Posted

Ninja Theory’s Viking-inspired adventure Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice comes to PS4 on 8th August

New trailer debuts as pre-orders go live

Hello, Dom here from Ninja Theory. After 3 years of open and independent development, we’re excited to announce that Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice will be coming to PlayStation 4 on 8th August 2017! From today you can pre-order Hellblade for €29.99/£24.99 and receive a bonus PlayStation 4 Dynamic Theme that depicts the iconic burning tree scene from the game.

To celebrate the announcement, we have released a new trailer:

For those new to Hellblade, the game is the story of Senua, a traumatised Celtic warrior journeying into the Viking underworld of hel. We have created the game in collaboration with neuroscientists as well as people who live with psychosis. We hope Hellblade is an experience unlike no other.

TITLE

In Hellblade we are aiming to revive the lost space between indie and AAA gaming. Where creatively diverse experiences made with AAA values can thrive once again.

We’ve taken a small team of around 20 people and created a focused and rich experience that looks and feels as good as any blockbuster title.

Hellblade is about half the length of a regular AAA game and priced at about half the cost. A price that we think is fair to both you and us.

Our hope is that if we make our Independent AAA work with Hellblade, other developers will follow, leading to a more creative and diverse gaming world for developers and players alike.

TITLE

We’ve been humbled by the support that we’ve had from the PlayStation fans throughout development. You’ve followed our journey, shared our updates and encouraged us to follow our vision to its fullest. We’ve shared our development ups and downs with you, given you an insight into the world of creating a game like Hellblade and listened to what you’ve had to say. Now, as we approach launch, we ask you to rally round, pre-order Hellblade and help make this project a success for us, you and all of gaming.

Thank you.

20 Comments
0 Author replies

Awesome. August looking like it’s going to be a really good month.

WileyCoyote0984 06 June, 2017 @ 17:07

Been looking forward to this since it was first announced.day one for me.congrats guys!

medenko1975 06 June, 2017 @ 17:24

No retail?

Gloom12356776543 06 June, 2017 @ 20:15

Please !!! we want Retail :( :( :(

I really hope your mission is going to be a huge success, and your vision is going to be the future of gaming. I’d love that!

I’m looking forward to play this game very much since the beginning, and gonna buy it with a smile on my face for sure

Best of luck!

burakcetinkay 07 June, 2017 @ 04:10

<3 cant wait!!!

I can’t take this game seriously at all now that Senua has been given the face of Timmy from South Park. What were you guys thinking?

TIMMMMMMMMYYYYY!

Grim_streaker999 07 June, 2017 @ 07:06

Will this be a though game like Nioh,or could I enjoy it?

Grim_streaker999 07 June, 2017 @ 07:08

PPs Im still struggling with the first boss on Nioh :/

9.1

Seriously, it can’t be that difficult. Just Trial and Error all over the game.

Grim_streaker999 07 June, 2017 @ 11:41
9.2

Well Im a leasure player, I mostly play to relax. (Games like bf and titanfall, being the exceptions)

So when the trial and error gameplay stretch out to much, I just get frustrated instead of seeing it as a challenge.

Although I love the aspects of Nioh, the difficulty made me stop playing it. A somewhat chance of decrease in difficulty, would make the game more enjoyable for me.

9.3

GIT GUD

Show more replies

This has always looked stunning and it’s interesting to see it launch at such a fair price, thanks for being up front and open about the length of the content.

I certainly support this sort of thing as it is tiring to see endless £55-85 multiplayer annuals.

MIGHTYMECHANIC 07 June, 2017 @ 13:58

I remember watching a 360 degree 3d video for this on YouTube using my PlayStation VR. Does this mean a VR compatibility mode may be coming at some stage. I’m guessing there won’t be at launch as Sony would already be pushing this as a VR title. But if it is then my interest in this game would go from being quite interested to very interested indeed as the game world looked quite absorbing and seeing into the tormented eyes of the protagonist as she’s stood right in front of you adds an emotional depth you rarely see or feel in a video game.

I’m less bothered by the strange price and the confidential August release than I am by the average “Rise of the Tomb Raider look” that this game seems to copycat to a fault. Non-interactive crawling cutscenes? Check. Constantly moaning character? Check. If you add a longbow to her arsenal, the doppelganger is complete.

And I’m sorry to say — but ten years later, Heavenly Sword still looks better and more fun to play.

OffirYehezkel25 08 June, 2017 @ 17:18

Why no retail?? Uncharted & Get Even both cost 24.99 and they both get retail release. :(

tpepper1985 09 June, 2017 @ 13:50

Why no retail? Because why bother? I mean get with the times Digital is the way things will end up sooner or later and everyone knows it. Maybe it will take another 5-10 years but eventually physical media will stop being a thing. Probably another reason they are able to keep the price low is cutting out a physical release

I applaud the Dev for just going digital, maybe they will lose some sales from those who refuse to buy a game without a box, but that’s thier loss if it’s a great game it doesn’t matter how you get it on your hard drive.

Good luck with the launch I will be keeping an eye on it for sure.

Sr_Livindeath 22 June, 2017 @ 15:00

is this Horizon Zero Down new dlc? XD

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history