Posted

Jak and Daxter PS2 Classics coming to PlayStation 4

Naughty Dog classics Jak and Daxter, Jak II, Jak 3 and Jak X: Combat Racing get an HD upgrade later this year

The dynamic duo is back! We are delighted to announce that Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, Jak II, and Jak 3 will be available on PS4 via download on PlayStation Store later this year!

We are delighted to announce that Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, Jak II, and Jak 3 will be available on PS4 via download on PlayStation Store later this year! Longtime fans and new players alike can experience the incredible exploits of Jak and Daxter as the duo sets out to explore ancient lands and unravel the mysteries of the Precursors.

"HorizonHorizon Zero Dawn Horizon Zero Dawn

And we’re not done… ready to get car-Jakked?

Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy

That’s right! Jak X: Combat Racing, Naughty Dog’s wild vehicular combat PS2 classic will be available for the first time anywhere since its release back in October 2005. Originally released for PS2, Jak X will make its way onto PS4 later this year.

Play Adventure or Exhibition mode in this no-holds-barred buggy brawler for hours of challenge and fun. Although there will be no online features, you can still battle against your friends via splitscreen.

Experience these Naughty Dog PS2 classics with 1080p up-rendering and Trophy support. Additional enhanced features include Shareplay, Remote Play, and Activity Feeds (an active PlayStation Plus membership is required to use certain online features).

We hope you are excited as we are about these games — stay tuned for more news as we get closer to launch!

62 Comments
0 Author replies
counterUAVbaby 03 April, 2017 @ 16:15

OH WOW! I just want a PS4 console just for this! JAK X OMG! Lost my mind now!

StevenJamesHyde 03 April, 2017 @ 16:19

It’s nice to know that the PS2 on PS4 initiative isn’t dead, but I can’t help but think the effort would be better spent bringing across games that haven’t already been made available and given away on PS3 and Vita

Jak X Combat Racing is interesting though, especially after its cameo in Left Behind

UltraSilver64 04 April, 2017 @ 18:08
2.1

I completely agree. When they originally announced that Dark Cloud, Dark Chronicle and Rogue Galaxy (my favourite 3 Level 5 RPGs of the PS2 era) were being released on PS4, I was literally blown away.

I already have these 3 on PS3, but a chance to have them on PS4 alongside Jak X is definitely a great challenge. The only question is will other PS2 greats have this opportunity…

Fastandslowv2 03 April, 2017 @ 16:23

yes yes yes i won’t play em again since i have them on Hd on ps3 but i will deffo be picking ip Jax racing x

Pleased to hear. Any chance, since Jak X is being resurrected, we could get it ported to Vita too?

counterUAVbaby 03 April, 2017 @ 16:39
4.1

Oh no hell no it will destroy the legacy of the game seeing the performance on previous titles on Vita.

4.2

Lol, wat? Just play the PS2 version if you’re bothered about “legacy”. Or the PS4 versions.

Have you not played Jak II/3 on Vita? It was a disaster at times. CounterUAVbaby has a good point here.

Show more replies

Some of the best platform games ever.

Woop. Can’t wait. Didn’t pick up the HD remasters a while ago but will check out these for sure.

CoolRichy007UK 03 April, 2017 @ 16:54
6.1

Im deffo getting all 4 hopefully in 1 collection as well kruddy

ThroughTheIris56 03 April, 2017 @ 16:44

Awesome that these are coming back, especially Jak X since it wasn’t re-released on PS3. Would be especially nice if it led to Jak 4.

Will the trilogy be free to those who brought it on PS3?

CoolRichy007UK 03 April, 2017 @ 16:51
7.1

1 all jak games are ps2 not ps3 and 2 they will be in a collection just like uncharted remaster

I’m pretty sure he’s referring to the PS3 remaster dood

Carnivius_Prime 03 April, 2017 @ 16:45

Really enjoyed the first one when I bought the HD pack on PS3 but couldn’t seem to get into 2 and 3. Maybe will try again on my PS4 when these come out.

counterUAVbaby 03 April, 2017 @ 16:49
8.1

2, I can understand, never finished the game because of difficulty but 3 was Legend-ARY! :D

8.2

I loved one. Hated 2 and thought 3 was ok.

I said that on YouTube video once and several jak fanboys went mental.

I didn’t say they were bad just I didn’t like them but apparently I wasn’t allowed to have that opinion lol

Carnivius_Prime 03 April, 2017 @ 19:46
8.3

I think it was that Jak 1 was a very pleasant and enjoyable 3D platformer and after that it sorta got a bit too oddly like GTA for my liking.

Definitely going to pick up The precursor legacy since that’s a favourite of mine. But I do have one request…. PLEASE BRING DAXTER to PS4…. Pretty please with cherries on top :P

counterUAVbaby 03 April, 2017 @ 16:54
9.1

I definitely recommend you getting JAK X as well if you haven’t played it! :D <3

9.2

Noted, i’ll give Jak X a whirl :)

counterUAVbaby 05 April, 2017 @ 22:43
9.3

You won’t be disappointed! :D <3

CoolRichy007UK 03 April, 2017 @ 16:49

Omg Omg Omg Omg Omg x200000000000000000000 im so exited about these games coming to ps store later this year in a collection i think i remember having all 3 games at Christmas but didnt own jak x , i hope pre order gets added to ps store soon, all we need now is a ratchet clank collection woooohoo best news ever

Long shot, but, cross-buy with the PS3 versions?

11.1

I concur :D

11.2

That would be awesome, although, they don’t do all of this for free

Why are these the PS2 versions?! I get it for games like the GTA trilogy where those were the only versions, but the Jak games have HD ports already. Feels like a major step back not to have these versions on the latest console.

counterUAVbaby 03 April, 2017 @ 17:06
12.1

It isn’t PS2 Classics! It’s a remaster designer for PS4.

counterUAVbaby 03 April, 2017 @ 17:08
12.2

*designed

counterUAVbaby 03 April, 2017 @ 18:06
12.3

Nevermind it’s PS2 to PS4.

Show more replies
Captain_Nick 03 April, 2017 @ 17:03

So Jak X just comes in the form of a PS2 classic? And no online multiplayer, after all these years that’s a big disappointment. Was hoping for an HD remake closely behind the Jak and daxter trilogy and when it finally comes 5 years later it’s like this. Was hoping to play the MP since I never got the chance on the PS2 on which I couldn’t play online.

counterUAVbaby 03 April, 2017 @ 17:08
13.1

I think it will come with it’s online features! I hope it does, I’m in the same boat as well! :D

Captain_Nick 03 April, 2017 @ 18:39
13.2

@ counterUAVbaby: There won’t be, it says so in the article.

counterUAVbaby 03 April, 2017 @ 20:19
13.3

Yes, I read it :( What a waste of chance!

Show more replies

YES!!! Jak X FINALLY. I’m not that bothered with the trilogy since we got it on PS3 in HD before and then you “Cross Buyed” it over for the Vita too. It would be great if we, who already own the Jak Trilogy digitally, wouldn’t have to pay for it again.

Does this mean you are getting the finger out and are going to bring us other “Classic” Sony PS2 titles also? Why is it that Rockstar Games is the only big publisher that wants to take our money for PS2 Classics for PS3 and now PS2 HD Classics for PS4 also??? They have just about every one of their biggest games on it already after a year and a half.

And STOP releasing PS2 HD clas...

Show full comment

And STOP releasing PS2 HD classics WITHOUT Platinum trophies. If it was a full retail priced game at the time, like Primal, why treat it like a smaller downloadable title with less trophies???

Phew, still, excited for Jak X: Combat Racing. :)

counterUAVbaby 03 April, 2017 @ 17:09
14.1

“Where is The Getaway 1 and 2, Jak and Daxter The Lost Frontier, Gran Turismo 3 and 4 (could have filled the great GT void this past 3 and a half years you know), Ratchet and Clank Size Matters (and every other R&C game for that “matter” lol), Syphon Filter Dark Mirror, Motorstorm Arctic Edge (pretty much all of those PSP games that were later ported to PS2).<"

I agree, especially for GETAWAY GAMES! So underrated :(

Bring back Rollcage for ps4

I know already it’s a dumb question, but anyway here I go:

Is there any hope that the Jak and Daxter PS2 Classics are cross-buy with the PS3/Vita versions of the Jak and Daxter Collection? Or at least discounted for those like me who bought the Jak and Daxter Collection already?

Please Sony don’t become pathetic like Nintendo eShop’s classic games that have to be bought again every time a new console comes out.

I ‘d rather Sony ported the PS3 versions to PS4 than the PS2 ones upscaled.

CluckNuggets 03 April, 2017 @ 20:52
16.1

There’s literally no prospect to get this on cross buy. It’s called money.

16.2

@CluckNuggets Well technically there could be. They had to build the games up again from scratch for Vita (the same with Ratchet and Sly too) and then if you already had on on PS3 digitally, you actually didn’t have to pay for it again, even though the work was put in later to port them to another platform. It wasn’t about money then, not sure why it would be any different today.

There is no reason the same thing can’t apply here OR they build a little system for this particular release where they link the purchase of these PS2 HD releases on the PS Store to the original PS3 ports. Its simply down to if they will or not do that for us.

Good news! Although I am hoping that people who bought the Jak and Daxter Trilogy digitally through PlayStation Store in the past (for PS3 and Vita) will get some sort of discount or continued cross-buy with PS4 for these titles.

Also, is there any chance these titles will be released physically on a PS4 disc? This is something I’d like to see more with PS2-to-PS4 Classics like ‘Primal,’ ‘The Mark of Kri,’ ‘Rise of the Kasai’ and other great games available…

counterUAVbaby 03 April, 2017 @ 18:05

Uuuh! Taken from US Blog “These titles have been converted from the original PlayStation®2 version to the PS4™ system. Consequently, there may be times where the titles play differently from the PlayStation®2 version, or where some features may not function properly. These versions do not support PlayStation®2 peripherals, therefore some functionality may not be available.”

CluckNuggets 03 April, 2017 @ 21:27
18.1

I would assume then that Analog Buttons won’t be supported and perhaps the select button?

DoYouLikeMyID 03 April, 2017 @ 18:19

While we’re on the topic of PS2 classics, could we perhaps get Klonoa 2: Lunatea’s Veil on the PS4? :) I would personally love to have it on PS4. Like Jak X, it’s never been available anywhere other than the PS2.

Can we please have a physical retail version for this ? It deserves it !!!

I guess it’s not going to be the standard of ratchet and clank and crash bandicoot remakes, that’s a shame the standerd been set, I hope so.not much to go on that trailer.

21.1

If you mean these games won’t be built from the ground up entirely like a brand new game for this gen, no, these PS2 HD ports clearly aren’t the same thing at all, in even the slightest lol. Its sort of obvious from even the title.

DemonicPrime 03 April, 2017 @ 22:47

My goodness. I didn’t think they’d actually do this but here we are. I’m excited! Definitely a day one buy for me.

JediKnight246 04 April, 2017 @ 00:12

Good to see more PS2 games coming to PS4 but hopefully this is just the start. There’s not much point in having PS2 compatibility, if it ends up like PS2 Classics on PS3 where most PS2 games were still unavailable.

Games like this is what we need I am 19 years old and Jak and daxter is one of my favorite games.!!!!
And I believe we deserve a new one for PS4 next gen it would be awesome.

Crash Bandicoot and Ratchet show how it’s done, this is just lazy so I’ll pass.

I’m curious will they fix the Jak X bug which broken many PS2 memory cards :)

CaptainWitwicky 04 April, 2017 @ 12:25

Will Jak X contain the memory card sharing bonus from the PS2 era? Like, I remember playing as Ratchet!

CaptainWitwicky 04 April, 2017 @ 12:29
27.1

Oh yeah, and take a look at the memory card breaking bug. Probably the reason why I haven’t touched Jak X since then.

So damn happy now…. Jakx in HD and the best trilogy ever made on ps4 <3 now… MAKE JAK4!

bluemoon1987 04 April, 2017 @ 21:26

Loved them on ps2, got the ps3 HD collection. See no need to buy it for a third time though.

TankedThomas 06 April, 2017 @ 11:40

What is the point of this? Clearly, everyone thinks these are the HD remasters from the PS3 and Vita.
Newsflash, they’re not, and Sony is lying through their teeth about these being HD (sort of). These are upscaled to HD, NOT true HD remasters in any sense of the word. They are emulated PS2 games and inferior to the PS3 remasters, visually speaking at the very least.

Plus we still can’t play our PS2 discs nor can we play digital PS2 games bought for PS3 (both of which are entirely doable, but clearly Sony is just doing this to get more free money).

Just to reiterate: these are not ports, nor are these remasters. They are PS2 games in an emulator on your PS4, upscaled and with trophy support. You can do this on your own computer (preferably with your own legitimate copies of games).

Dazzadaman92 24 April, 2017 @ 21:47

I never had a PS3, so I didn’t get the chance to get the HD remakes. So I am of course overjoyed to have the chance to get them on PS4. Just need a release date!!!

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history