Loot Rascals has been out for over a month now, and it’s been amazing to see people start to unpick its mysteries and figure out strategies to survive the various mean and unpleasant things the game throws at them.
We’re aware that it’s a really hard game, so the fact that so many people have beaten it repeatedly is kind of amazing! Maybe one day someone will even figure out what those mysterious artefacts do?
But we’ve also spoken to a number of folks who felt a bit stuck – struggling to get over the initial difficulty hurdle – and by asking them questions about what seemed to be going wrong, we’ve compiled a collection of tips to help out new players. We’ve split them into a few different categories, for players of different abilities – the list below contains minor spoilers, obviously.
We’ve yet to find a seed that’s impossible to beat, although some of them are very hard and require advanced strategies to succeed. Don’t give up – we believe in you!
- The most important thing is choosing your battles:
- Health is your most valuable resource, conserve it.
- Fight weak enemies first, you might gain cards to help with the stronger ones.
- If you can avoid an enemy hitting you, it’s probably worth it.
- Read the combat maths board in the dome.
- Attack is more valuable than defence, but neglecting defence too much puts you at great risk.
- Rascals can’t walk on bombs, but you can, use this to blow them up!
- The biggest, nastiest rascals usually have good cards, if you can kill one somehow it might be worth the effort.
- If you’ve found an exit portal, but have spare turns before reinforcements appear, consider exploring further to find more cards.
- Drop ability cards on the cards you are least likely to get rid of. In fact, consider keeping ability cards unassigned until you actually need them.
- Always kill Golden Pinchlets! They’ve got the good stuff!
- A tough Lunk at the start of the second Area could easily ruin your run. Tiptoe around them and let them sleep.
- You can waste lots of turns chasing Whiskas around, and it’s not always worth it if you can run away from the Clunkers they are generating instead.
- If there’s an ice block preventing you from reaching the exit, it’ll melt soon enough.
- Rascals with higher power values move with precedence over rascals with lower power values.
- Ice blocks last longer when used on an empty tile, you can sometimes hold rascals away for longer this way.
- You can explode bombs with a remote fire attack. You can freeze bombs even when they’re armed.
- There are a bunch of rascals for whom teleporting onto them to attack is an excellent strategy.
- You can enter combat with an enemy, get in a punch, teleport away and enter combat with them again to get a double hit!
- Avoid placing sticky cards at the ends, if you find a Muscle Torch or Gains Lamp you’re best placing them on the end of a row.
Having bad luck? Stay the course – maybe the best loot ever is just around the corner! Trapped? Stop moving, take careful stock of all your cards and abilities – maybe you have the tools for a cunning escape.
If all else fails, blame @whitingjp.