up to level 35. Once you unlock the full game license you continue from lvl 35.

There are other restrictions on the trial though. You can’t use the marketboard, you can’t send private messages, you can’t create parties, you can’t trade with other players and you have limited gil. This prevents RMTs from creating trial accounts and disrupt the economy.
You can still get gear and weapons from quests and you can craft it yourself if you level the crafting classes.

Nice play Square Enix :D
One question: Old trial accounts are no elegible for this promotion?
Best regards!

It’s in the article: if you had a trial before you can pick it up where you left it. But only if you never upgraded it to a full paid account. Then it’s no longer a trial.

Played the game and had fun, right up to Heavensward’s stupid area-locking. That’s when we quit. Still, they won’t care as they got our money for the expansion.

The normal (up to level 50) areas can all be accessed just by travelling to them, sometimes by circuitous routes as the boats and airships aren’t available until unlocked in the story. Not so in Heavensward – do the dungeons or don’t get to the next area. Just wanted to have fun fishing there and the dungeons were terrible, even with friends rather than randoms.

Won’t be buying and more expansions or subbing ever again after they did that to us.

UltraSilver64 29 March, 2017 @ 08:13

Great news that you allow players to try FF XIV without a time restriction. Though could you mention it on the PS Store itself? It is still saying that it’s a 14-day trial in the description.

Daniela Wnuk 31 March, 2017 @ 17:58
10.1

Hello! The information should be reflected on the PS Store as well already. :)

iscah_rambles 29 March, 2017 @ 13:23

I picked up a cheap disc copy a little while back (for $5!) but haven’t played it yet. Will the free access be compatible with that, so I don’t have to download big online files for it?
It also came with a one-month subscription code, so I gather that I would have to make use of the free trial account *before* activating that, because the free trial won’t work after?

Daniela Wnuk 31 March, 2017 @ 18:01
11.1

Hello there! It sounds like you’ve bought yourself the full game itself and it came with one month of subscription. If you start playing the full game, then you can’t try the free trial on the same account anymore. Either way, you still have to do some downloading… what I would suggest is try out the free trial and then dive into the full game you bought. :)

iscah_rambles 01 April, 2017 @ 14:54
11.2

Thanks. I got the game installed off the disc and went to download the trial client… only to realise it isn’t available for the PS3 version, which is what I’ve got. So, the PS4 version being 11GB and an entire month’s quota of internet access for me, I guess I won’t be playing for a while yet…

“The time restriction has been removed from all free trial accounts – even the expired accounts will be brought back to life, allowing players to continue their previous adventures.”

Are you sure about this? Because I’m getting this message:

“Square Enix accounts that have already registered for a FINAL FANTASY XIV service account are not eligible for a free trial.
Please log in using a Square Enix account that has not registered a FINAL FANTASY XIV service account.”

MoustacheSteve 30 March, 2017 @ 18:16
12.1

I’m getting the same thing. Apparently if you played in the beta, you can’t do the trial. Really lame, was hoping to see what the game is like these days.

12.2

Happens the same thing with me

Daniela Wnuk 31 March, 2017 @ 18:08
12.3

Hello! I’d suggest to contact our customer service who can look into why it’s not working as planned.
For EU: https://support.eu.square-enix.com/contact.php?id=5383&la=2
NA: https://support.na.square-enix.com/contact.php?id=5382&la=1

I hope it works out!

Downloaded the free trial but having trouble logging in. It’s got the wrong square Enix username listed but it doesn’t let me change it.

The trial is only for the PS4 version, correct? I’m aware that you ceased support for the PS3 version, and that you delisted the old 14 day trials for both versions… but still.

so desperate to lure in new people?

Problem is that the game gets boring fast after a while.
Ive renewed twice for a month of two till i catched up with everything and then i noticed doing the same thing over and over and over so i quit.

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history